Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I'm gonna start fishing again on my trips, though I don't think I'll get too crazy like carrying a poo poo ton of flies and fishing gear. Just enough stuff to get a fly on the water and bring something in if I catch it. Undecided if I'll eat any

Lots of fish in the lakes and streams in the Sierra though, seems a shame to not give it a go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

beefnoodle posted:

Tenkara's great for that. A few oz. for a complete setup, which means I always have a rig with me when hiking.

yup, that's what I'm going for.

We used to always bring fishing rods when we went backpacking when I was a kid (I'd mainly use spinners and a bubble and fly setup because apparently my dad was too lazy to teach me to fly fish :argh: ) and I kind of want to do that again. Gives you something to kind of relax and do at the end of the day as well

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I think I'm looking for a 12' rod since I'm aiming to be doing lake fishing and alpine streams where trees and brush aren't really a big concern.

I think I generally understand how traditional fly fishing works but I never got much of a chance or inclination to learn

e: what is that, a plastic rod case, rod, two furled or level lines, tippet line, flies, tools for releasing fish etc, stuff to carry it?

Levitate fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 30, 2015

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Yup I imagine just going for fish cruising the edges and as I said some of the streams along the way. I'm actually gonna buy one once I get some return credit back on amazon and then can spend the rest of the winter working out the kit and details

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

just bought a 12 foot tenkara rod, looking forward to playing with it

guess I should read up on flies a bit

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

Sweet! Get yourself a $38 vise and tool kit, some thread and some hackle feathers, and the book Simple Flies. If you really want to learn about Tenkara fishing and techniques, get this book. He's got some basic fly patterns in there, too, I think. Realistically, learn to make a kebari you like and a killer bug pattern, and you've got all you need for drat near anything, just vary the size and colors.

Sparkle Bugs!

Found some nifty embroidery thread at Walmart. Gonna play with this stuff for a while. It should strip down and make nice flash.

Here's my first fish of the year. Little rainbow stocker from the tailwater. Caught him on a blue kebari and my Tenkara Rod Co Teton rod.

Here's my blue kebari.

Not sure if I'm going to get into fly tying, at least yet. Dunno, gonna depend on how much time I start sinking into it I guess

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

If you're catch and releasing really try to not take them out of the water. It greatly increased the chance they'll die later even if they're alive when you let them go. Also don't hold them by the gills

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Agean90 posted:

i work with fish and wildlife in Washington. i used to want to fish but having to work with fishermen has made me one good recruitment drive away from ecoterrorism

Is it just that no one wants to follow the rules or something?

this reminds me I need to buy a fishing license

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Went backpacking last weekend and caught some brook trout, probably 6-8 inch guys. Fishing in high mountain lakes is kind of cheating though because they'll bite on pretty much anything. I'll see if I can dig up a pic

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Little guy I caught a couple of weeks ago at Royal Arch Lake

Caught some bigger ones later in the day at a different lake but don't have pictures of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Gotta say I love that you all keep this thread/forum alive. At least one thread here really caught on!

I gotta start planning out all my trips for next year and should make sure I get in some that have available lake fishing...