Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Usenet Magic-User posted:

I disagree, there are many worse ways money can be spent

Fishing boats and wool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I still think it'll be a playable but mediocre game that won't gain too much traction outside the preorder playerbase but will still manage to stay propped up by a handful of whales for a couple years before dying out. They'll probably revive a little interest by releasing a new game mode or two later on.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Flavahbeast posted:

speaking of Aventurine, Im cracking up at their google snippet

not sure what happened here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW_oMKGMQaU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

lol

"No refunds, but hey, check out this RMT site. Maybe they'll buy your account."

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

SweetBro posted:

I'm incredibly drunk right now, but remind me tomorrow to explain why everything you love is wrong.

Hey, FTL is good.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Helvetica represent.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Anoia posted:

Well, there's already an octopus crest, sooooo... Too late for that.

It's probably more a Hydra reference, tho. :godwin:

We could always base it on one of the other goon standbys like the grenade, the goonswarm bee or one of the symbols from smaller goon guilds.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Pavlov posted:

The game Naval Action let you upload a clan flag for your ships. The goon flag was this:

:eyepop:
That's a work of art.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Roll up guinea pigs, choose names referencing laboratory testing, complain about the animal rights violations we've suffered in the name of science.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Full loot can work in systems where the gear is very easy to mass produce and the stats aren't nearly as important as ambushing and playing well.

A example from my experience I can think of is the early days in Minecraft on persistent PvP servers you full-loot anyone you kill and whatever gear they had can be replaced instantly so long as they have the resources and their home spawn isn't found and camped.
You could kill people with a wooden sword if you got the drop on them and diamond wasn't that far above iron and would quickly degrade and wasn't used much besides as swords.

The problem comes when the top end of gear is so far ahead of everything else that the person could kill a swarm of people while afk and they couldn't scratch him, like what happened in minecraft when they brought in enchanting and potions making iron just unable to scratch someone who grinded to get enchanted regening diamond.

So I might be interested in this game if the gear isn't a huge part of a players power and requires a massive grind to get.

They've talked about campaigns where players aren't allowed to bring anything in, everyone starts with the same basic crap and has to build, scavenge or steal their way up. It's more like a longform MOBA in that regard

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

FireWhizzle posted:

Does my $100 help purchase custom built doors [ ] yes [ ] no [ ]

I forgot about the Star Citizen doors. Thanks for the reminder.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Bad because crafters could just turtle up and build weapons with impunity. Instead they should have bodyguards. Free Market 101: if you can't get enough protection to fend off enemies you deserve getting your poo poo jacked.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Doggir posted:

You know what this open world pvp game reeeaaly needs? Instanced, stay with me, dungeons. -forums

It worked for Age of Wushu. Dungeon bosses that would summon other players were really fun. :black101:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Something Cawful is a good pun name for this one.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Jabor posted:

some other guild's name, but replacing one of the words with "goon" is good for a laugh. the trick is figuring out which guild is going to have the thinnest-skinned yet most vocal people in it

(excluding us)

Never forget Sanguine Goon

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo8DhbQw_O4

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Capntastic posted:

I've never seen a crow in real life

A pissed off crow decided to swoop over me a few times because the road I'd been walking down was too close to its nest. That's my crow story.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

It's basically a MOBA, but don't say that on the OF unless you want to piss them off.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I'll believe it when I see it. Still doing way better than Star Citizen.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Orv posted:

This but unironically.

Agreed, artificial limits are kind of antiquated.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Why not just ditch stats and skill levels altogether and just make everyone doing the same thing equal? Final Fantasy 14 just flattened the PvP stats to a base level and limited the classes to a handful of PvP only skills and as a result PvP isn't terrible anymore.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Pavlov posted:

I thought half the point of time-limited worlds and characters was that they could force people to specialize, and it was ok because it's all impermanent and you can try something else next time.

Being the designated gatherer for your group one match, then being a crafter, fighter or healer the next and having it be on a per-match basis makes way more sense than boxing people a certain role if they want to maximize their effectiveness over Crowfall's lifespan.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Doggir posted:

Mines will likely be hotly contested though if the alpha is anything to go by.

Again, why would anyone go miner when they could just mug the people who do?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Still more of a game than Star Citizen.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

PriNGLeS posted:

They're using a pretty well used engine (Unity), but apparently theyre using some antique version which sucks rear end, and they're updating it soon? Who the gently caress knows, really.

Anyone who idolizes shadowbane is broken brained.

Unity, the great destroyer of old CPUs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I don't suppose anyone has any keys left. Probably won't play for more than an hour to check it out if I get one but lol at the idea of paying money for it.