Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
It's basically EVE ships isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Byolante posted:

for what is meant to be a pvp focused game the idea of tying skill unlocks to a real world timer is hilariously concerning. That sounds suspiciously like consigning anyone who didn't arrive and start playing after the final server wipe to a perpetual state of second class citizenry.

That would only be true if skills had no caps. Someone who started earlier is going to have more options, but on a per character basis it shouldn't be much trouble to catch up.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

cathead posted:

To be fair, most "full loot pvp MMOs" up until now have barely bothered to make any attempts at rectifying this. It's not like it's an unsolvable problem.

They've also been utter poo poo for a myriad of other reasons barely related to this.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Blazing Zero posted:

unless it somehow translates to power in the actual game, the EK system seems wholly uninteresting to me

Ditto, to me it's the weakest part of their design. There doesn't seem to be much point to it, and they've repeatedly said it won't translate to power in the campaigns.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Arrows as inventory items has always been a stupid mechanic, if you want different arrows with different effects just makes them separate powers.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Yes, there is a fun game to be had under the wonky combat. Hopefully they get that poo poo sorted out.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Trip report from todays test: i don't know what they did but their control scheme is much much improved from last time. It doesn't feel "weird" anymore.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Shadowbane looked like rear end but their animations were fully motion captured, they were nothing like crowfall at all.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
I didn't actually expect an MMO to be built from scratch in two years for single digit number of millions. Anyone who did was obviously insane.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
People sure seem to give way too big a gently caress about lovely official forums for a non existent game. I don't get the problem. gently caress, I don't get why you'd want to use the forums anyways.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Rasmussen posted:

Never preorder, never pay for an unfinished game. Wait for reviews that you trust once the game is finished and released. These are the lessons I learned in the last few years.

If you have enough disposable income there is something to gain from having a say in what kinds of games get made. As long as you realize you are simply making a statement and not buying an actual game though.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Pavlov posted:

See though, $50 is the pricier end of what most people would spend on a game that already exists and they can hear people say was a good game. I mean maybe you just bleed money or something, in which case congrats, but can you see why we might think you look silly for being such an ardent defender of throwing money at the wind?

I spent 35 bux, testing on and off for a year and a half, and you're still free to chuckle at me.

Edit: On second thought, if you're in the wind-throwing business, toss some at Das Tal too it's probably up your alley.

But you are not spending money on a game. You are spending money on having a say on what kinds of games get made. I backed this and camelot unchained (which looks a lot worse than this at this point) because I want someone to at least be trying to get games like that made.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
I wanna keep my six years and three months of free vip damnit.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Capntastic posted:

Crowfall is letting people redeem stuff in their pre-order packages for store credit on an item-by-item basis. If you had VIP tickets, they are worth $15 of credit each. If you had a package that let you reserve a guild name, that can get you $80 of credit.

I could buy a car at this point if they sold it on their store. Still got 2 years left of vip and the collectors edition.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
They are on the right side, i don't think he got what it is supposed to represent.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

eSporks posted:

For some reason I thought goatman was laying down with legs in the air. After doing some extensive research, the thumb orientation is correct.

Why aren't we talking about the duelist? He looks so rad and I cant wait to name my guy Stuart little. If burrow mode is what I think it it is, it's a cool excuse for MMO "invisible in plain sight" style stealth. I want to see a pic of him next to another class, I hope he is comically short.

Dev just said he is waist high on the knight and will be hard to target.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
I have a company garrison and a "three cell stronghold - medium fortification", if that's enough we have a goonhouse. I mean, i do have over 800 bucks of store credit, without cashing in the collectors edition and 2 years of vip, so if it isn't i guess i can kick in for a bigger one.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Capntastic posted:

I will get the castle with my credits and if people wanna kick VIP tokens my way that is fine but I'm not gonna make a loving website about it.

Oh yeah, gently caress no. I wasn't volunteering for responsibility.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Yeah, i backed at the 215$ level. That got you over 70 months of vip at 15 bucks each and some other useless stuff you could cash in for like 85 bucks.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
The same publishers that have been cranking out failure after failure because their only idea is "do the exact loving thing WoW did"? nah, I'm good with not listening to them.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

SweetBro posted:

It's not. That's why no one is making new MMOs.

Yeah this, I actually asked the devs if publishers were still only interested in making nothing but WoW clones and their answer was that basically they weren't interested in making MMO's at all.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
What's this damage splitting everyone has been bitching about lately?

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

eSporks posted:

I read something about AOE spells splitting damage among their targets, maybe it's that.

That seems to defeat the purpose of having AOE spells.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

eSporks posted:

That sounds reasonable, it still feel to me like this implementation means the entire classes play style relies on a roll of the dice.

Five of the six choices are basically just damage buffs of varying degrees, that's not going to wildly swing fights from one side to the other. It's flavor not balance.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
I'm amazed how close to a finished working game this is after so little time. Granted there is a poo poo ton of stuff still missing, most of the classes being a pretty big one, but you can run around and kill people and craft gear. That's a faction system away from being a game.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
To keep things under perspective this game was kickstarted for about 2.4 million in march of 2015. That they've gotten from that to this is simply incredible.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Ashrik posted:

So how does combat work, like, mechanically?

Action combat.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
I mostly just login to watch my skills go up. It's so very satisfying. I did run around and pvp on my hamster for a while, but no purpose killing tends to get old.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Ashrik posted:

Anyone willing to expand on this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUBerFx6Mck

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

30.5 Days posted:

Also animation locking, like TERA, right?

No more, watch the video.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Kimsemus posted:

As long as I can still tunnel underneath castles and kill them from the inside I'm happy.

The hamsters have a power that does specifically this.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Capntastic posted:

You keep using this word. I don't think it means what you think it means.

I know a hamster when i see it.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

SweetBro posted:

Is every pubbie in this community this incessantly annoying or did you just find the most annoying one?

Anyways, so how much content is actually in now? Is it still basically PvP arena mode with lots of empty space?

I dunno, he was just someone who posted a decent video of the current state of the game. There really is no "game" yet, there is a huge open zone where you can gather, craft, pve with full pvp and corpse looting and a lobby where you can set your skills to training which persist between tests.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
I kicked in 215 during the original kickstarter and as a result i have a castle, about a thousand dollars of store credit, like 3 years of vip still to cash in and a collectors edition box that i can hopefully sell to dumb people to recover my initial investment once the game actually comes out. On the other hand for the 35 bucks i kicked in for the camelot unchained pledge i have sadness and regret.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Well so far they are already defying expectations and it is mostly a given that there is going to be an actual game, which already puts them above most of the competition. As far as it being good jury is still out, so far everything checks out ok though.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
I was expecting a funny team fortress type video :(

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Oh god, i can dig up body parts from cemeteries and make new bodies :awesome:

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
"Confessor and Duelist Unarmed attacks looked too cool, made them 66% less cool"

Already with the nerfs!

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Sounds like the Smedley game Hero's Song storybricks mechanic (which came from Everquest Next). Pretty cool stuff.

It's more like Dwarf Fortress, just background history for each world to make them look "lived in".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
I'm always a fan of sticking with the tried and true Goon Squad, for brand recognition. Except in Age of Wushu were "Goontang Clan" just plain made sense.