Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
This is why i prefer sticking with Goon Squad, not a single one of you is actually as funny as you think you are :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Lastgirl posted:

unfunny names is what ruins immersions and makes people have really nice meltdowns

Not nearly as much as goon squad.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
They very specifically said they are going to hire a QA lead for sure, they sure as hell said nothing about not fulfilling stretch goals.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Capntastic posted:

Balance can fight everyone, right

Then balance

It's a three side battle, everyone can fight the other two sides.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

GO gently caress YOURSELF posted:

Is this still an accurate state of the game? Per the schedule, it looked like there were several playtests recently and I'd like to jump in if there's a working product.

This is not a working product, it's still considered pre alpha as far as i know. You can jump in and do stuff but there is no point or purpose to any of it yet.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
I'd be shocked if it wasn't disciplines.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

cathead posted:

Did they ever really hype up the actual idea of archetypes? It was more the disciplines that were the important part and like, actual abilities/design. At any rate, they mention in the vid that it was more of a cost-saving thing early on and apparently they've done well enough with funding that they had the opportunity to shift gears with it and took it.

I'm glad for it because I'd much rather have some choice with races than have to be locked in. I hope the graphics overhaul and Unity upgrade will get things running more smoothly too, as that's been my primary gripe every time I've done a test.

Archtypes were never hyped as a "feature" they were always a budgetary measure due to lack of funds to do art and animations for a wide variety of race/class combinations. I don't see how it was in any way the focal point of how the game worked. gently caress them for keeping duelist as guinea pig only though, drat it.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
So no soft launch this year? probably for the same reason they changed the archtype system: they must have got a pretty decent influx of money from somewhere.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
The disciplines really add a gently caress ton of variety and build possibilities to the bare bones system they had before, i had a lot of fun this weekend too. Banshee is a surprisingly good choice for basically every class.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

KJDavid posted:

What does that one do?

Untyped damage increase just for equipping it, 30% bonus damage to targets under 30% passive, aoe snare shout, aoe damage shout that heals you, heal block power.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
There's going to be an assassin class yeah. The fact that they made Shadowbane shouldn't give you misguivings, that game had the best stealth system of any game yet. It basically boiled down to a) having a dedicated anti stealth class that was effective and fun to play and b) giving stealthers something to do during mass pvp battles that did not reduce them to nothing but stealth gankers.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Orv posted:

My concern, and really the thing I super don't like about their design, is that you can (if disciplines and such support it), create that character, but instead of it being an alt, you have to devote two months or whatever to being able to step into that role. That's not fun, it's not fun in EVE to wait and I certainly don't intend to pay a sub for Crowfall even it it does turn out good, so it's still lovely here.

There only difference between this and any other game is that your leveling speed is predetermined instead of having to grind for it. It's automatic leveling, it doesn't change how the game works at all and it doesn't make the result different from like WoW. You want an alt, you make one, and then you level it up. Having that happen automatically at a predetermined speed is not a negative.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Fog Tripper posted:

Whats this about subs?

Crowfall is buy to play with optional subs, I believe the main benefit of subbing is you get to train 3 classes at the same time instead of 1. Not sure if there is anything else.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Orv posted:

Skills are account wide, you don't make alt characters and then train them.

I know that, I still don't understand how having passive time gated training instead of leveling affects your ability to play an alt. The only difference is that training happens automatically at a set pace instead of having to grind for it.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Shadowbane did have extremely fast leveling, but that was an outlier. A month or two is a lot closer to standard than a few days. If the problem is just that it's too slow, I disagree but I understand your point at least. Of course we don't actually know how long it will take at this point.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Can't ignore the fact that just making a new vessel gives you a character with all abilities and capable of wearing any equipment, training is just minor stat buffs.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
So i assume they are not going to release any more archetypes right?

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Lastgirl posted:

I think its hilarious but its just good to know that ya theres a lot of moving parts behind the scene that is generally :raise:-worthy at, with healthy skepticism

Specially since EKs seem to be the huge weak point in their design so far.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Capntastic posted:

Better and more NPC thralls and craft stations apparently but probably mostly Barbie Dream House

Right, cept you might not even be able to take gear into some campaigns. It's at best glorified housing that's detached of the pvp worlds.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Everyone knows the first campaign is the only one that matters. Do we have enough people in to make a guild or something?

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Are the wings on the Fae cosmetic or can you actually fly with them?

RIP Aracroix

Glide and double jump I believe.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Doggir posted:

Idk Wow has a crafting system where everyone can do everything and look at how popular that is. :anime:

Wow has a "lets just get this of the checklist" crafting system, what crafters want is something like SWG had which is what Crowfall's crafting is based on.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Interdependence is a core part of the game, if not being able to do everything yourself is a deal breaker this is really the wrong game.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Pavlov posted:

I thought half the point of time-limited worlds and characters was that they could force people to specialize, and it was ok because it's all impermanent and you can try something else next time.

Only the worlds are time limited, your training is persistent.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Arzachel posted:

Sure. Why should I specialize into menial chores or a barely disgused spreadsheet instead of the part of the game that has actual gameplay though?

You shouldn't. There's people who live and breathe that poo poo though.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Taear posted:

How does it actually compare to Shadowbane? I see they've got a lot of ideas from it (stone dwarfs, the all father, centaurs, minotaurs, half giants) and mention it a lot.

The thing is - what I liked about Shadowbane is probably quite niche and I really can't tell from reading stuff if it's in the game. Basically, it's fun to me when things change. When I log in after a few days and different crests control different areas, there's new alliances to consider, new enemies that might not be our enemies tomorrow.
This came from the changeable world, being able to destroy cities and build your own. And I just can't tell if Crowfall works like that. I know the worlds get wiped and stuff, but how does it actually work compared to that sort of feel in Shadowbane?

Or at least how is it intended to work. I get that it's not quite complete in practice.

It most definitely works like that. Or it is supposed to when done.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
I believe what they said was that there was no difference in how male and females looked so you are basically whatever you want to be.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
What shadowbane grind?

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
poo poo, I'm turning my VIP tickets into cash. I got like six years worth, no way this game lasts that long anyways.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
From the 215 buck KS pack. Also have some type of castle and a collectors edition box i plan to sell as well. Lotta other poo poo too that i haven't really kept track off. At this point with the game likely being a real game at some point it looks like a good investment.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Blazing Zero posted:

just posting here to update everyone on my crowfall investment: looks like the wow jones moved down a little friday so monday's looking really bullish. thinkin crowfall is gonna soar 20 or even 30 points! :getin:

How did you not go with crow jones?

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Taear posted:

The people powerlevelling you are grinding though - they're flying above certain camps in certain zones killing mobs.
So of course I'd go there and kill the people doing it.

That's what I mean.

The people powerleveling me were usually asleep, and so was I.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Turd Herder posted:

Do they have a soft launch date set yet?

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
It's a sign that this is not a "game" yet, but a testing environment. There aren't many people around because there is no game to play, not because the game isn't fun. You can login and harvest resources, craft things, pvp, build houses and poo poo or just do your skill training but without any point to any of it there is very little reason for people to play regularly. Its not a sign of anything besides that the game is pre alpha.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Flavahbeast posted:

I didn't play shadowbane much but I do remember that when I played aoe attacks could only hit a small number of players at a time and this resulted in sieges where everyone stood on top of each other to make targeting difficult

The point of stacks was so when the enemy ran into you it would try to load hundreds of characters all at once and crash you. It worked perfectly. You could target AOEs on graves or even by text command so it wouldn't work for that anyways.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Success or failure is going to be determined on whether they make a good game or not, their vip system is not going to factor into the equation. And as far as their finances go from what they let on they seem to be doing quite well and getting more money all the time. This game has only been in development for like 3 years with a shoestring budget, they could still deliver a pile of crap but that they've gotten this far this fast is already pretty impressive.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Drakkus posted:

Oh also I forgot to mention the guild is Goon Squad, and it's been running for almost four months now. I'm gonna run it until launch but beyond that I honestly haven't decided.

You made Goon Squad a pubbie guild? shame!

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

daslog posted:

There's a reason that no company has a game like this. It's really hard to pull off a game where PVP combat matters and keep your player base. The losers have a tendency to Simply abandon your game because no one likes losing for fun.

That goes double for games where you actually have something worth fighting for. So you end up in this place where you have to balance making battles meaningful yet at the same time not pissing off the losers so much that they move on to the next big thing.

So never mind getting MMO combat balanced and fun. That's the easy part.

That's the main issue their entire game design revolves around solving, so at least they understand what they are facing.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

BadLlama posted:

Well I think they are partially trying to solve that with the factions, rather than having 3 factions that fight for overall power, you have two and then a third that tries to keep everything in balance. Who knows how it will work though.

That's just one of the rule sets, personally i only care about the dregs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Grinders and farmers were not usually built to fight back or not even there 90% of the time.