Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Slightly-Larger-Than-Last-Time World Edition™

What the hell is this poo poo?

Crowfall is an upcoming MMORPG by Artcraft, led by J. Todd Coleman and Gordon Walton, who have worked on games like Shadowbane, UO, and SWG. In January 2015 it had a successful kickstarter that raised $1.7 million, and since then has secured additional funding to bring the budget up to $6.3 million.

Crowfall is billed as a “Throne War Simulator”, an exclusively PvP experience built on the concept of “persistent characters, temporary worlds”. The game will have multiple “campaign worlds” to choose from that will last a finite amount of time, with different rulesets to cater to different levels of risk and reward in PvP (such as full/partial looting, etc.). The world maps will be procedurally generated and will use some basic historical simulation to populate ruins and other points of interest. Your character progress is independent of these worlds. The campaign worlds will last anywhere from a couple weeks to months, and allow different ratios of item/resource import/export based upon their ruleset. Thus you can aim to “win” campaign worlds through various victory conditions (conquest, survival, etc.), and then move on to a fresh one with a percentage of your spoils and start all over.

The one persistent world is the Eternal Kingdoms, where each player will have their own instance to do with as they please, such as building castles, providing places to gather or trade, or storing trophies and artifacts from their conquests.

The game will also have an Eve-like skill training system where you select skills to train and they train even if you are offline. The way the character system works is a bit different from most other MMOs. You have your immortal Crow which represents you, the player, and contains all the skills you've trained or are training. Your Crow then inhabits a Vessel, which becomes the character you're playing, which has a specific archetype and determines what base abilities you have. The skills you've trained will further affect your effectiveness with that archetype as well as what secondary skills you have. If you want to think of it in Eve terms, your Crow is your "pilot" and the Vessel is your "ship". See the character advancement and crows/vessels FAQs for more info.

The game will be buy-to-play, with an optional VIP sub. Standard accounts will allow you to train one general skill and one archetype skill at any given time. The VIP sub will allow you to train one general skill and three archetype skills at once (though they must be from different archetype trees, so no double/triple-dipping). Thus far that's the only difference between standard and VIP.

Latest ETA for release seems to be sometime in mid-late 2017. They are still managing to hit their goals and deadlines fairly on time, so there's a chance they might actually reasonably hit that ETA. Still a lot that needs to be done though and we're not anywhere near beta yet, so who knows.

What’s been going on lately?

Against all odds, Artcraft has somehow made it to the point where Crowfall is starting to feel like an actual game. Current playtests seem to mostly run over the weekends for about 3 days, and feature a basic gameplay loop of gathering resources, crafting custom armor and items, and killing other people for the stuff they have. The map is bigger now and each of the testing servers are getting unique map layouts so they can further test procedural generation. Next on the list is to get an Eternal Kingdom prototype working as well as the embargo (import/export) rules to transfer stuff between the campaign worlds and EK. As that all comes online we'll start getting a lot closer to what Crowfall will end up being when it's complete.

Should I spend money on this game?

Well it's an actual playable game now so it's unlikely it will just disappear, but we still don't know how all these things will come together in the end so unless you're fine with tossing your money in the toilet you'll probably want to wait for release or at least closer to it to see how things shape up as they move toward the full game.

GOONS?!?!?!?!?

Yeah we're goonin. Nothing concrete yet since the game is still fairly small and not up all the time, but get on the :siren:Discord:siren: if you're in the tests.

Here's some preliminary wacky goon antics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_L7DSyv3iA

Capntastic posted:

Yeah in reviewing it it was more fun when he was complaining that we outnumbered him and were unfair literally minutes after him and his pal were picking off solo miners.

We still made ourselves the enemy of the server that night.

Using a looted campfire to celebrate an amazing victory against all odds

Friendship is Overpowered

Special Three Axe Technique Proves Unstoppable

Links, resources, spreadsheets, other nerd poo poo:

Testing Schedule
Crafting combinations spreadsheet

cathead fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Dec 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

cybertier posted:

This really sounds super interesting.

Since you joined the combat-test can you talk about the in-vessel gameplay? I.e. Is it WoW-esque with just range-limited Abilities or do you have to aim anything?

To be completely honest about it, it felt like a way more janky version of Tera. Which makes sense as that's one of the combat systems they were inspired by. Most range stuff was aimed or soft-locked, melee abilities had cone/aoe ranges, and most abilities had varying levels of animation locks so you had to commit when you attacked. As I mentioned in the OP though it ran kind of lovely (what with being a pre-alpha and all) so it was hard to get a sense of how fluid things will be in the end. The concepts seem interesting and workable though.

They have done a couple of articles on archetype skills, a lot of it is somewhat temporary stuff so they could try out different tech to implement in the final archetype makeups later on.

http://crowfall.com/en/news/first-look-knight-powers-and-ui/
http://crowfall.com/en/news/first-look-confessor-powers/
http://crowfall.com/en/news/first-look-legionnaire-powers/
http://crowfall.com/en/news/first-look-champion-powers-and-ui/

You can see a lot of similar design concepts though, especially as far as some skills combo together or chain into different skills contextually.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Stormgale posted:

Does this mean some vessels will be flat out better?

Sounds like this might be the case. Vessels provide your "base attributes", and there's an answer in the FAQ that talks about how vessels follow item quality level rules, and so better quality vessels will have better attributes and skill caps. They'll either be crafted (and thus based on crafting skill level) or found in the world/given as campaign rewards (thus based on the risk/reward level of the campaign world). There's some bits in the FAQ that talk about this. They are tradable though, so they can be taken in/out of worlds (subject to import/export rules), sold, or traded among friends and guildmembers.

I have a feeling this will be going through a LOT of tuning and iteration over time though since there's a lot of things there you have to be careful with or they could get out of hand, balance wise.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

malhavok posted:

It's basically EVE ships isn't it?

Yeah I mentioned that in the OP. You can collect a bunch of different archetype vessels and swap between them as needed, you'll just be depending on what skills you have trained on your account.

The major difference from Eve is the idea that you don't just straight up lose it if you die no matter what, the way vessels and death are treated can change significantly depending on what campaign world ruleset you choose and it's associated risk/reward. It could be anything from "cannot be stolen from you, there are ways to get it returned to you if you die" all the way to "you died, you have to have to either get back to your body or have an ally pick it up within a certain amount of time or it can be permanently taken from you by the enemy and you'll have to get a new one", and any number of variations in between. That's why it fits pretty well into their campaign worlds idea, since that sort of flexibility and choice for the player was something they wanted from the start.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Byolante posted:

for what is meant to be a pvp focused game the idea of tying skill unlocks to a real world timer is hilariously concerning. That sounds suspiciously like consigning anyone who didn't arrive and start playing after the final server wipe to a perpetual state of second class citizenry.

Yeah, I totally agree, and thankfully they've mentioned this a couple times. If there's one thing I really can't fault them for it's that they're pretty thorough about thinking through their ideas and identifying potential issues with it, even if they might not have a complete solution right away.

They have a couple things in mind for this (it's actually mentioned in one of the FAQ questions). First is that skill gains are on a diminishing curve. It's much faster to get the first 20% than the last 2%. Along those lines it's also worth noting that (at least as far as I can tell right now) these skills aren't generally like Eve skills where it's "finish skill to do thing". Rather it's "train skill to do thing, put time into it to get good at it", with prereqs for the next skill in the tree not necessarily requiring the previous skill to be maxed.

Secondly, there are going to be caps on skills based on the vessel you're using and any runestones applied to it. The example they gave is your Crow might have 1handed Swords trained to 200. However, you enter a Knight vessel that has a cap of 100, so your skill will actually be capped at that level. However, you could add a "Blademaster" runestone that increases the cap by 25, and then you'd have 125 skill. Or maybe you find or craft a Knight vessel with higher quality and have a higher cap that way. Obviously if your skill was less than the cap (like 75 or whatever) then it would just be there until you trained it up.

Hopefully that makes sense? It seems like a pretty flexible system, but also could lead to balance hell, so I'm interested to see if they simplify or pare it down at all during development.

edit: Oh yeah, they also mentioned they have a couple ideas in mind for "catch up" mechanics for newer players down the road that they'll explore at some point. They want to strike a balance between early players having a slight advantage, but not something that's insurmountable for new players.

cathead fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 30, 2015

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Lastgirl posted:

Oh gee this thread is back~

There's a reason why Eonwe took the old one into the SA public restroom stall and shot it friend

but glad to be here again :peanut:

Look they had the big reveal and I just HAD to get my effortpost out. It's a horrible addiction.

:justpost: that's my life every day :smith:

Anyway If this thread dies too then so be it. But it seemed better to have a place where people could dump some posts if they felt like talking about it once in awhile than to not have anything at all. Especially since ACE is actually sticking remotely to the testing schedules and we're slowly getting to the point that more and more people can get together and play.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Lastgirl posted:

I'm glad you did, I wasn't trying to sound overly smarmy :unsmith:

I haven't even tried the game out even though I'm in the tester group. I wish they would take cues from Smite instead of too much on Tera tbh, Tera felt so weighty in a bad way

e: checking out the big reveal~ thanks for the update

You didn't miss that much, it was fun to mess around with for a bit but it ran like poo poo. I'm interested to see how their solutions work out in the next test.

Also it seems like they're moving away somewhat from some of the Tera ideas, talking about reducing animation locks and speeding up some moves, and adding velocity to some of the longer animations so that you continue moving rather than just stop and are rooted while you do the ability.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Robo Reagan posted:

okay well looking forward to the inevitable buggy alpha followed by a buggy release in 2025 before the game dies a silent F2P death

Um excuse me it's going to be B2P. :c00lbutt:

Anyway like I said in the OP there's no point in investing in it right now unless you like flinging money into the wind. It's going to be a while longer before we see just how many of these ideas they have they can actually get working cleanly, and more importantly how much of it is actually fun in practice.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Lastgirl posted:

Thats good because Tera is not really skillful enough imo. Skillshots and juking is what makes things more visceral and adrenaline-induced . Not watching your character get punished while being rooted in animation. There's a balance to that though

Like it works amazing in monster hunter 4 ultimate because it factors in timing and positioning, and its perfect (perfect in that when you're locked in a potion drinking animation and the monster lunges at you, you rage and almost snap your DS in half :3:). TERA is garbage at that

Tera kind of gets a pass in most people's books because it actually attempted to do something different when MMOs were all basically just tab-target hotkey style. It's definitely not a perfect system.

Kimsemus posted:

I will watch this game, because it has some concepts I like, but I'm having a hard time envisioning how the final product will work well.

I said this in the old thread but I think some of the eventual success of the game depends on how the players actually consume the system design and content they're providing. Like ok, we've got separate campaigns with different rulesets, but what if everyone flocks to one type and not another? Thankfully they seem prepared to monitor those kinds of trends and iterate and adjust accordingly, but you only get so many chances to make something really work before people just give up. This is why I think it's imperative that they get the combat right and feeling good, because people will stick around for a lot longer despite other design issues if they feel the day-to-day gameplay is fun to do.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Kimsemus posted:

This is 100% true, and the danger with adaptive games like this, and really any MMO launch, is you have ONE chance to have a strong release, typically games that bomb the release, even if they recover later, never ever do as well as they could. It's important they get everything right now. But I'm all for an EVE style training queue, character persistence, and campaigns to keep things fresh and exciting. How large can the player battles be, it won't be heavily instanced, right?

I don't think they were capping it. It was basically "whoever's on this particular campaign server at the time and shows up" kind of idea. Obviously there are some technical considerations there, and that's supposed to be the focus of their next testing phase after combat.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Kimsemus posted:

So can you explain how the maps work then? Is it one huge battlefield where you build stuff and fight or is it little instances or what's going on?

Based on what they've said, each campaign world will be a self-contained, procedurally generated, seamless world. So basically a big map that people will stake out territory on and fight over whatever victory condition that particular campaign has.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Stormgale posted:

I think the best/worst thing about thte sharding is how it will allow players/groups of players to go to another more fun world if poo poo is bad but conversely the same is true (as a downside if people always leave).

It will be managing that (And ensuring a good valid PVP playpool) that will sink or swim this IMO.

Yeah that was one of the potential issues they identified early on. They had some ideas that ranged from pretty hardline stuff like "if you join a campaign your character is locked to it until the end" to more granular stuff like "you can leave early but you'll forfeit your rewards and have to pay a penalty". I imagine we might see some different approaches now that they've settled on the vessel system though.

I think no matter what it's going to be a long road to get to the "full design" of the game, with multiple campaigns in different rulesets running concurrently. I know their initial focus was starting with "The Dregs" where it's FFA full loot, ostensibly because that's the easiest way to test combat and looting interactions for the more complex rulesets later on. It's also probably the easiest way to draw in and keep around a small loyal group of testers who are looking for their next HARDCORE PVP fix while they get the other rulesets in place.

Thinking about it that way I should probably revise the release estimate in the OP :v:

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Orv posted:

I feel like the OP is hilariously misleading because every time I see the alpha tests being broadcast it's just wall to wall lag and crashes and no-one who seems sane actually has any fun with it.

Did you miss the part where I said it ran pretty badly and had some major responsiveness issues? I'm not sure what's misleading there. I mean, it was very much a "does this poo poo even work when a bunch of people bang into it over the internet?" kind of test.

It was still somewhat playable for me at least, not really the height of entertainment but it was kind of fun to screw around with for an hour or two and see what you could accomplish despite the issues.

Stormgale posted:

The big issue is it's a very granular scale between;

People abandoning at the first sign of trouble
to
People being stuck fighting an impossible war where they just lose (and thus stop playing)

I guess the good thing is early campaigns will likely be pretty fast as they test different stuff out and develop new rulesets, so it's unlikely people will get stuck in something they don't like for long. I think this is one of those things where all you can do is just do it, see how people actually respond to it, and adjust accordingly.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Orv posted:

I took umbrage with "where the game was actually playable and not a complete piece of poo poo?!" and stopped reading because OP. :v: My bad.

But yeah, I dunno, this game has about the same chances as Camelot of not being a tire fire, so whichever lands less cocked dice is probably worth a little time.

Haha, it's fine. I mostly put it that way because for a large part of the last thread we had plenty of "vaporware!" jokes and such about how alpha testing wouldn't even start till mid-2016. I was honestly surprised that they actually got tests going around the time they said they would, and that there was actually something of substance to it besides some boxes bumping into each other or whatever.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Stormgale posted:

This is true but my point is with the time limited nature you are kind of just adding another step of "Go to another world" in between "Find it unfun" and Quit, if oeioke are constantly hopping then battles have no impact and quickly become unfun. In the inverse if im stuck fighting a pointless war for say longer than a few days i'm probably gonna stop fighting.

This is why it's absolutely imperative that they get combat right. If it's just fun to go out and fight people then people will do it just for the hell of it, and working toward that greater goal of winning is just another layer of the entertainment. Otherwise you end up with situations where it's like "this is actually unfun to play but I'm going to anyway because I want to win" which is something that Eve struggled with a lot in some aspects of its design.

Byolante posted:

To find people's breaking point with unwinnable situations people quit moba games 10 minutes in if they see it going south. I cannot see how you could rig it in such a way that would force people to continue to compete in lost causes which wouldn't either make people quit because they are getting spawn camped or make people quit because no matter how hard they are winning the game doesn't actually let them win.

The only thing that will stop deathblob guilds from controlling entire shards is having staging limits which will alienate and anger the hardcores who run the deathblobs by preventing them for actually being able to utilise their full force.

There are just fundamental problems with a game like this which happen every time someone tries to make one and I fail to see how they aren't something in the inherent makeup of open pvp mmos.

Something we're not really factoring in here is the fact that depending on the ruleset, losing won't always mean you get nothing. Only on the most "hardcore" ruleset is that the case in their initial design doc. Most of the other factored in some kind of ratio of items/rewards you get to keep based on whether you won or lost, so 80/20, 70/30, etc. Winning/losing also may not be a binary thing based on the ruleset, in the FAQ they talked about the idea of collecting "victory points" for completing certain objectives appropriate to the ruleset and using those (and only those) to determine the winner, so it seems like you could also adjust rewards based on how well each side did points-wise to incentivize the losing side to not give up. Also, on rulesets like the 3-faction Order/Balance/Chaos one, Balance actually has the win condition of needing to PREVENT both Order and Chaos from winning before the campaign is over.

You're correct that the deathblob thing has been a fundamental issue in large-scale PVP games, but I think you can mitigate that somewhat with smart combat and siege gameplay design. It's way too early to even think about that in CF though since we haven't even seen all the classes or final abilities yet. Hopefully they'll start exploring some ideas as they move into the siege tests.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Blazing Zero posted:

you've framed the issue with full loot pvp mmos exactly. if you try to stop the blobs from blobbing, they leave. once they leave, the deathspiral of "cant find anyone" starts. if you let the blobs exist, the solo minded and self-imposed smaller sized groups leave. the blobs have nothing to kill, they leave.

To be fair, most "full loot pvp MMOs" up until now have barely bothered to make any attempts at rectifying this. It's not like it's an unsolvable problem.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

malhavok posted:

They've also been utter poo poo for a myriad of other reasons barely related to this.

Well I figured that was assumed. :v:

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Capntastic posted:

I'm pretty hyped about this game, especially with the vessel system being explained.

Skimming the forums though, I can't really get a sense of what the eternal kingdoms are supposed to "do", other than you somehow collect NPCs to populate them. Has anything recent been divulged?

Nothing recent, but based of what they've said so far, EKs are like... persistant instanced worlds that each person has their own copy of. They can build castles or houses or whatever there, store resources and loot, have NPCs to craft stuff for them or what not. You can invite other people to your "kingdom" (or allow yourself to just be shown on a list where you can like advertise services), and you also have the ability to enable PvP in your kingdom for people to practice or mess around in or whatever. You can also flag people to be able to build on and live in your kingdom.

So the idea is you could just use it as your own personal little place to chill out, or maybe you could build a huge castle to use as a guild hall for your guild and allow guildies to live on your land, or maybe set up a bazaar or social hub where people can sell and trade stuff outside of campaigns and try and be the popular place that everyone wants to hang out at. Your visibility on the kingdom list (if you're set to public access) is dependent on how large and upgraded your kingdom is, so there's some pseudo-progression there, and you can also tax people that come to your kingdom to use whatever services you might have set up.

What I'm still not clear on when/how often you can go to your kingdom or other people's, especially with the new vessel system. Like, do you have to wait between campaigns or is it something separate you can just hop out into anytime, etc. Sounds like it might be the latter but I'm not sure.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Kimsemus posted:

Depending on how much of an advantage an EK gives this could be an unfun and unbalanced thing.

Their initial examples for the relics/artifacts were all pretty minor increases like archery skill training speed +1% and wood harvesting speed +5%. You can only have a certain number on you at any given time as well (they were estimating 3).

It's mostly all stuff that will have to get iterated on at a later point when the game is more complete.

p.s. read the FAQs on the site it covers a surprising amount of stuff

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

New article up about the Ranger archetype. Melee and ranged playstyles, but you'll need ammo for the bow (ugh). Hopefully her melee won't be too lovely.

Apparently you'll be able to craft your own arrows though, and there will be a discipline to specialize into that. I hope we have a decent amount of bag/bank space in this game considering all the bodies and arrows and other poo poo we'll be carrying around.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Gerbil_Pen posted:

If arrows are a consumable I hope they create a reason to use different arrow types opposed to straight up dps differences.

Blair already posted that current plan is to use the ammo system to allow variance in damage types. They don't want people to have to switch on the fly for specific effects and such.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

malhavok posted:

Arrows as inventory items has always been a stupid mechanic, if you want different arrows with different effects just makes them separate powers.

I think this might tie into the fact that a lot of other classes might have limited resources as well, with armor and weapon wear, and they want to create a reliance on crafters to create and trade/buy/sell those kinds of resources. I can see a couple reasons why they might want to do it this way but I'm also not convinced it will work out in practice. That being said, it's still way too early in class design to make a final decision since it depends a lot on how the rest of the classes and character mechanics work. Given the thought they've put into the rest of the game so far though I think they'll be willing to take it out if they find it's not going to work out well though.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Yeah my complaints were primarily about the responsiveness of the combat, which is exactly what they're aiming to address with the client controller updates. The actual basic class concepts and interactions were pretty good though especially for a pre-alpha.

That being said, there's a LOT of other stuff that needs to go in that can potentially break or be poo poo or ruin the experience, so we're still just getting started, but getting some things right this early is a good sign and not something I initially expected.

I think the next big hurdle to get over is making sure everything holds together with larger group sizes, which the Siege testing in March should give us a better idea of.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Interview with J. Todd Coleman about Vessels that might answer some more questions people had. Seems like they factored in a lot of the potential issues people might have with it, especially in regards to how they function in different campaign rulesets.

He also mentioned something that I thought was interesting:

J. Todd Coleman posted:

In the early MMO days, we had this grand sense of design exploration. We tried crazy and interesting ideas, even at the risk of alienating some players, because no one was sure what would or wouldn't work.

We lost that as an industry. As budgets went up, the capacity for risk went down.

That's changing, and it's largely thanks to crowdfunding. I know a lot of people are down on early access, but the impact on our collective level of risk tolerance is undeniable. People are willing to take a risk on us, which allows us to take risks on ideas that otherwise wouldn't get financing (and wouldn't happen).
Speaking as someone who's played MMOs since Everquest, I definitely feel like ever since WoW and the era of MMOs getting SUPER popular, less and less of them really tried to continue to push the envelope with the genre and opted for the "safe" route of just copying most of the tried and tested WoW stuff, because they had poured so much money into them that going for something risky that might just outright fail was just not feasible. Not that WoW didn't successfully find ways for people to play MMOs without wasting their fuckin lives on it (lmao at some of the poo poo we put up with in the EQ era), but by the same token it feels like, for awhile, people kind of stopped trying to find new ways to engage the genre. So you had this huge glut of quest-driven tab-target hotbar MMOs with dungeons and raids at the end, and maybe one or two that tried some faction-based mass-pvp but couldn't ever get it to a point that it actually worked well.

Crowdfunding is certainly no magic solution and has more than it's share of problems (Star Citizen being the obvious example), but I'd be hard pressed to think of another way that those kinds of crazy MMO ideas we had 15 years ago can even have a chance to see the light of day. Most of the major publishers nowadays are not interested in taking those kinds of risks when safer stuff could do just as well, and MMOs are never cheap to make. With traditional methods of MMO development, there's years of setup for something you then pull the trigger on and go "well I hope this works". People poo poo on the whole "why pay for a game when you don't even know if it will be good or even out in three years" and I totally get that, but how else do we give these ideas and developers the chance to even try if publishers and investors aren't interested in taking on the risk?

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Gerbil_Pen posted:

Lol poo poo on SC but yours post is a copy/paste directly from early SC threads on SA.

It's new and interesting and risky until you realized you have no patience and regret giving an interest-free five year loan.

I feel like you misread my post? I wasn't saying that crowdfunding is magically the answer or anything and I completely understand people's trepidation about contributing to it. But it's clearly giving some of these games a chance to get off the ground when they wouldn't normally, regardless of how good of an idea it is to get involved or not.

My real question was, what's the alternative? How do we enable people to be able to try these crazy MMO ideas with the inherent risks involved when the bigger companies don't want to? I wasn't posing that as like "well there's clearly no other way so lets give money to fake video games!" I was genuinely wondering if there was another way we could do this that involved less $1000 fake internet spaceships but still allowed developers to try and make a risky idea work without having to put their livelihood on the line.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Blazing Zero posted:

if only someone would ~think of the poor game devs~

e: if you don't kickstart, youre suppressing a whole genre of free expression~
e2: tildes

Ok, I guess I'm sorry I brought the topic up for discussion then! I legit just wanted to talk about it. :smith:

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Lastgirl posted:

He's just being sarcastic, it's all good brah~

It's all about moderation really, you don't want to go Roberts nuts. Todd has a point about having more freedom, but as long as he is aware that even freedom has its limits and he isn't literally on a wild goose chase to find the holy grail of mmo formulas. (He kinda is but I think he's more grounded compared to Chris Roberts)

Afaik, the level of ambition displayed in Crowfall is admirable and not ludicrous like Star Citizen. There's no guarantee to Kickstarters or Early Access, now we can understand as consumerists why some publishers play it safe.

Yeah I know I just felt like people were missing my point and shitposting instead. Like, I WANT there to be an alternative to crowdfunding but I'm not sure what it is. You shouldn't have to rely on players risking their money just to see if you can make your crazy idea work.

I just really like MMOs as a genre and it's cool when people try new and interesting stuff to break away from the "do quest kill mans make number go up" kind of thing and I wish people were able to try that more. I guess that's why I tend to pay attention to games like this because it's interesting for me to follow and see if their ideas actually work out in practice.

I do appreciate Crowfall's relatively restrained level of ambition, they seem to have set the bar at a resonable level (procedurally generated worlds, rulesets that are easily iterated on) and aren't trying to overreach to a bunch of wacky bullshit after the fact.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Icept posted:

Very much this. It's sort of dumb, but I feel like Crowfall and Camelot Unchained are two pieces of the puzzle, they both lack something the other has.

Camelot Unchained has had a big focus on massive scale battles playing out without servers dying while keeping an acceptable framerate. But the design document feels outdated by years if not decades: monthly sub, heavy investment at a per character level, guaranteeing huge costs with realm/faction changes which has long term consequences for balance.

Crowfall is a very modern look at both the gameplay and the metagame of MMOs, with fluid campaigns and a buy to play model which means you can easily set your own schedule. But the testing that has been done seems like it would only support a battle with the population of an FPS server, and the engine seems to be built on some frameworks that may prove to be too general and not MMO specific enough.

Well that's a lot of words about some pie in the sky nerd projects, hope at least one of them makes it through at the end.

Just want to point out that the larger scale testing is actually what's next. They want to start setting up siege situations where they allow larger groups of people on a server group up and try attacking/defending a castle or fort so they can test siege gameplay, structure destruction and voxel bullshit, and if all of this holds up when more people are around. They claim to have some optimizations they can do in Unity to handle larger groups so we'll have to see how true that is and how far they can push it. But at lest we'll start to find out sooner rather than later.

Kimsemus posted:

It also will depend on how much the Crowfall devs encourage political intrigue like CCP does with EVE. Unfortunately, we won't know either of these things for a good while. :/

To their credit they've been pretty open about supporting that kind of emergent gameplay so far, it was a big part of their constant (and often corny) comparisons to Eve and Game of Thrones. As with the rest of the game, saying is one thing and actually doing is another. I'm not sure what the alt/guild situation is going to be like now with the Vessel system, but I seem to recall them before saying that guilds were going to be at the account level anyway, so you'd probably still need to make the investment for a second account (or at least commit with your main account) to do spying on other guilds or factions.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Doodeh posted:

Was away for a couple of months, what did I miss? Noticed that the CF forums went to poo poo.

Read the OP since the Vessel stuff was probably the biggest thing in recent memory. Siege testing should be in a month or two as well.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

malhavok posted:

Trip report from todays test: i don't know what they did but their control scheme is much much improved from last time. It doesn't feel "weird" anymore.

I didn't get to hit up the test last night to see, but it's good to hear that it seems to be working! I think I'll try and get a few games in tonight to see how it feels for me, even though it will be west server when I'm on east coast.

Also, there's a Skills FAQ up on the site now, in case anyone had some lingering questions about that.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Orv posted:

So, forget all this MMO poo poo, just make like a 100v100 version of this combat test. If they can make it actually work without being on the verge of lag explosion all the time it'd be pretty cool.

I'm pretty sure I saw you in my game, but then I changed graphic settings and my entire world went black and I couldn't see poo poo. Then I restarted to try and fix it and now I can't get back in to the server. :(

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Well, at least for the short time I actually got to play, the new controller is a HUGE improvement from the last test I did.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

I actually got some decent games in during the test today. Still having some FPS issues probably due to a combination of it being super unoptimized plus my computer being a few years old, but otherwise it was actually pretty fun.

Now that they've got character movement working better they need to work on how the abilities feel. A lot of them don't have much in the way of impact, so it's kind of hard to tell when you're hitting people sometimes, and many of them have fairly long animations that tend to root you in place, so it's difficult to get a good flow going. I know they have some more changes planned for that so we'll see how it works out.

Other than that though there's at least some rudimentary strategy possible once you understand how each of the classes work. It's a pretty good foundation to start with, they just need to get the actual combos and abilities feeling as good as it does to move your character around now.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Space Monster posted:

I'm assuming, based on the number and strength of orgasms I achieved while reading the FAQ, that this game is vaporware.

Not really, against all odds it's somehow got something actually playable. Granted right now it's just a combat test so I guess you could consider the campaign/EK stuff and destructibles and other stuff they haven't added yet vaporware, if you really want to. Siege testing is next month though so that will have some more features and we'll see if the game can actually handle larger-scale combat.

I think it's probably more of a question of what all will actually make it in to the initial release, and if they'll have to cut anything along the way.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

I'm probably going to pass on this one since I have a bunch of Blade and Soul related stuff to do tonight on account of the new content patch this week. I'm interested to hear if they've made any further improvements though.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

The Dregs campaign is actually 100% FFA full loot hugbox

if you win the campaign you just get a picture of Gordon that says YOU'RE WELCOME

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Cartouche posted:

I hope it doesn't result in the same AFK farming groups of horrible AI that SB was famous for. Is there actual leveling and gathering of resources? SB did some things well, and the rest of the game content was a limp/shallow mire of poo poo with semi-decent graphics.

The "leveling" is Eve-style skill training so it will be somewhat external to the gameplay and won't require actual leveling. Almost everything in the game is based on resources though and that's intended to be the main driver of PvP conflict. As far as I know there will still be some monster groups around that have resources (there already is in alpha) but I don't think they will be lucrative enough to the point where you'll be sitting there farming poo poo in groups for hours like in SB.

I'd like to get in a Siege Perilous game one of these days but it seems like you have to be around at the right time as they fill up pretty quick and then it's hard to get enough people to get another started.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

They did an article on the Druid. Looks like a pretty interesting design, I can't wait to light myself on fire from healing too hard.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Not really seeing what the big deal is here? They had always planned to launch with only the Dregs campaign and basic EK functionality and release more over time (hell, I even put this in the OP), so this basically the same thing just with a more firm message? I mean, what they're saying here was my expectation when I put down money in the first place. How did you manage to get such wildly different expectations for a loving kickstarter MMO?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

I see that the thread has restarted the cycle and we are back to complaining about kickstarters and forum mods. It's the Circle of Shitposting, and it moves us all (into the dumpster).

I suppose the next step is for me to make a big effortpost about something but I've been too busy with other games lately to pay much attention to Crowfall, so welp.