Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Looks like they're targeting late summer for the first Campaign prototypes. I'll be interested to see if they can hit that as well as they've hit their previous schedules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Lastgirl posted:

lmbo ok

discuss the ramfications

economic view points "its realistic and armies march on their stomachs."

ok go

At first i was also like "oh boy here we go" but then I started thinking about it and I kind of see what they're going for. The idea that you need to have some kind of "upkeep" over time for your character means that storing and attacking stuff like that ("food stores" or what not) has a meaningful effect on how longer battles can play out and how the campaign goes over time. I think there IS a fine line to hit between that being compelling gameplay or just an annoying thing to have to deal with but there are plenty of knobs to be turned there to work on that. It's also entirely possible they could make a "no hunger" campaign world at some point if it turns out a lot of people really aren't into the concept. Capntastic brought up a good point to in that this has some interesting potential for interactions with the campaign worlds as they turn toward winter.

I'm not about to Chicken Little over this or anything but I'm a little skeptical that they can REALLY make this work without it being an annoyance, but we'll see. They seem to be pretty willing to change stuff that's clearly not working, so far. As long as the system is relatively uncomplicated to deal with it might not be too bad.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

eSporks posted:

It's no shock to me that publishers would turn down a full loot PVP focused MMO. We haven't had a successful one in over a decade unless you count Day Z. The mainstream market wants to watch numbers climb not see gear lost.

For the love of all that is holy, I really hope they stick with the full loot plan. I don't know why Shadow babe decided to change it right before launch.

Well, "full loot" is only one of the planned campaigns (though it will be the first one they'll be testing, as I understand it). One of the core ideas of Crowfall is the fact that they can run multiple types of campaigns that can have different rulesets that would cater to different kinds of players.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Yeah it's good to see they're still sticking pretty close to their plan and it seems to be working. I'm glad they've tried to set reasonable goals and then actually made a good effort at hitting them.

I've been meaning to get back in and check things out now that the semi-persistent world stuff is up but I've been busy with other stuff. Hopefully I can find some time to check out the test this weekend.

edit: Also I'm probably going to update the OP soon just to reflect how things currently are, so if there's any goon-specific stuff that needs to be in there post it and I'll include it.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

OPs updated but I'm probably gonna put some more work into it to flesh it out more in the next couple days if I can find the time.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Yeah Something Cawful is a pretty good name and I've liked it since someone first mentioned it a long rear end time ago.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Any idea what faction we want to pick? I'm thinking about getting in on this test to see how things are coming along.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

The game's most likely going to soft launch over a length of time anyway, so I don't think you're going to get a specific date for quite awhile still.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Capntastic posted:

Hahaha after like a year of hyping up the archetype system being a focal point of how the game works they're trashing it? How is this gonna effect the whole "crow into a new body" side of things?

Did they ever really hype up the actual idea of archetypes? It was more the disciplines that were the important part and like, actual abilities/design. At any rate, they mention in the vid that it was more of a cost-saving thing early on and apparently they've done well enough with funding that they had the opportunity to shift gears with it and took it.

I'm glad for it because I'd much rather have some choice with races than have to be locked in. I hope the graphics overhaul and Unity upgrade will get things running more smoothly too, as that's been my primary gripe every time I've done a test.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Orv posted:

My concern, and really the thing I super don't like about their design, is that you can (if disciplines and such support it), create that character, but instead of it being an alt, you have to devote two months or whatever to being able to step into that role. That's not fun, it's not fun in EVE to wait and I certainly don't intend to pay a sub for Crowfall even it it does turn out good, so it's still lovely here.

They've stated a number of times that they want base proficiency/ability in whatever role to be something you acquire very quickly, with the longer/deeper tree upgrades being smaller incremental stat upgrades and such. If they can stick to that I think that will help mitigate the "I need X months before I can do this thing at all" issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Thanks for doing this! I'll go ahead and close this thread. I knew it was releasing last month and have been meaning to give it a try but I have too much other stuff going on at the moment. Hope you nerds are having fun and hopefully I'll see you around at some point!