Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Haven't posted in here in a month, did I miss anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

wayfinder posted:

The chance to make it two?

Nice.

wayfinder posted:

Mozart in the Jungle is, by far, the more entertaining, better-written and better-acted show.

I watched the first season and thoroughly enjoyed. Looking forward to the next.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

By the way, if I can get pedantic, "showrunning" is a much different skillset from "writing." Writing is about what's on the page. Showrunning is largely about making sure the production runs smoothly while keeping the final product true to your vision. If you're interested in all the poo poo that's involved in good showrunning, Javier Grillo-Marxuach (Lost, The Middleman, The 100) lays it out here: http://okbjgm.weebly.com/the-eleven-laws-of-showrunning.html

Loving this article. Been catching up with The X-Files, and the greatest thing about it is that it's actually five different shows or so. There's the Mythos episodes (Chris Carter written), the brilliant but messed up Mulder focus episodes (Howard Gordon), the absolutely bloody episodes (Glen Morgan and James Wong), the fast paced crime episodes (Vince Gilligan, still haven't seen most of his episodes), and the humanistic, All About Eve level dialogue episodes (Darin Morgan).

Carter basically gave his writers free reign to produce their own episodes, creating a multi-layered show that in turn created a wave of televison shows as they left the show. It's great stuff, and shows how humble and perceptive he was.

Am I wrong, but the piece seems to be anti-Dan Harmon screed, even if it isn't meant as so.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Their support is really lovely right now too. The entire Netflix Q&A section is responses of "Hi we've sent you a private email, please reply!" instead of just posting something other people can read.

There's been a few articles about Netflix really cracking down on people using those programs.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

hope and vaseline posted:

Apparently? His output post X-Files doesn't seem very prolific.

Yeah, he only has a couple of episodes of Millenium (with another Jose Chung related episode) basically. The guy is almost as prolific as Salinger.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

zoux posted:

AV Club liked it too. The Cuba Gooding Jrenissaince is upon us!

Favorite Cuba Gooding story: apparently in the SNL greenroom, Monica Lewinsky (who was also in the episode he hosted) was getting all the attention from the cast and crew. Cuba says gently caress this, and gets on a table and starts dancing. This is according to Horatio Sanz.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ShakeZula posted:

I guess my problems with it are A) there is no shortage of interesting high-profile criminal cases they could explore instead, B) it seems like a mistake to stretch the definition of the titular "crime" so quickly, and C) I guess I figured they would use the anthology format to explore a wide variety of themes rather than focusing so tightly on race, and D) Katrina is a much fresher subject in the national consciousness, which makes "taking a look back" a much less compelling hook.

Could it be good? Sure. But a big part of my interest in this anthology series was the idea of dramatizing controversial or iconic criminal cases, and it feels like a letdown to have that possibility abandoned so quickly.

Katrina caused an utter shitshow in New Orleans where you had police officers shooting en masse into crowds, and white people in trucks hunting anyone with darker skin who strayed into their neighborhood. We still don't have a number on how many murders happened there.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

Manhattan season two is significantly, significantly better than season one

Is it streaming anywhere legal? I needs it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yoshifan823 posted:

I've been a lovely TV fan over the last few years, but since I have DirecTV and a DVR now, I want to keep up with some stuff. I've already decided on The People v OJ Simpson, and I'm gonna try to get caught up on American Crime (the other one). What's some stuff starting now (or that started within the last couple months that gets replayed a lot) that I should keep up with. I don't want to just jump into stuff that's been airing for a while (my internet connection is such that I can't really stream stuff anymore, hence the DVR), but I'm looking for a nice variety.

I'm totally gonna watch The Flash again too. That's the only show I kept up with last year, aside from Parks and Rec.

If you liked the Flash, then you oughta check out the Legions of Tomorrow spin-off. Someone joked in its thread about the good writers in the CW superhero stable migrating from Arrow S2 to Flash S1 to Legions of Tomorrow S1, and it seems pretty plausible to me.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

hahahahaha god isn't robert kirkman terrible

The character is so wonderously ill-thought that I might even check out the Walking Dead when he arrives. He's that bad.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Are they at Negan? That's where I checked out on the comics. Z-Nation is the zombie show to watch.

Apparently.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Manos del Sino posted:

My favorite parts of the latest episodes have been those NOT involving the main character. Her coworkers, White Josh, the neighbor chick... the ensemble is keeping me interested while I cringe over all the main Crazy Ex stuff.

Not that the main course of the show is bad, it's just so awkward that it needs the balance the rest of it is bringing.

Sounds alot like Felicity. If you're really not into musicals, is this a show worth getting into? Just finished Casual (what happened at the end there anyway) and looking for some modern romance comedy poo poo.

EDIT:

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Does every medical show need an episode where a brave and noble doctor defies the wishes of someone suffering fights for what's right despite the 'law' and 'moral obligations of his post' and ignores a DNR? Chicago Med is good but last week it had an episode about the evil CPS eagerly stealing a poor man's child and now this one where the moral seems to be 'no gently caress this lady and her DNR I know best'.

poo poo like this is actively making it harder to get kids out of insanely abusive situations.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 10, 2016

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

zoux posted:

You guys wanna hear a hotass take from me?

The Last Kingdom is what Vikings tried to be and failed.

Cool! is it streaming anywhere?

EDIT: Since this is the second time I've asked a where is it streaming question, what's the best place you guys to find out whether something is playing on Hulu, Amazon, or Netflix?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

sbaldrick posted:

It's streaming on netflix Canada if the VPN still works.

Can't wait.

Hmmm, don't think it is. In better news, here's an article talking about what's going to go up on Hulu, including Unreal!

http://www.vulture.com/2016/01/whats-new-on-hulu-february-2016.html

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

british houseofcardsman was the villain because he was powerhungry and manipulative but american houseofcardsman is the hero because he is powerhungry and manipulative

Is the british version worth watching? I liked the first five minutes of it, with the speechifying. Seemed more my speed than the stupid fantasy of what I've seen from the American version.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

xcore posted:

I posted about this a couple of days ago. I'm really digging it. I'm halfway through Episode 9 at the moment.

What are peoples thoughts on The Man in the High Castle? I was recommended both of these shows by a mate and wondering if I'm gonna watch two winners in a row.

I lost interest a few episodes in. Nothing too egregious, just was too busy with other stuff/tv to get back into it.

EDIT: About @midnight (which I still haven't seen, too many episodes/lack of interest I guess), on a comedy podcast I subscribe too, apparently some jokes do get cut out for being too dirty. And at least some of the stuff is improved (the offending material being about a co-guest's humping habits).

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 12, 2016

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

I've read a couple of reviews that expressed disappointment that it was another version of the kind of cable antihero drama that's in such short supply these days, and those complaints aren't without merit. By the end of the first episode, it's basically set up to be a coke-fueled Mad Men set in the New York music industry in the 70s.

It comes to this: does that sound good to you? Do you trust the guy who made Boardwalk Empire to make you feel it was worth a 10 hour investment? Or are you already rolling your eyes in boredom?

PS: The co-creator of Banshee pitched in on at least one episode of this show, though sadly I don't think it will involve Bobby Cannavale ripping apart some dude's hand in a pitched fistfight.

This is huge praise. I'll check out the first episode.

EDIT: I mean I'll give it a spin.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

IRQ posted:

Could just be that we're done collectively going nuts over near-past period dramas about X industry.

Don't you count out my Daryl F. Zanuck five season dream project you son of a bitch

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Sorry Occ but I gotta agree with Mu here. s3 finale > s2 finale, even though I get your reasoning re not pussying out of the obvious choice although they probably set him up to die from the beginning of the season because Michael Pitt is a oval office

Oh come on that was just an (admittedly) cool action scene, the third season was the culmination of the entire show's arc. I was as surprised as anyone to see that the show managed to find something else to focus on for the remainder of the run (still waiting for the last season to end up on Amazon, Hulu, or Netflix).

EDIT: I can't express how funny I found the run-up to the Entourage movie was. Like "Vinny and the Boys" showing up on late night shows talking about how much fans needed the closure to the show's many arcs and the overwhelming need for a movie. It was great. How much did that movie make again?

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Feb 18, 2016

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

How's "The Killing" (US Version)? I can't say I've heard too much about it but it looks to be highly rated on Netflix and IMDB. Looking for something new to dive into now that I've finished Hannibal.

Terrible, and a huge waste of time. You caught up on Fargo?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The Duke posted:

Honestly I kind of forgot about Children's Hospital after like 3 seasons (happens to me a lot with Adult Swim shows since their schedules are so wacky), is it worth catching up on? Is it still the same show or did they change it up in some significant way?

Also should I go back and watch the first 3 seasons again so I don't miss any hilarious callbacks in like season 6?

Watch any episode written by Jason Mantzoukis. He's like the Darin Morgan of Childrens Hospital.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

As far as TV shows go, TWW is probably up there for being the most densely packed with information. It isn't a documentary or anything, and maybe the storylines were overly starry-eyed and the implications troubling, but it touched on stuff you'd hardly ever see anywhere, from the consequences of leaking intelligence to exploring bringing back wolves in the West.

I haven't seen it in years, but I still think its a pretty great show. I also have never watched the Newsroom.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

That's most of the shows people post about here.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Doghouse posted:

The only TV shows I like are of the spy/thriller/action/intrigue/mystery variety: 24, Homeland, The Americans, these shows are like cocaine. But I've watched all the episodes of all three, is there anything else at all in a similar vein that I am missing? I tried The Wire but I found it boring and could barely make it through one episode.

The first season of Homeland? Its made by the same guy who did 24. Don't tempt fate by going beyond the season 1 finale. There be dragons.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy miniseries? Wasn't there a recent German show about the Cold War in East Berlin that critics have been raving about? Trying to remember...

Oh yeah and Jericho.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Vodos posted:

Deutschland 83, it's pretty good.

That's the one. I'll get right on it right after my great Mad Men rewatch of 2016.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

This. Leverage is what you're looking for.

I mean, there are down moments. But it's to set up the feel good.

If you want a real feel-good, real hilarious show, Broad City works.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Speaking of shows killed before their time, Better Off Ted.

I yearn for more seasons. Like, really yearn.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Spent yday going through Moonbeam City on OnDemand

Its good! Its like Archer without all the constricting continuity plus an art designer gone mad. Its pretty as hell and the humor is perfectly irreverent and left field. Check it out.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

none of this is true

Okay!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

xcore posted:

The answer is always going to be "it depends". But a general overview would be, the showrunner has an idea of the stories they want to tell in the episode. The writers will all collaborate to flesh out the episode, decide on story beats and episode arcs, then the head writer for the episode will go off and write the episode. First draft will be complete and they will all meet up to tear the script apart. Rinse and repeat.

(this is all based off TV show podcasts I listen to. I have no actual experience)

There's some good writer blogs (including an article by the guy who ran the Middlemen and was a writer for Lost, forgot his name) that really get into it, but different shows have different approaches. X-Files, for example, had a pretty loose structure that allowed writers to basically produce their own episodes, from initial idea to casting to being on set during shooting to even editing. Then there are shows that are way more controlled by the showrunner, Mathew Weiner basically putting his fingerprints on every episode of Mad Men for example.

Vince Gilligan apparently would have a summit with writers where different things they would want to see would be put up on a whiteboard. Gilligan would then sketch out a vague arc to the season, then collaborate for each individual episode, assigning one writer to outline and flesh out a draft of an episode based on the input of the writers room. Then Gilligan would check it out, and send it back, and repeat. But its all a very fluid process.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

just don't watch shows you don't like. what the gently caress is wrong with you people

I feel like people watch TWD just to get angry about something.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

Watched

Better Call Saul,
Walking Dead,
Limitless,
Mr Roboto,
Fear the walking dead,
Rewatched breaking bad,
The last ship season one was awful,
Sleepy hollow was awful,
all sunny seasons,
American dad,
Gold rush

I have a feeling all superhero shows are just riding the coattails of movies they arn't.

Mad Men? The current season of Broad City is killing it. Kroll show did a great job finishing their three season run. I don't know....got anything in mind? Especially if you can cite examples of shows near what you're looking for you've already watched?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Snak posted:

For real. He didn't just bring back Lazarus, he went and brough himself back to, because by the end of season 5 they were already out of ideas and immediatly brought him back in the 3rd loving episode of season 6 because they had no idea where to go with it. But then the actor wanted out more than ever, since they were just writing pure garbage at that point (can you believe they actually filmed the scene where the cross itself talks?) so he "Ascended" right after coming back and still left the show.

Then they went completely of the rails in the last season, changed the genre of the show, and tried to turn it into some apocalyptic flashforward that was all just a premonition or something. No one cares about one character from season 4 enough to make him the framing mechanic for an entire season of "what if".

This is a great post.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah but Joss Whedon never made Jennifer's Body, so point Whedon.

Jennifer's Body isn't that bad, Adam Brody is pretty hilarious in it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

It's not bad at all, and while I don't think the horror aspects quite work - probably because while it's visually nice to look at, the Director doesn't seem to know how to handle the tone - it is a great movie about toxic relationships, to the point where the horror aspects kind of work against it. It would make a great double-bill with GINGER SNAPS.

Also, I didn't see the Black Widow relationship in Ultron that way at all, but I can understand that particular reading of it. I can see why someone like Black Widow would find some comfort in a man who would prefer not to fight and find peace - which I believe is how she explains it in the movie. My only real issue is how out of nowhere it comes. In an already bloated movie that was definitely one of the plots they needed to reconsider.

A really great pairing is this canadian vampire movie, SUCK. It's a genuinely hilarious movie similar to Jennifer's Body, except I can't think of any negatives. Instead of terrible relationship, it involved a terrible band, with Dave Foley taking up the Adam Brody pure rear end in a top hat mantle, except he's the manager so he's way more significant in the movie.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

American Crime Story was so good you guys. Just finished marathoning the series and I feel like I just finished a juicy steak. Pretty content.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

smg77 posted:

Television Without Pity is making a comeback

On the one hand I'm glad that avclub will have some competition because their reviewers have been boring lately but TWoP was so aggressively bad the last few years it was limping along that it might not be a good idea to bring it back. I still have nostalgia from when it was a Dawson's Creek fansite... :shobon:

Well thats a flashback. I can't ever get enough references to Angel and his eternal nemesis, doors.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Spatula City posted:

it was super, ultra dope, except for one aggressively dumb plotline that needs to be fixed being fairly relevant (Blaine's amnesia), and on a related note, Peyton being turned into a damsel in distress, though they were careful to show her attempting to escape.
The Max Rager plot was resolved perfectly, albeit with a ridiculous plot contrivance. which the show gets away with because it's funny as hell. and the season 3 threat is seamlessly set up, expanding the scope of the show in a major way. poo poo's about to get real.

iZombie is also great because its main characters are all wonderful. Clive could easily be boring, and he started out being the that way, but he's developed a bunch of entertaining idiosyncrasies. plus his whole Serpico complex. my favorite Clive moment, other than his super-cute thing with the FBI agent, was his utter enthusiasm with the craft services table at the TV show set. "Is that lasagna?!" :3:

Got bored with the episode of the week format, but this sounds good enough to try to give it another shot. I really liked the first season.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

Hannibal and Helix were cancelled which means the two biggest live-action American animes are no more.

So what did Helix turn out to be about again? The Thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Finally got around to watching the entirety of Mr. Robot and I need to change my best of 2015 post haste. A lack of resolution at the end (which is probably purposeful) only slightly tarnishes one of the best first TV seasons I've ever seen.

• Locked thread