Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Manuel Calavera posted:

Bizarro, 1985 by Dan Piraro. Single panel absurdist humor. The number by Piraro's name is a signal for a number of hidden objects within the panel. The list of them can be found on his site.

Piraro is weird. And sometimes the strip generates a lot of debate based on his opinions.

But what will you do about the crusty jugglers??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

SomeMathGuy posted:

Mark Trail

Between Gabe's soulless eyes and the bizarre "Let's spend a couple of days in a cave together" setup, this is reading like the beginning of a weird horror movie.

Between this lumpy guy and Amphibious Action Fivehead Ken, it's looking like James Allen has been putting real people in the strip so they can fulfill their lifelong dream of hanging out with a muscly outdoorsman cartoon character. Whether he's just drawing his fat dad buddies for laughs or earning some cash on the side from internet perverts remains to be seen.

Selachian posted:

Pros and Cons

Hooray :D

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

dismas posted:

I think it's fat dad buddies and that fact makes me really happy for some reason

I keep thinking back to doughy-looking Ken taking off his shirt to reveal Hulk muscles and clobbering the bejeezus out of some armed bad guys and now I agree with you on both counts.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Calaveron posted:

Holy gently caress is the silver age poo poo in funky winkerbean the most aggravating poo poo ever. Just write down "yes the corporate people in the creative industries are bad" on a semen-smeared strip of paper and send it in for print.

Anytime anything, anything at all happens at that stupid comics company they bitch about how old-times comics men didn't have to deal with this! and then we all have to watch the old-time comics doppelgängers deal with it for a week.

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

Shannon's entirely disinterested father is constantly dumping her on his sister. Once Aunt Toni has her, the excuse is always different but the consequence is always the same: Shannon is always pushed off onto the first warm body that can be found. She is one of the only characters in Luann that I actually feel sorry for (the other being Tiffany, sometimes). And of course I'm not supposed to feel sorry for this neglected child because she is "a brat."

Whoa for some reason it's mega important that I discuss the wedding that's nine months away RIGHT NOW with a person we see literally every day!! Gotta run I can't hear you sorry Shannooooonnnn!!

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Evil Mastermind posted:

I don't know what it is, but the art in this Mark Trail story is really unsettling. It's probably just me, but it feels like the kind of art you see in an indie self-published horror comic book from the 90's.

I think James Allen is not actually a very good artist, and he's still mostly coasting on copy-pasted Trailface from the years of jackelrod archives. New characters look pretty rough. The bad guy from a couple days ago especially looks like he's an extra from GI Joe.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake.

If it makes you feel any better, the real answer is "the two photos are manipulated because every time-stamped photo set that appears in this comic has been manipulated."

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

RandomFerret posted:

Lost Side of Suburbia

It was always going to be these two facing down Flymm. It ends the way it started.

I'm laughing my rear end off at the idea that Kory Merritt is going to take this It reference all the way

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost
"Gay and Her Gang" is cool; please keep it up if you can.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

That looks nothing like a DaimyoChrysler.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Countdown until we get strips memorializing Antonin Scalia begins now. Over/under on Dustin being the first one?

Hahaha I'm sure dozens of lazy infantile gag comic artists are sprinting headlong to submit Supreme Court Justice obituary hot takes to their syndicates. Dagwood Bumstead shedding a tear over a gargantuan sandwich with a gavel stuck in it. Marigold Heavenly Nostrils looking wistfully at a sparkling, hovering 5-4 decision. Small children everywhere, eyes filling with tears, internalizing the concept of death mere instants before "Pluggers" asserts the constitutionality of the death penalty (again).

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

kidcoelacanth posted:

I actually really want all of this though

"Dustin" just three full-black panels, not signifying mourning but actually showing Steve Kelley performing a profane ritual in a lightless, soundless space below ground (unseen, Jeff Parker struggles against his bloodied bonds as Kelley raises the obsidian knife; a black-on-black box in panel 3 reads, invisibly, "TOMORROW:").

e: Marmaduke just dresses up like a judge and somehow legally enjoins his Mustache Man owner to give him all the bones, forever. No one questions this event, or the validity of the ruling.

A HUNGRY MOUTH fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 14, 2016

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost
Janis is dusting, and is tempted to start reading books instead. That happens to me pretty much any time I do serious cleaning, because cleaning is boring, so I thought it was relatable and funny.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Julet Esqu posted:

Big Ben Bolt

1. It's been at least a few storylines since it was mentioned, but yes. Sunday Ben Bolt went back to school and is taking college classes. Dana, I believe, is his surly tutor.

2. If the tutor is the same guy as before, that makes his girlfriend (wife?) a friend of Ben Bolt's girlfriend. That's how the two of them met.

3. Regardless of whether these are the same people (and they look the same) they should have been hanging out enough by now to know they don't have to put on airs. Hell, it was a major plot point of the other arc that Dana was inordinately touchy about the fact that he worked in a deli and thought Ben was making fun of him by going there one time.

I have no idea who this guy is. George was the surly tutor with the inferiority complex.

Selachian posted:

Wasn't Ben's surly tutor named George last time we saw him, though?

:shittydog:

A HUNGRY MOUTH fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 22, 2016

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost
The foal is stuck in the mud and he's laying down brush for footing so he can pull it out. Meanwhile he's telling the mother to be a more attentive parent to prevent things like this from happening. The joke is that he's giving advice to a horse. It's super funny, if you're an early 20th-century cowboy and haven't seen another human being in weeks.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

dismas posted:

Rex . . . consider paying someone

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Slammy posted:

Gay and Her Gang (click for big)

Puffed rice was invented nearly thirty years prior, but making it still required "puffing guns," rotating metal vessels in which grains were both heated and pressurized. Quickly opening the vessel caused water in the grains to vaporize and expand all at once, puffing the grain (and shooting it everywhere), but it was an inefficient process. Also, the puffing guns were heavy machinery, reinforced in order to protect against rupturing.

Trent posted:

I do enjoy Everett True beating the hell out of the big business politicians, assholes, litterbugs, and manspreaders, but sometimes it gets a little iffy with the 'wristwatches are for women, you queer!' *SMASH*

True hates obnoxiousness in all its forms, including affectations—which is what men's wristwatches were before World War I. He's not gay-bashing, he's punching a hipster.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Endless Mike posted:

Ohhhhhh that guy.

fuckin' Knute flipping out on a dude

Shugojin posted:

Also he repeatedly hit on the hispanic girl that they wrote out of the comic and gunther was too much of a weenie to do anything about it.

Not true! Gunther ~rescued~ her by "accidentally" swinging his heavy nerd backpack into Leslie a couple of times. I think that may have actually been the inciting event of their relationship.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Julet Esqu posted:

Radio Patrol

I'd be okay with the rest of this strip being this half-dead dude slowly, ineffectually trying to get the drop on the police officers.

*lolls head to left, reaches trembling arm toward nearby jar labeled POLICE POISON* "Now cut that out!!"

*shakily fills out ACME order form, seals envelope, weakly attempts to lick stamp* "Say! That's about enough outta you!!"

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Evil Mastermind posted:

My guess is that she forgot she took out the book, she's going to spend a week stressing out because of the HUGE LATE FEE of $100, then find out that the reason they never contacted her is because either the library lost the record of the book being loaned or because they closed down.

Nice try, but we both know libraries never close because they're the unstoppable anticapitalist juggernaut slaughtering Mom & Pop Main Street!! You can't compete with free!!

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

ZeeToo posted:

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but the lesson in this whole arc in Barnaby has been "judge people by their looks", right? Like, Barnaby assumed the ogre was evil just because he looked evil, and Barnaby was vindicated on this: no one could look that sinister without actually being a Nazi menace.

And this has continued to be the case.

I'm remembering this right, right? :psyduck:

[edited this part out because I missed the one strip where the Ogre said "Yes I'm mega evil, uwee hee hee" and went on a weird diatribe about how obviously he wasn't]

Also "We can't let Mr. Jones suspect we know he's the Ogre, which is why I yelled 'IT'S THE OGRE!!' at him and ran away just a minute ago."

A HUNGRY MOUTH fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 31, 2016

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost
I'm almost entirely sure Mark Trail was expertly free-climbing a rocky overhang when he got the phone call that started this story arc.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Shai-Hulud posted:

Well yeah. He probably went through the cave.

This is the fourth or fifth time James Allen has copy-pasted that face in the second panel. I can't decide whether to be irritated at the laziness or grateful he isn't attempting to draw something beyond weird, tiny hands. What I'm subtly hinting at is that James Allen is bad. I don't like James Allen. He's a poor artist. By this point I have started to yell

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Slammy posted:

Chris Ware :swoon:

Wow, that book didn't look four feet tall in the first few pictures but I guess it must be!!

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Seriously what the gently caress is this. Her facial features haven't held steady for more than two days at a time, and that's even with copious copy-pasting. Which means that Katharine Hepburn was in Mark Trail at some point I guess?

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Ha ha ha ! Another classic yuk from that joyful soul, Lynn Johnston!

:(

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost
Candorville is just so loving self-indulgent. All the time.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

Please stop posting this strip. The art is an insult.

Everything in "One Big Happy" points toward Buggy Crispino having a completely awful home life, but every single person in the strip just acts like he's a bad seed or something.

Julet Esqu posted:

Radio Patrol

The burned faces on the wall are great. The whole sequence where The Stranger was drawing the faces and searing them was chilling, and the crudeness of the drawings makes it even spookier. In the first storyline, The Stranger was intelligent, methodical, and had a really clever plan that just happened to fall apart completely. Now he's so consumed with hatred that his tactics have devolved to "grab them and burn them." A+ "Radio Patrol" Great Job

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Strontium posted:

Is this a vote for me posting Fort Knox again? Because I will post Fort Knox again if you'd rather have that.

It's upsetting to me that you feel required to do something nobody enjoys, but if this is truly the life you want, then live it.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Marble Madden 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvUU8joBb1Q

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

"Ok James, this is it. You've spent your whole life preparing for this super sexy moment in the 'Mark Trail' comic strip. All the grandmas are going to write letters about this hot mama smooching a beloved funny-pages icon. Let's get sultry!!"

*cracks knuckles*

*draws Moe Szyslak*

"gently caress."

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Julet Esqu posted:

Big Ben Bolt

Wasn't there a storyline early on in the sports-writer part of his career where Bolt went to a boxing match and immediately recognized that it was fixed, just by the way the boxers were moving? And now all of a sudden he's pounding his temples, going, "This amazing phenom player is having all kinds of run-ins with thugs and shady grandpas and isn't playing as well as he was . . . WHAT COULD IT MEAN??"

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

It might all be worth it just for commentary from this knucklehead:

IamJayBlue is, as far as I can tell, literally insane. I wonder if he still comes up with "hilarious" titles for individual strips.

e: this dude makes my skin crawl

A HUNGRY MOUTH fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 4, 2016

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

And gold! And jewels! And rare artifacts! An oil well! Three winning lottery tickets! A record-breaking catfish! Ice cream!

The legionary eagles of Publius Quinctilius Varus! Eighty-cents-per-gallon gasoline! An Addams Family™ pinball machine, stuck on "free play"! Five hats!

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Simian_Prime posted:

Something about that last panel in Tina's Groove made me laugh really hard today, don't know why.

Same here; he just looks so exasperated.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Johnny Aztec posted:

I really don't get this one. I just feel like there is something there that someone living in that time would have got, but is so far removed from me.
Guy is helping, but is making milk in a meat shop?

My best guess is that he's "helping" by watering it down so there's more milk to sell.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

treasureplane posted:

Gasoline Alley (April 17, 1923)

Remember that when this strip was published, young children dying of infectious disease was a very real and immediate part of life. My grandmother (born 1924) occasionally told me stories about her siblings, two of whom did not make it to the age of ten. This is a good comic strip.

Aardmania posted:

Pibgorn Wahoo Terminal

This is garbage. This is pus. This is less than nothing.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

quote:

"Our country has become one that values instant gratification above all else. In this age of gigabit downloads and microwaved meals, I fear that we have forgotten the value of a well-crafted story. These stories take time to develop. 'Mark Trail' is such a story."

Congratulations, Trent Sindelar, real person and not at all anagram for "Internet Lards," is officially already more entertaining than James Allen

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

This is Brooke McEldowney at his best.

This is just one of those times where it's especially grating that he's so arch about good taste and the hoi polloi IRL because his sole comedic trick is pairing one hundred syllables with a bodily function and/or raunch joke so basic that even Wild Bill Shakespeare would burn it in shame.

SomeMathGuy posted:

Oh dear god I've been posting this loving cave plot for six months. :suicide:

Incidentally, it seems that if you Google "Mark Trail" that panel that Jam Essallen got an editorial reprimand over has been posted in a few places. It's as simultaneously innocuous and as bad as you'd think.

I'm trying to figure out what's scarier - Cherry's proportions, terrifying lack of a neck, or the implications of that date in the bottom right hand corner.

Ahaha all those white-out lines below the navel, the grandma hair, the strugglehand, I'm dying

e: the obscured toes !!

A HUNGRY MOUTH fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 15, 2016

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

This Things I Believe.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Odonata posted:

Moving. Spiritually enriching. Sublime. “High” art, or, Gasoline Alley

*bleedeep**bleedeep*
OTACON: Snake! Watch out! He's older than he looks! You can tell by the gold cane!
SNAKE: Gold cane, huh?
OTACON: That's right! The gold cane proves he's defeated many calendars!
SNAKE: Hmmm . . . what should I do?
OTACON: If you listen carefully, he always narrates exactly what he's going to do right before he does it. Just pay attention!
SNAKE: I owe you one, Otacon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Julet Esqu posted:

Radio Patrol

Pinky irritates me because he's Audie loving Murphy in a twelve-year-old's body. He never actually acts like a child, is never sad, scared, or overwhelmed, and is always doing the absolute bravest and smartest thing in any given situation. I mean, I completely understand why the child character in an action comic strip for children has these character traits, but it's taken to such an extreme. In the "haunting scam" storyline he was ordering an adult-rear end woman around and explaining to her the baby-level illusions being used while she was relegated to dating the bad guy and going "???" all the time and it's just, drat.

• Locked thread