Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Raskolnikov38 posted:

What the hell was the point of the reset if they're just going to re-do everything that was reset?

To mercilessly gently caress with the gocomics commenters who wanted to hook Rip up with Cobra?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Odonata posted:

Nope. Calling bullshit on this one.
Why would they think for a moment that it was their house on fire? They're far enough away that they had to drive there- it's not like the fire truck was pulling up across the street from the diner. Do they panic every single time they hear a siren?
Unless it's because they know they live in the Funkyverse, where all life is suffering.

That's my rant. "Enjoy" some "quality" comics:

Crankshaft has a chimney fire every year because he neglects to get a chimney cleaning service to come and clean out any of the random crap that collects in there throughout the off season. This passes for a running joke in the Funkyverse.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

RandomFerret posted:

Ballard Street

Just so we're all clear, Neal went out, set up his own police cordon with do not cross tape, and then ran through it in his gotchies.

Ballard Street has only one community rule: don't kinkshame.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I don't know what this was supposed to be but I can't help but read it as a "joke" about dementia :stare:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

What was the name of that strip that had the clown/mime character that did crazy stuff with the design elements in the comic? And is there an online collection of them?

Also is The Bus available anywhere online to read?

I believe it was called Panto but I can't find it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Tiggum posted:

The timeline is weird, because Funky Winkerbean's time-jumps don't actually change the year. The characters all age up and their lives have progressed, but the strip is still set in the present just like it always was. Crankshaft is also set in the present, but from the perspective of Funky Winkerbean it's the past. There are even crossovers where the characters in Funky remember the events currently happening in Crankshaft as being a long time past, even though they're happening now. So for example, in 2016 Les and Funky might reminisce about something that happened 20 years ago, in 2016. And even though the current Crankshaft story is set in 2016, if we see Crankshaft himself appear in Funky Winkerbean, he'll be 20 years older. It makes no sense.

They're all in Hell where time has no meaning and suffering is eternal.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Y'all don't know about giving directions until you try to give a drunk guy with serious meth mouth directions to a place you never go but know where it is.

:gonk:

e: He actually had the presence of mind to ask for exit numbers and stuff which was impressive for a drunk guy who isn't even driving

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

This poo poo is such a soul crushingly accurate depiction of bullying :smith:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I don't think even the state of pennsylvania would let people drive across a bridge that can't support more than one car.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

The main cast of Luann is just a bunch of self centered idiots talking past everyone including each other.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I wonder if anyone has sent Batiuk hatemail pointing out that antimatter and matter actually attract one another yet.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah I guess just the extra level of wrong is setting me over the edge.

Then again this is the universe with cancerghostwives so I should just let it go.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Zereth posted:

Aren't the properties of antimatter "Behaving exactly like matter, except it explodes if it contacts matter"?

Not quite! I'm oversimplifying a bit (there are a number of interesting little particles who are their own antiparticle, such as photons) but the standard antimatter is the same mass but opposite charge. Examples of this less weird kind are the positron (an electron-mass particle with a positive charge) and the antiproton (a proton-mass particle with a negative charge). Since the charges are opposite this type of antiparticle is strongly attracted to its counterpart. Antimatter can form normal atoms. In fact, CERN has actually produced antihydrogen!

Of course, this doesn't apply to things without charge. Antineutrons exist and those are obviously still neutrally charged.

:science:

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 5, 2016

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Darthemed posted:

I was using some old newspapers to pack things up, and came across this Luann, which I didn't remember seeing here, so I thought I'd share it.

Didn't all the money come from TJ's insurance fraud anyway

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

SomeMathGuy posted:

"poo poo, we just wrote a bunch of strips where everything is clearly Luann's fault, how can we salvage this?" "Have Quill say something douchey that is almost entirely contrary to the flow of their argument?" "Perfect."

Mark Trail

Mark's back is RIPPED

SomeMathGuy posted:

The Phantom

As has been noted, the Phantom has major qualms about taking sides in a Bandar matter, but clearly gives zero fucks about openly being a tool of fear-based propaganda in other governments. There are sinister implications afoot here.

Weirdly taking sides here but maybe he's okay with interfering in elections with force but not capitalizing on the weird hero-worship the Bandar have for him?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Wow, that's petty.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Also he repeatedly hit on the hispanic girl that they wrote out of the comic and gunther was too much of a weenie to do anything about it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

This strip is putting an awful lot of effort to establish a couple of characters who are just going to be forgotten background players within six months, like everybody else who didn't graduate with Les Moore.

Also, the colorist changed the hair color

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Smets posted:

"$109.20?! Could there even be that much money?"

Don't most libraries just cap out at the cost of a replacement copy though?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

This is like the bleakest joke I've ever read and I can't stop laughing at it

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

You know if you assume that you and your spouse have no interests in common and that this is okay...

man Lynn's generation is weird

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Tunicate posted:

Ugh, hate it when people propagate the inevitable cycle of abuse myth.

Having an abused parent in a high-risk family means the odds jump from 10% to 23%, yeah. The odds are worse, yeah. That's not a guarantee, and what the pat 'cycle of abuse' story does is both shift blame away from the abuser, and tell the victim that they're a monster now. Neither of those are good things.

My mom was abused but was a very good mom :3:

Seriously her dad gave out hypodermic injections of hot water as punishments he was Seriously hosed Up

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

LordSaturn posted:

What does that even do :psyduck:

We had Childhood is Hell in the house when I was a child, and I read it many times. That page looks different to me now than it did then.

Hurt a lot and cause pretty bad inflammation mostly.

If you tried it in modern times you'd get in tons of poo poo from CPS probably but uhhhh this was the 50s/60s so

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Occasionally the world gives you a thing you never knew you needed until it was in front of you :stwoon:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

SubNat posted:

Well, they can look like that, but you're sure as hell not going to be walking around without protection in one.

For the record, that 90 degrees is a vast understatement because Naica (the one you have a picture of) is more like 140 and has 90+ % humidity. Sauna temperatures and steam room humidity. A great way to get heatstroke!

e: Also it's normally flooded, it's just drained right now because the mining company who accidentally discovered it is pumping out the water so it doesn't leak into their mine

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Wanamingo posted:

I'm saying that once you get to a certain level of quality, jams even out and become pretty indistinguishable from each other. Your grandma's lingonberry jam is a far sight better than any old random poo poo, but there's not much it can do to edge out that overpriced jar of all natural, organic jam you can get at your local healthfood store.

Except for cost waaaaaaaaaay less, of course.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Selachian posted:

Pluggers know they're not worth $15 an hour. Pluggers know their place.

I work with a Plugger like this, she's deaf as all gently caress (diagnosed) and won't get hearing aids. She can't afford them and is too prideful to take her son who has more than enough cash to finance hearing aids for his 70something mother on his offer to buy them for her.

Pluggers who didn't plan for retirement are really depressing :smith:

e: She has a customer facing job, too. It's super depressing. Like nobody wants to fire her but we aren't sure there is any other solution because it causes such huge problems with her job so right now we just let it slide in the hope that she dies before we have to do anything about it :smithicide:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Memorising times tables (up to 10) is actually incredibly useful though. :confused:

Because there isn't really a good algorithm for the single digits it's still useful to memorize them. Once you are done there though you can just use whatever two/three/whatever digit algorithm you feel like though! Which is why it was "up to the 20s".

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Pluggers on an extra bleak streak lately. :stare:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I just want to state my joy that Rip Haywire did that whole universe reboot only to brutally gently caress with the people on GoComics who angrily state that Rip should be with Cobra all over again :allears:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Trent posted:

I can't decide between "Look, It's like C&H! Love me!" and "I actually have some talent, so I want it to look like it does most of the time!"

I mean, it's better than I could do, but I'm not trying to make money as an artist. It's also better than a lot of crap posted here but that's a depressingly, insultingly low bar when it includes stuff like Reply All and Oh Baby

I can't quite make up my mind on it either but it's got charm to it and that's something lacking in the zombie strips and a lot of the newer ones too. Like it's not trying to hold itself to a formula and instead actually doing something.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

this is hilarious as hell in view of "adult" coloring books existing but was certainly not meant that way

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

catlord posted:

This year for Free Comic Book Day there's a Phantom comic that includes a few covers, one of which is by Frank Bolle.

...the ghost who wears neatly pressed suits?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Cicadalek posted:

Did they just do that caption in MSpaint

they did, didn't they

This is the same strip where backgrounds of things are blatantly GISed things

like just a photo of a parking lot with shittily drawn characters in front of it

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Bobulus posted:

Honestly, it's not as bad as all that. The district manager is incredibly 2-dimensionally evil, but everyone else is pretty reasonable.

Honestly I read the whole thing just now and it's basically been "new guy wants to follow corporate rules and is bullied horribly" up until this one joke about him being a greedy dick

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze can't do a decent caricature.

Every time whichever one of these idiots calls himself the artist does this I extra want to smack him

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Trilobite posted:

What kills me is that Rex knows exactly who these belong to, but still says "hey, let's find out how much these are worth!" instead of returning them to their rightful owner.

What an rear end in a top hat.

Right? What kind of total jerk doesn't just return that? All "hey, I know you probably forgot all about this by now, but we found something you evidently hid in the attic when you were a kid and thought you might want it!"

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Literally my dog's life

it is uncomfortable when Ballard Street intersects with your existence

e: wrong comic

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

Hey they're just trying to respectfully observe Throwback Thursday.

Those two don't know how to do ANYTHING respectfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Aardmania posted:

Piranha Club

YOU HAVE A PHD IN PHYSICS YOU SHOULD KNOW GOD drat WELL THAT WOULD KILL EVERYONE IN THE AUDIENCE AND DESTROY THE STADIUM AND MOST OF THE SURROUNDING AREA

why is this what gets me about piranha club

• Locked thread