Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Are there other legacy strips that are so opposite to their origins as Nancy? Modern Popeye to me seems pretty loyal to the original, to the point that it feels out of date. Apartment 3G was in the same department, just in a much sadder way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

ikanreed posted:

Wait, I don't actually get what's different about Nancy. The old strip still seemed a bit like it was aimed at a saccharine tone.

In a way yes, but on a far more anarchist note. Gilchrist Nancy is all about Christian mission, Viet Nam vets, dead country singers and boobs. I haven't seen Bushmiller strips about Spanish-American War veterans but I could be ignorant.

Well, I guess this could be a Gilchrist cartoon. All it needs is some tears, a salutation to the vets and boobs.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

goatface posted:

That's an unusual position for the unicorn horn, going for the rhino position rather than the antler.

But more importantly, why are the rabbits white when it's not winter?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger

Yes.

Yes, of course.

THAT'S NOT J! IT'S CURSIVE S! IT SPELLS REGGAS

so clearly the attacker is inspired by Sagger.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Do others have a problem with xomf hosted images? They absolutely refuse to load for me.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is well too aware of its situation.

Buster's mother did it. She has a history of domestic violence.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Tiggum posted:

I swear this comic exists just to confuse me. :psyduck:

The DABDA stages:

1. Denial (panel 1)
2. Anger (panel 1)
3. Bargaining (panel 2)
4. Depression (panel 3)
5. Acceptance (panel 4)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Or just that the cartoon's name is Pros and Cons. Lyndon's patients too usually are not in need of a shrink but a good slap on the face, not because mental health problems are funny but because self-obsessed, deluded manchildren are funny.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Could it be that cartoons, comedy and humour just aren't your thing?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Welp. Turns out that googling for 'Gay and her gang' is not a such good idea... but I like this Gladys Parker's style! Although it seems like she had to inject some innuendo into all of her comic strip names... flapper fanny, really???

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix gets out before the crash.

I just realized that these are all re-runs, how come?

http://www.gocomics.com/tomthedancingbug/2014/03/28

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

treasureplane posted:

Nancy (February 24, 1943)

I didn't know Angry Birds was that old.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Thumper posted:

Are people usually nude in the public sauna in Finland? What's allowed? I can see the problem if everyone is nude and some people want to start wearing swimming suits, but if regular ones are allowed it doesn't seem like a bid deal.

In swimming pools you have to go to showers (and optionally sauna) naked to ensure hygiene. In public saunas you have to be naked as well, except maybe a hat if you don't want to scorch your scalp. Not sure why anyone would want to go to sauna not naked, anyway... ick.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 4, 2016

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

I don't think that threatening a gay seal with a blowjob is very sportsmanlike, Mymble. Let alone legal.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Today guest starring: a female juror from F Minus.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Y'know, Nancy, maybe you shouldn't take advice from a paper which for some mysterious reason always features four random cartoon panels above the 'motivation' article. Also, Gilchrist must be destroyed.

quote:

Inspector Danger

First of all, that car could have been there 18 minutes for all we know - not "less than 10 minutes". And there are plenty of legit reasons not to stay long at a gallery. Like maybe it was a delivery guy. But above all, if your lovely gallery has only three parking spots for visitors then you're so small and insignificant that there'd be nothing worth stealing from you.

quote:

Deep Dark Fears

:unsmigghh:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

How about a new strip? Last year Fingerpori artist Pertti Jarla started doing a weekly autobiographical strip Jäätävä Spede (translates literally as Freezing Pertti but also means Awkward rear end). Here's the first one:

They are all in the same fold, very un-Fingerporiesque, just awkward or annoying observations from his own life. I like them.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Jäätävä Spede

As is evident, this is the Finnish equivalent of Deep Dark Fears.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Jäätävä Spede

Headline: "Fingerpori artist stood Ville Niinistö up", and it's real (well, it probably wasn't a full page story...):
http://www.iltasanomat.fi/kuntavaalit/art-1288508430200.html

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Jäätävä Spede

There's no way the man in orange shirt isn't a a caricature of a friend of Jarla with the way he's drawn. In all likelihood the man in the flashback panel is also a caricature of a younger him. Some day I'm going to threaten Jarla with a dagger and make him confess.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

You goons are such cads. :rolleyes:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Yes, I'm quite sure there was a 15 minute period when absolutely no crimes were happening in NYC. No muggings, burglaries, murders, rapes...

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

I just love the elephant in King Aroo :3:

Jäätävä Spede

Alcohol is taxed heavily in Finland like in Sweden and Norway, not as much as in Norway though, so Norwegians in the northern towns cross over to Finland. Finns meanwhile go to their cousins in Estonia which is only a day trip away and is an EU country. You can bring alcohol for your "own use", which is defined as 110 litres beer, 90 litres wine (60 litres can be champagne), 20 litres strong wines and 10 litres strong booze. But you can bend the limits eg. bringing more wine when not bringing any beer, also if you can prove that you are having a party such as a wedding then you can bring more. Contrast to non-EU country Russia from which you can bring 16 litres of beer, 4 litres wine, plus either 2 litres strong wines and champaigne or 1 litre vodka.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 17, 2016

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Jäätävä Spede

The headline "suu vehnäselle" literally means eating a bun, it's a phrase for cheering up. The face in the title panel is a reference to an old biscuit logo which is another old phrase, "to smile like a Hanko biscuit".

"You will forget all the little nuisances if you get to taste our new cookies!"

I also saw an old and not racist bank advertisement drawn by Tove.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

treasureplane posted:

King Aroo (January 30, 1951)

For a second I was reminded that if this was a Kevin & Kell cartoon then the bird would be eating the firefly. gently caress Kevin & Kell! :mad:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

The Sphinxster posted:

Prudence has a weird character design even for Greg Evans. I'll just hope it is an homage to a lesbian he knows.

All of the new characters look weird and don't fit with the original cast.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (October 29-30, 1928)

Someone please this to me.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Manuel Calavera posted:

Dilbert

The gently caress is this art? Oh, apparently Adams is away working on a movie. For a month. So we get a month of this weirdness, four different people, one each week.

Scott Adams posted:

The reason Dilbert lacks diversity is because the market does not yet allow a white male to write humor about well-organized minority groups.

:stonklol:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Uh... what?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

• amputation of legs

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Tiggum posted:

I'm missing something here. :confused:

I was confused too but I think it's because of how pretentious it is to put only the initial of your first name on your business card?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

RevKrule posted:

If you really like the Phantom as much as I do, you'll be crushed to know Paul Ryan has died.

I can't believe this happening, he'd left Mitt alone at the helm if they'd been elected!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

treasureplane posted:

Nancy (March 31, 1943)

It's funny because Sluggo is a homeless orphan and it'll take some 30 years for his uncles to become VIET NAM VETS who can look after him!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Why the long face, Mark?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Selachian posted:

Pros and Cons

Oh god if Meehan manages to pull a whole week with the same punchline I'm going to be extatic :allears:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Tiggum posted:

So, Pandora is the CEO of a company for some reason, and she opens the box containing all the world's problems, but what is the joke?

She's not the CEO - the CEO's office is behind that door, so I guess she's a secretary or something. But the door is on the same wall as the window, so I guess the door is a death trap or it leads to a balcony.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Let me guess - Shulock thinks that the monster of Dr. Frankenstein has a name of his own?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze commits loving sacrilege.

Ban WD from this thread immediately before they rape thread saints Tove Jansson and Jackel Rod!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Strontium posted:

And now, this week's Fort Knox

So this cartoon's :wth: is the equivalent of Condorito's ¡PLOP!? Got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Aardmania posted:

Gil 10/04/15

Can't help with the speed, but

• Locked thread