Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Evil Mastermind posted:

Why would they? Water is clear, isn't it?

It's not perfectly clear, no, especially near a shore or slightly deep. After about 100 meters down the ocean has little to no sunlight penetration so "a window" isn't really the best tool for targeting weapons designed to be used exclusively under the sea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

treasureplane posted:

Nancy (February 10 & 11, 1943)

Eleven years later, this boy's obsession with size-based situational comedy completes his transmutation into a dog whose main attribute is that he is large.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

The MSJ posted:

Wait, I thought Namor don't date redheads?

A redhead gave him ich?

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

http://arstechnica.com/the-multiverse/2016/06/an-ai-wrote-this-movie-and-its-strangely-moving/

It makes about as much sense as David Lynch's Dune :v:

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Calaveron posted:

Hahah dang, Sally Forth, that's something you find out in the first couple of months of relationship, not well over a decade into a marriage.

With Hil at summer camp I think the point being made was that she was masking the depth of the problem :smith:

edit: Okay, so what the hell is happening in Sally Forth? on Ces's blog

csammis fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 8, 2016

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Some Guy TT posted:

Thread's still here huh? It's been awhile...2014 I think? Those of you who have been around that long might want to sit down. If you're drinking coffee, swallow it, and put the cup somewhere you won't knock it over.

Ready?

It's All Right, Chief Dharma

Hooray! Welcome back!

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Mercury Hat posted:

In the US they've just started rolling out chip and pin debit cards to major retailers. We're way behind Europe in both technology and infrastructure that it takes a good 5-10 seconds for each step of the process to go through. So the reader asks you to insert your card, then wait, then asks if you want cash back, then wait, then verify the amount is correct, then wait, then enter your PIN, then wait, then remove your card. Compounding the issue is some stores might ask questions in a different order or skip the cash back option or throw new questions at you like asking if you want to donate to a charity or something, so for people unused to them it's easy to yank your card out too soon.

There's also the hilarious wrinkle of all vendors being at different levels of adoption if it their chip readers work at all. Lowes has their chip reader working...if you're using a credit card. If you put in a chipped debit card then after that 5-10 second wait it tells you to remove the card and revert to sliding it with the magstripe :rolleye:

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

His Divine Shadow posted:

Bà? Is that chinese because that sounds a lot like vietnamese.

Yes, he's going for "dad", but it's also got meanings in Vietnamese according to wiktionary.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Aleph Null posted:

According to Ces, the reporter is supposed to be black and the outsourced colorists screwed it up.

Daily Colorist &*$%s Up Again (Racial Identity Edition)

Ces dared and was denied :(

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Some Guy TT posted:

It's All Right Chief Dharma

This one made me crack up. Thanks again for posting these :)

I've read the Comic Strip Megathreads since the original and I haven't really contributed much other than hosting some fonts, some edits here and there, and a truly regrettable amount of knowledge about Brooke McEldowney's fanbase. That changes now! I've built up a stash of about a hundred strips of Asaekkiga, another Korean comic. It's sort of bizarre and the punchline is usually "someone's inconveniently horny." Some of these have been posted here before but I think it's worth another run. I'm aiming for at least one a weekday until I run out.

Disclaimers: I didn't translate these and they're in no particular order - if someone has a better translation or a better source in general I'm all ears!

Asaekkiga

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Oh, and someone recently posted here asking if someone had the (Borden?) Odinsleep edit and I don't remember seeing it filled so

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Some Guy TT posted:

Ooo, do you have any of mine? I translated some for this thread for awhile, but the format was really bad and it confused people. The Korean title is 아색기가 if you want to hunt for it on their interwebs. A lot of them don't even need translation, but I can offer clarifications if necessary.

I'm sure some of them are yours! I saved pretty much every one of them when they were posted here and I got more from various .kr and .jp sites. I think we'd all like to hear your input...I've definitely got ones that are untranslated and need some Red and Rovering (for me anyway)

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Asaekkiga

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Asaekkiga

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Some Guy TT posted:

Every so often I go back and fix it, although this is obviously impossible with comics I translated for fun which were subsequently downloaded by random people

As one of those random people, if you happen to have a fixed version of something I post I'd be happy to replace it in my save folder!

quote:

It's All Right Chief Dharma

Oh my god the Chief's bow tie :3:

Asaekkiga

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
And now it's time for a dialog-less Asaekkiga!

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
An untranslated Asaekkiga!

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Asaekkiga is playing in the postseason

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Tiggum posted:

Shoe

The only way I can make sense of this joke is if they confused newspapers with TV, and that makes no sense.

Cosmo is a reporter and reporters have to go interview people which, presumably, goes better if you're wearing pants

Asaekkiga knows how to get results

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Asaekkiga :eng101:

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Asaekkiga is living on the edge!

They're really excited about watching a progress bar...right?

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Asaekkiga abandons the traditional narrative

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Asaekkiga gives us an alternate look into Chief Dharma's world

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
You're not dumb, this poo poo makes no sense at all unless Xiulan thought that Englishman Slim wanted to "diminished" or "insignificant" in front of her father...which itself makes no sense.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Work was a real bastard last week so I didn't have a chance to post daily Asaekkiga. Please accept as my abject apology one of the few recurring characters (as far as I can tell anyway), Red-Haired Anne

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Some Guy TT posted:

Possibly hopeless request. I'm looking for a comic I translated years back that involved Seek-nam (the guy whose eyes are always closed) asking for sick leave because the year's almost up and he hasn't used his days yet. I've had no luck finding it again on the Korean Internet. If someone was saving these or at least has archives it would really help. I probably posted it in late 2013. Can't remember if I was posting this comic in late 2012. Unless it was a random comic I posted out of order in which case it could be anywhere.

edit: wrong dates

BAM

For reference you posted this December 4, 2013, in Comic Strip Megathread XIV

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
My work has finally settled down and I can get back to posting!

Asaekkiga knocks one out (linked for :nws:)

http://i.imgur.com/I6H1nts.jpg

According to Google Translate the top two panels say something like "The difference between humans and animals is to use tools" :haw:

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Asaekkiga is living the dream

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Today's Asaekkiga is...I don't know what this is

Seriously that guy's a jackass. Who takes food from their kid's plate right in front of them? Mad about Stealin' Dad :mad:

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Gorilla Salad posted:

I remember the last time that was posted, I don't think we ever worked it out.

Some Guy TT posted:

Incidentally I don't have a clue what this one is supposed to be about. Maybe it's commentary on suicide?

I remembered this one too. I think the interpretation we came up with last time was that the boy has a pet demon that kills people who wrong him (though what the Hyundai worker might have done is beyond me), the family knows about it, and Stealin' Dad just pissed him off. Kind of like that Twilight Zone episode where everyone has to think happy thoughts or the psychic kid gets to punishing.

So maybe the demon is metaphorical and it's the boy who's a pusher...but that seems a little deep for Asaekkiga generally

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Asaekigga has it worse than nearly everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Happy New Year's Eve! I hope everyone has as good a night as Asaekkiga

• Locked thread