Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Wanamingo posted:

Hey, Pluggers. I haven't thought about that comic in a while, I wonder what it's up to.

Oh.

e:
What I find most remarkable about this is this one is the best strip of 2015, according to the guy that does it. This. This joke that is the equivalent of when, as small children, me and my friends used to snicker when the theme to The Flintstones said "We'll have a gay old time" is the best he's produced all loving year.

Julet Esqu posted:

Phantom Classic is currently dealing with a fellow who wrestles professionally as the Masked Marvel. He's been disgruntled lately because nobody recognizes him due to the mask. His desire for attention has caused him to act out inappropriately multiple times in public, prompting Kit "The Phantom" Walker to punch him out twice in as many days. The Marvel's manager now wants Walker to wrestle in Marvel's place.

Sure, he'll be wearing a mask, but is no one supposed to notice he's a full head shorter and 25 lbs lighter than the Masked Marvel?

F Minus is a gag-a-day one panel that I think is good for a chuckle more often than not. I think it is usually pretty clever at least, and the art is simple but really effective at conveying what he wants, especially facial expressions.

Mary Worth is a wish-fulfillment strip for old ladies who think young people's problems would all be solved if they just respected and listened to their elders. The current storyline is Mary has traveled across the country to visit a little girl that she is not related to and barely knows but with whom she has some kind of weird and creepy relationship. The girl's parents were apparently fine with having this virtual stranger come and stay with them for an indeterminate amount of time that has lasted throughout the busy holiday season.

Also the little girl is psychic, and will one day save the world or something thanks to Mary's support, which is better than the support she gets from her parents, who are horndogs that are constantly loving and don't understand their daughter's potential.

Rex Morgan MD is a strip about a little girl named Sarah who is all-powerful and holds her family hostage with her powers. Recently, a male sibling was sired (Micheal), and it is unknown what kind of competition this will bring to her.

The Morgan clan is fairly wealthy despite Rex seeing perhaps 2 patients a day and June doing God knows what she does, but that doesn't matter, because they get everything for free from rich friends whose paths they frequently cross and who fall under the spell of Sarah.

They are just starting a storyline about Sarah visiting the headmaster of her new school, who will be so impressed with the brilliant and talented Sarah that she will be skipping 2 grades and be allowed to take only the classes she wants.

Secret Agent X-9 is about a secret agent, code named X-9. It's a vintage strip from the 30s they started posting on CK about 7-8 months ago because it won some March Madness-style tournament with other strips for fan votes to be re-run, or something like that. Right now we're at July 1936. While it hasn't had a storyline so far that has knocked me out of my socks, it occasionally has some well-drawn action, and the pace isn't bad most of the time.

Right now he's undercover in Florida (I think?) as a shady beach bum, looking into a ring that smuggles Asians in for cheap/slave labor.

Apartment 3-G was cancelled a couple months back, and then a little while later they started running the vintage strips, starting with 1970 (we are now in February of that year). It's about 3 young women, Margo, LuAnn, and Tommie, living together in NYC. Right now if I have this right there is some drunk girl who their friend Web has gotten mixed up with and she is annoying him but won't leave him alone. She's now conned her way into his apartment by telling the superintendent she's his sister, because in the 70s you could do that easily. Web is also somehow screwing over Margo's boss in some kind of merger of their agencies or something, and he's also moving on LuAnn even though Margo was interested in him.

I think that's what's happening anyways. I could be mixing up some characters. They kind of just threw us into the middle of this storyline.

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jan 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Manuel Calavera posted:

Foob, better known as For Better or For Worse by Lynn Johnston, ran from 1979 to 2008, and rebooted in 2010 as new "reruns", wherein Lynn is redrawing parts of the story and rewriting some things. Not that it's helping, she's still kind of nutty. Foob was a perjorative used in one of the later strips, and the name stuck.
If I remember right, they're just straight reruns now, with no changes from Lynn anymore.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Did they rip the store out of the ground and drop it in that neighborhood?
The store has no floor so that when hipsters go in they fall into the void and are never heard from again.

F Minus

The downfall of America.

Mary Worth

Old, alone, and living vicariously through the lives of others?

Rex Morgan MD

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

"Don't drink, don't smoke. What do you do?"

Edit: Have a Red and Rover because I got beat twice.

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jan 3, 2016

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger

That poor bartender.
Inspector Danger seems like a very petty and jealous man.

Selachian posted:

And since I rather liked it when it was posted here...

Pros and Cons
Yes! I love Pros and Cons!

Yesterday I read the comics out loud to a 4 year old. It's been a long time since I read the comics from the paper all the way through them like that, and I was struck by how truly boring they really were. This thread is pretty entertaining, but I guess that's because we skip a lot of the crap like Sherman's Lagoon and Blondie and all those strips that are really no more than filler.

Like 75% of them (of the ones that are supposed to be funny, at least) were New Year's resolutions "jokes," FYI.

F Minus

Mary Worth

George Micheal has hit hard times.

Rex Morgan MD

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

Look it was a mutual thing, OK?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Indolent Bastard posted:

Intelligent Life

Look at this guy, trying to include his work friend in personal activities that he finds enjoyable. What a jerk!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze forgot to tell a joke.

Look at this. Is this woman walking or standing? Her torso makes me think standing, but her legs make me think walking. But if she's walking by, is this guy just talking to nothing while people wander around the voidoffice? There is nothing redeemable about this comic.

F Minus

Mary Worth

"Duh! What are you, some kind of moron?"

"Look just leave the dollar and go."

Rex Morgan MD

Secret Agent X-9

"I'm not sure I can trust you."
"Come OONNNN, please?"
"Oh, all right. Here's a description of our highly illegal operation."

At least they're not wearing robes and rice hats with long hair braids down their back.

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Alterian posted:

In my head Patrick Warburton as David Puddy does his voice.
Same. For me he also is the voice of Rip Haywire and the cop from Pros and Cons. Probably others too. I think I just love Patrick Warburton.

SomeMathGuy posted:

Mark Trail grins in the face of death

"It's really more of a 'hollow.'"

F Minus

Space: The Boring Frontier

Mary Worth

Probably wrong prediction: Olive's father will get him a job in the cafeteria of his hospital.

Rex Morgan MD

"Not Michael either. But Fredo--I don't give a gently caress what you do with him."

Secret Agent X-9

"NEXT...WHAT"

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I would order that book he's advertising and scan it like I did with the Compu-Toon book about airports but not for $15.

EasyEW posted:

Let's not forget that Bushmiller's Nancy existed mostly in a bubble apart from the pop culture of the outside world. Gilchrist, on the other hand, has wasted entire weeks pandering to his Baby Boomer demo by doing nothing but drawing or namechecking people, characters, and other stuff they remember. If a Bushmiller Nancy strip exists where the "punchline" was HERE'S THAT THING YOU USED TO LIKE!, I've never seen it. That alone makes the classic era infinitely less insufferable.

e: Okay, I found one. And it's still apples and oranges.

I think the difference with this one and Gilchrist-Nancy is it's less a nostalgia trip than a joke about kids not getting things happened before they were around. Like I was at my sister's and my niece and nephew were watching a "new" Scooby-Doo they had never seen. It was of course one from the 70s or whenever, so to me that they thought it was actually new was pretty funny.

Slammy posted:

Wee Pals

I just really liked this one.

F Minus

Mary Worth

What the gently caress did they do to give him hope?

Rex Morgan MD

No one has ever said that. Also, man look at how Irish that guy is.

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

LordPants posted:

Goddamn if Agent X-9 isn't one of my favorite strips. :shrug:
I'm glad someone likes it! I've never been sure if anyone reads it!

Of course today being Sunday I don't have one.

F minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Selachian posted:

eh, Gilchrist didn't do Lemmy. I think Bowie is safe from getting the weepy Fritzi treatment.
Well, since there's generally a 2-week lead time for comics, it's still possible a Lemmy strip is in the works. However, I think a Bowie strip is far more likely than a Lemmy anyways, because he was much more well-known to the mainstream.

I feel pretty confident predicting there will be a Bowie tribute in Nancy.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Intelligent Life

I wonder if he realizes he captured how lame this strip is perfectly with that fake strip. Probably not.

F Minus is in denial about aging

Mary Worth

"Now that we gave that homeless guy a dollar, let's spend hundreds of times that on material things we don't need! Don't worry about him, his faith will help him. We've done our part."

Rex Morgan MD

"Your former nanny says you're 'smart as the dickens' and that's good enough for me!"

You know I've come to really dislike Sarah. Like I'm not sure it's healthy for me to dislike a fictional little girl as much as I do her.

Secret Agent X-9

Well she can't be a cop because it's the 1930s, so I'm going to guess these guys somehow killed her father or brother and she's out to bring them down.

Apartment 3-G

Looks like the claws may come out tomorrow.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Indolent Bastard posted:

Intelligent Life

What kind of room are they in? Is he outside a window?

F Minus Is a little on the nose today.

Mary Worth

Come on, Mary! Let her buy you a decorative Easter egg, or what appears to be an electric fan. These are common items in store windows in NYC. Really gets the crowds in.

Rex Morgan MD

And now Sarah looks stoned.

Secret Agent X-9

Johnny Walker posted:

Well she can't be a cop because it's the 1930s, so I'm going to guess these guys somehow killed her father or brother and she's out to bring them down.
Sorta called it.

Apartment 3-G is a bit racy

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Slammy posted:

Sick, Sick, Sick (click for big)

Well this was a weird one so I tried to look it up. It appears to be referencing a Mary Worth storyline from 1958 and probably into 1959 (which I think is the date on the comic here), but I can't get to see any old newspaper pages to find out what the story is all about. The strike itself appears to have been called by the Newspaper and Mail Delivery Union in December '58 for more pay, and went on quite a while--like one of the longest running of its kind in history up to then. It was a big deal in NYC at the time. Haven't found much more detail about it so far. I don't even know quite how long it lasted. Kind of neat though.

Edit: Looks like it lasted 19 days. A couple years later, there was another in 1962-63 that lasted 114 days!

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jan 13, 2016

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Amazon's Minority Report

Mary Worth

Mary arrived at Olive's front door on the 16th of November, nearly two full months ago. Since then, NOTHING HAS HAPPENED. No conflict, no problems. Nothing. Why hasn't she just gone home yet? How loving long are these people going to let her stay at their apartment? I assume they will do something about this homeless guy but I wish they'd just get to it.

Rex Morgan MD

And then there's this loving poo poo. God drat I'm mad about comics! :argh:

Secret Agent X-9

We were talking about voices a while back, and I just realized that I always hear X-9 as the voice of that guy from This Island Earth, or maybe the impersonation of him from MST3K the movie.

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Slammy posted:

I felt obligated to look this up - the Sick, Sick Sick ran on December 31, 1958.

Here's the Mary Worth storyline, starting December 2, 1958. Sorry for the image dump, and forgive the quality, some were vertical, some horizontal, and I did my best. Also, some dates are missing. Mary did her meddling duty, but that strike in NYC must have sucked.

Mary Worth (December 2, 1958 to December 28, 1958)
Wow! Thanks for finding that. All the sites I found where it looked like I could look at scans of old papers had a paywall. An interesting story. It's nice to see some Classic Mary Worth.

F Minus

I know Carrillo's just being silly here, but in a way this is kind of sweet.

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

Peter Parker is happy to have Sarah at his school.

Secret Agent X-9

Well that's a left and not a right, and the wallet falling out is a bit silly, but I'll forgive all that because I think we're in for a good fight scene.

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

BigDave posted:

Wow, Rose is Rose has dramatically improved as of late.
I was going to say something about it, but then I realized I'd be perfectly happy about not seeing Rose is Rose.

treasureplane posted:

Nancy (February 5, 1943)

I like how the dog doesn't really understand what's happening, but he has to go along with it anyways for some reason.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Do corporations pay for product placement in comic strips?

Also, while that Olive is goofy: , Mary has gone full He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named: .

Rex Morgan MD

Oh come on at least give her a test.

Secret Agent X-9

it ended a little too quickly for me, but I think those are some nice panels.

Apartment 3-G

LuAnn's ruined Web's chances of getting with both of them.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Achernar posted:

So what happens if a scout can't meet quota? Are they drummed out of the Girl Scouts?
They get bumped down to Brownie.

Julet Esqu posted:

Radio Patrol

"Bulgy" can't get out of the room because "Bulgy" is dead from severe neck injuries.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

That's a great Rex face there. Even he doesn't buy this.

Secret Agent X-9

"Martian Gang" huh? Might be interesting. We'll find out!

Apartment 3-G

Do they all like live in the same room?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Julet Esqu posted:

Big Ben Bolt

I find the text in Sunday Bolt to be juuuuuust fuzzy enough to be pretty hard to read. It takes some real dedication. But maybe that's just me. :corsair:
It seems a little blurry. It's really most problematic with the bolded words for me.

F Minus

Monday's not up yet, which is unusual for F Minus. I'll try to remember to post it.

Mary Worth

NOT creepy. Not at all.

Mary and Olive talk as they repair the placemat they compulsively tore apart due to nervous energy.

Rex Morgan MD

Thank you, Dr. Nigma!

This could be the way it is for every family, if only those libs allowed school vouchers.

Secret Agent X-9

Well this is a little embarrassing. I seriously misread the "Coming Up" box from the other day to say "Martian Gang" when it is actually the much less interesting plain old "Martin Gang." I apologize for the misunderstanding. Still might be a good story. I guess that's supposed to be J. Edgar Hoover?

Apartment 3-G

Is it just me or does Web look like a big ole dumb guy?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

kith_groupie posted:

I missed most of the 2015 thread. How long has Mary Worth been just pleasant stories for the heavily sedated? I remember there used to be conflict, even if it was stupid poo poo like her gentleman-friend working in Cambodia for six weeks or pushy ice skater dad.

Also the idea of a girl wanting a watch over all the other stuff they'd have at a department store is dumb as hell and I'm sure it's crafted to soothe the blue hairs.
This particular storyline appears to be nothing but fantasy fulfillment for old ladies, but usually there's at least some kind of conflict or issue. Although thinking back there hasn't been a real meaty one in a while. I mean Olive's doctor last year had an addiction thing and was creepy in some way, but they never actually had him do anything. The drug addict Tommy came back, but again not much happened there. He got a job and there's a pretty girl that works there and they left it at that.

I hope this story ends soon and we get a good one. One on par with that drunk woman from a couple years ago would be awesome.

Ms Boods posted:

I look forward to the storyline where this imp from hell is bullied by the second graders, and the last panel is Rex sat silent, gazing into the distance, satisfied smile on his mug.

Twisted sentiment aside, it's been like 150 years since I was in the first and second grades; aside from her fantastic artistic skillz, what actual learned skills should a first grader have at the end of that year in order to advance to the second grade? Reading level, maths -- not to mention there's a heck of a different between a 6 year old and a 7 year old socially, The adults may be wowed by her precocious ways, but I can't imagine the other kids being impressed with her (although this being Rex Morgan, she'll probably be elected school president.

I'm putting way too much thought into this strip :smith:
Sarah has handled bullies before (she did it at the museum) and she does so by slamming them verbally with her superior intellect.

She's supposedly advanced enough in her reading and all that, although no one has actually tested her as far as I know. Realistically this skipping a grade thing could cause issues for the kid but in this strip there all gonna love her except maybe one. She will win that one over and they will become bestest buddies in the whole world.

I know way too much about the strips I post. Man, you follow this thread for a few years and you eventually know a lot of poo poo about comic strips.

RandomFerret posted:

Hell with that, it's our new gang tag.
I could go for this.

F Minus

This is a joke I will likely one day make in real life.

Mary Worth

Some of you might remember the intense cake-moving week a few years back. That was some good MW action.

Rex Morgan MD

But his eyes are closed...or are they...

Secret Agent X-9

"One from DeVry!"

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

See that cake decorating? Those kinds of skills are why he's a big time New York City cake decorator.

Rex Morgan MD

Secret Agent X-9

Ohhhh well well well the "FBI" ooooooo.

Apartment 3-G

Overnight, Margo killed two rival gang members.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

Wow. Ew. Ugh. I have so many unpleasant feelings from this I am having trouble expressing them.

Edit: Olive's face does a pretty good job.

Rex Morgan MD

"Ground Coffee" is code for weed.

Secret Agent X-9

It's the hydrochloric chemical test. He just said it, narrator. Try to pay better attention.

Apartment 3-G

BRRRRP

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I literally laughed out loud at this.

F Minus

That is a fun fact.

Mary Worth

I guess they didn't have room for the creepy "Not as much as I love you, Mary!" thought balloon today.

Rex Morgan MD

Secret Agent X-9

The "answer" is "no."

Apartment 3-G

"I'm sure it can wait! After all, if it were important, they wouldn't have given the task to a woman!"

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

"Poor kids, about to die horribly. Oh well what can you do?"
You win some, you lose some. No sense crying over spilt milk.

F Minus

Mary Worth

"Much like I'd like to restrain Mary in my basement! Oh you must be mine, Mary!"

Trilobite posted:

Man, it really feels like this has been the longest stretch of Rex Morgan, MD strips that we've seen where there hasn't even been so much as a hint of turmoil, conflict, or mild inconvenience for them.
It has been on a long, slow run, hasn't it? There have been some hiccups with minor characters--the chauffeur assaulting a teenager on school property while armed, a bully on a class trip at the museum, stuff like that--but I bet the last major one was that old acquaintance of Rex who was shot in the head with a nail gun by his wife. That was probably a good two years ago.

And it continues...

Rex Morgan MD

June begins her transformation into Torgo.

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

Oh, that Web! Don't trust him, Margo! You can do better!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Reminded me of this scene from Roxanne from way back.

Mary Worth

Getting a little close there, John Dill. Mary looks quite uncomfortable.

Rex Morgan MD

I guess it's still possible she'll hook up with the chauffeur, but I doubt that's where this is heading.

Edit:

RandomFerret posted:

Lost Side of Suburbia

Okay, that ending was abrupt, but I think it fits. I'll be starting a new strip tomorrow. See you all then!
That's not funny!

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 24, 2016

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Evil Mastermind posted:

I don't know what it is, but the art in this Mark Trail story is really unsettling. It's probably just me, but it feels like the kind of art you see in an indie self-published horror comic book from the 90's.
The cave scientist guy reminds me of some other character from somewhere else but I can't put my finger on it. I want to say someone from King of the Hill. Maybe that's just what the style reminds me of.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Yes. Another time. When you have traveled clear across the country again. To visit a child you are not related to.

I suspect one of the reasons Mary flew 3000 miles to visit NYC is to go out of her way to once more shoot down John Dill.

Rex Morgan MD

I guess Mr Avery's impotent? I look forward to the frank and open fertility discussion that is apparently coming this week in RMMD.

Secret Agent X-9

I'm not sure if that's a small adult or a child.

Apartment 3-G

I bet Web hit on that waitress while Margo was in the bathroom too.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

One thing I like about Sally Forth is that even though the characters don't age, Ces doesn't take the lazy man's way out in regards to their history. When Sally Forth first started in... what, the 90's? Anyway, it would have made sense for this 90's couple with a preteen kid to have gone to college in the 70's or thereabouts. But now a couple of decades have rolled by and it makes more sense chronologically for the Forths to have gone to college in the 90's. And Ces is cool with making that happen. It's silly how rare that is in comics. Looking at you, Curtis's rap-music-hating dad.
Sally Forth started in the early 80s, so they probably would have been hippies in a flashback back then and it would likely have been awful. But it was a very different strip back then, if I remember right. Marciuliano took it in a different direction than what it was originally. I was just a kid but I think it was more work-focused and office-y.

But gently caress all that, because the reason I'm quoting this is with the way these two strips lined up I pictured a Sally Forth flashback featuring a love triangle with Ted and Namor battling for Sally in college and drat wouldn't that be awesome?

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

"Vee haff vays of making you pregnant."

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 26, 2016

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

This happens to me when reading news articles sometimes. I can't decide if it's poor writing on the journalist's part and they didn't introduce the person well enough before they started referring to them just by their last name, or if I'm losing my memory.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Intelligent Life

I always thought part of the point of having candy on your desk was so that people would come around and hang out and chat a little every once in a while. It's like a signal of friendliness and approachability in the office.

In other words, don't put out candy if you don't want people around you.

F Minus

Mary Worth

"No, I mean he'll be dead."

Rex Morgan MD

Whew! For a second there I thought none of the Morgans would have anything done for them by someone else this week.

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

That really only will happen with onions. Potatoes will sprout a little but I don't think they'll grow much without water.

Mary Worth

NEXT: WHERE!

Rex Morgan MD

Don't assistants do things like approve refills and stuff?

Secret Agent X-9

Women want him! Men vaguely recognize him!

Apartment 3-G

I don't really know what's going on here, but if he's getting a steak lunch with this guy he's got whatever this business thing he's doing is in the bag. That's the way it was.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

butt dickus posted:

Hahhaha are you loving kidding me.
Hey, man, it's cool, chill.

Aardmania posted:

Judge Parker

So it smells just like a lawyer's office! :rimshot:
What are they talking about?

F Minus

I knew it!

Slammy posted:

And this is so boring! I miss Angry Mary. Drama! Screaming! Italian-American slang!

Sorry, a lot of opinions today. On to comics!
To be fair, the Aldo Kelrast storyline is one for the record books. Still though you'd think they'd find a way to make more stories that are between absolutely boring and insanely brilliant.

Mary Worth

Well that's a weird-rear end place.

Rex Morgan MD

"You made me put down my phone for this?"

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I remembered some of that--the pot farm storyline in particular, but yeah I didn't know anything about the home office. I stopped reading JP for a while there so maybe I missed it. All I remembered was that woman building a factory out of storage containers or something? The dead rat and manure stink didn't fit with that, at least not as far as I could see.

Slammy posted:

You're wonderful. You really are.

I'm posting it. It's fun. Gladys grew up a few miles from where I did, and had quite a career:

Gay and Her Gang (1930)

It's kind of neat just to see work from a woman cartoonist from back then.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Next week, Mary fondly remembers her stripper days.

Rex Morgan MD

Oh, who wouldn't love you, princess?

Secret Agent X-9

Maybe because creepy guys she just met follow her home and stalk her?

Apartment 3-G

Is he grabbing Web's rear end? The seduction begins!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Slammy posted:

Agreed - how many comics made by women do we post, even today?
Karen Moy writes Mary Worth, and Margaret Shulock used to write A3G.

Slammy posted:

Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

I wonder who the first one was directed at, if anyone in particular. I bet it might have been easier back then to rip off comics between one city and another.

The second one is kind of disturbing. Dreams of the Huffing Fiend.
LAPTOP

F Minus

And yet, she's still cold.

Mary Worth

Always remember to cliche your bromides and platitudes!

Rex Morgan MD

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Forktoss posted:

Magic Mary XXL

Better clean out my search history now I guess, thanks Mary
Haha this is great! I wish I could think of these edits for MW.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Oh for the love of God how long is this going to go on?

Rex Morgan MD

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Allen Wren posted:

I seriously think everyone who puts their feet up on the dash is going to die like this eventually. Also, motorcyclists who aren't ATGATT are going to be the worst kind of road pizza.

Yes, I'm a nervous person by nature. Shut up.
The feet on the dash thing has been a longtime fear of mine and DDF really hit home with this one and I'm glad I'm not alone. But the motorcycle thing drives me nuts. In the summer when I see people speeding around the DC beltway wearing shorts, short sleeves, and flip-flops on a motorcycle weaving in between cars I just shake my head and hope they don't lose it right in front of me so I'm the one that smears them all over the road.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Why does she hope she doesn't need help skating? That's a weird thing to wish for.

Rex Morgan MD

Rex hears Sarah, and he tries to resist, but he cannot. He must obey.

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

Mwah-ha-ha-ha-ha.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Then Namor plugs his "Sushimania" restuarant.

F Minus

At an office I worked in there were little windows between cube walls and the way they were arranged with where the PC went and all you had no choice but to look directly at the person across from your. Luckily you kind of got used to having someone in your line of sight so you sort of tuned them our and my cube neighbor and I got along pretty well also but I would have hated to have had some of my other coworkers there. It would have been hard to try to come up with a solution to blocking that window so you don't have to deal with them without appearing to be saying "gently caress you" passive-aggressively.

Mary Worth

Oh thank God I don't think I could have taken much more of the tension of the "Can Mary still ice skate" story arc.

Rex Morgan MD

I'm sure that mural of whales in the basement will be a huge selling point, too. Knowing this strip the guy who painted it is now a famous artist and it's worth a fortune by itself.

Secret Agent X-9

"Guilty until prove innocent" is probably a terribly inefficient way of investigating crime anywhere else but in the X-9 world.

Apartment 3-G

"Eeeeexcellent."
"What was that?"
"Nothing!"

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

A random one from the Jackelrod era. There was a good edit featuring this one but I can't find it. Someone here probably remembers what I'm talking about.

And one of my favorite MT edits that I could find.

F Minus

That clown looked familiar so I looked it up and found this:

http://www.spreadthefword.com/2009/08/tea-time-clown-tattoo.html

I think we've seen it since but that clown goes way back.

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

You have to be loving kidding me.

Secret Agent X-9

"Um, sir? Those are panties."

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

This was precisely the first thing I thought of.

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts: Year Four (March 18-21, 1954)

I love this one.

F Minus

I imagine the smell isn't so great either.

Not sure why they ran a rerun today.

Edit: Hey wait these are both reruns. How long have I been posting reruns?

Mary Worth

Some evil Italian stereotype is amused by Olive's fall.

Rex Morgan MD

Secret Agent X-9

I worked in a grocery store and it's true: women go crazy for the guys with grocery-related skills.

Apartment 3-G

At what point in 3-G's run did the men stop treating the women like children?

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Feb 6, 2016

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

It's like she could see into the future and made a comic strip thread edit in advance.

SuperKlaus posted:

I want to give continued props to most every comic printed before about 1970, but particular thumbs-up for newcomer Gay and her Gang and good ol' Feiffer. Please keep posting them. Gay is well-drawn and funny - this is what 9CL desperately wishes it actually were. Being drawn by a woman probably helps, huh? I can't tell you just how skeeved I felt when I learned "Brooke Eldowney" was a man. And Feiffer shows us (mostly) timeless commentary.

I will also post the obligatory hate for Working Daze and wish that it would get its webcomic rear end out of the thread. But more important is that Gay and Feiffer are good.
I have to say it's downright spooky how relevant Feiffer often is still today.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus returns with new material, and it's good.

Mary Worth

:smug:

Rex Morgan MD

"A dose of Rex Morgan" sounds awfully dirty.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger

Batteries? The gently caress are those? Book him, Alfie!
To join people who are saying how they got this ID wrong, I thought it would be a single candle wouldn't last that long.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Special guest start Ernest Borgnine as Mary Worth in the second panel.

Rex Morgan MD

Through the crack in the door, a little girl watches, her face blank until slowly a creepy smile forms.

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

That Web is a cad, I say!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

Mary did not expect to have to justify her terrible analogy.

Rex Morgan MD

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Is "ATISHOO" how they spell the sneeze sound in Finland?

F Minus

Mary Worth

I don't understand why this conversation is happening. She just out of the blue started lecturing Olive about self-control. Olive doesn't do poo poo.

Rex Morgan MD

"Oh there's the doorbell! Let's see who it is!"
"Hello I'm a billionaire and was just passing by and I love this house. This may sound odd but would you like to trade this house for my mansion closer to the center of town? I will pay moving expenses and taxes and all that stuff."
"Okay!"
"Your daughter sure is special!"

~END~

Secret Agent X-9

It's always thrilling when men in suits look for files.

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

LordPants posted:

Captain Midnight (1943)

Uhhh so it turns out that he's actually American I think, he just works in Canada. Who knows. Who cares.
What makes you say American? I was thinking British, on account of the "Sir" part of his name.

F Minus

Mary Worth

"Freedom is bad for people." --Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

Well you could start seeing more than one patient every month or so.

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Manuel Calavera posted:

Compu-Toon

I don't know that I've ever seen a story arc in Compu-Toon.

F Minus

Score!

My Lovely Horse posted:

WHERE THE gently caress, IF ANYWHERE, IS THIS ARC GOING
Every day I ask myself this. Every single day. I keep thinking it will end, but it does not.

This MW-Olive story goes back to before Thanksgiving, by the way. In that time, nothing has happened. They've seen some sites in NYC, Mary has told Olive some weird platitudes without any real reason provided by the context, Olive's parents can't keep their hands off each other, and they met a homeless guy and visited that baker that's pining for Mary despite no contact for a couple years now.

Without further ado, Mary Worth

Morbius!

Rex Morgan MD

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

Web's setting himself up for like 3 comeuppances.

• Locked thread