Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Zephro posted:

Vegemite, best yeast-derived spreadable condiment

:frogout: I've had that stuff before, it's no Marmite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Hardly seems like the Beeb put a gun to his head and forced him to go through with it to me. But hell, the narrative has already been established

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

Well if you read said deleted blog post, he was 'considering resigning' and 'laura sealed the deal'

wait, are you really saying that the BBC convinced a member of the shadow cabinet to resign? Is this what you're really saying? And you actually believe that? I have to triple ask this

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

No its not, he was always resigning, but he was never going to do it in such a public way. Not this no name juniour minister. He was offered something to do that live on air.

see, I don't see that as an actual issue. It's people pushing this agenda that the BBC pushed him to do it. It all feels very 'In The Loop'

Spangly A posted:

how do people like you think when you read stuff like this? Is it a straight up disbelief in anything you don't want to hear, or is there a period of cognitive dissonance leading to rationalisations like this?

so you're saying I should take the word of everything that's written as gospel, right? Got it

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

Any chance she could try this with Corbyn?

depends if he's thinking of resigning. Maybe they could get Dimbleby or Vine to ask him

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

That's what the article says happened, so I'm not sure what the problem is. This isn't something people have inferred, the BBC wrote it down and published it on their website (then took it down when they realized how bad it looked).

to me, anyway, it looks poorly worded. How the gently caress anyone with a background in journalism could even read that, see what it's implying and say "yep, that's fine" is beyond me. But then again, we live in a world with The Sun and The Mail so anything loving goes

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Oberleutnant posted:

Well, you're an idiot. Sorry.

oh come on, he was always going to be interviewed when he resigned, either in the written press or on TV

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

Well you imply that you outright disagree with his assessment. If this is not based on what IS written then it's based on what isn't? How does one get so sure about the absence of fact? "I don't believe what is written" should not become it's own proof.

I don't necessarily disagree with his assessment, in fact he's probably more than likely correct. But if anything the last decade or so has taught me to treat everything with a degree of skepticism. Of course it turns out that this political editor at the BBC did in fact push him to resign, I'll happily eat my words

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

The entire situation has an air of someone upstairs seeing it and hitting the panic button. The blog post started the fire, but removing it? That fanned it into the inferno they have now.

if they'd left the blog post where it was, they would have had to come out and actually defend it presumably in front of a parliamentary committee no?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Gonzo McFee posted:

Aye, that's how they did it. And then the PI they hired to do it was dumb enough to delete messages after the voicemail reached max.

didn't they do that with Millie Dowler's phone, and that's why her parents thought she was still alive

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

Well its not like they can pretend it didnt happen now can they?

I wasn't terribly sure on procedure, because I'm pretty sure this has never happened before

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

If there's one thing the last 24 hours have told me, it's that if the anti-Corbyn "anonymous sources" in the Labour party actually supported Jezza and went after the Tories, they could actually wreck the government

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

They'd have to find a paper that would run it though.

I guess the Mail if they restricted it to Dave's proclivities.

this is a good point, but whoever these people are floating these stories are really loving good at their jobs but aiming at the wrong people....

thespaceinvader posted:

Lol, the press only bother printing it because they want to gently caress Corbs.

gently caress

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

The people that are doing this consider their job to be, currently, screwing with the democratically elected leader of their own party because they think (probably quite correctly) that he threatens their future in said jobs.

and yet undermining him to the point where Labour approaches some sort of Lib Dem 2015 election slaughter is going to threaten their jobs too? Unless they're trying to force another leadership election before the next general election which would make Labour look even more unsuitable for government... wait, what the gently caress?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

They are not rational about it can are not particularly thinking long-term, AFAICT.

The sum total of their long term thought seems to be 'if we can get rid of Corbyn and find someone ELECTABLE then we can win'.

They are loving idiots and the country desperately needs them to pull their loving heads out of their arses and start acting like adults.

precisely. The Tories have offered up two gilted edged golden opportunities this week alone in Cameron's wage inequality gaffe and Mindless Drug Hoover's backhanded admission that his plan of austerity still isn't working and all we're talking about is a goddamn reshuffle and the Beeb

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

just came across this on twitter

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

remember this? Danczuk got paid five grand for it apparently

ShaneMacGowansTeeth fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 9, 2016

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

Umm he broke that silence on BBC Newsnight last week scoop harder Sun.

yeah, it's an old screenshot from last weekend which I never noticed when I posted it. I added in the link to the article in my original (poo poo) post

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Gonzo McFee posted:

I'm drunk, horny and alone all the time and I've never propositioned a 17 year old.

not even when you were 17?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Gonzo McFee posted:

I didn't start drinking until I was 18.

but.... you're Scottish?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

feedmegin posted:

Eh, I knew someone who died recently of cancer. Apart from not being able to get around easily and being bald she was fine 18 months before she died, even about 3 months before she died; it's only once it got to her brain that she really went downhill, then it was pretty fast.

yeah, my granddad got terminal throat cancer in November 2006 and it was only in October that he started looking bad, and he was gone in December. Cancer is the loving worst

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Another member of the Shadow Cabinet resigns, this time the Shadow Attorney General Catherine McKinnel

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Cerv posted:

"Another" is an odd way to spell "first".
Worrying if this marks an escalation in that regard.

Well the link says she's "the fourth to quit since the front bench since the reshuffle" which is what I was referring to

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

RobotNinjaHornets posted:

loving hell. Guess I'm still living with my parents for the foreseeable future

I dread to think how much my rent's going to go up by next year (currently £430 a month all bills in bedsit in a shared house)

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

What is Corbyn's drug policy? I know he was busy not even smoking weed while Cameron was railing lines and pigs, but I'd hope it's something reasonable and evidence based, like "addiction is harmful, but the causes are rooted in poverty and the war on drugs has done little to stop it. I will ensure that the conditions that foment ‎addiction are tackled and establish healthcare solutions to problematic drug use."

Maybe I'm way off, but I'm guessing at least it's not going to be "string them all up, they're dirty and poor."

he should just answer "well, you see America's drug policy? The war on drugs? Not that"

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

JFairfax posted:

America is legalizing weed on a state by state basis

sorry, forgot that weed was the only drug

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

the NHS IT fiasco cost me my old job at Fujitsu and even though that ended 7 years ago gently caress me am I still bitter about it

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

The way I remember the NHS IT contract being described to us at Fujitsu (before it all went to poo poo) was that the government at the time decided to split the UK into four clusters and tender each cluster out individually. Even back then, I thought that was a loving stupid idea

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Jose posted:

you need to change your name seeing as how shane macgowan has had his teeth fixed

ShaneMacgowansNewTeeth doesn't fit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/693193190493536256

• Locked thread