Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Blue Star Error posted:

I disagree with 3 of the 12 points in the OP but I'll never reveal which ones

I disagree with 8, trans people can be men in dresses if they want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Guavanaut posted:

What's the best way of making non-voters vote other than Australian-style mandatory voting? Lower the age to 16 so that someone's first election can be done as part of school activities rather than as a theoretical exercise?

Assuming you mean general elections this would only work for one year out of every five.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Pissflaps posted:

I've got a 100% perfect driving record.

Tacit admission from Flaps that he regularly kills on bad intel and starts wars without asking. I'm disappointed but not surprised.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Kegluneq posted:

Would the thread accept a self-determination poll held amongst Israeli settlers in illegal settlements in Palestine?

I didn't realise Falklanders were bulldozing Argentinian homes.

Are the penguins the Palestinians in this analogy?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Kegluneq posted:

A poll held exclusively among current residents is a bit meaningless from Argentina's perspective. What exactly does it prove? That people living there don't want to move? It's not the only basis for accepting British sovereignty so I don't see why it's some amazing gotcha.

See also: the Crimean referendum.

Which Argentinians are being displaced and driven from their homes?

Is it the penguins?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Kegluneq posted:

I'm not trying to draw a direct equivalence here, I'm more opposed to the idea of unilateral self-determination referendums being held as binding.

If Palestine were an uninhabited rock I'd be okay with Israeli settlements there tbh

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Coohoolin posted:

The 1707 treaty of union between Scotland and England created the United Kingdom and had a whole bunch of rules, like don't tax people in Scotland differently than in England (technically the poll tax wasn't allowed) and the principle Scotland and England being equal members of a union.

A few pages back but this rule hasn't applied since the late 90s with the introduction of the Scottish Variable Rate. It'll be interesting to see what happens if it's actually used following the implementation of the latest round of devolved powers.

Also, never vote for George Galloway. Even if it's to get him out of the Big Brother house.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Guavanaut posted:

Orthodox game theorists were generally huge :spergin:s who didn't understand human interaction very well or wanted to stick it all into numbered boxes. In real human interaction there's room for a lot more nuance, brinkmanship, disobedience of orders, etc. that still have MAD working.

Otoh any reality where MAD doesn't work is one where we're not having this discussion, so it seems that ex post facto discussions of MAD will always show it working.

Stanislav Petrov disobeying orders is probably the only reason we didn't end up with a US / Russia nuclear exchange in the early 80s.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

OrthoTrot posted:

Considering one of the examples quoted is that MP that got stabbed at a surgery I'm not sure that all of these can be filed under "healthy public accountability".

Yeah for all that we criticise MPs it's basically the last job in the world I'd want to do. Between party politics and the court of public opinion plus mild threat of actual bodily harm it sounds horrific.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Pissflaps posted:

Was anyone in this thread part of this protest in Newcastle today?

I took the dog for a walk round Weetslade colliery.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

JFairfax posted:

I bet those newcastle fascists were all very happy when Faustino Asprilla was playing for them.

They might not even be from here, mates on FB were saying they came in on the train. Also that someone threw a steak bake at them.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Fans posted:

I love it when the newspapers decide to make up news with a "Well they could do this" story.

Dissolving your own government to hold an election early, by voting twice to have no confidence in your new leader. A great plan.

Yeah surely it'd be less damaging for the conservatives to just use their majority to overturn the Fixed Term Parliament Act? They'd take some stick for repealing their own legislation but spin some bollocks about times being different to the uncertain years of the coalition and it'd be forgotten about in a week.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I was hoping they'd given him one of the dusty as gently caress chapters where nothing happens but you get a lecture on the technical aspects of whaling. Turns out he's got one of the shortest chapters of the book where Ahab smokes a pipe, then doesn't smoke a pipe.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I think if you get UK your safest bet is to play literacy rate or maybe arable land.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

JFairfax posted:

I think that some of them take issue with men claiming that they're women and mansplaining feminism to them when they've lived all their lives with male privilege and decide that they're women.

Seems like a pretty ignorant way to describe the experiences of trans women tbh

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

JFairfax posted:

the core of feminism was and is fighting for the rights of women, whether votes, equal pay, the right to be treated properly by the police, not to be sexually harassed, to be free from sexual violence, to take domestic violence seriously, to have equal opportunity to career paths, to have their voices taken seriously in whatever field.

men have and still do marginalise and shut down women - many of these issues are still far from being solved to any satisfactory degree, even if things were better than in the past.

my understanding of where some feminist academics take exception is having someone who spent their life as a man, who may still have a penis - which is in and of itself a tool of violence and subjugation - consider themselves to be women and shut down feminists who may not quite agree on that point.

It's like if I as a white british person went to the black ghettos in america and patronisingly told them our experiences are the same because I am now an immigrant in their country, a minority and suffer oppression because I am not an american citizen. They'd probably tell me to jog the gently caress on.

Party Boat posted:

Seems like a pretty ignorant way to describe the experiences of trans women tbh

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

StoneOfShame posted:

My version of James Brown's Say it Loud- I'm Black and I'm Proud will be the more popular UKMT cover.

I like the Commitments.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

LemonDrizzle posted:

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/public/article1662933.ece

Turns out that for all bar the lunatic right of the Tory party, all the yammering about wanting to leave the EU was just a sham. Who'da thunk it?

I've thought for a while that a lot of "eurosceptic" political figures (possibly including Farage himself) see it as nothing more than a profitable windmill to tilt at and the prospect of an actual brexit has them terrified that the only issue that gives them relevance could go up in smoke.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

tekz posted:

All this fascist-antifa stuff sounds like hobbyist amateur fight club tbh. Don't you people have jobs?

It was a Saturday, tekz

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

You also post about your job at length itt

Somehow I think that forums user tekz is not arguing in good faith

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

don't cry

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

kapparomeo posted:

And your attitude here is a direct contributor to the increasing problem of antibiotic resistance.

Surely the GP who prescribes the antibiotics should bear the responsibility, not the patient?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Malcolm XML posted:

a very large problem is the many people who have been trained to need pills/injections/whathaveyou from a doctor's visit and will raise hell if they don't get it

Then GPs and the wider NHS should solve that problem with better education instead of treating antibiotics as go-away pills.

That or roll out the widespread use of placebos.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

JFairfax posted:

homeopathy is a placebo

Yeah but you can really drive down manufacturing costs if you cut out the need to dilute onions in water and bash the bottle against a horse hair stuffed cushion

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Hope your shoulder's okay Jose

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

kapparomeo posted:

We shouldn't be encouraging it either way, whether it be medics who just chuck some pills at a patient to be done with him quickly or patients who are absolutely certain that their runny nose is really Bloaty Head because they read it on a website once and demand a full treatment course or they'll scream the place out.

You've pivoted here from "people shouldn't go to their GP unless it's really serious" (potentially dangerous as it assumes that the average person can tell what's serious) to "people shouldn't demand inappropriate treatments from their GP" which I think we can all agree with.

You might've seen this post floating round Facebook but it's a pretty good argument against amateur diagnosis. Whether you think that rash on your leg is probably nothing or you're convinced your headache is cancer, "don't consult a doctor" is generally not a recommended course of action.

I mean I do understand the "don't go unless it's serious" mindset to a certain extent: I'm young and active and through a combination of that and very good fortune haven't had to see a doctor in about a decade. If I were more prone to serious illness though I'd be way more likely to head to the doc's if I was feeling a little under the weather, and I'm not going to criticise others for doing that even if some of them are annoying hypochondriacs.

e: I guess the corollary to "go to the loving doctor" is "listen to the loving doctor".

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 1, 2016

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

EdBlackadder posted:

GP experiences

This is a good post and thanks for making it.

e: and the whole saving people's lives thing, that's cool too

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

https://twitter.com/ExcelPope/status/694572073054789633

(one autocomplete result is notably absent)

• Locked thread