Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
It's not just loving with land management, these bastards are the ones poisoning raptors because they eat baby grouse.

e: It will never come up anywhere beyond a Monbiot column, though, which is the most depressing thing. The Tories have not only failed to spend money on flood defences, they've actively made it worse so their chums can go out shooting fish in a barrel and barely anyone will ever hear about it.

XMNN fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jan 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Cerv posted:

The first one was entertaining for the North Korean well synchronised attack on the White House. But after than just a bad rehash of die hard. This one just looks all poo poo.
That was a good film until the bad guys won at the end :(

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Pissflaps posted:

By that logic shouldn't Corbyn have been deselected years ago?
Well, if his constituents and his local party felt he wasn't adequately representing them then yes, obviously.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

quote:

The boundary review is seen as one of the key reforms necessary to ensure that the Tories increase their majority at the next general election.

There are fears that opposition peers in the House of Lords could try and defeat the legislation.

However, Mr Cameron is attempting to ensure that peers are never able to overrule secondary legislation to ensure the boundary changes are not killed off.
tbh i'm not convinced "creeping towards fascism" is hyperbole

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

thespaceinvader posted:

It's a very clever way of doing it too, get the changes out the way very early in a term so most of the general public will have forgotten about them by the GE,, if they even cared in the first place. I'd admire it if it wasn't so terrifying.
That article suggests it won't actually reach parliament until 2018, so unless they've completely neutered the Lords/passed an Enabling Act by then I imagine it will probably drag out maybe even into 2019 and that might not be enough time for people to forget it. If it manages to percolate into the public consciousness as a Bad Thing at all, of course.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Saudi Arabia, Cameron's platonic ideal of human rights and political freedom, has just executed 47 people, including a prominent Shia sheikh for involvement in pro-democracy movements which has understandably pissed a lot of people off in the region.

I hope he will actually change his attitude instead of just continuing on like nothing happened and they're a really great friend and ally in the region and we can influence them more by selling them planes and bombs and not trying to influence them and blah blah blah again. Although, I wouldn't rule it out because they haven't done anything to a rich old white man from the UK this time.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Yes, David Cameron will more than likely continue to play best friends with the Saudis because it would be difficult to do the right thing, but that doesn't change the fact that he isn't doing the right thing.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Christ, I knew Danczuk was a prick, I didn't expect him to turn out to be such a monster.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Yeah, if you'd asked me a month ago if I thought Danczuk might be a rapist I would probably have said no.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Without hesitation?
No, I think that post would probably have been closer to what I was trying to say if you substituted "was probably" for "might be". Like, he was definitely creepy and I'm not hugely shocked but I wasn't exactly expecting it.

e: 8 BC - Arminius is taken as a hostage to Rome where he receives military training. 12 years later in Teutoberg Forest he teaches the Romans the same lesson the Americans are taught by the Afghan mujahideen 2000 years later.

XMNN fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 3, 2016

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
It's like finding out your creepy neighbour has been dissolving people in his bathtub. It's not an enormous surprise but it's more hosed up than you expected.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I think it's just there's blood in the water and plenty of scandalous gossip to go round and sell papers/get page views with so there's a feeding frenzy.

Like the Mirror is doing it too, I think it's gone beyond politically motivated because he's disgraced and no use to anyone's agenda now.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I actually go out of my way to pick up litter all the time and that Clean for the Queen garbage makes me not want to anymore.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Less litter is good, although I think summary executions would be more effective. It's just she's not my nan and i'm not going to do poo poo for her she can clean up her own country

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Jedit posted:

In the case of Tories, the two halves of the sum belong to separate people.
lol

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
So, are the odds of Danczuk resigning any better with all this new stuff coming out and probably more on the way? My gut says no.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
the one with his sisters underwear?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
This just in, an urgent communique from the Danczukbunker

quote:

It is not for ex-girlfriends or ex-wives to determine who the MP for Rochdale is. It is for the residents of Rochdale to determine who the MP for Rochdale is. I have been very clear about what issues I have addressed personally and I will continue to do so.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
lol

clearly they already decided he was a fit person to be an MP in may and thats that for the next 4 years

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
As long as he's properly kicked out of the party, that will be a start. There's no way they won't find grounds to expel him now, is there?

e: Apparently his ex-wife is going to be talking to the police about him, from her description in whichever tabloid he is a literal rapist so maybe he'll be charged with something there

XMNN fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jan 4, 2016

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Spangly A posted:

He has a professional expectation not to abuse a position of authority, he did so. Rochdale just had a major, major paedophile scandal and Danzcuk is sexting teenagers. He's done.

e; hang on am I confusing it with Rotherham

either way he's definitely campaigned strongly against what he's a few months from doing himself
tbf Rochdale has had paedo problems of its own

e: I really, really hope he's done in the Labour party, but unless he goes to prison I don't see him giving up his seat, he's a narcissist

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
There've been quite a lot of cash machines blown up with acetylene in the last few years but they don't usually go up as spectacularly as that.

I was wondering why the photo looks like it's from the 80s but apparently it's from Somerset which explains it

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
There's a difference between playing your own pieces of poo poo down as just a bit of a character who's only saying what everyone else is thinking anyway, right, and going out of your way to pick up turds from the side of the road. I'm not sure UKIP are desperate enough for that, considering he's going to remain a liability even if this particular flare up blows over relatively quickly.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
peak graun reshuffle bollocks

quote:

Jeremy Corbyn appeared to confirm he is planning a reshuffle of his top team, amid intense speculation about who could take the shadow foreign and defence jobs.

The Labour leader said on Monday he was “not talking about the reshuffle” as he appeared at King’s Cross station in London as part of a campaign against rising rail fares.
like maybe there is going to be one but the amount theyve read into that is p lol

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
You'd never catch David Cameron just wandering off camera when he doesn't want to answer a question.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
behold what happens when you gaze too long into the abyss of realpolitik

Some of Saudi Arabia’s executions understandable, says ex-UK ambassador posted:

Some of Saudi Arabia’s recent executions of al-Qaida supporters were understandable, Britain’s former ambassador to the country has said, as the UK government faces fresh questions about the intimacy of its links with the Saudi regime.

Speaking to the BBC, Sir John Jenkins said: “Do I think the sentences are justified? Certainly the people accused of membership of AQ [al-Qaida], particularly given what has happened over the past 18 months with these attacks by Islamic State inside the kingdom, I can understand why the Saudis reacted in the way they did.”

He added that Saudi Arabia would argue that its executions were different from killings by Islamic State (Isis), since Saudi Arabia is “a legitimately constituted state operating in a state system”. Iran executed far more people than Saudi Arabia, he said.

Riyadh announced on Saturday it had killed 47 people for terrorism, including prominent Shia religious leader Nimr al-Nimr, prompting outrage among Shia communities across the Middle East and in south Asia, and endangering plans for multi-nation peace talks on Syria.

The leadership of the Labour party, under Jeremy Corbyn, has been increasingly critical of Britain’s links with Saudi Arabia. At the weekend it expressed anger that British foreign office minister Tobias Ellwood had described the executions as “disappointing”. The British Foreign Office later issued a tougher message calling for restraint on all sides.

The shadow human rights minister, Andy Slaughter, condemned the relationship and wrote to the justice secretary, Michael Gove, asking for him to confirm that discussions of judicial cooperation were continuing with the Saudis and calling for them to “cease immediately”.

“It is not right that the UK should be actively cooperating with a justice system that shows such flagrant disregard for the most basic human rights and the rule of law,” Slaughter argued.

He said the cancellation last year of a bid to provide Saudi Arabia with prisons expertise was not enough, and called for the publication of a “memorandum of understanding” signed by the justice heads of both states in September 2014.

“Cancelling the prison contract last year, and disbanding the Ministry of Justice unit that negotiated it, has had no effect on discussions on wider judicial cooperation which are continuing through the British embassy in Riyadh,” he said.

“These should cease immediately and the government should publish the memorandum and disclose the full nature of British support and advice on justice issues to the Saudi regime.”

Jenkins said of the executions that the Saudis would argue that most of those killed had taken up arms against the state, had called for the secession of the Eastern province, or had disclaimed loyalty to the Saudi state. “In Saudi terms disavowing the Saudi state is almost as serious as taking up arms,” Jenkins said.

Jenkins, who was the UK ambassador to Riyadh until the end of 2015, added that some of the punishments meted out by the Saudis were disproportionate.

He said the purpose of the mass executions was to send a signal to Iran and to the US, as well as internally. “Essentially the message is that we, the Saudis, are not going to be pushed around by anybody. We reject Iranian interference in our affairs and we will stand up against anyone who we think is an Iranian agent of influence inside our country and who calls for the dissolution of the kingdom.”

Saudi public opinion is expressed through social media, Jenkins said, and the rulers had been severely criticised by its own citizens for not doing enough to push back against Shia and Iranian influence. The Saudi kingdom was also facing a rival in the form of Isis, since Isis was presenting itself as the only force capable of standing up to Shia expansionism, he said.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Ken Livingstone was on the World at One earlier saying Benn/Burnham is probably happening.

If he can keep the cabinet largely together, try to minimise any moves that could be spun as punitive and come out with something that will at least make him less likely to be disagreeing with shadow ministers on their briefs quite so publicly in future then... it will still be a brutal Stalinist purge by a weak and ineffective leader who, despite being a limp-wristed pacifist vegetarian, will sweep to power and destroy Britain and all its Traditional Values given half a chance, according to our beloved Free Press.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Guavanaut posted:

I hope they get reshuffled to Bran/Hennbum.
Parliament would at least be more entertaining if it was more like Game of Thrones, Tories lying slain on the field of battle, Blairite heads on spikes etc etc

might need to tone down the gratuitous sex scenes given their proclivities, though

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
The problem is the Blairites spent the last 6 months gladly helping the media demonise Corbyn which is not necessarily going to convince his supporters that being left wing is inherently unpopular and maybe they should just listen to the grown-ups next time.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Noxville posted:

Eagle, Eagle and Falconer? Just what is with Jeremy Corbyn's sinister agenda against birds?
I saw a sparrowhawk tear apart a pigeon on my front lawn earlier, I don't know whether that's a good or a bad omen but it's definitely one or the other.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
If he'd just told them from the beginning "gently caress off, I haven't decided how I'm going to proceed, that's why I'm meeting with my colleagues, go home and see your families" would they have listened?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Is he the one that started the "revenge reshuffle" meme?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Jess Phillips is asking the important question "Is Jeremy Corbyn trying to assemble a shadow cabinet that will appease dissident factions in the Labour party within the constraints placed upon him by the refusal of certain people to serve in it, or is he a secret misogynist?" again.

Labour reshuffle: Jeremy Corbyn accused of being a misogynist by Jess Phillips posted:

Jess Phillips MP calls for reversal of party's 'non-violent misogyny' in Mr Corbyn's 'revenge reshuffle'

Jeremy Corbyn is under pressure to promote more women to prominent posts in his top team as the Labour leader began work on a controversial reshuffle of his shadow Cabinet.

He began a round of meetings with shadow ministers amid accusations that he was planning a “revenge reshuffle” aimed at purging internal critics who have disagreed publicly on such issues as bombing Isis in Syria and renewing the Trident missile system.

Key announcements are due on Tuesday with attention focussing on the fate of Hilary Benn, the shadow Foreign Secretary; Maria Eagle, the shadow Defence Secretary; and Michael Dugher, the shadow Culture Secretary.

There are indications that Mr Benn is resisting an attempt to move him. The shadow Foreign Secretary has powerful allies in the party and sacking him could trigger resignations by other shadow ministers.

Corbyn allies have said that decisions on individuals’ future would depend on their loyalty over the last four months and where they shared his “direction of travel”.

His first reshuffle – which took place the day after his leadership victory in September – was widely criticised for failing to appoint more women to senior posts.

Jess Phillips, the MP for Birmingham Yardley, told BBC2’s Newsnight: “Had Tony Blair not given any of top jobs to the women – had that same make-up of his team existed – people would rightly have been up in arms.

“But it's a bit like some people in the Labour Party are accepting low-level non-violent misogyny because it’s Jeremy doing it.”

Harriet Harman, the former Labour deputy leader, called for a change in its rules to guarantee either the party’s leader or deputy leader is female.

“I just think we can’t have a men-only leadership when we are a party for women and equality. Women in this country expect to see men and women working together on equal terms, that’s what the Labour Party believes in and we can’t have an all-male leadership again.”

Labour sources have indicated that Mr Benn’s position could be under threat after he made an impassioned Commons speech calling for UK airstrikes on Isis to be extended from Iraq to Syria.

Ken Livingstone, a close Corbyn ally, called for him to be moved to a lower-profile role. He said: “It might very well be the case – and I have no knowledge of this – that it would be better to move Hilary Benn to something where he’s in agreement with Jeremy Corbyn rather than where he’s in disagreement.”

Mr Benn left a lengthy meeting with Mr Corbyn refusing to comment.

Diane Abbott, the shadow International Development Secretary, who is close to Mr Corbyn, described rumours that she was being lined up to replace him as “poppycock and piffle”.

Ms Eagle’ s future has been called into doubt over her support for Trident and for querying Mr Corbyn’s leadership credentials after he indicated he could never use the nuclear deterrent. Asked if she thought she would retain her post, she said: “I don’t know – we’ll have to see.”

The new MP for Norwich South Clive Lewis, a staunch Corbyn supporter, who has been linked with the defence portfolio, said he did not want to succeed Ms Eagle, although stopped short of ruling it out altogether.
Wow, I can imagine what the uproar would have been like if Tony Blair had assembled a cabinet which was majority male without any women in the 4 Great Offices of State. It would have been loving chaos, there would have been rioting in the streets and effigies of the Great Deceiver being burned on pyres. If you aren't blessed with such a fertile imagination you could build a time machine or find a copy of a newspaper from any time between the 2nd of May 1997 and the 5th of May 2006 when he made Margaret Beckett his foreign secretary.

e: Like it would be great if there were more women in the shadow cabinet and in politics in general, and if Jeremina Corbyn had run against her twin brother in the leadership contest she'd have had my vote, but it's not like he has been able to assemble the cabinet of his heart's desire and her thing about Tony Blair is just stupid

XMNN fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jan 5, 2016

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
It's funny because I'm going to blame the Blairites for loving up any chance of Corbyn trying to get a positive message out when he was elected or even just letting him trip himself up without their help.

Since the start it has been confused infighting and if they had just let him make his own mistakes then we would at least be able to say that it was definitely his fault and maybe we should have gone for a Blairbot. As it is, all they have succeeded in doing is worsening the divisions within the party, because they have absolutely not been winning over the left with their antics, and maybe made Corbyn more unpopular than he would have been.

The Labour party is hosed, this country is hosed and the world is going to gently caress itself very soon because everyone is too lazy and selfish to do anything about climate change.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
On the bright side, North Korea's hydrogen bomb test hopefully means we're a little closer to cleansing the world in nuclear fire and not having to worry about this garbage anymore.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
good, I pray for death

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

JFairfax posted:

Also at music festivals.
and weddings

pretty much any outdoor event really

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

OwlFancier posted:

Smoking is cool.

I mean it's bad for you and those around you but it is objectively cool, I think that anti-smoking campaigns took the wrong tack with that one.
They should focus on the fact you smell and feel disgusting.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
lol can you imagine if schools catered to a christian agenda like time off for christmas and easter and harvest festivals and prayers in assemblies

no one would stand for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Begin investigating and prosecuting people for money laundering and redistribute the seized assets as council flats.

• Locked thread