Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
It's 1983 and I'm excited for the new and shiny...
This poll is closed.
The Intellivision 2 34 22.67%
The COLECO ADAM 19 12.67%
The Vectrex 35 23.33%
The Atari 5200 62 41.33%
Total: 150 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Ekster posted:

Why not all MMO have moved on to maximum skinner box cookie clicker games by now is beyond me.

it doesnt really work, WoW is trying to do that and has been bleeding subs, FF14 took the route of a modernised version with less fluff and more story and interesting quests and has been exploding in population

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Sorry I meant to say MMO players, just edited it in.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Ekster posted:

Sorry I meant to say MMO players, just edited it in.

oh well i guess its because MMO players dont actually want that as much as it seems that way. WoW got big because the other MMOs were loot grindfests and it did something extra. except they stopped building on that and made it a loot grindfest again.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
The reason I asked about how they're planning on episode-ing FFVII is because it's entirely possible (and extremely likely) that each "episode" is just going to represent a disk from the original VII release, so it won't be any more linear than the game already was.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lady Naga posted:

The reason I asked about how they're planning on episode-ing FFVII is because it's entirely possible (and extremely likely) that each "episode" is just going to represent a disk from the original VII release, so it won't be any more linear than the game already was.

Probably not likely since the last disc in FF7 is just the final dungeon and a bunch of FMV, story wise at least.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Stux posted:

yes its an rpg

Sakurazuka posted:

It's an MMO, 30 minutes of tedium is nothing
It'a waaaaaaay beyond the level of your average MMO or RPG. 30 minutes into WoW you're probably doing a lame fetch quest or something involving killing wolves (depending on your race), but at least you're doing something other than walking around a city being fed massive, boring textdumps by people with the most incomprehensibly stupid fantasy names in existence.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You haven't played many MMO's or RPG's have you?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Sakurazuka posted:

Probably not likely since the last disc in FF7 is just the final dungeon and a bunch of FMV, story wise at least.

With how incompetently AAA companies have been dealing with episodic content it's not that much of a stretch.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

*30 minutes in to Persona 4* Phew I've just made it to the first day of school now shits gonna get real.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I've played many. Why do you ask?

I challenge you to name 5 good, popular MMOs and RPGs with as slow a start as FFXIV.

Sakurazuka posted:

*30 minutes in to Persona 4* Phew I've just made it to the first day of school now shits gonna get real.
Not even slightly comparable. Persona 4 opens with an actual narrative. You're not walking around the school talking to every single person, each of whom shoves an exposition dump in your face before you even know what's going on.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Lol

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

man don't mash through the text, the voice acting is p okay

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
If you don't spend 3 hours in plot exposition, how will you care about the game enough to do 23 raid runs in Titan's Putrid Summer House waiting for that sweet sweet Celebrant's Toilet Paper Roll of Summoning

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
FFXIV is known for it slow start as it act like the player never played a mmo in its life. But with the game is designed you never need to make more then one character.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

The "death roll" is a thing actual alligators do, and that's pretty much exactly what it looks like when they do it to an actual human. Only with more bone-breaking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KwYILC0yyc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZhHHVsAnI4&t=77s
TW: dude getting his arm tored off.

GG game devs.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Sleeveless posted:

The "death roll" is a thing actual alligators do, and that's pretty much exactly what it looks like when they do it to an actual human. Only with more bone-breaking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KwYILC0yyc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZhHHVsAnI4&t=77s
TW: dude getting his arm tored off.

GG game devs.

I wonder what it's going to look like on varied terrain. I wouldn't have thought about it except they're showing it off in obvious test conditions with completely level terrain. Seems like it might actually be a technical challenge to get it to look good otherwise.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Steve2911 posted:

I've played many. Why do you ask?

I challenge you to name 5 good, popular MMOs and RPGs with as slow a start as FFXIV.

Not even slightly comparable. Persona 4 opens with an actual narrative. You're not walking around the school talking to every single person, each of whom shoves an exposition dump in your face before you even know what's going on.

Actually you do? Especially in Golden where it added segments to the opening of the game specifically to talk to more people about the town and to exposit on character relationships. Like talking to Yukiko alone after you do the first Shadow shenanigans leads to like a 5 minute conversation about how distanced she feels from people and she barely knows you at this point.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Steve2911 posted:

It'a waaaaaaay beyond the level of your average MMO or RPG. 30 minutes into WoW you're probably doing a lame fetch quest or something involving killing wolves (depending on your race), but at least you're doing something other than walking around a city being fed massive, boring textdumps by people with the most incomprehensibly stupid fantasy names in existence.

KH2 had a 1 to 2 hour errand filled prologue and people acted like it was the death of gaming.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jay Rust posted:

Played a few hours of The Witness. Jonathan Blow has no idea how to marry story and gameplay.

"Solve this interesting sliding puzzle. Now let me tell you about the religiosity of science."

I've played for like 10 hours and solved something like 50 puzzles and haven't found a single video or audio clip

I think I kind of accidentally sequence broke the game tho because I solved something very early that was very hard and kind of hidden away and now I'm lost

I haven't had a game affect me in this way since Journey though, it is some good poo poo if you go in COMPLETELY BLIND

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Broseph Brostar posted:

KH2 had a 1 to 2 hour errand filled prologue and people acted like it was the death of gaming.

kh1 opened the exact same way but it felt better y'know

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Broseph Brostar posted:

It was SO loving BORING

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It helps that KH1's sticks with characters and concepts you'll get to know for the rest of the game unlike KH2, where you play as a Roxas a character who will do none of the things Sora does and sucks.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Final Fantasy 14 is the only good MMO I have ever played

to be fair, I've only played like... three MMOs ever

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Broseph Brostar posted:

Ok I'll give you that one. That actually had a point and an interesting plot going on in the background though.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
KH2 could be forgiven much of its plot nonsense if the gameplay even remotely approached its predecessor, but instead the game relied on more quick-time-events and scripted sequences and the combat engine felt streamlined to the point of uselessness. Additionally, most of the levels were just empty rooms with enemies to fight--there was none of the (admittedly clunky) platforming or puzzle solving of the previous games, except in maybe a handful of instances. The Disney stuff felt even more tacked on and the Organization 13 poo poo felt even more bizarre because the villains were far more likable, personable and sympathetic than the heroes.

The Roxas "twist" in no way justified having to play as him for as long as you do, and especially because the point of that segment seems to ultimately give us sympathy for the villains, yet the game forces us to mercilessly slaughter them in BULLSHIT HARD BOSS FIGHTS that have gimmicky bullshit like a timer that will insta-kill you if you don't attack water spouts. It isn't fun on any level.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

So you didn't like the Disney Final Fantasy game for children because it was too difficult?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Looper posted:

kh1 opened the exact same way but it felt better y'know

It's funny cause in a vacuum, the prologue in kh2 is more detailed and had a lot more effort put into it, but it all gets in the way of actually playing the real game.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

FactsAreUseless posted:

So you didn't like the Disney Final Fantasy game for children because it was too difficult?

:vince:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
KH2's intro wouldn't have been so bad if the entire setup for it wasn't hidden in a GBA card game that almost nobody played or cared about.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Sleeveless posted:

KH2's intro wouldn't have been so bad if the entire setup for it wasn't hidden in a GBA card game that almost nobody played or cared about.

Didn't it sell extremely well? That's why the series has been in spinoff retread hell for a decade, right?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
It's never too early to discuss game of the year. 2014's game of the year came out in February (Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's unfortunate that they've managed to engineer a situation in which people who loved the first two KH games will have no loving clue what's going on in KH3 unless they played the 30 other crap ones (and don't start with the 'the PSP one is the best one' shtick). Alienation on that scale is impressive.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

KH2 could be forgiven much of its plot nonsense if the gameplay even remotely approached its predecessor, but instead the game relied on more quick-time-events and scripted sequences and the combat engine felt streamlined to the point of uselessness. Additionally, most of the levels were just empty rooms with enemies to fight--there was none of the (admittedly clunky) platforming or puzzle solving of the previous games, except in maybe a handful of instances. The Disney stuff felt even more tacked on and the Organization 13 poo poo felt even more bizarre because the villains were far more likable, personable and sympathetic than the heroes.

The Roxas "twist" in no way justified having to play as him for as long as you do, and especially because the point of that segment seems to ultimately give us sympathy for the villains, yet the game forces us to mercilessly slaughter them in BULLSHIT HARD BOSS FIGHTS that have gimmicky bullshit like a timer that will insta-kill you if you don't attack water spouts. It isn't fun on any level.

the oxford comma

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I am so sick of all these Kingdom Hearts!

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Broseph Brostar posted:

Didn't it sell extremely well? That's why the series has been in spinoff retread hell for a decade, right?

Wikipedia says that it sold 1.5 million copies compared to Kingdom Hearts' 5.6 million copies. So pretty good for a GBA game but still leaving more than half the people who played KH2 completely in the dark.

I actually bought it back in the day but almost all of the actual new material with Namine and the Nobodies is gated to the very end of the game and everything before that is just re-playing the levels from KH so I got stuck and lost interest long before the parts that would actually have anything to do with KH2.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm saying the fight against the water guy was completely bullshit and that's a bonafide fact!

I didn't like it because it took all the fun stuff that was in the first game and replaced it with more anime nonsense, and like thirty seconds of Christopher Lee.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

kh1 plays like rear end

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Kh1's outdated as poo poo even though I love it, KH2's a better game.

Also the PSP one is the best one, especially when it got ported to PS3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
IS KH3 gonna have Star Wars in it? I might buy it if so

• Locked thread