Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Magog posted:

I don 't even go to any music festivals but gently caress this boring state.
3 deaths in the past year, literally less than 1 in a million in this city, despite the status quo probably leading to worse outcomes than possible.

The real wtf is that a pharmacist overdid the pingas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Romeo Charlie posted:

I find it interesting that Blackmores share price has gone from $34.20 to $205.50 in exactly 1 year.

Have they become 6 times more profitable?

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Solemn Sloth posted:

Yeah, this is clearly a humanities thing rather than a shittily run university thing :allears:
I've worked at 4 AU unis now, and it's been my experience that the assessment of PhDs is largely up the faculties/schools. Central administration certainly doesn't make subject specific assessments of thesis content. All the central admin/exec seem to care about is that each PhD candidate is funded, and nothing that might generate bad publicity happens.

open24hours posted:

The reputation of the humanities isn't degraded by this any more than the reputation of medicine is degraded by the various quack doctors getting around.

Medicine tends to hound out the Wakefield type quacks, although I know a couple of GPs who do a sideline in homeopathy in the eastern suburbs of Adelaide, so a certain level is tolerated.

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 18, 2016

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
this titanic strawman had to be made of GM crops, normal straw just doesn't have the strength

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

fliptophead posted:

Internode has been good for me. Been with them since 2004 and have always had good service and no outages. Getting a free tb upgrade per month was cool too!

E: they also helped me out with a uni assignment and pretended I was business customer and gave me a proper quote and everything. Top blokes/sheilas considering they made no money off it.
The odds of them doing things like that now they've been bought by TPG and support staff ratios reduced are pretty bad.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

TG-Chrono posted:

Nah so far TPG are leveraging their infrastructure but haven't torn up their customer facing side of the business. I have moved house 3 times on Internode, recently last week, and they've remained helpful and awesome all the time.
staff headcount in Adelaide (ie Internode + Adam) has been reduced, and I hear rumours that things are changing in WA operations too. I know 3 people who used to work for those companies who don't any more because of the TPG thing.

Pickled Tink posted:

I dunno. They tripled my cap for free without telling me some time in the last four or five months.
Next step is to remove quota free zone...just wait and see.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

oh and they just added this:

typical ABC left-wing bias

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

gay picnic defence posted:

Looks like the LNPhave decided on the most appealing reason to cut tax for the rich

http://www.theage.com.au/business/the-economy/scrap-workrelated-deductions-offer-personal-tax-cuts-turnbull-told-20160125-gmdktv.html

I'm guessing if you can afford a slick accountant you'll still be able to claim a bunch of poo poo, all while benefiting from a new lower tax rate.
if the proles don't want to suffer the injustice of bracket creep, they shouldn't be agitating for higher wages

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Yeah, they'll do that. Also, you pretty much need to apply for 20 jobs a day to get anywhere. I was looking for work a few months back after a contract ended and got a fair bit of radio silence whenever I applied for jobs where the application process used one of those time-wasting online forms run by Talent2, Taleo, Revelian, Brassring etc. Then I tried putting job ads through a wordcloud generator and shoehorned the biggest words from the wordcloud into my resume and the online forms and suddenly most places called me back and I got offered 3 jobs in one week. If you can get past the automated filter that prevents 90% of resumes from ever being seen by human eyes, then you're suddenly only competing against 15-20 people instead of probably hundreds.

Does putting all the keywords in as invisible text help with this? That way you can still have something human friendly, while passing the automated filters.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

Basically Australia doesn't produce enough smart people to take the amount of positions we have for courses, so we just let the dummies into them.
Alternative conclusion: universities are so desperate for money they'll admit people who have little chance of completing a course of study.

Zenithe posted:

My mate who works in HR just told me this is stupid and not to do it. Often the software they scan highlights the words they are searching for, which still shows up white text, at which point you get immediately binned.
So they cull by dumb keyword filters, but punish people who try not to get culled by dumb filters. Another chapter to add to Cartoon's Australian_Management_Is_Inefficient.txt

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jan 27, 2016

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Zenithe posted:

I can ask him again, but from what he described it sounds like there is an automatic process which filters the applications, the successful ones get sent through to people who use a program that highlights important information. He said the best way is to incorporate the "skills required" words into your CV or cover letter if you can as this is usually what they look for.

Having been the main contact for advertised positions and dealing with the torrent of crap that brings, I sympathise with recruiters to a certain extent, but that industry just gives me the shits.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Anidav posted:

The LNP are shitheads.txt

The Electoral Commission of Queensland has distanced itself from election campaign material sent by the Liberal National Party's Brisbane council campaign, which was sent out in envelopes similar to the ECQ's own corporate colours.
The material has appeared in multiple Brisbane City Council wards and contain ECQ postal vote forms, along with letters co-signed by Lord Mayor Graham Quirk and the local LNP candidate in that ward.
While it was usual practice for candidates to send postal vote forms to electors, the choice of envelope with a similar maroon hue to the ECQ's corporate material had prompted several complaints to the commission.

Labor do that too, FYI

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

hooman posted:

This is especially dumb in the context of the recent intentional softballing and silencing of critique of the liberal's awful NBN policy.

And also the reviews that keep finding either no bias or a slight right of centre bias

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Recoome posted:

diversity and australia are like oil and water, no matter how hard you try, they just don't mix

Water on an oil fire is a pretty spectacular combination

• Locked thread