Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Nibbles! posted:

Isn't it the case that you can't OD on MDMA anyway? It's heat or dehydration that gets you? Do they still stop you taking your own water into festivals?

Can be the opposite of dehydration too, where you overcompensate and drink too much water. It's what happened in the Anna Wood case about 20 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Garry Johns pushing his usual shtick I assume?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Graic Gabtar posted:

What's the rationale behind this? I'd scoop out my own eyes before I watched an episode of ACA.
Read any of Gary Johns' op-ed pieces from the past few years and you'll get an idea.

Or don't, since they're garbage.

Gary 'Have you tried "kill all the poors"' Johns posted:

This is not an affront to single mothers or absent fathers, or struggling parents. Such a measure will undoubtedly affect strugglers, it undoubtedly will affect Aboriginal and Islander people in great proportions, but the idea that someone can have the taxpayer, as of right, fund the choice to have a child is repugnant.

Large families of earlier generations were the result of the combination of absent contraception and the need to have many children, in order that some survive to care for parents in old age. These conditions do not now apply. Infant mortality is minuscule in all sectors of society, and the taxpayer picks up the tab for aged care.

Therefore, there should be no taxpayer inducement to have children. Potential parents of poor means, poor skills or bad character will choose to have children. So be it. But no one should enter parenthood while on a benefit. It is better to avoid having children until such time as parents can afford them. No amount of ‘‘intervention’’ after the fact can make up for the strife that many parents bring down on their ­children.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Trapezium Dave posted:

And of course the Australian responds today with a front-page story, a commentary piece and an editorial saying the real issue is the PMs inappropriate process for investigating ministerial conduct.

:unsmigghh:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8pPzEReJsw

based on this

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Dude McAwesome posted:

rich white kids have it the hardest out of everyone

:thejoke:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

hooman posted:

For someone who thinks the government shouldn't interfere with our glorious right to do whatever, how exactly does he propose we in Australia fix FGM?

Funnily enough I can't find any record of him talking about FGM previously.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Zenithe posted:

This is the Onion right? Please?
Great, more foreign Onion products being passed off as local content.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Why are people talking about Joyce as Deputy PM today? Did people finally remember Truss existed only to check in on him and find out he died months ago?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Anidav posted:

David Bowie didn't die. He went undercover as Bill Shorten.

Well he is a shape-shifting super-villain.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Keep trollin' trollin' trollin'.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The AEC put up the final list of changes for the NSW redistribution.

Looks like I'm not moving to Grayndler after all.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

So the ABC was pressuring a journo into not writing about the NBN?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

What actually happened with Bill Shorten and the kid.

Spoiler alert: it's pretty heartwarming and Shorten did nothing wrong.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Guy's talking here, I'll wait for someone to summarise because reddit is unreadable:

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/410n4q/i_am_outgoing_abc_technology_editor_nick_ross_ama/

(Regarding a gag order)

quote:

In early March 2013 I was told by a senior ABC manager that ABC Management was expecting the Liberals to win the next election and that Malcolm Turnbull would be in charge of the ABC and that they didn't want to upset him. From this point on I documented everything.

After that I had articles held back (one wasn't published at all) and heavily pressured not to write anything on the matter.

On one occasion, four months before the election, with regards to this article which raised huge questions about the viability of the copper network I was told that "there was nothing wrong with the article per se" but that 'The NBN was dead and so there's no point in causing a fuss.'

I published it when I saw Emma Alberici had published hers right after the election. But it got buried and I only got social media traffic.

quote:

It's not like I was given a form that said "Gag order" on it. I was told not to upset pollies. I had articles held back. I was told instead to write an article about "why the NBN had failed"... 4 months before the election.

I said I would but didn't. When the media says things like that it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Part of the reason I'm doing this is because we've another election coming up this year and, as a member of the public and tax payer, I don't want my ABC manipulating news according to a political party.

quote:

As I've now said elsewhere, after the initial meeting I decided to record subsequent meetings to protect myself. Lucky I did:-

I've literally got them on tape saying "the NBN is dead and so there's no point in making a fuss" four months before the election and using that as an excuse not to publish the copper article.

(When asked for a rough timeline)

quote:

Feb 2013: Published The vast differences between the NBN and the Coalition's alternative

Feb/March 2013: Article starts going epic viral. Two weeks later The Project uses it to grill Turnbull on air. For once he seems very uncomfortable in a media interview about the NBN.

A few days later: The Australian suddenly publishes two articles about me. One erroneously saying I'd been disciplined by the ABC. Another from an "expert" saying why my article was wrong (laughably bullshit).

Next day: Stephen Conroy slamming Mark Scott for "gagging me" on Jon Faine radio show

Later that day: I meet with senior ABC manager who tells me to keep quiet, go home, and that ABC is preparing for Liberal government etc. Also some questions from Media Watch about content of site.

Following Monday: Media Watch beat-up appears. It's all about me. I'd been told it was about NBN coverage in the media in general.

April: Write article on how Liberal/Turnbull claims about how price of internet under Libs will be cheaper is factually incorrect. Told not to publish it because of the political environment. Article is never published.

May: Complete my Copper Network article (it was actually done in an earlier version in March). Told there's "nothing wrong with it per se" but that "the NBN is dead and there's no point in causing a fuss"

July 2013: Diagnosed with stress and getting ill from it.

Election: Emma Alberici finally publishes her NBN article. I publish mine on Copper and Telehealth

Following months: Almost all requests for other media (TV radio) have vanished. Daily news conference calls involve me telling News team about NBN stuff but that I can't cover it and perhaps someone else might like to. Only Science Editor and Environment Editor ask why.

2014: Vertigan and Ergas "reviews" appear. Can't cover them.

2015: Waiting to be absorbed into main News Online team.

Around July: Told ABC Tech site is closing and I'd need to build a tech audience with the Business Section to keep working.

I contact unions, legal people and Comcare. I also blow the whistle on what happened to me. Internal investigation occurs. Eventually says nothing wrong.

Christmas 2015: My time to build an audience with is over. I've been let down by Whistle Blowing people, my councillor, boss, Heda of HR and job is basically untenable. Get offered almost a year's salary to leave (I thought they had no money for a tech editor). Tried not to snap their arm off.

That's Extremely basic. It also should probably have Senate Estimates in there but ultimately while I was talked about I had no input.

There's also some complaints about a 2013 Media Watch episode which he says was an attack piece on him designed to keep him in line

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Ahahaha, Renai is throwing his "mate" under a bus.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Version with links and full details here.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Basically the more militaristic and gung-ho bits of Customs have been taking over the Immigration department.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

There's a huge tennis match-fixing scandal, which is the most interesting that has ever happened in the sport.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Palmer got into parliament because he felt the LNP wasn't listening to him when he asked them to do things for him.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

SadisTech posted:

Counting down until Renai LeMay justifies his premium content article about how Nick Ross was not gagged whatsoever and is just seeking attention as being the legitimate truth in some tortured fashion

Hah, he's hidden a bunch of the text of that article that previously could be seen without a subscription.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/petstarr/status/690286131754102784/photo/1

E: Also Morrison is talking down speculation of an early election, probably because people in the party actually realised what DD and Reps-only elections mean.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 22, 2016

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Bifauxnen posted:

For the record I think you're on the good side of this one, but Jesus Christ can you guys just stop drawing out each individual slight into 3 loving pages

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

hooman posted:

I am glad Howard won in 2004.

If Latham had won Gillard would have taken over before the end of the first term, except it'd have been obvious to everyone why.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Tony Abbott is standing for reelection so he can ask Mike Baird for more bus services to Warringah.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The former Infrastructure PM posted:

After leaving the prime ministership, I said that I would spend some time talking to family, trusted colleagues and local Liberals about my future. I have been heartened by the support and encouragement I’ve received to continue to serve the country as a member of parliament.

Therefore, I am renominating to represent the people of Warringah for another term as their Liberal MP.

I am proud of my work to establish the Sydney Harbour Federation Trust that has done so much to improve the amenity of former military land on North Head, Middle Head and Georges Heights. Should I be renominated and elected, I am looking forward to working with Premier Mike Baird to ensure that the Warringah Peninsula gets better transport links to the rest of Sydney.

It has been a great honour to serve the people of Warringah for 22 years and I hope to retain their trust and confidence.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

V for Vegas posted:

hahaha, which he had no qualms about throwing under a bus as soon as Alan Jones didn't like what it was doing.

I love that he clearly looked to find local electorate stuff he'd done, and that was the best he could come up with.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

asio posted:

Noted Players in Australian Culture, the Society of Jesus?
Abbott, Hockey, Pyne, Shorten and Joyce all went to Jesuit schools.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Former Army Chief David Morrison is Australian of the Year.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Bifauxnen posted:

Re: flagchat, I actually like the golden wattle design:

Oh that's pretty cool. Green looks a bit pale though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

ScreamingLlama posted:

That's assuming we actually DO become a republic. Our first referendum failed for a reason, and that reason was the blatant attempt at putting power solely into the hands of politicians by making THEM the electors of the President and not the voting public. To quote a political cartoon from that year: "You can choose a Queen you didn't choose... or a President you didn't choose!"
The PM appoints the GG at the moment, they wouldn't be getting any more power.

quote:

If you want to live in the Democratic People's Republic of Australia, it'd better have direct democracy built in. Ballot initiatives, such as those seen in California, are a good way to get people involved and feeling like they can make a difference - because they actually CAN make a difference (despite the truly awful initiatives coming from Christian extremists).
Dear god no.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

knows only a little about politics science

I am shocked, shocked to find that naivety is going on in this tech startup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

open24hours posted:

I think something like this better represents what we stand for as a nation. Easy for kids to draw too.

Nice and white.

• Locked thread