Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Nibbles! posted:

Isn't it the case that you can't OD on MDMA anyway? It's heat or dehydration that gets you? Do they still stop you taking your own water into festivals?

MDMA is similar to illegal opiates in that almost all the fatalities are caused by contamination, unknown ingredients or unknown dosage. The fact is that the majority of the health problems are caused by prohibition and this is why many countries actually provide opiate addicts with pharmaceutical heroin, methadone, buprenorphine, etc. It's hard to think of much justification for the banning of MDMA or opiates. I don't know what approach to use with things that are very measurably neurotoxic like meth though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Graic Gabtar posted:

Now they just sell poo poo to the ignorant consumer fooled by their '80s credibility.

A lot of people younger than that also like him because he briefly sold a line of matches called Dickheads in the late 90's.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
Patriots, do you here the call? The spirit of our forefathers which made our great southern land the nation we revere, do you sense the danger we are under from the cultural Marxists and the threat of Islam? Strength, courage, honour, discipline, desire and determination are the seeds of victory! We the people must wrestle control from the labor/liberal paradigm to save our nation!!!. We at UPF/Fortitude seek your membership! No matter how long, or whatever it takes, will you stand united with us? Be part of History and see you soon patriots.

Payback is a bitch....these scum keep their women at home locked up...get pissed (so Islamic) and molest women whenever they can and they roam in numbers (cowards will never try that alone)...I would love to take 4-5 of these scum on me own if and when opportunity arises...

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

It's a little reminiscent of this:

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
Pill Snortin'

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Graic Gabtar posted:

The best pizza is a vegetarian with ham.

That doesn't sound vegetarian at all!!

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Anidav posted:

I don't feel like fighting.

Please see a medical professional and investigate if you have major depressive disorder or ADHD-PI

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

I don't know but the url doesn't fill me with hope

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
Oh well, I'm sure the students will be pleased with the fact that their hard-earned degrees are suddenly worth as much as they would be if they studied at a clown college.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
Speaking of pseudoscience:
http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/jan/18/chiropractic-board-australia-should-be-sacked-members-contentious-claims?CMP=soc_567

quote:

Chiropractic Board of Australia ‘should be sacked’ over members' contentious claims

The Chiropractic Board of Australia should be sacked because of its failure to take action against members making false and potentially dangerous health claims, an article in the Medical Journal of Australia argues.

Some chiropractors were falsely claiming to be able to treat people, including babies, for non-musculoskeletal diseases such as asthma, ear infections and pneumonia, the lead author of the paper, Dr Ken Harvey, said.

Others were promoting regular chiropractic care for pregnant women, claiming it could shorten labour and prevent caesarean sections, despite there being no good evidence that chiropractic treatment could do so.

Harvey, an adjunct associate professor with the department of preventive medicine at Monash University, wrote that he had submitted 10 complaints involving 38 chiropractors and 69 of their advertisements to the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (Ahpra) last year.

The advertisements were in breach of the Health Practitioner Regulation National Law Act of 2009, as well as the Chiropractic Board of Australia’s guidelines for advertising regulated health services, Harvey wrote.

“Of the 10 clinics involved, only one removed all the claims alleged to breach the national law. Another took down the website complained about, but the chiropractor concerned then made similar claims on another website. Of 69 claims alleged non-compliant with the national law, 43 [62%] currently remain non-compliant.”

Other websites non-compliant with national regulations had been found since then Harvey said, and five years had passed since the Chiropractic Board of Australia told its members to ensure their websites met legal requirements.

In 2013, it was reported that a baby’s neck had been broken by a chiropractor, and that the Chiropractic Board of Australia closed the case without reporting it to the public. (The findings of an Ahpra-commissioned report into the case, and how it became public, have been disputed.)

The board and Ahpra had failed to protect the public, Harvey told Guardian Australia.

“The chiropractic profession is split between those members who support evidence-based practice, and those who are involved in the more pseudoscientific and false aspects of the profession,” he said.

“The board being sacked and reconstituted with new blood committed to getting rid of the non evidence-based stuff, and to reforming the profession, is the only way forward.”

Guardian Australia has contacted Ahpra, which supports the Chiropractic Board of Australia, for comment.

The chief executive of the Consumers Health Forum, Leanne Wells, said the paper raised serious questions about the performance of the Australian Chiropratic Board and Ahpra.

It was time for health regulators to “end the farce surrounding chiropractors’ extravagant and spurious claims,” she said.

It is no laughing matter that the agencies purportedly established to protect consumers have shown, by their absence of effective action, little sign of putting patient interests first, the prime reason for their existence,” she said.

“The promotion of unproven therapies over several years begs the question about whether it is time for federal and state governments to intervene and reconstitute the regulatory oversight of chiropractors.”

The national president of Chiropractic Australia, Rod Bonello, said the Chiropractic Board of Australia did not handle advertising breaches, which were referred to and investigated by Ahpra.

He agreed with Harvey that Ahpra needed to do more to prevent false advertising about chiropractic treatments.

“When chiropractors depart unethical and irresponsible information, it is a disappointment, but it is in no way unique to chiropractors and is something that is a problem in all areas of health care,” Bonello said.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
I don't want to suggest that those 9 people who started legal proceedings against Bolt were wrong to do so, but an unfortunate side effect of the 18C thing is that he got a lot of media attention for a brief period (the kind of attention that professional trolls like him rely on) and now he's well enough known that he could always get some kind of media gig. He played the martyr card and now it's really easy for him to exploit the emotions of the uneducated and the far right.

Also, I have literally never seen a Masters IRL.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

TheHeadSage posted:

Mitre 10 has quality wood and stuff, as well as helpful people, where the Bunnings staff just grunt and hope you go away.

I'm 90% sure that Bunnings only pay junior wages, and that their recruitment/hiring process is largely based around making sure that they can do this as much as possible, so even if they are just grunting they are probably working harder than they should for their pay.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Starshark posted:

Why is Switzer writing for the Guardian?

I've never seen that many comments on a Guardian Facebook post before. Pushing 200 in less than an hour.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

gay picnic defence posted:

Also Google's doodle or whatever they call it is good

https://newmatilda.com/2016/01/26/the-worlds-most-popular-website-just-ripped-the-rug-out-from-under-australia-day/

quote:

In a stunning departure from convention, today’s ‘Google Doodle’ – the picture that adorns the Google logo, and changes based on the significance of the day – has delivered what surely must be the most overtly political statement in world Google history.

Over to Google for the explanation: “Doodle 4 Google 2015 was won by Ineka Voigt from Canberra High School in ACT, for her entry ‘Stolen Dreamtime’,” explains the corporate giant.

“In response to the theme of ‘If I could travel back in time I would…’ Ineka wrote “… I would reunite mother and child. A weeping mother sits in an ochre desert, dreaming of her children and a life that never was… all that remains is red sand, tears and the whispers of her stolen dreamtime”.

Ineka Voigt, with her winning artwork, entitled ‘Stolen Dreamtime’.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Zenithe posted:

Has applying for jobs always been complete bullshit or has anything changed in the past 7 years? I'm guessing I just got lucky in the past and forgot about it. Last 5 jobs I've applied for ask for a resume and force you to fill out what is basically your resume in boxes as part of the application process. Seems terribly inefficient.

Yeah, they'll do that. Also, you pretty much need to apply for 20 jobs a day to get anywhere. I was looking for work a few months back after a contract ended and got a fair bit of radio silence whenever I applied for jobs where the application process used one of those time-wasting online forms run by Talent2, Taleo, Revelian, Brassring etc. Then I tried putting job ads through a wordcloud generator and shoehorned the biggest words from the wordcloud into my resume and the online forms and suddenly most places called me back and I got offered 3 jobs in one week. If you can get past the automated filter that prevents 90% of resumes from ever being seen by human eyes, then you're suddenly only competing against 15-20 people instead of probably hundreds.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Frogmanv2 posted:

Having issues with this, can you walk me through what you did, maybe in a PM or something please.

All I did was look for keywords or re-occurring words in the job ad an put them in my resume (which was slightly different for every job I applied for). You don't really need to make a word cloud, just note their frequency and placement.

To be honest, I think the best way of getting around the online application blackhole is to contact the hiring manager directly somehow. Often the job ad will say something like "for any inquiries regarding the position contact [x]" and it's usually a good idea to talk to this person to get noticed. That said, directly sending your application to them will yield results that vary from an interview to instant rejection for not doing things the proper way.

Another thing, jobs that appear on industry specific job boards or on small relatively obscure websites are much easier to get because you're not competing against hundreds of people. Sometimes you can find some of these ads by typing the domain name (eg: taleo.net) of some of the more frequently encountered recruitment software in an advanced search on Google with "[x] jobs in [y city]. Often the search results will be job ads that haven't appeared on places like Indeed or Seek so you have less competition.

Zenithe posted:

So they resumes and cover letters are scanned electronically for certain phrases and denied if they don't have matches?

It's definitely been a factor in my experience.

Mr Chips posted:

Does putting all the keywords in as invisible text help with this? That way you can still have something human friendly, while passing the automated filters.

If you pass through the filter your resume gets converted into plain text and someone reads it, so doing this would gently caress you up at this stage.

Laserface posted:

Dont forget the job listings posted by recruiters that either A) capture data of people looking for work or B) positions that dont actually exist to harvest references and/or offer you less good, shittier positions.

I basically only apply for roles advertised with the employer directly, or where the role is advertised by a recruiter that actually has detailed information about the company they represent in the ad.

This is an important point too I think. Though sometimes the site hosting the ad will say something obviously scammy like "we may contact you about educational opportunities". Also, never apply for anything on Oneshift ever.

Anidav posted:

Can you share the wordcloud?

It was different for every ad I applied for :shrug:

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

Wait, how does it do this with pdfs?

I don't know, but I've definitely seen interviewers reading off of unformatted printouts of my resume.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
Tanya Plibersek has been the most preferred Labor leader basically the whole time Shorten has been leader. I don't know why people constantly talk about Albo instead. Is it because they don't think the Australian public would vote for a woman?

Amethyst posted:

Anyway why's everyone talking about Bowen being leader? That seems like the only choice worse than ol' Bill.

I don't know if they're basing this on anything or not, but replacing Shorten with some incredibly bland but factionally powerful vacuous windsock is exactly something that Labor Right/NSW Labor would do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
It's funny because replacing opposition leaders was completely routine until recently but now looks bad in the context of the past 6 years

• Locked thread