Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Yeah that's pretty interesting. It's strange that a loooot of other countries have similar consumption of alcohol, but don't have the weird problem with macho culture or anywhere near the same rate of domestic violence as we do. But the US, UK, NZ, and AU all have these similar issues with pressures to be macho and aggressive.

What is it about anglo men that makes them so angry? Loss of power through the slow dismantling of colonial and patriarchal power structures? (too slow IMO but that's just me)

Whatever it is, alcohol isn't to blame. It does contribute, so it's the easiest scapegoat for politicians and the media to point to so they don't have to address the underlying toxic culture. Hopefully it does start to make people more accountable for their own actions while drunk, but lol that's not gonna happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

turdbucket posted:

Maybe if you ate a vegan diet you wouldn't have to collect disability for being overweight.

living up to your name I see

ScreamingLlama posted:

The video in question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i15OPuFvmA

Honestly? gently caress vegans, especially those who feed their kids and/or pets vegan diets.

I don't mind vegans as long as they understand that There Is No Ethical Consumption Under Capitalism

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

See if you can get cable or nbn before signing up for ADSL, because those first two are extremely good and the last one is extremely, extremely poo poo.

ehhhh cable in some areas can be really poo poo during peak times due to congestion/lots of households on cable TV.

Also depends on how close you are to an exchange. We're really close to one on ADSL2+ and we get 24mbps.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Eloquent verbosity is the ultimate indicia of superior intellectual acumen.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Lid posted:

well given the communication etc. vague descriptions it seems the case used was rather than the person being for example psychopathic they were autistic (lack of eye contact, difficulty conversing) so unless they have a much better case it seems that rather than start a slippery slope its origins come from the slippery slope

The "good" part of the whole thing is the literacy and numeracy requirements.

But yeah it seems depending on how their methodology for psych assessments, they might exclude someone on the wrong basis.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Laserface posted:

How many 64ths indigenous is Stan Grant?

If you'd watched the actual video then you would actually know more about his heritage.

watch the video.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Albo would be better than Bubble-O-Bill, but he'd also be poo poo because his #1 favourite thing to do is attack the Greens instead of trying to work with them, because his seat is under threat :v:

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Birb Katter posted:

She's got my vote then :pervert:

Can you not

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

avatar-buyer, you do know that Federation was 1/1/1901, and it starts "Australians all let us rejoice"

right?

right?

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Hmm yes a person who literally belongs in the 1870s

I'd completely forgotten about the old version...rightly so, because it's poo poo.

The Before Times fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jan 26, 2016

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

Short animated film currently doing the festival circuit, based on recorded conversations with Manus Island detainees:

https://vimeo.com/152158702

Haven't seen it pick up much traction online and I doubt it's going to sway anyones opinion but it's very well made nonetheless.

<s>Typical leftie, trying to force people to feel sympathy for others.

</s>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

FEBRUARY THREAD IS UP

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3762587

• Locked thread