Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
Welcome to 2016 and the January edition of Auspol.

As we enter the second year of the Turnbull Government's 23 year reign let's hope that in 2016 Auspol continues it's unstoppable march of quality posting and mature debate. It's not off to a good start as I'm doing the thread. So last month...

Jamie Briggs

Abbott fanboy and table top dancer Jamie Briggs gifted Turnbull a near perfect smokescreen proving that Australia with it's puppy dog attention span enjoys scandal over a criminal investigation any day. Thankfully, Briggs' Hong Kong fantasy of living out drunken renditions of Khe Sanh when he was a Young bogan Liberal got the treatment it deserved. I'm sure Mrs. Briggs has been very impressed.

Prime Minister Turnbull gives the Member for Mayo some helpful tips on DFAT travel.

Some Other Guy

So to explain this one... Y'see it was.. gently caress it - copy/pasta from wikipedia:

quote:

Federal politics and diary allegations

In mid-2012, following the defection of Peter Slipper from the Liberals to become an Independent MP and Speaker of the House of Representatives, Brough announced that he was seeking LNP preselection for the seat of Fisher for the next federal election. On 29 July 2012, it was announced that had won the preselection for the seat, despite criticism over his contact with James Ashby. Ashby had been an adviser to Slipper who had made accusation of sexual harassment. Justice Steve Rares found that Mr Brough had acted with Mr Ashby and another Slipper staffer Karen Doane in abusing the judicial process for the "purpose of causing significant public, reputational and political damage to Mr Slipper". On 9 October 2012, Slipper resigned as Speaker following revelations of mobile phone text messages he had sent to Ashby, and was replaced by Anna Burke. In an early 2014 appeal ruling the full bench of the Federal Court found that Justice Rares had 'no basis to conclude that Brough was part of any combination with anyone in respect to the commencement of these proceedings with the predominant purpose of damaging Slipper in the way alleged or at all,' and that there was 'nothing untoward about those matters'.

Brough stood down from the Turnbull ministry and moved to the backbench on 29 December 2015 pending the completion of an investigation by the Australian Federal Police over the alleged copying of the diary of former speaker Peter Slipper. Jamie Briggs also resigned on the same day. Questions were raised over the holiday timing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mal_Brough#Federal_politics_and_diary_allegations

And I donate every year so get stuffed.

Prime Minister Turnbull casts his eye on one of the dumbest shits to draw breath.

Bread and Circuses

If your the kind of person who likes standing around a 44 gallon drum fire while poor people are forced at gunpoint to throw their money in then you would have LOVED the outcomes of the Royal Commission into trade unions. Australia has been stoked that $80 million were spent to discover that Kathy Jackson is allegedly a crook. Allegedly. And as referring former union thugs bosses to prosecutors for "possible" charges is like shooting fish in a barrel it's a quality outcome that there was one of those.

The rest of the month was poo poo. And it was Christmas so I wasn't paying much attention.

And the Government hosed over Gonski.

I'm going to re-post quite a bit of last month's OP as it's about 200% better than what I could put together:

Whos in politics?

The Australian Greens
Placed first since almost everyone who regularly posts in this thread is a member. The Greens are a left wing party of hippies who have unreasonable and impractical policy ideas and an infantile fascination with fairness and decency. They stubbornly refuse to give up and accept that the only way to make real change in the world is to roll over and accept neoliberal rule.

The Australian Labor Party
The ineffective and incompetent right wing opposition party led by an empty suit. Subject to numerous attempts at "change from within" that would be laughable if they weren't so sad. As an ineffective alternative to the government it has meekly agreed with almost everything the government wants to do that involves the brutal treatment and dehumanisation of refugees.

The Australian Liberal Party
The Liberal Party stands for just about every wrong headed thing you can think of. As a result they are wildly popular among both the rich shithead and poor shithead demographics. Sadly these are large demographics in Australia. They have recently been reaching out to the Fascist demographic as well. Their only saving grace is that they are so incompetent that they can't do so much as sneeze without making GBS threads themselves publicly.

Palmer United Party
A comedy party led by Mining magnate Clive Palmer who is the only person who rightly treats public office like the media circus it is. He bids outgoing members goodbye and rehashes popular dance songs into campaign jingles while dressing in fursuits.

The National Party
<placeholder>

The Australian Sex Party
Like the Greens but with human policies put above environmental ones the ASP is led by Fiona Patten and would like to see drugs legalised, abortion legalised, reduced religious influence in politics and a bunch of other touchy feely stuff. Unf.

Katters Australia Party
A more functional National party resident in Queensland led by Bob Katter, a ten gallon hat wearing homophobe.

There is an irc channel, #auspol on synirc where Australians discuss things, presumably dark spooky things that man was not meant to know.

IRC Rules: Dont be a shithead, dont say racist, sexist, or nasty things. Dont discuss verboten topics.

bumpunisher69

Heres a link to a past thread with more info in it. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3739446

Now on with the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
Good to see SFA happening in "do nothing" Victoria.

The only thing we change here now are number plate slogans.

Also, I can't believe I haven't been subscribing to the Australian. It just oozes class doesn't it?

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

gay picnic defence posted:

How does the government plan to get student loans back from people living overseas? Can they force you to declare your income, do they have any means of verifying it, and can they do anything about it if you give them a fake number?

If they are thinking of something like FATCA for say the UK and the US I'm going to laugh so hard I'll do myself an injury.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Cartoon posted:

I like the fact that these Neanderthals can't fathom that the strategy of burying this is completely undone by their outraged declarations of unfairness.

Logic gets thrown out the window when you're a seething Abbott supporter. The intent of any manufactured outrage seems purely to paint Turnbull as reactionary and heavy handed toward supporters of the former PM. Not at all like that fair minded Abbott.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Would other countries bother signing up if we did something like that? I can imagine nations being a bit unwilling to ignore a US or UK request to do stuff like that because those two actually have some clout on the world stage, but who would give a gently caress what a little tinpot state like us wants?

Very unlikely. FATCA is insane given there is zero benefit to the Australian financial sector - with those costs passed straight onto us. As you say, no other country is going to bear that burden unless they are forced to. So maybe some level of basic data sharing with debtors stung with a "no re-payment agreement/no leave" deal when they re-enter Australia will be the extent of it.

On another completely unrelated topic. Went to the supermarket before. 2nd January, hot cross buns.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

ewe2 posted:

They were in Coles on New Years Eve.

I'm sure they price crunched any small companies in the supply chain and paid poo poo wages to employees stacking them on shelves as well. Just a bit of the Coles truly magical spirit of the season.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

freebooter posted:

I for one thing hot cross buns are rad and would be happy to see them all year. Ditto easter eggs

Yeah maybe, but would they be special to you anymore? ;)

I have no personal sensibilities with regards to religion but I respect that many people do when it comes to blatant commercialization.

Can't you just buy chocolate and bake your own spicy treats through the year?

e: Or do what we do, put a poo poo load in the freezer.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Nice to know at least one of the photos slime bag took wasn't an up skirt.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

The ABC posted:

WA Labor in election-winning position in latest newspoll

Western Australian Premier Colin Barnett's grip on power has slumped just 15 months out from the state election, a poll out today shows.

The Newspoll, published in The Australian newspaper, shows the Labor Party has increased its primary vote from 33 to 42 per cent in the past six months.

Labor now leads the Coalition 53 to 47 per cent on a two-party-preferred basis.

This could give Labor a two-party-preferred swing of 10 per cent, which would allow it to claim 10 seats and form Government.

It is the first time Labor has lead the Coalition since Mr Barnett came to power in 2008.

Veteran political analyst Peter Kennedy said the Coalition had only itself to blame for the slump in the poll.

"One of the problems for the Government has been the deteriorating budget position," he said.

"I think its reputation as an economic manager, or financial manager, is on the line and that's where Labor has been making inroads.

"The good result for Labor sets the battle lines for the rest of the year and Mr Barnett will have the job ahead of him to peg Labor back."

Cabinet reshuffle, financial management key to retaining power

The Government has battled a worsening budget position on the back of a plunging iron ore price.

Mr Barnett has campaigned for the state to secure a greater share of GST revenue in order to fill budgetary black holes.

The Mid Year Economic Financial Outlook released last month projected the Government's deficit would balloon to $3.1 billion by the end of the financial year.

This will eclipse the state budget estimate in May of $2.7 billion.

Mr Kennedy said the only good news for the Government was it still had time before Western Australia went to the polls in March next year.

"Still 15 months out from the next elections, so there's plenty of time for Mr Barnett to turn the ship around," he said.

"Remember he will have a reshuffle of the Cabinet very shortly, and that will be an important opportunity to get his team in place to face the election early next year.

"I think the reshuffle of the Cabinet and also the budgetary position will be crucial in deciding who wins next year."

Labor leader Mark McGowan has also increased his popularity among voters.

He leads Mr Barnett as preferred premier, 41 to 36 per cent.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-04/wa-labor-in-election-winning-position-in-latest-newspoll/7065794

Who could have predicted digging poo poo out of the ground would not lead to gold paved streets!?!

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Amoeba102 posted:

Yeah, it's been there for a while but I only just saw it recently.

Never been despite going to Tasmania a few times a year. On the list, but I don't know if I want to explain a bunch of exhibits to four wide eyed children.

I'm told that you can rate exhibits there. The kicker is that the ones down voted actually get moved to more prominent places.

Also, apparently there is a balcony cafe there that serves awesome chips, c/d?

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
DSE used to sell stuff to make cool stuff.

Now they just sell poo poo to the ignorant consumer fooled by their '80s credibility.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
Who knew Anidav has such a passion and a well of knowledge for defunct (or near defunct) electronic chains!

I've tried Jaycar for one of my nerdy hobbies and I've basically given up on them. The biggest challenge as a hobbiest is finding out what they have. And small purchases are a killer. Although I'm ashamed to admit it I use eBay pretty much 100% now. It seems sellers are much more incentivised to articulate what they have, eBay's search isn't too bad and you can buy across many sellers at minimal cost.

Buy at minimal cost your own peril though. You get what you pay for so quality can be hit and miss. There are now a lot of Autralian based e-stores that front Chinese manufacturers now so quality can be less of a problem once you find some of them. I always buy from another state as I've found some suppliers get very aggressive if you complain as they don't want negative eBay feedback. I don't want them landing on my doorstep.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Anidav posted:

If you get involved in online debates about economic history, it won't be long before someone tells you that the West is rich because it stole the resources of the regions it colonized. This stolen-wealth theory is cited as the reason Britain and France are rich today, while Ethiopia and Burundi are poor. It also is sometimes used to argue that global capitalism is inherently unjust and that wealth must be radically redistributed between nations as compensation.

The problem is, the stolen-wealth theory is wrong.

Oh, it's absolutely true that colonial powers stole natural resources from the lands they conquered. No one disputes that. And at the time, this definitely made the colonized regions a lot poorer. Britain, for example, caused repeated famines in India by raising taxes on farmers and by encouraging the cultivation of cash crops instead of subsistence crops. That is a pretty stark example of destructive resource extraction.

It's also probably true that this stolen wealth helped much of the West get rich. Of course, Western countries didn't simply consume the resources they plundered -- the global economy isn't just a lump of wealth that gets divvied up, but rather relies on the productive efforts of individuals, companies and governments. The U.K., for example, was able to industrialize not by consuming spices confiscated from India, but because its citizens invented power looms and steam engines and other technologies, and because its people worked very hard at factories and plants that used those technologies.

But steam engines and power looms and other industrial machinery required raw materials like coal and rubber as inputs. When those materials became less expensive, it became cheaper to substitute machines for human labor. That means that some of the resources stolen from colonies probably did give Britain and France part of the boost they needed to jump-start the industrialization that eventually made them wealthy.

So if the West did steal resources from colonized nations, and if this theft did help them get rich, why do I say that the stolen-wealth theory is wrong? I say that because the theory doesn't explain the global distribution of income today. It is no longer a significant reason why rich countries are rich and poor countries are poor. The easiest way to see this is to observe all the rich countries that never had the chance to plunder colonies. Germany, Italy, Sweden, Denmark and Japan had colonial empires for only the very briefest of moments, and their greatest eras of development came before and after those colonial episodes. Switzerland, Finland, and Austria never had colonies. And South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore and Hong Kong were themselves colonies of other powers. Yet today they are very rich. They did it not by theft, but by working hard, being creative, and having good institutions.

Meanwhile, poor countries have long since taken control of their natural resources. State-controlled oil companies in countries such as Saudi Arabia, Venezuela, Iran and Russia own far more of the world's oil than do giant Western corporations like Exxon or BP. African countries control their own mines, and Latin American countries their own crop land. The era of resource theft by rich countries is over and done.

Yet still, somehow, these countries are not very rich. Only a small handful of tiny nations whose economies are based on natural resources -- Brunei, Kuwait and Qatar among others -- are actually rich. Most are poor, despite controlling all of their own wealth. This sad fact is known as the resource curse. So it's unlikely that resource-rich countries would have become industrialized but for the depredations of colonialism. And it seems quite possible that colonial nations such as France and the U.K. would have gotten rich without their resource plunder, as did Germany, South Korea, Switzerland and Taiwan.

Does that mean colonialism was a benign institution? Definitely not. At a bare minimum, the tens of millions killed by colonial conquests and famines leave an indelible stain on the West. And while colonialism had benefits in some places, in many others it left a nasty legacy that is felt to this day. Many economic studies show that regions where colonizers focused on extracting resources were later cursed with pernicious political institutions. Those regions, even today, exhibit poor economic performance.

So colonializing nations did steal resources, and it did hurt colonies by doing it. But the real tragedy is how unnecessary that all was. Britain and France would have gotten rich without plundering Africa, India and Southeast Asia. All of that violence and conquest was probably for nothing.

Tell me, is Africa a better or worse continent since 1957?

I'm not a fan of colonization but I am a believer in sensible transitions.

(Also white spacing mate.)

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Not men though.

What's the rationale behind this? I'd scoop out my own eyes before I watched an episode of ACA.

I can see it now, "The Running Bludger" - a new reality program brought to you by Channel Nine!

If it's single mothers they're hunting down I'd say that horse has already bolted.

A referral to counselling for family planning options for long, long term unemployed who have their umpteenth kid? I would at least listen to that discussion, but its a shame so many people will take this seriously.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

In today's junk mail. I think I'll wait for the fire sale.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Read any of Gary Johns' op-ed pieces from the past few years and you'll get an idea.

Or don't, since they're garbage.

Jesus, trust me I won't.

Good luck depending on aged care down the track Gary with the rest of the horde. How many kids does he have I wonder? If he doesn't have anyone I hope he's looking forward to lying in his own piss for half a day at a time.

e: A trip in the time machine people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deNlBLAXsxU

Graic Gabtar fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jan 4, 2016

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Barnaby Joyce: I hope we don't become too politically correct after Briggs, Dutton affairs
Deputy Nationals Leader Barnaby Joyce says he hopes Australian politics doesn't become "sterile" and overly political correct following outrage over the behaviour of…

Doesn't he mean "deliberately barren"?

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
auspol - all the big issues.

I don't care what you call them. I just enjoy a sausage with some bread product and deep fried potato noms.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

I've become too desensitised to that sort of thing to get angry about it, try harder next time.

It's one thing to have a very divisive policy endorsed by the two major paries. However, its very much a different cat to see it applied with complete incompetence.

As a mainly conservative voter (and with no empirical research) my comment to you is - getting "get angry" about the later would appeal to more people I know than the former. Which is part of the outcome you want and would even be supported by scum like me.

So, unless your just being flippant - don't be a quitter.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Maybe, and I'm just spitballing here, we should drag these people out of bed in the middle of the night and shoot them dead in the street

If we can go one for one with Greens senators I'm all in.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Zenithe posted:

Check out the whole conversation, it's pretty amazing.

Almost as amazing as an elected leader having a conversation like this in full view of the public.

https://twitter.com/DavidLeyonhjelm/status/684128757796352000

I'm amazed that you're amazed by what a hard core Libertarian says to anyone and on what platform.

Be nice if he dropped the "c bomb" on The Bolt Report though.

e: Ha! Any publicity is good publicity:

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-po...105-gm03xj.html

Graic Gabtar fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 6, 2016

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

TheMightyHandful posted:

gently caress people.

Yep.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Birb Katter posted:

Came by boat no less

Unrelated:

Jesus.

I checked my calendar and it's not April 1st.

Is my iPhone completely rekt?

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Ian Winthorpe III posted:

I sympathize a lot with the female reporter in this circumstance: Gayle was hardly behaving like Hitler but cricket is a gentleman's game and it would have been the gentlemanly thing to show her respect as a sports journalist -she's put in a lovely situation whereby she can't really neutralize his flirting and do her job without coming across as 'bitchy' or a 'victim'.

It's an unfair situation and I can understand why many women interpret this gratuitous, public, bullying masculinity as an assault on their gender and their personhood. Unfortunately, the Progressive denial of the intrinsic differences between men and women is fundamentally absurd and if we want to avoid the nightmare scenario of our public institutions and debate being ground to a halt by dumpy cat ladies and tortured white knight virgins, then we're going to have to get serious about banning women from public life, submitting ourselves to the will of Allah and accepting the perfect order of the world he created.

Fred Trueman once asked about the gentle, gentlemanliness of cricket on live television responded with, "My idea of a gentleman is someone who gets out of the bath to have a piss."

That's all I got.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Ian Winthorpe III posted:

Good when i'm enjoying the sound and spectacle of a chinese new years parade

Bah, disappointed. I thought you were going to say that 'Australian Chinese' buffet night at the RSL was grouse.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Frogmanv2 posted:

I actually conversed with Scott Ludlam about this, and he convinced me that nuclear power is not right for Australia. It's not needed, it will take too long, the risks are too high compared to other generation methods and as long as there is humans in control of the systems, there will always be a giant glaring weak spot.

That's not to say it's not right for other nations, but it's not right for Australia.

I agree 100%. However, having policy to not involve Australia in any aspect of waste reprocessing and/or storage is real head in the sand stuff after being very responsible for letting the uranium genie out of the bottle.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Why are people talking about Joyce as Deputy PM today? Did people finally remember Truss existed only to check in on him and find out he died months ago?

Many months ago.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

hooman posted:

For example anyone lobbying to shut down or not replace the lucas heights reactor is an idiot because it is a vital and necessary supplier of short half life radio-medical treatment and diagnostic items.

I'm sure a few people have heard of it/seen it but a recent doco Twisting the dragon's tail gives a fairly good overview of Lucas Heights and the short term viability of nuclear medicine. Kind of makes the Greens leap of faith future technology argument look like the equivalent of 'clean coal'. A bit lame to be honest.

EXAKT Science posted:

Yeah tell that to the birds you loving monster

Early days but this might not be a problem forever:

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/537721/bladeless-wind-turbines-may-offer-more-form-than-function/

Unless birds go all Hitchcock before that in which case, we'll all be hosed coal or no coal.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

xPanda posted:

What do you mean by this? I watched that doco and I don't remember any shenanigans regarding nuclear medicine. What I do remember of the doco are the concluding remarks, which said that we've pretty much missed the boat with nuclear and that if we have to make a decision right now (which we do) that we should go renewable.

You sure you didn't see the overview of Lucas Heights and then in hospital with the cancer patient in remission? They demonstrated just how short the half-life of nuclear medicine can be.

The show was a partnership between PBS and SBS. Which version did you see? I saw the PBS version. Maybe there were differences in editing?

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
I dug up the transcript. My emphasis.

TTDT posted:

But there are other dangerous radioactive fission fragments in there with much shorter half-lives.
And the astounding thing is some of these can be used to save lives.
In this unremarkable building, they take what makes Chernobyl so dangerous, and they make a life-saving medicine.
All right, I am all set, suited up, and ready to go into Australia's one and only nuclear reactor.
This is not a power reactor.
It is a research reactor, and here they create medicine and technology.
The medicine they make here is called technetium-99m.
-COMPUTER: Please enter and pause until counting has finishe.
-MULLER: But what's really exciting is where they make it.
-Okay.
Please proceed.
-This is a nuclear reactor.
It's actually an open-pool reactor, which means that the core is visible 12 meters underneath that water.
You can see a blue glow down there, which is actually called Cherenkov radiation, and what that is is electrons moving through the water faster than light can move through the water.
And that creates what's kind of like an optical sonic boom.
That's the blue glow of light which forms a cone behind every electron.
Down there, they are splitting uranium atoms into fragments.
It's the first step in making the medicine technetium-99m.
Technetium-99m has a half-life of just six hours.
It's a crucial medicine used to detect cancer.

Here I met up with Jason.
-MAN: It was actually 2001, and I was playing Australian rules football, and it was a pain in my leg, and it just got worse and worse, and I assumed I had a hip injury and saw an orthopedic surgeon, expecting a hip operation, and he said, "You've got a tumor about that long in your leg.
" There's a few key tests, but this one is the key test.
-MULLER: So, what do you reckon? Should you be radioactive? -BATSON: [ Chuckles ] You're gonna tell me.
[ Device beeping slowly ] -MULLER: You don't seem very radioactive.
That reading is about the same as everywhere around this hospital.
And now the highly radioactive technetium-99m is injected into Jason.
[ Device beeping rapidly ] I'm getting an alarm off that.
This is the kind of level of radiation we saw in Chernobyl.
-MAN: Injecting now.
-MULLER: And what they're injecting you with is actually fragments of uranium.
-There you go.
-MULLER: [ Laughs ] Doesn't freak you out? [ Chuckles ] -My eyes are open, and I'm breathing.
-MULLER: [ Laughs ] [ Device beeping rapidly ] As you can hear from my Geiger counter, I'm getting close to a radioactive source.
In this case, it's Jason.
He is actually emitting lots of gamma rays right now.
And in the same way that my Geiger counter picks up these gamma rays, this machine is actually detecting those gamma rays and making a picture out of them, because technetium gathers at the site of fast-growing cancers.
And that allows us to determine if there are any tumors in Jason's body because they'll be glowing quite brightly.
So this allows us to spot cancer earlier and treat it better.
But what about Jason, who's now full of radioactive technetium-99m? Well, that's where the six-hour half-life kicks in.

[ Device ringing ] -MULLER: Yeah, 240, 300! Look at that! That bit of you is going off.
-Wow.
-MULLER: I saw something similar when I was a few hundred meters from the Chernobyl reactor that blew up.
[ Laughs ] -It's amazing.
-MULLER: Have you heard about half-life? Have you heard that term before? -No.
-Half-life means how long it takes for half of the stuff they've put in you to decay.
So, when it's reading right now around 200 microsieverts an hour, the half-life of the substance that they put in you is about six hours.
So, in six hours, this should be reading 100.
-Yeah.
-In another six hours, it'll read 50, and then 25 and so on.
So it cuts in half every six hours.
-Every six hours.
Yeah.

Orkin Mang posted:

i wish graig gabtar was in a coma :(

Well is a waking coma good enough?

Orkin Mang said my name!

BBJoey posted:

I think he was asking about your"Kind of makes the Greens leap of faith future technology argument look like the equivalent of 'clean coal'. A bit lame to be honest." statement, which I too do not understand. There's no future technology involved - currently, considering the cost and time it takes to build a nuclear power plant, renewables are a much more cost-effective and realistic proposal than creating an Australian nuclear power industry from scratch. If you're using Lucas Heights as an example of how Australia could jump to nuclear power you've missed that the HIFAR is a medical reactor which is much less complicated than a full-fledged powerplant.

I think you misunderstand me. I was referring to the Greens policy on nuclear medicine.

Greens posted:

The Australian Greens want:

Closure of the OPAL nuclear reactor at Lucas Heights and development of non-reactor technologies, such as particle accelerators, for the production of radioisotopes for medical and scientific purposes.

We should not be considering building any nuclear power plants - that ship has sailed (and was probably never in port given our energy security). We already have one for medical purposes. No need for any more.

Citing your references (once) - achievement unlocked. Now that I've done that I'm off to make potato salad.

Graic Gabtar fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jan 7, 2016

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Argh! The clichéd snippets of text that litter that trailer are terrible. I think that might be the millionth time you'll see Yeats / Chinua Achebe shat on as well.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

SeekOtherCandidate posted:

you're wrong about nuclear and the fact that you've paired it with gmos is a dead giveaway that you're mostly a fan because of the bizarre first world nerd fetishisation of science and new technology as a substitute for religion and australia will never need and should never use nuclear power

hth

Agree with you about power, but what are your views on nuclear medicines?

Graic Gabtar fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 8, 2016

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Count Chocula posted:

I was in the audience for Doctor Karl's Challenge of Change/Intergenerational Report ad (they paid me in Coles vouchers) and during the between-take banter, audience Q&As, interesting factoids and plugs for his books I challenged his claim about the dangers of GMOs; he said he'd look into it.

That whole experience was weird - it was shot by Peter Weir's Oscar-winning cinematographer in a studio the size of an airplane hanger.

Well, maybe you were just like a Coles employee for a brief time?

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
I'm not going to say this is a good thing but it sounds like a bit of a typical beat up on a certain religion.

Wind back the clock.

The Age posted:

Facility for sex offenders to be expanded at Ararat

The facility housing some of Victoria worst sex offenders will be expanded to hold more of the former prisoners on supervision orders.

The state government will announce on Friday the capacity of the facility - which houses offenders who have finished their sentences but are deemed to be an unacceptable risk of reoffending - will be increased from 40 beds to 55 at the cost of $3 million, and that work will begin next month.

The village-style complex, called Corella Place, is located next to the prison in the western Victorian town of Ararat. There are no walls surrounding the facility, but the offenders living there are monitored with GPS ankle bracelets and cannot leave without permission.

''The existing residential facility plays an essential role in the management and ongoing rehabilitation of Victoria's most serious sex offenders,'' Corrections Minister Ed O'Donohue said.

Many tax payers "unwittingly" fully fund these facilities as well, but it's not presented as an angle in the article above.

As abhorrent as these individuals can be you have to house them somewhere. If the Catholic church wants to pick up the bill so be it.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Mad Katter posted:

I think the most problematic part about the story is that the victims receive relatively little support from the church in comparison to their abusers.

Yes it's the quite obvious angle of the story, but it's still a beat up.

A simple Google shows that the offenders named were in the article are/were supported by the church for around ten years each. One is dead. Not hard to rack up "hundreds of thousands of dollars" to be honest. They should have reported that so that readers know the rivers of gold have stopped for at least one of them.

If you want to write an article about lovely payments to victims of crimes then do that. Unless they draw comparisons between Church vs. State funding for a similar thing as well then it just reads like a junk article.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

The Peccadillo posted:

Rehabilitation of sexually abusive convicts as a public project and private payments to offenders from the body they were facilitated by are very different things, with very different rubrics and aims, and they do not replace eachother

Fair enough, but are the financial objectives any different? Does it really matter? The public system is to protect others. Anyone else has been deemed an 'acceptable risk' will live in society. So regardless, these people's living costs will be funded one way or another. Obviously this is a highly emotive issue as the Catholic Church cannot put up a plausible argument that they have not been complicit in these crimes over many decades and it's obviously damage control under the guise of the church 'caring for their own'. However, the article making a link between payments paid to victims and the church supporting those convicted financially over a long period of time is a pointless one put there play on that emotion.

Senor Tron posted:

Well in the government funded program it's expressly for the purpose of keeping them away from children. Is there anything showing that the Church programs involve round the clock seperation of the offenders from youth?

The state is responsible in deciding who is too dangerous to be released into society. If there was too much of a risk of them reoffending then they would be at Ararat. If there were conditions placed on them as a part of release, e.g. proximity to children then they or the church would not be above the law. The same as any other person working, on a pension or being funded by friends or relatives who have been convicted with the same crimes. Are these people monitored around the clock?

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Birb Katter posted:

Thread has been pretty quiet lately so let's get back on track. Should sausages be called sangas or sandwiches? Can they both be sangas so you can have a sanga sanga?

Sausage in bread.

They are not sandwiches

Also, with the exception of a democracy sausage which is a God given right - sausage in bread or hotdog?

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Anidav posted:

People actually exist who call burgers sandwiches.

People cannot distinguish between bread and bun.

A Big Mac Sandwich please!

I exist. I'll often call a burger a sandwich.

A legacy of time in the US I guess. I think the naming convention is something like:

Sliders - small burgers, usually served three at a time as bar snacks etc.
Sandwiches - hand sized burger, kind of like a rissole in a roll. "Here mate, have a rissole"
Burger - some loving ginormous heart attack on a bed of fries.

I'm assuming there are plenty of other regional variations.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

You Am I posted:

My first customer was Megan
She came in for a hamburger with the lot no meat
"Hey, that's a salad roll", I said
And we started going out

The best pizza is a vegetarian with ham.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Vladimir Poutine posted:

That doesn't sound vegetarian at all!!

I didn't say it was! A vegetarian pizza usually has the best imaginative ingredients not stodgy or by the numbers.

Ham just makes it awesome.

It's like going to Gopal's on Swanston St in Melbourne and being able to take in a nicely cooked eye fillet.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

hooman posted:

I have no idea what either of those are.

Sounds a bit loving la-de-da for auspol doesn't it?

hooman posted:

Goats Cheese Vegetarian Pizza with Lamb is the best you pleb.

Sounds good! Anything with a face, pile it on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Heh, heh, heh. "Meat"

• Locked thread