Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Happy new year auspoo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Thread favourite Chris Kenny is here to explain why it is not a big deal:

If the incident was so innocent, then why have they held back the details (unless it's for legal reasons)? You'd think that if the government were being proactive about (even minor) misconduct that they would be happy to publicise it. Yet from the way they are talking about it, it seems like they just want the whole thing to disappear. The quality of punditry in this country is pretty abysmal.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Maybe he should keep walking from the front bench, all the way out of the door.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Don't mind my tongue in your ear. That's my personal way of saying hello. Women are just incapable of understanding it.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Cleretic posted:

As I recall, Ludlam went over the reasons the Greens aren't pro-nuclear last year, and it was something along the lines of 'it's better than what we do have now, but it's not better than what we could have now'.

'could' is the operative word here. What we end up with is WA recommissioning a coal plant for 250 million.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

BBJoey posted:

and so the solution is building a multi-billion dollar nuclear reactor instead?

No, but the problem still remains that a confluence of events led to the recommissioning of a coal plant.

There is a disconnect between the way The Greens talk about the maturity of the technology and the reality. It's just frustrating to hear how everything's good on the renewables front, and then seeing project after project being postponed and coal plants left to run past their use-by.

Why isn't something like Muja station not brought to national attention and discussed alongside alternatives. It's the first time I've heard of it. Spending 250 million on 240MW of power (while a little cheaper then new, iirc) isn't exactly a bargain when corroded pipes led to an explosion, and more recently a coolant tower collapsed. It's a shame that all I ever hear from them are pie in the sky plans, whereas I never hear about poo poo like this.

Tokamak fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jan 7, 2016

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

open24hours posted:

Drugs in [professional] sport: an issue for the federal government (or state, for that matter)?

Considering that most sports played at the national level involve athletes that compete at the international level... Then it is a government issue. The government makes a large investment into the development of athletes and sporting organisations, so it only makes sense to hold professional athletes to international standards.

Besides if you are a sport that doesn't compete internationally like the AFL, do you really want to carry a reputation for not giving a poo poo about drug use? Take a look at professional wrestling if you want to plumb the depths of a sport with token drug testing.

- A 70 year old man

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Amethyst posted:

Not really Auspol specific but it's come up a number of times before and this is a good examination of it. The thin promises of the Sharing Economy vs the reality

https://www.policyalternatives.ca/publications/monitor/apploitation-city-instaserfs

This article was based on a series of podcasts/companion articles that went up last year. The host joined a bunch of sharing economy apps, discussed his experiences, and talked to both customers and other app workers that he ran into. It's a really good listen for anyone who reads this thread.

https://toe.prx.org/2015/06/instaserfs-i-of-iii/

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

:pedo:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

How does one throw stones in a glass house? Very carefully.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Bold move, but it's a safe liberal seat in North Sydney. If she doesn't apologise for being financially successful and does some Trump rhetoric about not letting muslims invade her sleepy coastal suburbs, she will probably increase her lead.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

The only way Bill Snorten will become PM.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

freebooter posted:

Help me, Auspol: I'm moving to my own place with no housemates and a real lease for the first time like an adult and I've realised I have to hook up all my own utilities.

What's Australia's least-bad internet service provider?

I got a quote from Telstra for $75 a month for 100 gigs and the iinet website says I can have 1000 gigs for $70, what, that doesn't even begin to make sense, what's going on

tpg for budget conscious nerds.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Goodpart posted:

A not-insignificant amount of primary school teachers "just love kids" and will announce it at every given opportunity as if it's their most important qualification. Day loving one of uni in a b.Ed and you're doing the stupid meet and greet bullshit, the question gets asked: "Why do you want to be a teacher?" -- the response from the primary school lot was exactly what you'd expect, and almost all of them were denser than a second coat of paint.

They are universally terrible, educationally speaking.

Ironically this is one of the understated qualities of a good teacher. You kind of have to be a bit dumb, and willing to put up with a lot of bullshit 'for the kids'.

If you are getting into education with a respect for knowledge and a desire to provide rich learning experiences (as described in something like the Quality Teaching Framework), then you are setting yourself up for a lot of pain as novice teacher. I felt really bad whenever I resorted to using a more traditional textbook based approach (which was all the time). When I discovered that veteran teachers spent their holidays coming up with one or two sets of quality lessons, I felt less bad about myself and more frustrated with the profession of teaching.

I understand the motivation behind a personality test to weed unsuitable teachers out, but I can't see it working in practice. It is pretty easy to bullshit out the qualities of a good teacher (which you constantly hear from lecturers or at an open day sales pitch). The sort of personality problems that might get picked up on a personality test (poor communication/English skills) will almost certainly manifest when the student undertakes a prac. In other words, it seems like a personality test is attempting to band aid problems associated with how practicums are rubber-stamped, instead of being used for their intended purpose.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

asio posted:

Easy comrade, this is a good thing. Western Sydney Uni should be enrolling as many local students as possible, for all the good education gives. It is also ideologically correct that the government provide financially, in fact, the government should be paying all of the cost.

It's an outcome of your rottern arse that "they're admitting any idiot now". Who do you think you are with that last bit?

Besides, ATAR requirements are in proportion to a course's popularity. There is a reason why Science, Mathematics, and Chinese Herbal Medicine degrees have lower requirements than Medicine and Law. The statistics actually show that universities are artificially puffing up their admission requirements for prestige and to lure in students (higher requirements = 'better' course).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Dude has really stopped giving a poo poo ever since he got canned. It is 'me time' as far as his political views are concerned.

• Locked thread