Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Geocaching is cool and good and sometimes requires hiking out in the wilderness talk about it here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mathlete
Nov 30, 2005

It's hip to be a squared square.
Do you use a smartphone to find your caches? A dedicated gps? A bloodhound trained to pick up the scent of aspergers?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

*opens box that has inside it 50 plastic butterfly trinkets* hell yes son getin

Boko Haram
Dec 22, 2008

Millennials still cashing in on geocaching

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
geocaching's not so bad

i once found a geocache by accident and it had a visitor book with a wide range of people's messages in it (seemed to be a lot of geek dads + kids) and was in a cool location (wreckage of a world war 2 plane that crashed on a training mission out on the moors)

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That reminds me... If you're ever in San Francisco and visit the Presidio, go hike around the cliffsides. There's a bunch of old WW2 gun emplacements there that I thought were neat to go look at. Frankly I'm suprised nobody's renovated them into a concrete house with a god-tier view of the bay like those French WW2 bunkers.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I instruct people in Geocaching, but I kind of hate it?

They refer to non-geocachers as muggles ffs.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Free Market Mambo posted:

I instruct people in Geocaching, but I kind of hate it?

They refer to non-geocachers as muggles ffs.

Wait really? hahaha

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
lmao

http://www.wikihow.com/Deal-With-Geocaching-Muggles

quote:

If a muggle is approaching, put your GPS to your ear and pretend that it's a cell phone.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

wow, rude

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster

holy loly

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

white people ruin everything

e;

quote:

When a muggle approaches do, do not start walking away quickly, run away, or jump into your car and drive away. This will create even more suspicion, and the muggle will probably think that you've committed a crime.

:laffo:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
My hiking buddy and I have found geocashing websites a great place to learn about parks and more importantly, parking areas, that we haven't found yet. We have also discussed starting our own offshoot where you hide airplane bottles of liquor in the woods and people drink and replace them when found.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

This is embarrassing dumb

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
(not that active) geocacher here.

Only 130 finds until now, placed my own cache, and got a couple of lackey tags on my way around the world.

Normally I use either a dedicated GPS (Garmin eTrex 10) or my smartphone.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

I like it because I like having a constantly-rotating hoard of trinkets. I mostly geocache while I wait for buses, but I'm in Seattle so there's pretty much one within 1/4 mile of my location at all times.

Nubcakes
Jan 11, 2009

If it isn't broken...
Take it apart and improve it!
109 finds over 8 years here. I use a Garmin GPSmap 60CSx. Back when I got started phone GPS were a little too dodgy to rely on for my liking.

You can make Geocaching as easy or hard as you want. Some caches are literately old film canisters tucked in a street sign less than a foot off a side walk. Others are nestled in ship wreckage somewhere in lake Michigan(actual cache: https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC1D6ZQ_fireboat-shipwreck-divecache).

I usually like to go find caches in parks and just crisscross in B-lines from cache to cache off the trails. I always see things I've never seen before on the way to each cache; plant formations, tree shapes, odd terrain. Geocaching is more of an excuse to explore patches of wilderness in the local parks for me.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

The only cool geocaching story I've heard came from a friend who was in SF. Another team had gone and somehow gotten a cooler full of beer to the top of some difficult peak in North Carolina's mountains, and buried it there for another team to find. It was my friend's team who found it, so they got drunk on top of a mountain. Seems like the only real way to do it.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

that's cool as hell. i'd be worried about beer going bad though

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER
I wonder how many geocaches are just a big ol' poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
And risk the wrath of pudgy white guys in fleece vests?

• Locked thread