Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

How do I join the powerball? I want the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

I would be terrified to turn in a winning ticket. It's like putting a huge target on your back for every scumbag out there to come try to take your money from you. I would probably wait until the last possible day it was valid and hope that most people had forgotten how big the jackpot was.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

MrChupon posted:

I think you'd probably want to turn it in halfway through the valid period to allow the press to cool down about the jackpot story. Wait until the last day and they'll ramp up again with 'unclaimed giant jackpot' type stories.

True, true. Lotto winner problems!

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

I didn't win. And I already spent all the money on credit cause I was sure I was going to win this time!!

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Lady in front of me in line dropped $80 in tickets. How much have you guys seen?

I dropped $10 in voluntary taxes because...A BILLION loving DOLLARS!

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

edit: nm actually I think the prize value signs have a point between numbers, so they could show 1.34 maybe.

Sophy Wackles fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jan 10, 2016

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

I hit the match 5 jackpot after only 16 thousand years on the simulator! No powerball jackpot though. :(

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Tots posted:

Maybe this is all a tax related political play and no one will ever win the jackpot and it'll just disappear in a month

State, local and federal governments are already going to take about 70% of the jackpot with the lump sum option.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

These poor scrubs thought they won Saturday, but they were mistakenly looking at numbers from last Wednesday. There is even a video of them celebrating the win.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/these-workers-mistakenly-thought-theyd-won-powerball-on-saturday-2016-01-13

quote:

Workers at a New Jersey restaurant jumped for joy when they thought they’d hit the Powerball jackpot, scoring Saturday’s $949 million prize.

But the celebration at Grissini’s Restaurant in Englewood Cliffs came to an abrupt end when employees realized they’d mistakenly compared Wednesday’s winning numbers to their Saturday ticket.

“It was like getting punched in the stomach,” said Charles Poveromo, 55, who’s worked as a bartender at the restaurant for 13 years.

Poveromo said 42 employees pooled their money and bought $210 worth of tickets.

On Saturday, his friend texted him the latest Powerball numbers — but failed to realize the website hadn’t been updated yet, and it was still showing Wednesday’s winning combination, he said.

“I picked up my phone and start calling out the numbers to everyone here,” Poveromo said.

“All the numbers matched our tickets. Then pandemonium hit. There was just so much joy, and I can’t put into words the feelings of euphoria that we all felt.”

A video posted on YouTube captured the brief moment of bliss, showing staffers hooting and hollering for joy, believing they’d become instant millionaires.

A dishwasher even took his apron off, yelling out, “I’m outta here! I quit!,” general manger Mike Devincenzi, 47, told The Post.

Then Poveromo called his wife, who said they should double-check the numbers. That’s when they realized the numbers were from the wrong day.

“When we found out, it was like a balloon deflating,” Poveromo said.

The dishwasher who threatened to quit laughed and put his apron back on, saying, “Back to work,” Devincenzi added.

In a Facebook post, the eatery posted a picture of their Saturday ticket with Wednesday’s winning numbers: 2, 11, 47, 62, 63 and 17. No one won the Wednesday drawing, which had a $528 million prize.

But Poveromo still relishes his brief taste of victory.

“For 20 minutes, it was real,” he said. “It’s a shame we didn’t win, but I wouldn’t trade that feeling for anything.”

And despite the crushing mix-up, they’re still playing this week’s lottery, hoping to take home the $1.5 billion jackpot on Wednesday, he said.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Meta Ridley posted:

Can any statistics pros answer a question?

Humans are really bad at picking random numbers. We subconsciously associate images, colors, life events, etc with them, especially lower numbers 1-31. Assuming that this is true and that the 32-69 pool of numbers is neglected by human pseudo-RNG, wouldn't that make the odds of winning vs a true RNG lower?
I know each combination, including 1 2 3 4 5 pb6, has an equal chance of pulling, but if humans weigh lower drawn numbers more than higher drawn numbers, wouldn't that overall decrease the chance of winning vs an RNG that has an truly equal weight to all numbers? Or is the only thing affected the collision rate vs other human picks?

Why would it? The winning numbers are rng, therefore all combinations have equal chance of winning. However if there is a bias towards lower numbers or "lucky numbers" like 7, then I would say tickets with those more common numbers have a higher likelyhood of sharing the prize if they win.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Applewhite posted:

Does the weight and distribution of the ink on the air-blown ping pong balls affect their statistical likelihood of being picked?

p sure they go to great lengths to ensure all balls are identical and have the same chance of being picked. e.g. https://www.lotterypost.com/blogentry/11305

quote:

At Quantum, the balls are checked with a micrometer to determine that they are in fact 50 mm in diameter, as they should be. Next they are measured for resiliency - in other words, how well they bounce. This can be done using a measuring device known as a resiliometer, which drops a weight on the ball and measures how far away it is propelled, or by videotaping the balls as they are dropped and measuring the height of their bounce. The video-tape is rolled back and the exact bounce height can be measured.

The balls are then submerged in water, and their volume determined by how much liquid is displaced. The displacement test shows the density in each ball.

Before a new set of lottery balls is put into service, they are given an x-ray test. This ensures that there are no impurities or cavities within the ball itself.

Each ball is weighed using a digital scale. Both the auditor and OLG Draws official keep notes and compare notes on the weight of each ball. Each lottery ball must be within one gram of a mean weight, if not the set is thrown out and a new case is ordered.

Sophy Wackles fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 13, 2016

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Applewhite posted:

Is it possible to build a computer capable of calculating the future trajectories of every atom in the universe and then using it to predict Powerball numbers?
If so, the people who have computers like that wield an unfair advantage over the rest of us.

True, and they could afford to build time machines to go back and win every lotto in history!

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

I went to go get some tickets for tonight and near the store that sells tickets there are a couple banks and probably around 10 ATMs total within a block of the lotto place. I didn't check all of them, but at least 4 of the ATMs were out of money. :patriot:

Sophy Wackles fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 13, 2016

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Poetic Justice posted:

I would go around and pay people an irresistible amount of money to rent their houses for a year and raise everything that is attached to the walls by 1 half inch and not tell them. Light switches, toilet paper holders, mirrors, everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

What a loving retard. Does he have a death wish?

Also gently caress Chino Hills!

• Locked thread