Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
If I win, every stripper on the east coast gets $1,000 cash- eventually- it'll take some time to work my way around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

The types of idiots that usually win the lottery would probably be better off with the annuity. The annuity is super lovely for anyone with sense, but if you don't have any sense at least you can't run yourself into the ground immediately.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Bought 1 ticket, because really 1 ticket, 10 tickets, 100 tickets for all intents and purposes it's all the same.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

If I win I vow everyone in D&D will have anime butt avatars.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Oooh, actual big B billion.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I wish they'd bump the ball numbers up to 90 so you could play ascii numbers. I wanna play 73-77-71-65-89-33.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

ASCII for "IMGAY!"

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Just gotta hide out until the next giant winner takes the heat off.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

800M ceases to be "hire a good money manager" territory. It's "literally hire the best money manager on this gay rear end planet" money.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Tots posted:

Doesn't take a genius to do it yourself. Just max out the 401k and invest in some property, doesn't seem hard to me.

Setting up a trust for yourself seems like a pro move. That way if you get your rear end sued off you can only lose so much.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

czarmonger posted:

How many people in this thread actually believe there is even the slightest possibility of winning big on these racket?

It seriously takes very little brain power and knowledge to understand how truly wasteful it is to gamble with such odds.

What is even harder to believe is people who see a pattern to scratchers and don't realize that the winners are completely calculated. The real pattern is that you buy tickets and win half your money back, so you buy more until you've spent all your winning money on losing tickets.

What a hot take. I don't think anyone in this thread knows what 1:300,000,000 means.

e: scratch offs are gently caress, and anyone who buys them is an idiot, but $2 for an idle fantasy is- I mean hell a coke zero is roughly the same price.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

BigBoss posted:

A Lexus LX. They're fantastic, luxurious, and still totally practical.

Part of me is all, yeah a Lexus or something, high end consumer and practical. Part of me is like Aston Martin Vanquish which I would have no business driving.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

When I win I'm going to drown in a sea of gay dicks.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

jon joe posted:

If any of you win and can't handle the impending pressure, DON'T PANIC, I will happily take that ticket off your hands and publicly declare, then secretly give you half. I do this, because I am a good person, who is always looking for a way to help. :)

Same, but I will only take 45% because I'm an even better person.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

LATimes has a good simulator because you can put a million virtual dollars in and watch it grind away to roughly one hundred thousand.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

a face you can trust

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I want in on this quadrillion dollar jackpot.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Inept posted:

how does the lottery generate random numbers for people's tickets? computers are bad at random numbers, so what do they do???

Algorithms can't generate random numbers, but you can sample all types of truly random noise with specialized hardware. I think some CPUs even have built in hardware. For the lottery though I assume they still use those machines with numbered balls.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Inept posted:

no not the balls, the tickets people get at stores. I'm wondering since computers are so bad at random numbers if like 15 people could have the same exact ticket that ends up winning or something stupid. probably not since I've never heard of it but eh

Sorry, probably specialized hardware. The first search result I found said, "computers are particularly good at picking random numbers," so I hit the back button to find something written by a non-idiot.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

gently caress giving to charity. With that type of money you could start your own charity.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Three Olives, why do all your plans involve making people miserable? Isn't your posting enough?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

GORDON posted:

If I win I am going to hire Miss America to be my official rear end-wiper.

I don't even know who she is, but I know I can find her price.

If I win I am going to hire you to be my official rear end-wiper.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

900M is so much money that a dumb redneck doing the dumb redneck things that run lottery winners out of money won't even work.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

It's good to keep busy, but I can think of about a hundred better ways to keep busy.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I'd give two weeks notice, and they'd probably offer me way more money to stay, which would piss me off and I'd change my mind about giving notice.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

If I win I'll put a ten million dollar bounty on Osama bin Laden's head. I know he's been dead for years, but I think owning his skull would be baller.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

Let the winner be a super-religious 65-year-old woman and have a televangelist continuously swindle her out of millions upon millions of dollar with schemes and promises that become ever more ludicrous with each passing year.

Cut to five years later. She's penniless and sitting in the living room of her unheated single-wide trailer, thinking she's gonna be blessed because she gave more than her fair share to the Lord. And then she freezes to death.

Season 3 of Fargo sounding hella good.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

potee posted:

I hope it's some smug STEM graduate who bought one single ticket because the expected value was positive

I hope it's me too.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Play 1 2 3 4 5 6. It's just as likely as any combination and if you win you get to be the person who won a billion dollars with President Skroob's luggage combination.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

If you picked the white number randomly from 32-69 you may decrease the probability of a collision a little. 30% of players pick their own numbers and I bet out of those a lot are birthday numbers.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Three Olives posted:

Yes but it is more likely that others are doing to same thing and there would be a massive split.

I found one article saying 1-2-3-4-5-6 gets played thousands of times per week in the british lotto, so it's probably the same for the powerball. That would be pretty nasty.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

New strategy, spend 2 dollars on one ticket and spend another 2 dollars buying the hobo outside a bag of those corn chips he likes. The karma increases your chance of winning by at least a factor of four.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

But you had to imagine the breasts that big, which extends the realm of imagination, which means the breasts are even bigger than that-

Could Applewhite imagine breasts so large that even he couldn't draw them?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Automatic Retard posted:

Aussie here, i bought 2 tickets online from Australia.

Thanks for all those sweet sweet US bux that are comin my way :-D

You got scammed... I mean more so than the rest of us.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Automatic Retard posted:

DOH. How so?
And if I win it I'll still be a billionaire in Aus dollars, whereas you guy only get 880mill after tax :agesilaus:

There's no legit way to buy lotto tickets outside the states that participate in powerball.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Real talk none of us are going to win, but what we are going to do is rob the winner. Who's in?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I would create jobs. They would all be stripper jobs. But they would be jobs.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

FDIC only covers $250,000 per account. But that's per bank, and per type of account. You could easily get a few million insured by spreading it across multiple banks and accounts. You probably wouldn't put the vast majority of the money in a bank though.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I ground through a half a million tickets on the latimes simulator and didn't win poo poo. I'm good to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Use os.urandom. On Windows it uses CryptGenRandom and on Linux and OSX it uses /dev/urandom.

• Locked thread