Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

SickZip posted:

The government treats rightwing miltias with kid gloves because the escalating violence between the two in the 90s was on the verge of turning into a full-on armed insurrection. Once the Oklahoma Federal Buildings went up the government decided there was a core group willing to go all the way and that discretion was the better part of valor.

Wrong decision right there, get the nutjobs to actually come out and put their money gun collection where their mouth is. After a wave of arrests and/or one sided shootouts even the typical nutjob will reevaluate whether :argh:gently caress THE FEDS:argh: is a hill worth dying on.

basically

but unironically

e:

JFairfax posted:

I am not sure but it's interesting to wonder if they would be more or less dead if they were black or ISIS or White

I see you put these categories in the correct order already :smug:

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jan 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

JFairfax posted:

I am not sure but it's interesting to wonder if they would be more or less dead if they were black or ISIS or White

How interesting is it? I can't manage to evince the least bit of surprise.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
We have to build a wall around Oregon.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

SedanChair posted:

How interesting is it? I can't manage to evince the least bit of surprise.

you'd be okay

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

"It's not that the rule of law doesn't apply to white militias. The FBI is just doing the smart thing and they are going to wait a few months and then quietly arrest these guys!" - D&D justifying doing jack poo poo during the original Cliven Bundy incident.

Yeah, that is totally what happened. I'm glad they actually did anything at all about this the first time so it wouldn't escalate!

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
I think this is the first time where my gut reaction was seriously just "Give them what they want, death by cop/fed". And I want to feel awful but really do not.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Death to them all.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
The feds can't go all Waco on them because it's federal property. Crafty bastards.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

The feds can't go all Waco on them because it's federal property. Crafty bastards.

Is Oregon on of those "He was on my property,in my house so I shot him states?" Because if so I that would be amazing.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Pox posted:

I hope they all get killed

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Telsa Cola posted:

Is Oregon on of those "He was on my property,in my house so I shot him states?" Because if so I that would be amazing.

What states do not allow you to apply lethal force to a home invader?

Aspergeoisie
Jun 6, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Having witnessed and arguably participated in many protests over the past few years, these guys are just doing what Occupy and student demonstrators and BLM have been doing for years. The only difference is they're doing it with guns and picked a literally useless shed in the middle of nowhere rather than a university building that hosts classes or some major automobile thoroughfare. All of this "muh white terrorist" backlash is therefore hilarious and overblown. Ammon and his clowns are nothing more than attention whores and people are literally bitching that they aren't getting enough mainstream coverage.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Sucrose posted:

Obviously I don't support Cliven Bundy and his gang of gun-toting assholes, who are going to get someone killed, but the ranchers in question still ought to be sentenced to the jail time that the judge originally saw fit to give them, not given a 5-year mandatory minimum for breaking a terrorism statute.

I just hate mandatory minimums in general. At the same time, from the OregonLive article on the first page:

quote:

The government acknowledged that the next fire, in 2006, was intended as a defensive move. Steve Hammond set backfires to keep a lightning-caused fire from burning onto the Hammonds' ranch and hitting their winter feed.

But the government said Steve Hammond lit up on the flanks of a butte, despite a countywide burn ban and the knowledge that young part-time firefighters were camped up higher. Their crew boss spotted the fires, which were set at night, and moved the crew.

Wildfire Response is already dangerous enough without some dumb fucker setting another one overnight without telling anyone. The Hammonds easily could have killed a team of firefighters.

AND that was at minimum their third offense, after a warning in 1999 and the other charge listed in 2001 (while covering up illegal hunting).

Just the same, I do still have some sympathy for them now being linked publicly with these peckerwoods despite declining their "help".

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx
We could do what we did with Noriega, just use an M.I.A. track like bad girls or something instead of van halen.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Aspergeoisie posted:

Having witnessed and arguably participated in many protests over the past few years, these guys are just doing what Occupy and student demonstrators and BLM have been doing for years. The only difference is they're doing it with guns and picked a literally useless shed in the middle of nowhere rather than a university building that hosts classes or some major automobile thoroughfare. All of this "muh white terrorist" backlash is therefore hilarious and overblown. Ammon and his clowns are nothing more than attention whores and people are literally bitching that they aren't getting enough mainstream coverage.

dumb rear end student protestors and blm hashtag activists are annoying shits but they don't go out of their way to provoke an armed standoff

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Aspergeoisie posted:

Aspergeoisie posted:

The only difference is they're doing it with guns

That's a big difference.

I'd say the line between terrorism is somewhere between "blockading the cafeteria with tables" and "threatening to kill anyone trying to arrest you".

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I tend to think the correct response here is a drone strike obliterating the "protestors" and the shed. It nothing else it would demonstrate that guns are a pretty laughable defense against a tyrannical government.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

I tend to think the correct response here is a drone strike obliterating the "protestors" and the shed. It nothing else it would demonstrate that guns are a pretty laughable defense against a tyrannical government.

But what about the poor shed?

Aspergeoisie
Jun 6, 2009

by R. Guyovich

blowfish posted:

dumb rear end student protestors and blm hashtag activists are annoying shits but they don't go out of their way to provoke an armed standoff

So the possibility of an armed standoff makes these protestors less acceptable than established protest communities that regularly cause real damage to property? Man, guns must be really scary to some people.

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

That's a big difference.

I'd say the line between terrorism is somewhere between "blockading the cafeteria with tables" and "threatening to kill anyone trying to arrest you".

The U.S. Code says terrorism is: “Premeditated, politically motivated violence perpetrated against noncombatant targets by subnational groups or clandestine agents, usually intended to influence an audience.” No act of violence has been committed nor is planned to be committed, excepting the aforementioned attention whoring (specifically in the form of apocalyptic standoff fantasies).

Point is: "Top Kek Blow The White Terrorists WITH DRONES what would happen to ANYONE ELSE if they BROUGHT GUNS" casts the severity of this situation as far greater than it should ever be.

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8q5I_ziWEs

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Aspergeoisie posted:

So the possibility of an armed standoff makes these protestors less acceptable than established protest communities that regularly cause real damage to property? Man, guns must be really scary to some people.

The U.S. Code says terrorism is: “Premeditated, politically motivated violence perpetrated against noncombatant targets by subnational groups or clandestine agents, usually intended to influence an audience.” No act of violence has been committed nor is planned to be committed, excepting the aforementioned attention whoring (specifically in the form of apocalyptic standoff fantasies).

Point is: "Top Kek Blow The White Terrorists WITH DRONES what would happen to ANYONE ELSE if they BROUGHT GUNS" casts the severity of this situation as far greater than it should ever be.

yes because worst case student hashtag morons will get into fist fights and maybe set a car on fire before the police gets sent in to go seal clubbing while armed wannabe seperatists can actually kill dozens of people before going down

also recall the last time where the armed standoff actually happened and ended with the feds going "nah some grassland isn't worth getting into a shooting match over" and hoping the problem would go away on its own.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Aspergeoisie posted:

Man, guns must be really scary to some people.

It's almost they're some sort of weapon that exclusively exist to kill things.

Also yes: these deviants are very different from some students sitting in at a campus or BLM protestors marching down the street because of the fact that they have explicitly stated they are willing to kill people who try to remove them and the other fact that they aren't protesting for any specific "rights" but rather are trying steal federal land.

Also student protestors and BLM don't have a history of terrorist activity like the militia movement in this country does (a la OKC Bombing).

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

blowfish posted:

Seize their assets and use it to build a Shed Memorial Shed.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
You are part of the Rebel Alliance and a traitor! Take her away!

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

blowfish posted:

I think the federal government should have a kickstarter to raise enough money for the value of the building, and then drone it. This should hopefully limit the MAH TAXDOLLERS reaction.

Alternatively, they could have an auction for exclusive broadcasting rights to its destruction. This could be a deficit-reducing military operation.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

I hate to spoil the ending but the police will probably just surround the place and starve them out. I know a lot of people on this subforum have turned on a dime into bloodthirsty maniacs, but I would be surprised if it turned into a giant shootout.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
For me, the joke is a black kid get's shot for playing with a toy gun in a park and these guys are literally raising arms against the government for the second time and not much is going to happen to them probably.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

drilldo squirt posted:

For me, the joke is a black kid get's shot for playing with a toy gun in a park and these guys are literally raising arms against the government for the second time and not much is going to happen to them probably.

And thus, the proportionate response would be to have a squadron of B52s level the area.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

blowfish posted:

And thus, the proportionate response would be to have a squadron of B52s level the area.

Maybe they could send The B-52s.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
They initially wanted to avoid a bloodbath in Waco by playing music at them to force them out, and actually did it to Noriega, so maybe that might work.

I think Rock Lobster 24/7 might cause more bloodshed, though. I know it would for me.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Crain posted:

Also yes: these deviants are very different from some students sitting in at a campus or BLM protestors marching down the street because of the fact that they have explicitly stated they are willing to kill people who try to remove them and the other fact that they aren't protesting for any specific "rights" but rather are trying steal federal land.

Ehh - if A) they did no major damage to the property they're squatting on, which is still conceivable, and B) they weren't making noises about resisting arrest by way of massive shootout, I'd be more-or-less supportive of their right to protest even though I think their particular grounds are pants-on-head crazy/stupid. B's considerably more important than A.

"I think there should be no government above the county level" is constitutionally protected speech. "...And we'll resist any tyrannical federal attempts to take us unto custody with these here firearms" is, uh, pushing it.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Dr. Tough posted:

I hate to spoil the ending but the police will probably just surround the place and starve them out. I know a lot of people on this subforum have turned on a dime into bloodthirsty maniacs, but I would be surprised if it turned into a giant shootout.

Yeah, this. The 90's taught the feds that going in hard ends up with congressional hearings and a pile of body bags, but surrounding them and waiting them out usually results in the militia collapsing into infighting or surrender. I'd be happiest if we managed to do this the right way so that nobody dies.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

blowfish posted:

Nah, there should be an announcement that they should lay down arms while a Davy Crocket tactical nuke is already in flight.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Ddraig posted:

They initially wanted to avoid a bloodbath in Waco by playing music at them to force them out, and actually did it to Noriega, so maybe that might work.

I think Rock Lobster 24/7 might cause more bloodshed, though. I know it would for me.

These fellas have their own Private Idaho.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Dr. Tough posted:

Actually, they won't do anything at all, just like last time.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Declare the building to be a new prison.
Build a wall around it.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

happyhippy posted:

Declare the building to be a new prison.
Build a wall around it.

Send hardened criminals in.

A little Savage Reservation

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Lotka Volterra posted:

I think this is the first time where my gut reaction was seriously just "Give them what they want, death by cop/fed". And I want to feel awful but really do not.

It would seem like the logical approach would be long range artillery bombardment with tear gas canisters.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
It's incredibly stupid that a white armed militia can take over a federal building, while being vocal about defending their position with violence, and be treated with kids gloves, but if they were black or muslim the hellfire that would rain down...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Aspergeoisie posted:

The guns are kind of a big deal. Gandhi plus shooting people is not still passive resistance.

• Locked thread