Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Ehh - if A) they did no major damage to the property they're squatting on, which is still conceivable, and B) they weren't making noises about resisting arrest by way of massive shootout, I'd be more-or-less supportive of their right to protest even though I think their particular grounds are pants-on-head crazy/stupid. B's considerably more important than A.

"I think there should be no government above the county level" is constitutionally protected speech. "...And we'll resist any tyrannical federal attempts to take us unto custody with these here firearms" is, uh, pushing it.

A) has yet to be seen and B) is false. They have literally done little more than make noise about resisting arrest by way of massive shoot out:

quote:

I talked to Ryan Bundy on the phone again. He said they're willing to kill and be killed if necessary. https://twitter.com/IanKullgren/status/683524884484390912?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

And considering that they mean to try and take control of this area A is pretty much implied since they want a war.

Hands down this is leaps and bounds beyond anything comparable to BLM or "college protests".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Crain posted:

Hands down this is leaps and bounds beyond anything comparable to BLM or "college protests".

Except in the fevered minds of the Fox audience the past couple years have been Kent State, Detroit 1967, and LA 1992 all at once X100

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It would seem like the logical approach would be long range artillery bombardment with tear gas canisters.

This would be nice, also shutting off all power and water to the building and encircling them so they can't get any supplies in or out.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
I'm seeing reporting this morning that there's only like 15 dudes there too, making this hilariously weaksauce

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Oh hey, one of the main guys behind this is a former clansman. Is it terrorism yet?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

uncurable mlady posted:

I'm seeing reporting this morning that there's only like 15 dudes there too, making this hilariously weaksauce

THAT'S JUST ANTI-TRUE AMERICAN PROPGANDA~!~! THERE'S THOUSANDS OF PATRIOTS IN THAT VISITOR CENTER ALL REARING TO FEEL THE FIRM, RHYTHMIC STROKES OF FREEDOM!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Oh hey, one of the main guys behind this is a former clansman. Is it terrorism yet?

Nope. Still white.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

For the 'if they were black' crowd

http://m.democracynow.org/stories/10976

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Crain posted:

A) has yet to be seen and B) is false. They have literally done little more than make noise about resisting arrest by way of massive shoot out:

And considering that they mean to try and take control of this area A is pretty much implied since they want a war.

Well, yeah. I was more hypothesizing a slightly nicer parallel universe where I would still disagree with them but support their right to squat (and get arrested on any vandalism or obstruction charges the feds can think up, but thems the breaks).

Point is, the bad thing here is the threat of shootout, not so much the protest or even its location.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Well, yeah. I was more hypothesizing a slightly nicer parallel universe where I would still disagree with them but support their right to squat (and get arrested on any vandalism or obstruction charges the feds can think up, but thems the breaks).

Point is, the bad thing here is the threat of shootout, not so much the protest or even its location.

Oh ok, Sorry I misread that due to my state of not enough sleep.

However I'm balking at even calling this a "protest". Considering they're actively stating that they are trying to start an insurrection and claim federal land for a separatist movement I think it's pretty safe to call this more than a "protest".

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Crain posted:

Oh ok, Sorry I misread that due to my state of not enough sleep.

However I'm balking at even calling this a "protest". Considering they're actively stating that they are trying to start an insurrection and claim federal land for a separatist movement I think it's pretty safe to call this more than a "protest".

the media is calling it an armed occupation, which fits.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

A. Beaverhausen posted:

It's incredibly stupid that a white armed militia can take over a federal building, while being vocal about defending their position with violence, and be treated with kids gloves, but if they were black or muslim the hellfire that would rain down...

they've occupied basically a log cabin in the middle of nowhere, with no hostages. There is no reason to do anything but surround them and arrest them when they get bored or run out of food and try to leave.

The fact that if black or muslim people took action like this would result in an insane overreaction should result in condemning that kind of overreaction, not calls to Kill Them All to make things fair.

Also I have no doubt if they had stormed like, a courthouse or any sort of actually significant government building they'd be in a lot deeper poo poo right now.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Just gonna quote my dumb thing from the freeper thread

Yardbomb posted:

I wonder how much of the "militia members" are those fuckers wives and kids this time.

Remember that a deal of these brave, american patriots tactically took cover behind women and children at the ranch standoff, as an actual thing in case the government had to shoot.

Can only wait to see what catastrophe happens here, in a federal building instead of over some dirtpile ranch dispute.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Yardbomb posted:

Can only wait to see what catastrophe happens here, in a federal building instead of over some dirtpile ranch dispute.

Nothing, as this is a dirtpile cabin in the middle of loving nowhere dispute.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

Just gonna quote my dumb thing from the freeper thread

My guess is the feds and the cops will just wait them out and surround the outer perimeter. unless these dips start firing on cops/fbi, i doubt anything will happen. i could end up being a long stand off though.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

A. Beaverhausen posted:

It's incredibly stupid that a white armed militia can take over a federal building, while being vocal about defending their position with violence, and be treated with kids gloves, but if they were black or muslim the hellfire that would rain down...

The fed's wouldn't do it if it was black people or muslims. The fed isn't some retarded city police department. The reason why these guys are getting ignored is because nobody wants to be the poor sod that gets killed by these guys when they do turn it into a firefight and saving lives is more important than some shitsack cabin in middle of nowhere. Just laughing at the crazies and not giving into their wild revolutionary fantasies is the correct course of action in this situation.

Now the Bundy ranch on the other hand should have resulted in a lot of arrests; although as I say that I wouldn't want to be the BLM dude sitting in a 100+ degree desert getting shot at by white trash.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Govt should publicly thank the two being imprisoned for giving them information on the other hillbilly families.

Watch them rip each other apart from the inside.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Venom Snake posted:

The fed's wouldn't do it if it was black people or muslims. The fed isn't some retarded city police department. The reason why these guys are getting ignored is because nobody wants to be the poor sod that gets killed by these guys when they do turn it into a firefight and saving lives is more important than some shitsack cabin in middle of nowhere. Just laughing at the crazies and not giving into their wild revolutionary fantasies is the correct course of action in this situation.

Now the Bundy ranch on the other hand should have resulted in a lot of arrests; although as I say that I wouldn't want to be the BLM dude sitting in a 100+ degree desert getting shot at by white trash.

agreed. but i am sure the feds and even the local PD are making plans to deal with them, since these dudes dont have hostages, the feds/PD have all the time in the world to wait them out.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Yeah, but you seem more upset these guys aren't getting shot than that they would be if they weren't white.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

happyhippy posted:

Govt should publicly thank the two being imprisoned for giving them information on the other hillbilly families.

Watch them rip each other apart from the inside.

this too. Like all extremest of any political or religious sphere, these dudes will start turning on each other and purity testing one another after a week or two.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this too. Like all extremest of any political or religious sphere, these dudes will start turning on each other and purity testing one another after a week or two.

And they all have guns, too. I feel like this is a play waiting to be written.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

And they all have guns, too. I feel like this is a play waiting to be written.

kinda yeah. It might end the way reservoir dogs does.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

kinda yeah. It might end the way reservoir dogs does.

Will one of them dance to Stuck in the Middle before it does at least?

But then that only leads to the next question of who's losing the ear in the building? :ohdear:

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

lol they're not going to shoot each other either. Maybe you guys should go to the book barn or some place to write your fanfiction

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dr. Tough posted:

lol they're not going to shoot each other either. Maybe you guys should go to the book barn or some place to write your fanfiction

no poo poo. they will definitely turn on each other at some point though.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Dr. Tough posted:

Hm, yes. Yes...

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Xandu posted:

Yeah, but you seem more upset these guys aren't getting shot than that they would be if they weren't white.

It can be both.

hazzlebarth
May 13, 2013

On the plus side, this has produced 2 great twitter hashtags: #YallQaeda and #YeeHawd

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Dr. Tough posted:

http://www.mediaite.com/online/pretend-army-boys-cant-play-nice-at-bundy-ranch-factions-splinter-over-drone-paranoia/

quote:

Infighting between two factions of heroic patriots stationed at Cliven Bundy‘s ranch in Nevada reached a fever pitch earlier this week, with a group of aggrieved militiamen turning against the Oath Keepers. The splintering of the once-unified front is surprising, unless of course you’ve ever seen what happens when a group of children start crying over whose turn it is to play with the Legos.

It's not fanfic if it actually happened before.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

its a bunch of military LARP'ers getting mad at how the sacred lore is being interpreted and turn on each other. this will happen here, especially if its a big crowd and they start wanting to take more "territory"

RedQueen
Apr 21, 2007

It takes all the running you can do just to stay in the same place.
Here's the weather roughly for that area

http://www.wunderground.com/q/locid:ORNWRMA;loctype:13

High 30/low 10-15 all week

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
There's avoiding confrontation and then there's this

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/683703713223987202 posted:

The militia men are leaving and reentering the refuge standoff at will. Two of them recorded a video at a motel in town in this morning.

It also doesn't even sound like federal law enforcement is involved at all. FBI just says "we're aware of the situation."

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
I think they're going to let them tromp around and play white man's revolution until someone actually needs to use the building.

I'd hate to be the guy who has to clean the toilets afterwards, though.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Al! posted:

I think they're going to let them tromp around and play white man's revolution until someone actually needs to use the building.

unfortunately this.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

Al! posted:

Ill be bringing up the topic of Timothy McVeigh to anyone making sympathetic statements I think

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

so apparently bundy is giving a press conference at 11 pst.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Militia stages last stand, government forgets to show up.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
how pathetic does your life have to be where you are willing to drop everything and go hang out with a bunch of dorks in a cabin in the middle of nowhere for no reason

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Worst case scenario: They brought family, the place is on fire, and dozens dead minimum.

The best case scenario, is some sorta combination of them giving up instead of starving, then being arrested for their stupid poo poo. With the media standing by to shame these fuckwits for their stupidity and treason.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Talkc posted:

Worst case scenario: They brought family, the place is on fire, and dozens dead minimum.

The best case scenario, is some sorta combination of them giving up instead of starving, then being arrested for their stupid poo poo. With the media standing by to shame these fuckwits for their stupidity and treason.

You got those backwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
Can somebody please explain why nobody in the Bundy clan was arrested in the time between the last standoff and this one?

I thought the entire point of sitting back and letting them get bored of LARPing was so that people would eventually go home and you could, you know, actually arrest the people you were after. Am I misunderstanding something here? Because now the same morons have been allowed to orchestrate another situation where innocent people could potentially be killed.

I thought the Feds were pursuing a smart strategy against Bundy in Nevada, but now it looks pretty irresponsible and ineffective to me.

• Locked thread