Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Aspergeoisie posted:

Man, guns must be really scary to some people.

It's almost they're some sort of weapon that exclusively exist to kill things.

Also yes: these deviants are very different from some students sitting in at a campus or BLM protestors marching down the street because of the fact that they have explicitly stated they are willing to kill people who try to remove them and the other fact that they aren't protesting for any specific "rights" but rather are trying steal federal land.

Also student protestors and BLM don't have a history of terrorist activity like the militia movement in this country does (a la OKC Bombing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Ehh - if A) they did no major damage to the property they're squatting on, which is still conceivable, and B) they weren't making noises about resisting arrest by way of massive shootout, I'd be more-or-less supportive of their right to protest even though I think their particular grounds are pants-on-head crazy/stupid. B's considerably more important than A.

"I think there should be no government above the county level" is constitutionally protected speech. "...And we'll resist any tyrannical federal attempts to take us unto custody with these here firearms" is, uh, pushing it.

A) has yet to be seen and B) is false. They have literally done little more than make noise about resisting arrest by way of massive shoot out:

quote:

I talked to Ryan Bundy on the phone again. He said they're willing to kill and be killed if necessary. https://twitter.com/IanKullgren/status/683524884484390912?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

And considering that they mean to try and take control of this area A is pretty much implied since they want a war.

Hands down this is leaps and bounds beyond anything comparable to BLM or "college protests".

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

uncurable mlady posted:

I'm seeing reporting this morning that there's only like 15 dudes there too, making this hilariously weaksauce

THAT'S JUST ANTI-TRUE AMERICAN PROPGANDA~!~! THERE'S THOUSANDS OF PATRIOTS IN THAT VISITOR CENTER ALL REARING TO FEEL THE FIRM, RHYTHMIC STROKES OF FREEDOM!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Oh hey, one of the main guys behind this is a former clansman. Is it terrorism yet?

Nope. Still white.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Well, yeah. I was more hypothesizing a slightly nicer parallel universe where I would still disagree with them but support their right to squat (and get arrested on any vandalism or obstruction charges the feds can think up, but thems the breaks).

Point is, the bad thing here is the threat of shootout, not so much the protest or even its location.

Oh ok, Sorry I misread that due to my state of not enough sleep.

However I'm balking at even calling this a "protest". Considering they're actively stating that they are trying to start an insurrection and claim federal land for a separatist movement I think it's pretty safe to call this more than a "protest".

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

wiffle ball bat posted:

I don't see the value in discounting their grievances when in this particular instance an injustice was most assuredly dealt to the Hammons.

False.

Also the Malitia movement in the US is irrevocably tied to a history of White Nationalism and terrorist actions against the government so it's 100% apt to this group trying to start a separatist revolt "terrorists".

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

wiffle ball bat posted:

Now I don't mean to get too "meta" here but it would appear to me that lusting for the violent death of peaceful protesters runs counter to the spirit a healthy debate and discussion forum would need to cultivate to thrive and promote a healthful exchange of ideas on various controversial topics.

Not protesters. They're self proclaimed separatists attempting to start an armed insurrection of federal land. The only reason this hasn't gotten more tense is because the government is in fact not the Jackbooted murder factory that The Turner Diaries told them it was.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

wiffle ball bat posted:

Please provide a source for this good sir for while I find your argument compelling on its face I can't just take your word for it.

Watch like any of their videos/interview? They're literally saying "We want to take this land for ourselves to use how we want without federal control". They have already stated to reporters that they are willing to kill and die for "their cause".

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

wiffle ball bat posted:

grievances of the brave men and women of the Oathkeepers.

:ohdear: Oh no, it's retarded.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

wiffle ball bat posted:

facing down FBI snipers.

loving ell oh ell dude. No one is even there yet. It's the Nascar Commandos and some reporters.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Anosmoman posted:

They want to return prosperity to Harney County - like it used to be before 1908 when the refuge was established. Basically it's a bunch of rural folks experiencing the shifting tides of a changing economy and failing to understand why rural communities are struggling and will continue to struggle. There must be a reason and that reason is the government because realizing your way of life is doomed, is unbearable. The government is the cause of their hardships and "freeing" public lands for some sort of free market sharing scheme will solve everything. It would be sad and pathetic if it wasn't for the guns and delusions.

But it's really not even any locals saying this. It's just the bunds dude and whatever 3%ers are left try to make this happen nation wide for the benefit of a few major ranchers and assholes who want to sell the mineral and mining rights off for a quick buck.

This is just one of the places they're trying to start with and the locals want them to gently caress off.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Goons unironically fantasizing about recreating Waco ITT

To be fair: It's not just in this thread.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Are there any solid sources on whether or not Law Enforcement are on the scene yet?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Joementum posted:

It's got a cool lookout tower where they can take turns pretending to be snipers.

This is one of the funniest parts. You know what real snipers do? That's right: Chose the most visible and easily identified landmark in an open plain from which to operate out of.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Sovereign Citizen wankery is my favorite weird political thing. It's like a cargo cult for stupid people. They recognize that contract law, and legal dealings in general, are powerful in what they can do but they completely fail at grasping what is actually going on. They're not wrong about what they believe, law and contracts being so powerful are the reason why Dr. Dre is so loving rich and why George Lucas and just donate away 4 billion or whatever ridiculous amount of money he got for selling Star Wars and no care.

But instead of of actually learning how these things work they decide to act like a cargo cult and just construct the legal equivalent of the B-52 out of bamboo and pottery.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

As a Millennial I posted:

In my search for more laffs I just keep stumbling on stuff related to this stupid argument. Now there's this article quoting DHS analysis, a poli sci professor, a BLM ranger, all agreeing that the Bundys took 2014 as a victory and see themselves (correctly?) as being above the law.

Yeah that's pretty clear.

They got away with it and now they have a playbook for how to do more.

Anyone want to start a betting pool on when/where the next "protest" will take place?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

You people keep arguing about whether we should suck their cocks or send them to Gitmo as if we can't do both.

Anyway, it turns out they have kids there with them so that complicates things.

Yeah we can just ship them to the middle east and send PTD along as a comfort boy.

General_Disturbed posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELXMyTjMmXk

The community has formed a "Committe of Safety" and are trying to be really official about asking the militia to get the gently caress out. I just listened to a hick spend 10 minutes reading something on his notepad that started every single sentence with "Where as" It's live right now and the most amazing hick community theater I've ever seen.

This was posted earlier explaining it, but this "Committe of Safety" is some Sov Cit bullshit. One of the things mentioned by someone was that they feel they have the right to go and lynch the sherif if he "doesn't perform his duty". As in if he tries to not give them everything.

What I just heard on stream as I typed was something about using jury nullification to keep their people out of jail (with the assumption that everyone will be on their side). And are talking about explicitly using this to usurp local powers by moving from town to town doing this.

So it's like those FreeState people in New Hampshire.

Crain fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 9, 2016

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

So the wheels of justice are slow, and not necessarily racist. Is that your point PTD?

Why can't we speed them up here? Why is it correct to show no attempt at actually enforcing the law against these groups?

Should the government continue to take 20 months or more to bring charges against these people if they start popping up in more and more federal buildings on the order of every week? These guys now know they'll be given at least a week to get set up and dig in.

That "community meeting" stream last night was at least a quarter about exporting the Malheur occupation as a model to other rural communities. They are literally making plans to do this on other federal lands in order to steal them.

So should the response to these groups continue to move so slow as to allow this movement to create their own established enclaves? Cause that is what they are planning right now.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

I think "established enclaves" is a rather big leap from a group of a dozen or so idiot clowns who took over an empty bird sanctuary for a week so far and have accomplished jack poo poo.

The government hasn't touched the Bundy ranch since the 2014 event. They haven't shown that Malhuer will be handled any differently.

You can do a lot in 20 months. And they're planning on doing this at other federal lands. Giving these guys 20months+ to do what they want and expand will result in a much more dug in problem with much greater capabilities than sitting under a tarp.

Again: these are the plans they were making last night. They're going to try and do this.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

It is a hyperbolic example, but my greater point is that the government should at least try to deal with one incident before the next one starts. If they're going to take 20+ months to deal with each event it's quickly going to spiral out of control.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

Their plans are an idiot fantasy. This is the Zybourne Clock of armed resurrections.

And idiot fantasy with real guns.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

SocketWrench posted:

So far the feds can get them for....squatting? A few petty misdemeanors?

So you're joining the PTD school of "just gonna ignore what laws are and what's been done" huh?

They've made threats against Law Enforcement, that's assault. They did it with the implication of using their guns to kill law enforcement if they come to arrest them, that's assault with a deadly weapon. They have stolen federal property (BLM trucks they've been using), that's a felony. They've committed breaking and entering. They have also gone so far as to state they will form a lynch mob (although using some Sov Cit term) and execute the local Sheriff should he "fail in his duties", which means if he actually tries to arrest them or otherwise fail to kiss their dicks. Plus more depending on how much time you want to spend arguing the definition of things like sedition.

These guys didn't just go camping on the refuge and decide not to leave after 14 days or whatever the limit for camping is. They're not just squatting.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Rhesus Pieces posted:

This is supposedly a list of wants from the OR militia wannabes.

I hope this is a joke. Gaming supplies? Digital camera? Mayonnaise and Miracle Whip?

Jackets large and extra large.

Ya don't say.

Condiv posted:

sure glad these shitheads get to rifle through gov computers and drive gov trucks while the fbi does nothing

Uh, excuse me, I think you'll find that no laws have ever been broken here. If you'd like to insinuate anything about this current situation is not on the complete, 100%, legal, appropriate, and measured up and up then I'll need at least 10 sources from verified legal analysts, as well as sworn (and notarized) testimony from the militia members themselves stating exactly what they did that was illegal.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Just noticed: Eggs (Needed Badly)

Really need that protein for made stand off gains.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAus1lXNWGU

Barrett Kaiser, of Center for Western Priorities addressing a crowd near the standoff.

Gotta love the rear end in a top hat getting up in his face asking his name repeatedly.

That man was trying to steal his power by learning his TRUE NAME.

Hahahahaha

It's all over. Ammon Bundy has transferred the land from the federal government back to We The People. Game over.

TL;DW please?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Basically: Bundy is claiming they own the land now, and that they are going through the records available on site to 'give' the land to people who are using them.

Sovereign Citizen level legal stupidity.

But I'm sure no laws were broken nor crimes committed during this, to assume otherwise is akin to a new holocaust.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I already did. It's like a minute long.

Ah. ok.

I'm going to be very surprised if any actual companies take them up on offers to "break into the area". I'd like to assume mining/farming companies are smart enough not to engage these morons in business, but, well, here we are.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

McDowell posted:

The intro to the Bundy video felt familiar - the flames, the font, the audio, where have I seen this before?

White, hot, shrieking ball of rage?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjonGtrCyVE

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

My Imaginary GF posted:

Which tribes would those be, and for how long does evidence exist that their tribe exerted ownership over the land?

Shut the gently caress up MIGF.

There's multiple links about that situation. Some on this page even.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

SocketWrench posted:

They're squatting in a federal building and making threats any pissed off rear end in a top hat does.

You don't even know what squatting is. Stop making bad faith arguments. These aren't some assholes who decided they wanted to camp out in one spot for more than 14 days.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

SocketWrench posted:

As of so far it's been and done absolutely poo poo gently caress nothing except keep once open lands closed.

Completely untrue. Not even on a semantic level. They have done far more than just sticking around after closing time. You're being deliberately dishonest with how you're trying to describe the situation.

Multiple people, including me, have gone over the kinds of charges they are facing and it goes well beyond simply squatting.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Hollismason posted:

I'm going to laugh so hard if they end up getting Scurvy.

It's actually extremely hard to get scurvy on accident in the modern era. We add so many extra vitamins and minerals to just random junk foods that you're probably good no matter what you do.

The only people who get scurvy anymore are people who do really dumb, extreme diets. Like meat only or only licking celery once a day.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

az posted:

Scurvy has actually been coming back in recent years, mostly in low income housing and the homeless population, but also college students with poor diets and those living in food deserts. And not just in the third world but in London, Michigan and California to name a few. Since it is not on anyone's radar anymore it's often misdiagnosed or goes completly undiagnosed because the afflicted lack access to medical care.

Well poo poo.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Jewel Repetition posted:

Any new developments with this? Are they still camping in the building with no interference and a lukewarm population around them?

Depending on who you ask the answer is either "Not much different, still begging for stuff they should have brought with them" or "Nothing was ever wrong and these guys should be given the land and a few sloppy blowjobs."

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

SocketWrench posted:

I meant as far as accomplishing anything other than be annoying twats

Hold up, let me hook this generator up to your bike.

You're putting out some mad kilowatts with all that backpedaling.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Ninkobei posted:

we know that trash is getting picked up, sure..but is any of this mail actually getting through? I really don't picture a mailman driving up to drop half a ton of mail each day

Most likely since the place was closed when this all started they had a stop on mail deliveries and its collecting at the post office. What has been sent was delivered by supporters (and PETA since they decided to hand deliver vegan jerky. For publicity reasons).

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Hey let's just wrap this whole situation up in a nice neat "everything going wrong right now" present.

Maybe Trump will massively gently caress up and encourage these yahoos on national TV, then they'll start patrolling the town since the Sheriff has deserted his post to be a government lapdog or whatever, and in their infinite wisdom gun down a black kid because [insert racist excuse here].

Let's just blow the loving lid off of 2016 before it's a month old.

Considering how much these guys want a shooting war with the feds, I wouldn't put it past them to be dumb enough to force their hand.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Cythereal posted:

I still think that this would cause far more problems than it would solve, but the prospect of lancing the boil grows more emotionally appealing all the time.

Oh don't get me wrong, that's not a hypothetical about solving the situation.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

SocketWrench posted:

Listen, I realize your whole gimmick here is to poo poo post like it matters. But seriously, knock it off.

Rich coming from the guy who keeps trying to pretend these guys are simply squatting on a campground.

And I guess the OKC Bombing was just a case of illegal parking?

Ammon himself doesn't want to die because he's just trying to pull off a land grab, but his messaging is so bad that he's now getting too many true believers who are more willing to start shooting (Those militia guys he turned away the other day). If more are showing up every day like General_Disturbed said then he can't keep turning them away before someone calls "false flag" or does the body snachers scream at him and questions whether or not he's a true conservative believer. Or if some other group rolls in with way more guys and decides they want to take over.

Which is why there should have been a road block of the area. It's much easier to open dialogue with a group when you can keep the situation static. It's hard to negotiate a surrender when there's a new group of people there every few days.

Crain fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jan 11, 2016

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Jarmak posted:

Tampons are actually really good at quickly treating bullet wounds, it is possible they want them to prep for the coming last stand.

Pretty much. This device just went public looking for FDA approval:

Basically a giant syringe full of tampons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Ninkobei posted:

Say those crazy III%er militias want to get past the road block though, to see their true king. They could escalate things by having a firefight with the police

Yeah? And then that's on them.

I'm really not sure why "criminals are going to break the law" is suddenly an accepted reason in D&D for letting them break the law. Should we stop passing laws all together then?

• Locked thread