Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

ansel autisms posted:

As a user of the building they're occupying (seriously) I understand why there's not a huge federal reaction to this. It's in the middle of loving nowhere.

So, is it a WPA project? It looks like one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

the trump tutelage posted:

Someone explain to me how setting a fire on fed land somehow covers up poaching or is somehow less conspicuous than a few blood splatters in the middle of nowhere.

As I understand it, they weren't hunting the deer for food, they were shooting the deer for grazing on their grazing land.

So... I'm guessing they didn't clean up after themselves. Imagine a couple dozen dead deer decomposing in a field.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

SubponticatePoster posted:

24/7 Rachel Maddow interspersed with episodes of Girls.

Mariachi music.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

FAUXTON posted:

The gummi bears should be delivered by 4:30 PM Friday.

https://twitter.com/MaxTemkin/status/687445755309641728

Let's see if this works - looks like someone bought 'em the lube.
e. fb. Ah well.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 14, 2016

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

No Butt Stuff posted:

These guys haven't realized that anyone using the name the "Patriots" are pretty much guaranteed to be wrong and/or bad.

As a New Yorker, I agree. Tom Brady especially.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Soylent Yellow posted:

How wide a net could they throw with RICO? Could they theoretically go after anyone who donated or provided material support to the standoff?

If, and I repeat, if they do...
Do you remember those professionally made signs?

I think someone tied them back to that group of people who were advocating giving public lands to the states.
aaaand...
I think that groups is funded by the Koches.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I'm sure they have cutouts, but it might expose the funders a little.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Evil Fluffy posted:

It doesn't matter how much you dare to dream, even if the government goes full RICO they will not consider going after the Koch family. You could have video evidence of them forming 501c orgs for the explicit purpose of rallying militias to the Bundy ranch for a violent confrontation with the Feds and the Koch brothers would still beat the charges or get a slap on the wrist. One of the most powerful families on the planet isn't going to go down for funding groups to push for policies to further enrich said family.

Well, no, I'm not dreaming of that happening. What I'm dreaming of is exposing their money-tentacle backbone. Proof that the seditionists and, I don't know, their anti-climate-change funding come from the same place.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

kartikeya posted:

Incidentally, this is also why I get twitchy and irritable every time people start talking about how the solution to mass shootings is better mental healthcare; while yes, we desperately need better mental healthcare, assuming anyone who goes on a shooting spree is mentally ill is detrimental to just about everyone and only adds to the stigma of 'mentally ill = dangerous crazy person who shouldn't have rights' while doing nothing to actually help deal with spree killings.

I think what started that conversation was that a number of spree killers, starting with Virginia Tech, and continuing with Gabby Giffords, were legitimately mentally ill, and theoretically not allowed to have guns anyhow thanks to existing laws, but the databases were not talking to each other.

Is every spree killer mentally ill? No. Are a number of them? Yes, enough that it's noticeable that they, in the past, have had a situation that makes them no longer legally allowed to own guns, due to mental illness (as opposed to committing a felony).

Messianic Judaism essentially started when a bunch of Russian Jews came over in the 70s, fleeing persecution, and someone in the Southern Baptist area had the idea 'We'll tell them that Jesus is the fulfillment of Judaism, we'll keep everything else the same, call the priest a rabbi, have services on Saturday. They don't know any better!' They didn't, because they'd grown up in a secular society, only knowing they were Jewish, and not really knowing what it meant. They certainly weren't inoculated against high pressure advertising techniques like you get in America.
And it worked, and you get Jews for Jesus. And now you may get second or third generation members that are reaching back into evangelical Christianity, promoting Messianic Judaism as 'Christianity how Jesus wanted it to be.' And then it gets weird.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jews_for_Jesus
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messianic_Judaism

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 13, 2016

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

So, as someone raised jewish (not orthodox) and has an aunt who is a "Jew for Jesus", they're basically Christians who celebrate jewish holidays.

Yes, they are - but the context of why they exist (an artificial movement created by the Southern Baptists) and what kind of Christian they are (see aforementioned) is relevant. I suspect Fry is, however, the newer kind of Messianic - the Christian who converted to Messianic to be more purely Christian like Jesus.

(they're Christians who celebrate Jewish holidays.)

Yes, more like Fiddler on the Roof works, too. I'm trying to remember exactly how they preyed on incoming Jews. I know it was during the 70s, and I know it was preying on their lack of knowledge about Judaism, but the precise point they attacked on is escaping me. Sorry, we're talking 40+ year old memories here - I have a few blank spots.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 13, 2016

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Uh, also, we're from Southern California. I believe she did convert in the 70s or 80s, but I don't think it had anything to do with Southern Baptists.
I'm not going to say your argument has no merit since I don't know a whole lot about it, but don't paint with too large a brush here.

I can't PM you but, if you don't mind, some minor bits of information.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jews_for_Jesus
Jews for Jesus, founded, San Francisco, 1973, which would match your statement.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moishe_Rosen
Martin Rosen, trained as a Conservative Baptist preacher, founder. My mistake, he seems to be a Northern Baptist, not Southern.
Either way, I hope this has been of some help.

Mmm. Passover pot roast and latkes.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

prefect posted:

How about on a pintle mount in the back of a Toyota Hilux? :haw:

(Hope I got all the words right there.)

You did. Now, to get that to work, you've got to find a 1991 Hilux - not too hard - and fill this out.
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/hs799short.pdf
After that, there's some more paperwork and finding a registered importer...

The pintle mount is pretty trivial, but they don't sell the Hilux in the USA.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

DeathSandwich posted:

Wasn't the Hillux in America sold as "Toyota Pickup"?

Actually, pre '76, Hilux, then Pickup, SR5, 4Runner, and then not at all.

But the Hilux name is worth the extra effort, isn't it? Heck, you could even find a survivor of the Technical Wars and get it imported to match with your very own Ma Deuce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Mirthless posted:

Gun ownership was a privilege of the wealthy when the founding fathers wrote the constitution. Interchangeable parts and mass production were still a hundred years out. There is no constitutionally protected right to be able to afford arms.

Not true! My great-19th grandpa mugged a brit for his gun, and he was poor as heck.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 24, 2016

• Locked thread