Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

FIRST TIME posted:

What is it about making GBS threads up Federal land that makes these morons think it's a great hill to die on?

I really don't get the angle they're pushing where I'm supposed to feel any kind of sympathy for them yet there's apparently a certain demographic of people out there who do.

To be fair, charging people with a terrorism offense with a mandatory 5-year sentence for creating illegal firebreaks sounds ridiculous. I've heard of a person being charged with "terrorism" for verbally threatening the staff at a hospital, while under an involuntary psychiatric hold. It's true that these new "terrorism" laws are absolutely out of control, especially when they involve mandatory minimums. A law where someone is automatically sentenced to 5 years in prison for arson, without any judicial discretion available, is an absolutely terrible law. We should be doing away with mandatory minimums, not passing more laws carrying them. Especially not in the name of "preventing terrorism."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
Obviously I don't support Cliven Bundy and his gang of gun-toting assholes, who are going to get someone killed, but the ranchers in question still ought to be sentenced to the jail time that the judge originally saw fit to give them, not given a 5-year mandatory minimum for breaking a terrorism statute.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

AShamefulDisplay posted:

So I'm looking at this place people are referencing as a "shed".

The gently caress kind of place do you people live with a "shed" that nice?

It looks kinda like a gift shop to me.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

enraged_camel posted:

Have they explained why they picked that particular property?

enraged_camel posted:

It's super remote and there's no one there.

They're full of hot air. They don't actually want some sort of shootout with the government, they want media attention. They chose that spot because they know the feds aren't going to come in guns blazing to retake their Wilderness Visitors' Center.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Mr. Belding posted:

Make them fire the first shot. The second shot is a drone strike.

Why, do you work for the Rand Paul campaign?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Man Whore posted:

Because lethal force shouldn't be used except in response to lethal force?

No, the joke is that Rand Paul was blathering on about "drone strikes in the US," something that's patently ridiculous.

• Locked thread