Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Crain posted:

Also yes: these deviants are very different from some students sitting in at a campus or BLM protestors marching down the street because of the fact that they have explicitly stated they are willing to kill people who try to remove them and the other fact that they aren't protesting for any specific "rights" but rather are trying steal federal land.

Ehh - if A) they did no major damage to the property they're squatting on, which is still conceivable, and B) they weren't making noises about resisting arrest by way of massive shootout, I'd be more-or-less supportive of their right to protest even though I think their particular grounds are pants-on-head crazy/stupid. B's considerably more important than A.

"I think there should be no government above the county level" is constitutionally protected speech. "...And we'll resist any tyrannical federal attempts to take us unto custody with these here firearms" is, uh, pushing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Crain posted:

A) has yet to be seen and B) is false. They have literally done little more than make noise about resisting arrest by way of massive shoot out:

And considering that they mean to try and take control of this area A is pretty much implied since they want a war.

Hands down this is leaps and bounds beyond anything comparable to BLM or "college protests".

Well, yeah. I was more hypothesizing a slightly nicer parallel universe where I would still disagree with them but support their right to squat (and get arrested on any vandalism or obstruction charges the feds can think up, but thems the breaks).

Point is, the bad thing here is the threat of shootout, not so much the protest or even its location.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Aspergeoisie posted:

But, as it stands right now, these armed protesters are the ones standing at having "done far less." I think you, and many others, are stuck on the latter half of your statement. In believing the Oregon protesters' cause ignoble—and it surely is—you convinced yourself that taking over a loving shack in the middle of nowhere is worse than the massive destruction of urban and suburban property wrought by the left's myriad protest movements in the last decade alone.

Right now, unless these "militiamen" actually shoot people, they should probably be charged with trespassing and then released just like most every other Occupy protester so far.

I am perfectly fine with these militiamen being treated like past leftist and/or colored protest movements. If they are not, I would quite like for future leftist and/or colored protest movements to be treated comparably.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Currently they are sitting in a few buildings in the middle of nowhere

compare that to burning cars and smashing stores and rioting through a town

All in all, this is a far better protest than most on the left regardless of whether or not you agree with them and excusing riots as being for a "brighter and better future" in your mind is exactly the same poo poo as what these same people complain about the other side doing. These guys have as much right to protest as anyone else.

"Most [protests] on the left" would agree that burning cars, smashing stores, and rioting is bad. I'd say "and you know that", but I'm not actually sure you do.

Empirically speaking, I think I'm increasingly curious about what would happen if some protests on the left started open carrying firearms in their peaceful enterprises and hinting that they would resist arrest with lethal force.

They'd be crushed with even more force than BLM traditionally is.

To reiterate my position from some pages ago: protests, even stupid sovereign citizen protests, fine. Occupation of federal property, fine-ish although traditionally protesters who eg vandalize government property expect to be arrested and are fine with that (and even see it as a good visibility booster). Implicit threats against law enforcement, not particularly fine. Explicit threats against law enforcement, a la the last Bundy Incident, quite not fine.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 4, 2016

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

ClancyEverafter posted:

So any news about the Hickani Network's activities in North Orziristan?

I like "Hickani", but all I'm getting from Orziristan is that I am a bit *frumple* about these *sad campers*.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Intel&Sebastian posted:

In Texas, guys were organizing a march or rally tongo to OR, news said that they were arguing, one grabbed the others holstered weapon, the guy pulled his back up gun and shot him in the face.

Aww, and here I had my German mercenary comment all lined up.

Although let's be fair, that probably happened a ton in the 30yw too.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

prefect posted:

Please tell me you're talking about Orly Taitz.

Oh God no.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Who What Now posted:

The only reason to come armed is to commit violence. So yes, it does in fact constitute violence or at least a serious threat of it.

I don't have a particular problem with eg the Black Panthers (or the goofballs currently calling themselves the New ones) engaging in open carry protests. That's not what bothers me about these folks either as such - it's their strongly suggested threats of violence, their explicit threats of organized lynching by paramilitaries citizen courts, and the material damage they're doing in their protest.

Engaging in threats of violence while carrying a firearm is more concerning than engaging in threats of violence while carrying a baked potato, mind.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

skaboomizzy posted:

Pete Santilli is gonna be responsible for all of these yahoos getting 30+ years.

Maybe... maybe he's an FBI plant. :tinfoil:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

kartikeya posted:

A few more links I've run into this morning.

This guy sums up what this argument is about pretty neatly: http://z1.hcn.org/hcn/hcn/articles/im-not-so-different-from-the-bundys-heres-what-id-like-to-say-to-them

And remember, it's just a bird sanctuary. Clearly there's nothing of real value there--oh wait.

http://www.kgw.com/news/4000-artifacts-stored-at-oregon-refuge-held-by-armed-group/15241509

Bonus idiocy from that link:

Mr Bundy, I am pretty sure the Mandate of Heaven currently belongs to the Obama Dynasty.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Crain posted:

One of these jackasses was blowing that thing one day when Ammon was trying to give a press release. It was hilarious.

If not for the whole heavily armed paramilitary bit I would love these guys for the comedy value.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

DeathSandwich posted:

Also, if she really really wanted to put a hard crackdown, the Governor is legally the Commander in Chief of their respective state's national guard when they aren't under federal control. An actual military crackdown would be an absolute bloodbath though, and terrible terrible optics.

This sort of thing is why we need more outfits like the Texas State Guard, which is under the sole and exclusive control of the governor. :911:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Lmao the fuuuuuucking governor said that feds asked her not to comment so it wouldn't escalate the situation. This poo poo is ridiculous.

If these guys all turned out to be FBI plants trying to lure in RW nutjobs from across the nation the first thing I would think would be "well then you should have been a little less obvious about it".

It's working, isn't it?

The feds are even getting free sex aids out of it!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Who What Now posted:

There is a 1000% chance doing that will get you arrested. For gently caress's sake stop planning ways to touch the poop.

I am on board with Sedanchair, which is itself horrifying.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

ToastyPotato posted:

I dunno. I just don't see these people as being as totally mentally gone as say, ISIS followers or something. They have yet to demonstrate that a single one of them is really all that suicidal and murderous. They make a lot of threats, but the complete lack of action in the face of what they themselves consider actual apocalyptic threats seems point to the likelihood that they are mostly bark and little bite and that the people that would be driven to violence by ANY action against them almost certainly would have been driven to violence at some point anyway.

For all that their dickery with the refuge and Paiute artifacts and so on is disgusting, I am actually somewhat pleased that they haven't done anything more than, you know, harass a couple federal employees out of town with threats.

:negative:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Intel&Sebastian posted:

PJ's fine. He's got a richer fanfic for what the fbi is up to and I think its out there, but he made some fine contributions towards explaining the fbi non response from his own perspective. Just because someone wants to talk to him on his own terms or agrees doesn't mean everyone here suddenly elected him super sheriff of the something awful county resource center. I especially don't understand that view of things considering how and who he is getting questioned by.

My stance is well known and I just got done respectfully telling him his views on the LV shooters sounded lovely.

Take it to helldump.

Prester John is a transchick, fyi, but it's perfectly reasonable to assume a goon is male even without the username.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I'll be honest, I have a certain amount of respect for this man.

Especially in the temperatures involved.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Inshallah.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

It may, in fact, be :siren: happening :siren:.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Ceiling fan posted:

That's what night vision is for. I want to see some ROI for the billions sunk in the MIC. Put up the live stream!

We had loving aerial drone coverage of the Boston Bombers' final showdown, and that was with a lot less warning.

Let's do this thing.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm wondering how a raid is going to go with the terrain on the land. It's really open and the militia occupied a fire watch tower with snipers. I'm guessing a conflict will begin with either the watch tower shooting at approaching cops unless the police shoot first.

It's an attempt at Firewatch viral marketing. :tinfoil:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

faxlore posted:

They're sending coords to people for paths/roads to get past the roadblocks, apparently.

edit: "This isn't a Jade Helm, this is the real thing" :laffo:

Jade Helm was a total success. I, for one, am posting from a FEMA guardpost in the subterranean camps, whence the Texans have been rightly consigned.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

faxlore posted:

They're (the Oregon State Militia) apparently planning to hike in 15 miles on foot :laffo:

...I am very supportive of their enterprise.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Jarmak posted:

I know, but I have to admit I was beginning to lose faith, I was probably as much hoping I was right on this as I was actually believing I was.

I must concede you were correct,

possible FBI infiltrator of Team Patriot :tinfoil:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Vahakyla posted:

Well this kinda sucks. People are gonna get hurt. As much as I love to make fun of those people, it's still stupid. I'm not saying that the FBI isn't doing what's necessary, but still.

Well, you know, active and emphatic armed insurrections will do that.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Barack Obama arrived clad in purple robes on a litter borne by sixteen white slaves. While Finicum was tending his cattle with his adopted children, Obama pointed at him and decreed "THAT MAN IS A CHRISTIAN, EXECUTE HIM," paid a member of the Muslim brotherhood (huma abedin) thirty of silver, and the noble rancher was beheaded live on Al Jazeera.

The best President. :911:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

They're trying to get to Grant County

They told the dude to turn off the livestream AFTER they said that out loud

They're learning and evolving. :ohdear:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Whereupon whichever FBI dude came up with the strategy is immediately promoted to Director of Homeland Security.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

There's a reason that few Americans hate and fear the internet, and desire that it be destroyed, more than Rick Santorum.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Lycus posted:

DefendYourBase has a lovely phone, but he thinks the FBI is turning it off at random times.

If I was on the FBI team living in a comms van at the blockade, that is exactly what I would be doing if allowed.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Teddybear posted:

I think I got blocked from the Popehat twitter stream after their anarchocapitalist contributor went on a tirade about birth control and Obamacare, and I pointed out that prostate health was covered too. It autocorrected to prostrate and I think he yelled for ten minutes about liberal statist retards or some poo poo.

Basically Ken should pick his contributors better.

Clark has been exiled parted ways to start his own blog, so it's pretty much all sane-ish now. :toot:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I know it was a very mild winter to start and all... but why would they decide to start this in the middle of winter and not say, spring time?

The refuge would then be in active use, for one, and expelling a bunch of active federal employees is a different kettle of fish to just squatting in their place of work and threatening their families for giggles.

Also, it was partly in response to the Hammond thing, and outrage might have died down a bit by spring.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Grem posted:

Haha they're camping in the most pussified way possible, sleeping in running cars.

They only have so much gasoline.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I am so happy that those stupid horns are a thing.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

A writer at the Onion sighs as he deletes the article he was writing.

Whatever happened to Subzero Weather Sumo Dude?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Skinty McEdger posted:

I believe whoever destroyed it stole the tarp.

So the actual Lavoy Tarp is now lost somewhere out there.

Lost... or saleable to the highest bidder as a piece of American history?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

StandardVC10 posted:

It's in Your Candidate Sucks now, but frankly I have no idea why you want to read it.

It has been good at times, but not recently, and certainly not since it spiraled into the Democratic Candidates Hellmatch.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Cantorsdust posted:

Oh my god how loving stupid can you be to present your ID to a system connected to every national database, walk unarmed through security, and then board a flight which takes a few hours, during which the police have ample time to assemble and prepare for your arrest at your known location.

This is a great loving day.

The revolution is foiled again by the devious federal masterminds.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Lotka Volterra posted:

I suppose my greatest concern with the FBI's plan was that it made it incredibly easy for the militants and their ilk to skip out on charges if they were at all clever, and that no one could possibly be that stupid. I suppose I have to apologize to the FBI, and troll supreme Mark, for having accurately estimated these people's intelligence.

:911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Polaron posted:

She's some SovCit ex-lawyer. Michelle Fiore is the councilwoman from Nevada.

Wait, Krissan. I think that is the woman who was advising the patriots that they could arrest the sheriff and try him for treason.

• Locked thread