Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Meanwhile the "tool of the opressor" is being used to pioneer a project that will hopefully help both the government and the local economy:

http://www.oregonlive.com/environment/index.ssf/2015/12/post_46.html

quote:

The carp have created an ecosystem so out of balance it no longer supports the plant and insect life birds rely upon for food and habitat. Populations of migrating ducks, geese and shorebirds that once passed through the refuge in numbers as great as half-a-million each day have dwindled to a tenth that size.

Now, refuge bosses hope to wrest control with fishing nets.

They've partnered with the Oregon Wildlife Heritage Foundation and the owner of Pacific Foods, a Tualatin company best known for boxed soup and soymilk, to stage a massive commercial fishing operation on the refuge.

The five-year contract began this year, but drought kept lake waters too low to start fishing. But by spring 2016, the team hopes to begin removing thousands of fish from the water each day.

If all goes well, as many as 4 million pounds of carp could come out of the lake next year. The meat, which most Americans won't eat, will be used to fertilize Chuck Eggert's crops.

Eggert, who owns Pacific Foods, has formed a side company, Silver Sage Fisheries, to acquire and process the castaway carp. Once taken from the lake, the carcasses will be trucked to Burns for processing before being spread across alfalfa fields that feed Eggert's dairy cows.

"It's been enjoyable to get a broader partnership going to address what has become a longstanding issue, while putting the waste to use," said Tim Greseth, the executive director of Oregon Wildlife Heritage Foundation, who worked with Eggert to develop the fertilizer concept.

let's hope these guys get bored and clear out before they interfere with anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Sucrose posted:

To be fair, charging people with a terrorism offense with a mandatory 5-year sentence for creating illegal firebreaks sounds ridiculous. I've heard of a person being charged with "terrorism" for verbally threatening the staff at a hospital, while under an involuntary psychiatric hold. It's true that these new "terrorism" laws are absolutely out of control, especially when they involve mandatory minimums. A law where someone is automatically sentenced to 5 years in prison for arson, without any judicial discretion available, is an absolutely terrible law. We should be doing away with mandatory minimums, not passing more laws carrying them. Especially not in the name of "preventing terrorism."

It's too bad that two ranchers have to pay with years of their lives so the right can learn the lesson that "terrorism" is a stupid thing to arbitrarily punish someone for when we already have real names for crimes in our centuries old legal system.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

I think they're going to let them tromp around and play white man's revolution until someone actually needs to use the building.

I'd hate to be the guy who has to clean the toilets afterwards, though.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Xandu posted:

Doesn't seem like anyone's actually asked them to leave yet, and they are letting people come onto the property freely :)

Best case scenario for all involved is all the media attention gets lots of gawkers and journalists of different stripes and for the saner of these folks meeting a bunch of different kinds of people will slowly give them the revelation over the course of years that "oh god this is silly, America isn't a secret black Jew Muslim conspiracy after all" and they will also have satisfied their need for attention for a good long while and busy with court appearances.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Best best case scenario they gain class consciousness and this touches off a global bloodless revolution.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Can you imagine how disappointed these guys must feel right now? No blockades, no cops, not even a closed road. They must have been so sure when they marched in there that this would be their final glorious stand.

wiffle ball bat posted:

While you sit fatly in a computer chair praying for their death these men and women are squatting rough in the Oregon winter facing down FBI snipers. Regardless of how you feel about their political convictions you cannot deny their "huevos."

Haha man you're alright.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Maybe they can help out by fishing some of the invasive shitcarp nobody wants to eat.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Is Facebook some sort of bastion of personal privacy now?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

I like the way the Idiots on Social Media thread handles it...

Posted on private page or to friends only = blur out names and info
Posted on public page = gently caress em

Well yeah I'm sure some goonlord has posted his IDIOT GRANDMA's personal information because she reposted an article about violent video games or whatever but that clearly appears to be a public post on either theirs or the terrorist's Facebook page. That's the whole good thing about Facebook, people publicly shame themselves.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

These are the actions of men who drink light beer instead of water. Which, ironically probably puts them closer to the mentality of our founding fathers. Our drunk, slaveholding founding fathers.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Rhesus Pieces posted:

:siren:MAYDAY SEND CASHEWS AND RED BULL:siren:

They didn't prepare at all did they? He's got his Magical Totem Pocket Constitution but forgot to pack socks, food, "gear" or even adequate clothing. Their soldier costume camo outfits don't even match the terrain they're occupying.

Why am I not surprised at all that he's an energy drink guy.

The cold is shocking him out of his manic episode quicker than expected.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Also, what's with these shitkickers and treating their pocket constitutions like enchanted talismans?

help, that man's face is trying to escape his face

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Abner Cadaver II posted:

I think it's from some childhood injury or the like.

I almost felt bad until I realized that he wants to destroy me and my way of life, then I just felt bad it probably helped make him this way.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Lotka Volterra posted:

The best bit being that none of them had probably ever been to the NWR before, and they have less connection to the land than the average city resident in Oregon.

Connection to the land? Hell if they had even gone camping a little bit anywhere, they'd know to at least be prepared for cold nights. Just because you(r illegal immigrant ranch hands) work the land, doesn't mean you have any respect or love for it.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

ansel autisms posted:

They can get started by eating all of the taxidermied migratory birds stored at the headquarters:

With all those eggs they're layin', we won't need to eat em.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

I think local law enforcement is very capable of sitting back and watching a bunch of dumbasses become a national laughingstock.

They know exactly who these people are and where they live what they've spent money on, all of their personal texts phone calls and emails, who their known associates are, and could have any of them picked up at any time after this blows over.

Why would they even need to even physically be present.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Xandu posted:

But will they? They didn't do it after the last Bundy stand-off. It seems more like a decision to just hope it blows over than to arrest them peacefully later.

Probably not but they don't have to, these men are scum, but probably only a threat to their family and friends, a matter for local law enforcement.

Now if you want to get into how race plays into deciding who is "harmless" and who isn't from that perspective we can have a conversation.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Xandu posted:

I'll ignore the race thing, because you're right, that's a different discussion in many ways, but are these people "only a threat to their family and friends"? I don't think the Bundys themselves are stupid enough to want to commit violence at this point, they seem to be benefitting from their niche celebrity, but they and the broader militia/sovereign citizen absolutely attract some crazy, violent people, who have absolutely no problems committing violence and murder.

I honestly don't believe that those people can be stopped by arresting these sad sack losers. The crazy violent people they attract will glom onto anything they can to fuel their raging mental illnesses, we won't be able to stop the violence until we find some way of keeping guns out of these people's hands, for good.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Lycus posted:

How are the snacks going to get to them? Is UPS going to deliver to the revolution?

As a True Patriot, you are already on your way because you heard the clarion call of the revolution, he's just letting you know what's on the shopping list before you get there.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Lotka Volterra posted:

This describes pretty much every non-major wildlife refuge, national park, national grassland, national forest, state park, etc. in the country. Should we cede all of this land to insane militiamen to be destroyed because "welp, it's in the middle of nowhere!"

You may not, but people actually use and enjoy this land.

Thankfully, there aren't enough of them to do so by any stretch of the imagination, these guys are the fringe of the fringe.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Venom Snake posted:

remind me again why this loving country holds the marines up as some paragons of value when they are just the army but useless.

my grandpa calls them stowaways

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

ansel autisms posted:

Not that internet access would matter to Patriots, anyways.

Well, if they want it they will have to pay the bill won't they.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Volkerball posted:

I wonder how a republican president would react to a left wing armed occupation like this.

This used to happen from time to time in the 60s, they would shoot everyone involved and burn the place down.

I'm glad that it seems like cooler heads are prevailing in this case, it's just a loving shame that you only get sane treatment if your skin is white.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Bubbacub posted:

Even though they're total shitheads, I at least understand why people want to drive their ATVs around or whatever. But horse people are total loving nuts.

Horses aren't even native wildlife...

Not really much different from this thread.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Joementum posted:

I hope nobody sends them foil-lined juice boxes :ohdear:

They can't be trusted to handle those sharp straws by themselves.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Besides the silly impotent liberal rage, I don't see anybody actually trying to rally goon justice in here.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Tokamak posted:

They are already asking to be resupplied, and didn't fully realise that there is a reason why the BLM site is closed.

You would think that as military LARPers they would understand the basic concept of supply lines.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

So... Go then?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Liberal_L33t posted:

If we followed the train of logic that legitimate law enforcement actions are responsible for any and all acts of violent retaliation, does that mean that in response to the North Hollywood shootout, metropolitan police departments should have implemented a policy of always letting armed bank robbers walk away with their loot? Hey, they could always settle for trying to dig up and repossess the cash later when the criminals weren't looking, right? That would be less likely to draw a violent response!

Yes?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Man Whore posted:

My favorite part about these threads is the casual classism that gets thrown around at rural folk.

Don't these idiots know that these people are going to need to develop class consciousness before we're ever going to get this class war off the ground.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Like that guy said earlier, this is basically a major bummer to those groups, because it confirms their greatest insecurity that maybe they have devoted their lives to the false belief in a government boogyman, and maybe they are the delusional ones, not the American public.

Kind of an ideological buyer's remorse.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

How are they going to cook any of that holdout food if they don't even know how to build a fire.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

Here's a round up of conservative media reactiions.

It's actually pretty surprising. Things are playing out completely differently than from what happened at the Bundy Ranch.

Not surprising. This year the republican's deal with the devil they made ages ago is finally bearing fruit. The establishment has realized that they let the crazies they brought in and encouraged with insinuations is finally asking for those promises to be repaid and they're terrified.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

The Guardian is the same paper that said these guys had about two weeks worth of food if you count the bag of pretzels and the granola bar, so I'm a little confused by this latest report.

They have tv water and Internet they read the same story and are now putting on a show of how prepared they are

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

ShadowCatboy posted:

This is when the below-freezing temperatures outside becomes their ally.

The local insects and wildlife, not so much.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Iowa Snow King posted:

Why is the Sheriff the level of authority they're willing to accept?

For the same reason they wear cowboy hats in freezing temperatures. In their rich fantasy lives, they're cowboys, just like John Wayne.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Tough talk from a man who played make believe for a living.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Guys I don't think the people who are are the ones advocating for deescalation of police violence in all cases are the ones being logically and ethically inconsistent here.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Who What Now posted:

And yeah, the place where they're at is completely unimportant, except that some native Americans claim it has important documents held for them. But why should you give a poo poo about them?

Because it doesn't make sense to put dozens of lives in danger over some papers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

SedanChair posted:

To keep things fresh in a bigot's head.

I place no value on the lives of white militia members. Do you?

Has the revolution started? No? Then yes, I still value human life.

• Locked thread