Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

The feds can't go all Waco on them because it's federal property. Crafty bastards.

Is Oregon on of those "He was on my property,in my house so I shot him states?" Because if so I that would be amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I feel like they are going to pop a counter protester and thats whats gonna light things off, I think this is the first time I have really seen anyone go off on a counter protester before.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

mugrim posted:

If this was in the planning stages I would understand that, but it's full on execution. What's the debate?

I think his point is that the Feds now need them to do something so drastic that even that pissant judge cant excuse it away. Like I get it, the things they have already done are more than enough reason to get someone arrested but after that Judge botched the case the Feds literally need them to cross a line and shoot someone/hold someone hostage/act on their violent threats so a sympathetic judge wont declare it all mere words and toss it out which would further embarrass and damage the feds and would empower the militias. So yeah its loving dumb but it looks like the feds are trying to get a case that literally noone will defend.

But again, this is all just if I am reading it right.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

The danger here (beyond the immediate massive bloodshed problem) is that the state national guard is pulled from the state population, and as such is disproportionately likely to have militia sympathizers in its membership.

I would imagine a national guard member defecting to the militia or rendering any kind of aid to them if they were called into action would prolly get hammered every which way from Sunday by the courts, doubly so if for some magical hypothetical reason Obama gives a federal mobilization order to the state, if that happened they would get crucified by the military courts. Im pretty sure doing that kind of poo poo gets you shot by your buddies too. So yeah I don't think any one of them would be dumb enough to do that.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

remusclaw posted:

I don't think you know the military very well.

I think I know it well enough to know it looks very poorly on its own people assisting the other side, even more so if someone from the military gets injured because of it.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, but that person would become a hero to the Militia movement. They all have a fantasy that when Obummer orders the US Military to start to take orders from NWO UN Zionist leaders, they'd say hell no! And join in the true blue American patriots, and this would just play on that.

I feel like this is easily shut down by the fact that such defection, if it even occurred, would be minuscule at best. Who cares in the grand CW2.0 scheme if Billy Bob defects if the rest if the people in his unit don't? Just laugh and say "Well now lets see the %99.98 defect and then we will talk". Besides if such occurred the Militia movement would have a hero that pretty much the rest of the US would rightfully see as a traitor. Also who really gives a gently caress in the long run if it gives credence to their insane beliefs if it happens? They don't seem to need an actually person to point to feel fully confident it will happen and if it does happen I don't its going to be a major game changer. There is little to no chance of this defector getting away with it for long since the US really really doesn't like that poo poo so its not like they are going to run free without consequences.
Besides if they were smart the military would just use non local units minimizing the problem.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

A Winner is Jew posted:

Doesn't the Air Force and Officers skew that poll heavily since something like 95% of them are in favor of republicans?

Mr Interweb posted:

Most recent Military Times poll I saw says that there's a roughly 65/35 split in the military (well, at least the army) in favor of Republicans. I wouldn't be surprised if a ton of them defected to the militia's side against the tyrant Obummer.

If Obama for some reason decided to be a tyrannical overlord and did some mad power grab It would be morally and probably legally acceptable for the military to refuse to serve and defect to some militia. But thats not what we are discussing and is avoiding the point, what we are discussing is how would the military react if called to arrest a militia squatting on federal lands with no intent to leave and arming themselves, I really really don't think they are going to defect in numbers just to stick to the Democrat in the White house.

Edit: Like that would look really really really bad for the Army/National Guard/Whatever. Like people getting shot for treason bad. Like the entire Military getting a reorganization bad.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 21, 2016

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

sparatuvs posted:

I {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252
{\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset0 ArialMT;}
{\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red2\green20\blue31;}
\deftab720
\pard\pardeftab720\partightenfactor0

\f0\fs20 \cf2 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0
\outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 \
}

Command received, initiating Plan Gadsden.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

You say this like its a good thing

IF the video about the artifacts being stored in rat poo poo and crappy boxes for 30 years is true, and they didn't stage it, it actually looks like they want to do some good here. Getting those things out of literal rat poo poo and somewhere where they are kept and displayed properly is A Good Thing. If they actually do it that is.

Yo I work with collections at a pretty famous anthropological museum and you don't really know what you are talking about, which is cool cause its not super common knowledge about how collections work. Basically lol at trying to find the space to display everything as there are thousands upon thousands of stuff in our collection alone. Just storing things is a major space issue that pretty much every collection has. And yeah as someone mentioned above the way you deal with this is you display the most educational/eye catching/ politically available option and the rest get shelved for future exhibits or study years down the road. Rat poop on bags is not ideal but its not going to do any harm unless the bags are broken, which tends to happen when untrained people handle them.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

On my phone so I'm not going to into detail about Archaeologist/Native relations and NAGPRA (Discussion/Debate on this would be its own thread itself) but the local Tribe would have had a say in most if not all of the finds and repatriation of anything will be completely hosed if the militia moves poo poo in and out of boxes and mixes poo poo up. If that happens and the Tribe finds out I expect a huge lawsuit. They (reasonable so) take that poo poo seriously.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

https://twitter.com/LesZaitz/status/692170478425935876

Wasn't he the guy involved with the last stand off? The one behind setting up snipers and poo poo?

Semi wonder if the Feds gonna be slightly brutal with this as payback to being blue balled for so long but I cant really bring my self to care.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

One can only hope, maybe they'll learn to not take over towers because they look cool.

Correct, Prolly already a counter sniper team in place looking at the tower, its not like its a concealed place or anything.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

RuanGacho posted:

Good, this should be exactly what they're nailed for.

Whats the sentence on that?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Abner Cadaver II posted:

I really loving hope nobody decides to loot/trash the place as they leave. I'm sure a good number of artifacts are already destined to show up on e-Bay already.

Pretty sure that would illegal and Ebay wouldn't take them. All depends on if they know who the seller is.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Im seeing a bunch of tweets saying its tarp man who is dead

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Nessus posted:

A hundred and fifty cars? I guess they could just surround the place up close, inform Cooper that the blood of his children is now in his hands, and wait.

I was assuming there would be MAYBE 8-12 cars, maybe 20? 150 seems like they are really really not loving around and seems to me that this has been in the works for a bit. But I dunno how fast they can get that many vehicles so i may be wrong.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

sparatuvs posted:

I wonder if renforcements will actually show up

would be very bad

If Feds are going in instead of sieging I think they are way ahead of any possibly reinforcements.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

botany posted:

if that's true the american justice system is even more hosed up than i thought.

Eh not really its a "Your illegal actions have lead to the death of someone even if you didn't pull the trigger directly" clause.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Yo the dude literally got smashed by a car as a child and was left with permanent damage that he has had to deal with his entire life. He is an rear end in a top hat and an idiot for a whole ton of reasons but don't loving make fun of him for being the victim of an accident when he was a child.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

UIApplication posted:

Counterpoint - do make fun of him because he's a dumbass with a rap sheet a mile long

Agreed, to clarify feel free to make fun of him for being a dumb rear end "militia" man and other stuff. Just don't make fun of him for his past injuries is I guess what I was trying get across.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

akadajet posted:

I'm going to make fun of his dumb behavior and stupid face because he deserves it.

Ok

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

MechaFrogzilla posted:

This was pretty funny to read next to your new avatar.

This is the first time I have ever had an avatar besides the noobie one. I feel proud.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Prester Jane posted:

I bet the list of hilariously illegal poo poo that the militants brpugjt into the refuge and then were forced to abandon is going to be amazing.

I want to read that itemized list of everything in there

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Wait is he still in there? If so why the gently caress would they report that.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

So is everyone in custody or?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Captain Bravo posted:

I wonder if we started a conspiracy theory that Finicum was actually an FBI plant, tagged by paint rounds and spirited away to Witness Protection, how quickly some of these people would start beating that particular drum?

Only one way to find out.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Skinty McEdger posted:

I'm starting to get the uneasy feeling someone innocent is going to get hurt by this poo poo now. And in turn they'll get dehumanised by being labeled a crisis actor.

I don't like this at all.

Legal question, if a narrative forms around someone who is hurt by this and they are labeled a crisis actor do they have legal ground to sue for libel?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

RuanGacho posted:

I don't think the laws identify this anymore than they do "He's a 5 headed unicorn!" Which would make it free speech.

It was my (quite possibly mistaken) assumption that blatantly untrue statements that are publicized that had the effect of causing provable damage were actionable in court. If I am being bad and dumb please correct me.

Edit: Looking at the Oregon law codes for defamation seem to support my understanding of the law. So if calling people crisis actor picks up steam there could and should be law suits flying around. Best case scenario is that people have to issue retractions.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 2, 2016

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

RuanGacho posted:

I'm not a lawyer and I only pretend to understand municiple codes. I'm more speaking to the fact that the concept of a crisis actor is so out there to the average human being that it would be like declaring unicorns and has no legal precedent as far as I'm aware.

I feel like the general public would understand that someone is claiming someone else is a liar and a fraud easily enough. The word may be strange but I feel like the concept would not be.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Does the person saying it know it's false? Is the person it's said about a public figure? If so, is it said with malicious intent? Does it actually harm the person it's said about? Those are the things that will factor into the defamation alalysis. The latter factor is the one likely to neuter a claim, because only a couple fringe idiots on blogs are likely to take such a claim seriously.

That said, suppose a hundred idiots sunk their teeth into it, blanketed someone's community with leaflets or w/e, and they lost their job. The sure you've got a comparable defamation claim. You will likely be seeking damages from someone who lives in their van though, so good luck.

I may be internet lawyering but I feel like most of there statements could be construed as defamation per se and thus damages are not required to be proved and are automatically assumed. But yeah we are a bit off topic now so Ill stop posting about law stuff. If any one has experience with Oregon law feel free to rip my theory a new one.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Holy poo poo FBI negotiator dude is has waaaay more patience then I would at this point.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Sooo is the streamer doing enough to be charged yet?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No Butt Stuff posted:

what is she doing that's illegal? it sounds like she's just talking him down.

Pretty sure she has at mutiple points told them to refuse the Feds demands.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

This is getting not so fun. Like, I'm convinced they are gonna kill themselves and I don't think I wanna listen to people killing themselves.

I do since it will nip any matyrdom in the bud.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Jeff should just bail on the three extra crazies. Unless he is some sort of super crazy.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

That laugh

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Really enjoying this negotiator listening to the stream and saying "nope thats not going to happen."

Streaming is magic in so many ways.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Unironically want the FBI to call a prayer.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Oh poo poo, essentially prayers are not enough means god is not enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

She's staring at an FBI agent and getting fed lines right now guarantee it.

I would have been suprised if she was not contacted or collected at the airport, the feds had to know she was coming.

• Locked thread