Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
many johnnys
May 17, 2015

> SNACKS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Roland Jones posted:

Well, I posted that article about how the Hammonds abused their underage relatives on Facebook, and my uncle commented ""Ten mile hike and lil sand paper never hurt anyone lol. Seems to me media trying to divert attention from the real reasons behind there harassment of this family". Though I mean, we already know that he abuses my aunt, so I guess this is less a surprise and more an unpleasant reminder.

Anyway, yeah. Those wondering who actually supports these people? That's who.

Your uncle is a lost cause, who likes hurting children.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

As a Millennial I posted:

worthless, inedible birds

*bird looks at camera*

It's a living...

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Crain posted:

Apparently the Pacific Patriots Network hasn't actually left. This reporter is saying 15-30 still around Burns:

https://twitter.com/amandapeacher/status/686644782987268097

The Bundy duders don't have the authority to tell any other group to leave.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

theflyingorc posted:

"They" are? The reports I've seen seem to indicate that separate, supportive groups with poorly defined ties to the occupation are doing these things.

It was a while back, but did the bundy group encourage other people to drive in and join the protest/occupation/insurgency? And were disappointed when few people did at the time?

If they did, then the people who came to join the occupation are in fact tied to the occupation, even if the bundy guys don't want them to after the fact.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Kazak_Hstan posted:

I would wager there's a lot of coordination. Bundy turning the "Idaho three percenters" back seemed more like optics to me than genuine opposition to armed outsiders getting involved.

It's been said, but the bundy guys are armed outsiders

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

STAC Goat posted:

Well how do you stop someone from bringing stuff to them? You can't stop them 20 miles out and force them to stop driving on the road, can you? Wouldn't you have to sent up a check point at the property and wouldn't that risk armed conflict with the militia?

Signs and road spikes on the roads leading there? I'm spitballing

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Is there a source for the whole hostage thing? There have been mumblings about them planning to take the sheriff hostage.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

CommieGIR posted:

Just the Twitter of one of the reporters covering the conference with their 'Judge'.

Is their judge one of the original insurgents? Or one that came in from elsewhere later on?

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

CommieGIR posted:

A 'Common Law' court.

AKA: Whatever they pull out of their rear end is legal, and everyone will be sentenced in absentia.

There are militants patrolling the town and have pockets of local support. It's a small town too so they could probably just haul in anyone who disobeys and try/sentence them.

Baby steps though. First they need to eliminate any local resistance, such as the sheriff. They don't have to actually kill him - running him out of town would probably be enough to pacify the local cops. How do they do it out in Yemen?

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

I hope they leave peacefully and let the town return to normal, instead of continuing to patrol it and capturing the sheriff like they are apparently discussing.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Discendo Vox posted:

The "militants patrolling the town" are mostly unaffiliated hangers-on, who haven't done anything anyone can be charged with.

They asked "patriots from all over the country" to join the fight. They're a different group but they're definitely affiliated now. They were invited there.

many johnnys fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 13, 2016

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Discendo Vox posted:

That's really not sufficient for a legal case and they still don't have identifiable people actually doing illegal things in town. Cruising around being a dork with your AR isn't enough without other elements.

Sure, but I wasn't speaking in a legal sense. Just getting a hold of the situation: an armed gang of occupied a federal building, threatening the town, they rallied other would-be insurgents to their cause, and there are now rumblings of them wanting to, or planning to try, to take the sheriff hostage. They are now trying to set up their own court system, and have armed militants patrolling the town. I mistakenly conflated the two - it turns out that the second insurgency was merely invited by the first, but they are a separate group. Townspeople are being harassed - some explicitly and having to flee (such as the sheriff's family), others merely at random trying to go about their lives.

Legalistically, I don't know what they're going to call it. But to the average person, it is what it is.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Discendo Vox posted:

Don't do that. Don't be a sovcit.

What?

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

SquadronROE posted:

The best thing from the last couple of days has been the use of the term "militants" to describe them

Aren't they though :confused: ??

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

BabelFish posted:

The sovcit stuff has gotten bad enough that Florida made a training video explicitly for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALPs_n0WQaY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALPs_n0WQaY&t=442s
dang that got heavy

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

BaurusJA posted:

Holy poo poo the kid walked up and executed two cops? Like just defending himself wasn't enough he had to literaly execute two people in cold blood?

He was defending his liberty. :911:

many johnnys fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 14, 2016

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Internet Webguy posted:

What happens when the Feds trump their Super Sheriff by appointing an Uber Sheriff Times Infinity Plus One No Takebacks? What then?

infinity plus two, BITCH

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Reminder: the first time Cliven scared the federales off his case with a threat of violence was in the mid 90s.

But don't worry, they'll get all these guys. Any day now.

some time in the next 20 years I'm sure

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Roland Jones posted:

Yes it is. Go watch that Florida police video where the teenager gets out an assault rifle and guns down two cops, making sure to shoot them when they're down. Or the two who went from the Bundy ranch to go kill a cop in Las Vegas. Those are the kind of person doing this, and they're not only congregating in the refuge, they're patrolling the town with their weapons and scaring the hell out of its inhabitants. They're stalking government employees and their relatives. They've literally talked about lynching the sheriff. These people are a risk to both the people of Burns and themselves, and giving them free run of the town is massively irresponsible.

Pulling over a sovcit

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Main Paineframe posted:

even if they said something threatening but made no effort to follow up on that threat with action.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

prefect posted:

Can they fill the building with sleeping gas and then just drag the people out afterwards?

That's not a thing

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

In video games you can use gas grenades or tranquilizer rounds and the enemy just goes "ungh" and falls asleep for a while. In real life you will do nothing, or you will suffocate or kill them.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

prefect posted:

How about some type of gay bomb?

done

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Main Paineframe posted:

Rather than needing magic words to avoid the law, many sovereign citizens believe that the law doesn't apply to anyone in the first place, and that the entire modern legal system is an incredibly elaborate ruse designed to trick and intimidate people into waiving that exemption. The believe their "magic words" are just a way of exercising and defending their rights, just like a white college kid repeating "I do not consent to this search of my vehicle" over and over as a cop reaches for the bag of weed under the driver's seat. To them, being arrested and hauled into court is just the state putting on a show of legal theater to scare them into accepting the court's authority. Typically a sovereign citizen believer's brush with the system is something minor like traffic tickets or unpaid taxes, so it's not often they get tazed or jailed; when they do, they believe it's police brutality or illegal confinement and hold faith that their magic words will get the cops and the court punished for this so-called abuse.

Yeah, it's like that idea that a company or person can't force you do do anything you didn't agree to, and if you won't want to play by their rules you can just not sign the contract. They argue that since they didn't agree to the contract, they're not bound by the terms of it. Except the contract is the social contract, and the government doesn't work that way.

I'm fond of that one legal paper penned by an Alberta judge: Meads v. Meads, 2012 ABQB 571. (and here's a pdf link). Frustrated by the phenomenon, he dissects it.

quote:

[395] OPCA litigants who adopt this scheme tend to identify practically any state document, even a driver’s license or a birth certificate, as a contract. CERI members explain that is the reason why they do not use driver’s licenses or license plates. They argue, in effect, that they do not wish to be in a contract with the state, and should be able to engage in activities, for example operation of a motor vehicle, without being bound to the state in that manner.

[396] These persons go to great lengths to scour away all ‘contractual’ links, expecting that at some point the state’s authority will evaporate. The ‘everything is a contract’ concept may also emerge in a court context in another way. A OPCA litigant may, for example, demand to know whether the court is offering to enter into a contract with a litigant, or the terms of the contract between the court and the OPCA litigant.

He also gets in some pretty good burns.

quote:

[80] When gurus do appear in court their schemes uniformly fail, which is why most leave court appearances to their customers. That explains why it is not unusual to find that an OPCA litigant cannot even explain their own materials. They did not write them. They do not (fully) understand them. OPCA litigants appear, engage in a court drama that is more akin to a magic spell ritual than an actual legal proceeding, and wait to see if the court is entranced and compliant. If not, the litigant returns home to scrutinize at what point the wrong incantation was uttered, an incorrectly prepared artifact waved or submitted.

quote:

[434] As previously explained, Mr. Meads subscribes to the idea that the non-corporeal aspect of himself was created by the state (or alternatively by me, on June 8, 2012). He must believe he nevertheless has ‘signing authority’ over that other personality because in his “power of attorney” he, as “DENNIS LARRY MEADS, Debtor and Grantor”, authorizes his “attorney-in-fact”, “Dennis-Larry: Meads, Secured Party Creditor” total control over his affairs. Presumably, the ‘corporate entity’ is now a puppet for the physical person.

[435] The UCC Financing Statement registered in Ohio for a Certificate of Birth purports to create or reflect a trust of “DENNIS LARRY MEADS, foreign situs cestui qui vie trust” in favour of “Dennis-Larry:Meads, as Beneficiary of the Revested Trust”. The document continues:

<a whole bunch of nonsense>

Translated out of ‘gibberese’, Mr. Meads is purportedly assigning the value of his birth certificate, a “commercial transaction” presumably with Canada, to his “flesh and blood” self.

[439] Of course, that does not work. Mr. Meads is Mr. Meads in all his physical or imaginary aspects. He would experience and obtain the same effect and success if he appeared in court and selectively donned and removed a rubber Halloween mask which portrays the appearance of another person, asserting at this or that point that the mask’s person is the one liable to Ms. Meads. Not that I am encouraging, or indeed would countenance, the wearing of a mask in my courtroom.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

If they sent $1000 of whiskey instead, the standoff might very well be over by now

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I don't buy the idea that its impossible for the FBI of all people to cut power to one remote set of buildings without affecting people 30 miles away but whatever.

If they had guys go to the site, they could cut power to just the one. From the power station or whatever, they'd knock off power for neighboring ranchers as well.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

As a Millennial I posted:

Is the power company privately owned? If so, the freedom-loving militiamen should step aside and let them do as they will with their own power lines.

It's still dangerous and you know it.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Subterfrugal posted:

Longevity really is the Fed's superpower though. "Feel free to freeze your asses off patrolling Bundyland. We'll think kindly of you when we auction off the assets we seize from your estate. :byewhore:"

Evil Fluffy posted:

The government can garnish your wages (or just seize assets) and there's gently caress all you can do about it.

The government couldn't seize a handful of cows.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

I am not a book posted:

I mean, I heard somewhere that these chucklefucks are actually FBI plants, which would explain why they aren't getting beatdown.

They are not.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Malleum posted:

John Brown was hanged for treason despite not having the ability to start or maintain an armed insurrection. Ability has nothing to do with whether or not a traitor is a traitor.

Treason is a bullshit charge, please don't defend it.

edit: that is, yes I get why treason is prosecuted by the state, and I kind of understand the argument that they are participating in it. But of all the things they have done, you as a person should be least concerned about their disloyalty toward the United States of America.

many johnnys fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 18, 2016

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Why did the hammonds go to jail again? Can they prove who exactly was holding matches when starting the arsons? I mean they don't have video footage or anything of the fires.

I mean yeah he instructed his nephew to drop lit matches along the countryside until he ran out, and said "We are going to light up the whole country on fire", but that's just speech so why are they in prison? In light of Huratee, sounds like the Bundys have a case!!!!!!!

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

I saw the argument about the FBI piling up little things for each individual militant instead of throwing the book at them for their little armed uprising, and thought "well how does that apply to the hammond case that ostensibly kicked this thing off from the start"? I overlooked that the Hammonds straight-up admitted to the fires (I had a brainfart and assumed they'd deny)

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

size1one posted:

Class C felonies are up to 5 years in prison and up to $125,000 fine.

Doesn't apply to bundy

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Shbobdb posted:

Non-compliance means death or bodily injury! Remember: cops are your friends.

It looks like Sovcits are right, there are certain magic words you can say to short circuit the legal system. Unfortunately, a short circuit results in getting tasered or killed.

USA! USA!

Armed and dangerous man, who repeatedly says he's willing to kill police trying to arrest him and they'll never take him alive, who attacks them with his vehicle, then after a lengthy chase getting out and refusing to comply, and then reaching into his coat for his gun, is practically the definition of a good shoot.

theflyingorc posted:

Tarp man!
Ah-AAAAAAA-AAAHHHH!
Fighter of the G-man!
Ah-AAAAAAA-AAAHHHH!
Tried to pull his gun!
Ah-AAAAAAA-AAAHHHH!
You're a master of bad driving, and dying, for being dumb.

Tarp man!
hahaha

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Shbobdb posted:

Nah. I fundamentally believe that cops should be able to shoot unless they have been fired upon. Even then, I'd prefer non lethal methods be at least attempted.

They signed up for the job and knew the risks. The life of a citizen, even a deeply disturbed one, always trumps that of LEOs on duty.

I'm pretty sure the tarped gunman also knew the risks, at the moment he tried to pull out his weapon to make good on his repeated threats to shoot police officers.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

stay free tarp ghost

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Who What Now posted:

Thread kinda exploded overnight, what happened?

Cliven is trying to take the reins and finish what his son started

townspeople came together to protest the outsiders occupying their town (or from the militia's point of view, counterprotesting their "protest"). The outsiders vow to stick around as long as the townspeople do this. The locals did go home at the end of the day though.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Mr. Belding posted:

But if those hundred guilty men each commit crimes that damage 100 other innocent men then we perhaps sacrifice 1000 lines when only one could have been lost otherwise, and so your cliche crumbled under the weight of math, logic, and 4 seconds of relatively disinterested scrutiny.

100 times 100 is not 1000 math genius

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Booourns posted:

I know it's the middle of the night day, but holy poo poo take the tip chat somewhere else

• Locked thread