Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Sucrose posted:

Obviously I don't support Cliven Bundy and his gang of gun-toting assholes, who are going to get someone killed, but the ranchers in question still ought to be sentenced to the jail time that the judge originally saw fit to give them, not given a 5-year mandatory minimum for breaking a terrorism statute.

I just hate mandatory minimums in general. At the same time, from the OregonLive article on the first page:

quote:

The government acknowledged that the next fire, in 2006, was intended as a defensive move. Steve Hammond set backfires to keep a lightning-caused fire from burning onto the Hammonds' ranch and hitting their winter feed.

But the government said Steve Hammond lit up on the flanks of a butte, despite a countywide burn ban and the knowledge that young part-time firefighters were camped up higher. Their crew boss spotted the fires, which were set at night, and moved the crew.

Wildfire Response is already dangerous enough without some dumb fucker setting another one overnight without telling anyone. The Hammonds easily could have killed a team of firefighters.

AND that was at minimum their third offense, after a warning in 1999 and the other charge listed in 2001 (while covering up illegal hunting).

Just the same, I do still have some sympathy for them now being linked publicly with these peckerwoods despite declining their "help".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Aspergeoisie posted:

Having witnessed and arguably participated in many protests over the past few years, these guys are just doing what Occupy and student demonstrators and BLM have been doing for years. The only difference is they're doing it with guns and picked a literally useless shed in the middle of nowhere rather than a university building that hosts classes or some major automobile thoroughfare. All of this "muh white terrorist" backlash is therefore hilarious and overblown. Ammon and his clowns are nothing more than attention whores and people are literally bitching that they aren't getting enough mainstream coverage.

Aspergeoisie posted:

The only difference is they're doing it with guns

That's a big difference.

I'd say the line between terrorism is somewhere between "blockading the cafeteria with tables" and "threatening to kill anyone trying to arrest you".

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
dang ^^^^

drilldo squirt posted:

They took over a state building in california if I remember right.

Oddly enough, in protest of California's (under Reagan) passing of the Mulford Act, which banned Open Carry in response to the Black Panthers.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Captain Bravo posted:

It's not their fault the wood in the area doesn't burn well! We should help these patriots out by sending them a few pallets of beans so they can light their farts to stay warm.

The wood in the area burning well is kind of what started this mess. Kind of.

• Locked thread