Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

Jarmak posted:

I'll help you out then, it's because they don't have a response to an argument so they just stamp their feet and make personal attacks.

Correcting your misinformation isn't a personal attack.

There were three deaths at Oakland OWS. One protester killed himself, one asphyxiated himself accidentally in his tent and another protester was murdered nearby the protest. Note the important distinction: the OWS guy was killed, OWS protesters didn't kill someone. An LGBT women was killed in her car but never saw anything beyond it just being during and nearby the OWS.

You also surprisingly leave out little thing thing like Scott Olsen, a vet no less, getting beanbagged in the head by police, got a skull fracture and the cops tear gassed the people trying to help him. But you know, details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

Intel&Sebastian posted:

read the next screed.

Why would you do that to yourself?

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

Boner Zone posted:

Is this guy for real

What, you dont remember the OWS-spawned terrorists? Just doing a minor fact check on Jarmak's 'OWS murderers' bullshit there wee plenty of sites backing up him and painframes delusions. Pajamas media, MMO-gamer, Alex Jones. It's out there if you just open your eyes.

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

Prester Jane posted:

There is no plan beyond "winning". There is no concept of long term strategic thought here. They just want to make their stand and if they happen to win they will worry about what to do about it then, and not before.

Narrativists don't think in the terms neccesary for long term strategic thought. It's all in the moment. As long as they fight the good fight it will all work out.

And the retards they vote into congress are exactly the same. I think it was the CR/Debt ceiling standoff where Obama called their bluff and said 'ok, you get everything you want' and they STILL refused and one idiot tea partier congressman actually told a reporter in a televised interview that they didn't know what they wanted but they had to get something.

He didn't know what the goal was aside from they had to beat Obama.

Edit: this idiot: http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/gop-congressman-says-he-doesn-t-know-what-republicans-want-in-shutdown-fight

"We have to get something out of this. And I don't even know what that is". Because "we're not going to disrespected"

Toasticle fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 2, 2016

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

theflyingorc posted:

That's...a bit different. Not entirely, but congressmen are mostly attempting to get re-elected, not to accomplish things - so there can actually be a purpose to just "winning" - they get votes.

Of course it's pandering to their base but it's the same "We need to win" with no idea what that even means.

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

drilldo squirt posted:

Honestly, I'm starting to feel kinda bad for the crazy people also.

I've always felt a little bad for SovCit types, at least the not batshit ones (The government owes you a bajillion dollars in gold!). I can understand the frustration with the way the legal system has become this labyrinthian monstrosity that nobody without a law degree has any hope to even begin to comprehend and even the ones that do can have wildly different interpretations of the same laws.

I can understand them not understanding how just because a law says X decades or centuries of case law can end up with a very different reading today, or not knowing that laws changing/amending those original laws even exist or how they work. They see how exacting the legal system is in how things are done and I can see falling for someone selling them what looks like a strict methodology of 'this one trick judges hate' because without a degree you have no chance of understanding it correctly, and honestly they are rightfully pissed that the current court system will destroy you if you can't afford a good enough attorney and the justice system overall has shifted from finding the truth to finding someone to punish. The latter I think is morons who vote for judges and DAs based solely on how many times did they 'win', whether it was the right guy or not doesn't even come into it.

Idiots getting tazed by P. Barnes I still laugh at. Being a smug little prick acting like laws don't apply just because you didn't engage in "joinder" or whatever the gently caress they spout or demanding a 911 operator agrees to your 300,000 fee for stopping for the cops chasing you are just retarded.

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape
Yeah, it's the same reason I can have tiny bit of empathy for the non-racist tea party types. I agree with them that the fed has become a bloated mess that can't even function properly anymore and is more interested in protecting the 1%.

I just disagree that the solution is an accelerationist 'just burn the whole thing down'. It absolutely needs a serious overhaul and way the gently caress more transparency but just grinding it to a halt is just going to make things worse.

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

eviltastic posted:

You are both right, but I'd emphasize that this can be a pretty understandable reaction even when the system is not broken, just because it's so foreign. A pro se litigant is probably going to feel like "magic words" stuff is what's going on when they run headfirst into the rules of evidence at trial, because the idea of even having restrictions on how you tell a story is so alien to their previous experience.

Absolutely. Even if you 'fixed' the problems in the court system it's still a horribly complicated system that a layperson will get chewed up by. People having no clue how things rules of evidence work and not understanding they just can't tell their side of what happened unrestricted can easily lead to them buying into assholes peddling their magic words system.

I wouldn't be surprised if shows like judge Judy where that's how it happens leads some people to believe that's how an actual court works,

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape
Besides the four still refusing to leave the refuge there was the final arrival of the militia posse (couple dozen, maybe 100 idiots or something) but they are spending their time annoying the town residents who almost universally want them gone, Cliven finally showed up to support the militia civilian 'court' issuing an order for the militia to round up the FBI and sheriffs for violating the Magna Carta or something. Who are apparently taking their order from the French and the IMF and assasinated tarpman. Said frenchies are treating the four like the retards they are by helpfully reminding them not to kill themselves sleeping in cars with the engine running and provided them with a phone and charger which probably can only call the FBI. I think they finally cut the power and blocked their phones from making outgoing calls. The militia aren't accomplishing much beyond getting ridiculed and helping get more charges added to Cliven and his kids.

Also Ammon is begging the four to please leave most likely because if they pull something idiotic it'll just pile more charges on him. Of course it was worded to imply the FBI are violating the version of laws and the constitution that only exist in the fever dreams of SovCit types. Some city councilman or something got called on his stolen valor bullshit and resigned. They've essentially entered the we need something to call a win stage before they run out of food and/or freeze to death. Fry will probably do a tarpman death by cop, not sure if the other three have done much more than babble about dying for our freedoms and will probably just poo poo themselves the second the FBI does anything.

Positive I've got some details wrong but who cares.

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

There were always random assholes in GBS tipping threads talking about how they would lay out a pile of singles and remove bills each time the server displeased them, I always assumed it was stdh.txt until I actually saw someone do it a couple months ago. I ended up throwing a :10bux: on her table because by the time he left it was like $3 (My wife and sister had to waitress when they were younger so gently caress leaving her a 'gently caress you' tip) Did I just find the one asshokes who actually does this or do other people actually do it.

This asswipe was taking singles away for poo poo like 'didn't refill my drink fast enough', I wish I could still be shocked how much of an rear end in a top hat people can be to service people.

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

Perfectly Safe posted:

Racist code words - Canadians - bad tippers - tipping. All about tipping. Everything you wanted to know and lots more!

You can see how it can happen.

Nah, it's much simpler

Last four are going to end up turning on each other in a resivoir dogs Mexican standoff which had the big scene about tipping.

Actually this wouldn't surprise me. FBI gives them a phone, whether or not it's true they figure out its actually got the mic and camera on so the FBI can spy on them, one cuts off Fry's ear for being an FBI plant and then they execute each other.

Toasticle fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 4, 2016

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

Prester Jane posted:

I'm not an expert nor have I claimed to be. The experts are working for the FBI. I'm a crank with an unusual insight that has contributed to the thread. Expert I am not, nor shall I ever be.

You have some good an interesting insights but you've defiantly acted as the threads solo expert on how these people think and would act if provoked in ways you think would be bad. I've read you're posts and they are fascinating but you have insight into your personal experiences but seem to think it applies to way more than it does.

You're a great poster, but you have taken on a bit of 'I'm the expert on how these people think' that's been off putting a few times. I'm sure you don't mean to be but you're getting too defensive over stuff that's literally just different opinions.

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

Biff Rockgroin posted:

Can I just say how much I LOVE the fact that Ammon Bundy lawyered up immediately... While sticking his own brother with a public defender?

Ryan's probably better off, he'll get an actual defense attorney, Ammon will probably hire some SovCit loon. Although being in the hole for a couple weeks may snap him into reality that he needs a real lawyer.

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

theflyingorc posted:

If you've got an actual proposal for what should have been done, share it. Otherwise, you're not really saying anything at all.

Not letting roving bands of armed lunatics roam around town scaring and outright threatening the residents would have been nice. Or not letting them receive supplies, as much as it would have sucked stopping dildos and lube shipments. If people want in fine, but once you're in you don't get to leave to go shopping and pick up snacks at the post office.

They want to barricade themselves in a bird watching building fine, let them stew and start turning on each other but keep the actual residents safe from them. If they wanted to make an attack on law enforcement protecting the town that would almost certainly have just painted them as the crazies.

I'm not even saying barricade them in but keep them away from a town that overwhelmingly wants them gone.

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

theflyingorc posted:

The people doing the harassment appear to have been those from other hanger on groups, not those at the refuge. Allowing them freedom of movement is exactly what led to Ammon & co getting captured.

edit: The harassment was going on for weeks BEFORE the occupation started. The FBI's treatment of those on the refuge is ALMOST unrelated to it.

They caught them going to a nearby town out in the middle of nowhere. Allowing them in town got them one guy for stealing a truck. I didn't study the indictments but I don't recall much of anything town related and if there were they are minor compared to the list of federal charges just occupying the refuge and making threats from there.

Law enforcement is supposed to protect innocents from crazies. How is their job, repeatedly demanding posters for details as to how they should have done it is idiotic, and I can't fathom any other town or city having armed militia making direct threats against even the local police being told "we're just going to let them wander around and threaten to hang your sheriff/police chief so we can add some relatively minor charges to the pages of serious federal charges we already have". Even the threats against BLM employees and the sheriffs had nothing to do with where they made them.

Playing the long game is fine, it's letting them terrorize the residents for weeks that's some peoples problem.

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

kartikeya posted:

I'll be the first to agree that some poo poo some Mormons have pulled (Prop 8, Anne Frank, and so on) is utter crap.

But you aren't being generous by labeling everyone in my religion as being either 'victims' or 'perpetrators', you're being an rear end in a top hat. Hope that helps.

Victim I agree but perpetrator, sorry. The LDS spent a fuckton of money to discriminate against gays in California with prop 8. You are a member of that church so by proxy you helped support it. I may disagree with pro-lifers but if you are a member of a group that on the national level supports and promotes the PP video garbage even if your local chapter didn't you are still supporting a massive disgusting lie even if indirectly.

If I'm misinformed I'll retract it but LDS is to the best of my knowledge a single organization so any money you've given them a portion went to discriminating against gays. Even if your local church disagreed it's still part of that organization. Your church may do a poo poo ton of good but it still is part of an organization that spent a huge chunk of cash not doing good work but inserting itself into politics for a disgusting cause. Even if it wasn't prop 8 a church that inserts itself that deeply into politics should lose its tax exempt status. You get that exemption for staying out of politics and I'll be honest it does piss me off that your church gets away with it. Yeah most do it too but not so blatantly and didn't have to worry that the IRS would step in and say no, you don't get to do that and that's just wrong.

As whacky as some Mormon beliefs are I don't really view them as more or less weird than other religions but LDS spent some of your money not helping the poor or other doing good but to push laws that discriminate against gay rights, sorry.

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

kartikeya posted:

I recently mentioned Prop 8 being really lovely, but I'll try to elaborate (in a very short sort of way): yeah, it was really loving lovely.
That's splitting hairs. It was lovely, I don't agree with it, a lot of Mormons don't agree with it and also think it was lovely, and the announcement that came out in support of it also acknowledged that a lot of members weren't going to be in support of it and they should make their own political decisions (albeit, with a heavy encouragement toward supporting such measures). There are things my religion/church has done that I don't like, I don't think that's a unique position to be in for anyone in a large organized religion.

How they shuffled their books is irrelevant to the fact that they, as a church, should not be allowed to do so. Preach to your members (as murky as that is) but funding anything political should be not allowed, full stop. And not against you but I seriously doubt wiki is going to have actual insight into church finances, especially one as large as the CoLDS.

quote:

Prop 8 wasn't just a Mormon thing. It was a Catholic thing and also included a great many other denominations. That doesn't excuse the LDS church in any way, but I feel confident that an awful lot of Catholics weren't in support of it either (or, you know, Jews. Or Eastern Orthodox members. Or all evangelicals

I didn't mean to single out Mormons, all kinds of evangelical organizations were involved, I'm just not aware of them dumping as much cash as LDS did, and the fact that they were allowed despite supposedly it being a lose tax exemption thing and nobody even mentioned that happening is what pisses me off. Preach gays are evil, whatever, but you don't get to pour church money into things like prop 8, and my other point was despite how much you may disagree with what they did you can't just divorce yourself from the parts you don't like. Your church did this, you can't say well I didn't support it and have it somehow absolve you. If you are part of an organization that does this kind of poo poo then, however small, you are supporting it. I donate to the aspca, peta can go gently caress themselves with how much they waste on publicity stunts.

And don't take this me attacking you (despite you calling other people assholes), I just don't agree that you can claim you can simultaneously be a member of an organization but only the parts you agree with. If you actively try within the church to get them to stop then I can respect you for that.

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

Talmonis posted:

I worry that the local conservatives might try for jury nullification.

Federal court judges wouldn't allow a defense attorney to finish the word nullification before having him tazed and threatened with contempt. I've been a fed courtroom when a lawyer started to say it, surprised the gavel didn't break before he got past "null", cleared the jury out of the courtroom and read him the riot act.

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Sure, let's own guns! I'm all for it. But safety is the #1 concern, and people need to be trained a LOT more to own a gun.

I once posted in TFR after a post in LF or helldump was making fun of one of them posting a picture of his 6 or 7 year old holding his Walmart tactitool AR-15 (or something). I knew TFR is just TCC but for guns but didn't know just how bad.

It was about when I was 11 or 12 my father brought me to a gun show. Some guy brought in a pistol, empty clip but had a chambered. Was showing it to a guy at a table who pulled back the slide, saw the round and either slipped or just let go, it snapped shut and went off. Right into the chest of his grandson standing on the other side of the table while I was talking to him. After that my father sold his pistol collection because he felt having guns with kids was too much of a risk, even though I had standard gun safety rules already drilled into me, treat all guns as if they are loaded no matter what, never point a gun at something you do not intend to shoot, etc.

The guy being made fun of of response was he was 'teaching' his daughter not to be afraid of guns. I responded that A) kids SHOULD be afraid of guns, at that age you risk them viewing it as a toy and B)it's a loving gun in the hands of a child and called someone irresponsible for pointing his gun at the wall in his house when he's 'checking' (masturbating with) his guns. That response was "how else am I supposed to dry fire to check my gun dumbass', then how my father was a pussy for selling his guns.

So yeah, "responsible gun owners" :rolleyes:

My pussy father did take me out to the middle of nowhere in the Everglades where there was a spot where peope went to fire poo poo you can't bring to a range. That's when I learned that a full auto Uzi goes from full extended clip to empty before you've fully pulled the trigger and M91/30's will nearly dislocate the shoulder of a 17 year old who hadn't fire anything harder than an M-16 before (I think thats what it was before some TFR freak chimes in)

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I am not entirely sure I would put it that way but the stats are pretty darn convincing. If you own a firearm, the odds of a negative event go up dramatically - almost as dramatically as going from not having a shower to having a shower.

I am willing to risk a shower for its benefits. I am unwilling to risk a firearm for its benefits.

Yup. Odds of someone breaking into my house armed and willing to kill me for my tv are way the gently caress lower than an 'accidental discharge', and gently caress me taking a life over a $200 piece of electronics. Real life burglars aren't willing to die over it either, there's a reason they try and target houses/apartments when you're not home.

I'm a 3rd Dan black belt. I had a real teacher, the he's teaching us how to end a fight not 'win' a fight. The advanced classes for black belts the night we did how to handle a mugging he gave one of us a wooden knife and had each of us show how we would handle a mugger. Then had one of us mug him. He reached into his pocket, handed over his wallet then asked us what's in it that's worth either dying or killing for. Which in one of D&D gunchats made me a pussy of course.

Some kid did break into my apartment once when I lived in a lovely neighborhood, got two iPads and gave them to the 15 year old girl next door to try and sell. Of course she turned one on and I saw it on the find my device app, called the cops and got it back. I went to juvie court to advocate her getting put in a program and getting community service because I'm not going to help ruin the life of a stupid 15 year old over an iPad. Also a pussy.

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

NathanScottPhillips posted:

And since the US constitution is the longest lasting constitution in the world, maybe there is some merit to it.

It's also a document the writers felt should be rewritten every few decades to keep it relevant as society changed, why they even put in a way to [i]amend[i/] it so it could be easily updated as the U.S. changed!

If they saw how morons worshipped it 200 years later they'd make sure to put an expiration date on the drat thing.

Toasticle fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 23, 2016

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

NathanScottPhillips posted:

Yes, I agree. That's why we have a standing army and also why background checks, thousands of laws, and special licenses and registrations exist for gun owners.

The point you missed is framers like Jefferson thought the whole thing should be re-ratified every 19 years, not clinged to for two centuries.

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Do you see what the news has done by delaying the report on the audio recording?

Caused a discussion about what to do to stop these kinds of things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

Discendo Vox posted:

Please stop talking about guns. Please.

Can I make fun of TFR manchildren who are so insecure they ooze into any thread with the word gun and law in it?

Seriously it's loving pathetic having people who haven't posted in a thread once suddenly appear when the words gun and law happen together in a post. Is odd not seeing LeJackel yet. Is he ok?

• Locked thread