Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

If we want to start conspiracy theories, let's ask if these people have been in touch with the Trump campaign.

I hope these people are arrested peacefully and do a stint in the pokey for stealing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Personally I'm just tired of the vaporous delusions of rural whites being treated with deference and obsequiousness out of fear of their possible terrorist attacks, when actual grievances are violently suppressed by the police.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Lotka Volterra posted:

Yes, not interrupting innocent people's lives at all! Except, you know, the employees who work at the Refuge, the people who use the Refuge for recreational purposes, and the fact that they are specifically doing this not as a form of protest but to literally seize public land and turn it over to their buddies and/or personally profit from its use. You know, aside from all of that this armed robbery of public land is entirely victimless!

You have to be an idiot to compare riots that A) encompass a small subsection of ongoing protests B) happen as a reaction to real oppression, emphasis on real and C) tend to be heat of the moment and a result of tensions boiling over as a result of heavy-handed police tactics to a bunch of wingnuts deciding they're just going to steal land from the public and then threaten anyone who attempts to remove them with violent reprisal. But otherwise, these are definitely 1:1 situations and appropriate to directly compare. I very much do enjoy the fact that you think "no bullshit" is waving guns around and threatening violence in defense of the defilement and destruction of public land, though.
The difference is that these claim jumpers are rural whites while the urban rioters were both urban and of the negrous persuasion.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Lotka Volterra posted:

Of course. I'm sure that most of us goons that enjoy the outdoors have much greater appreciation for the places these militia idiots say were "stolen" from them than they do, regardless of where we live.
You probably appreciate it for its like, life and beauty and poo poo. These guys just want a chunk of terrain they can claim mineral and water rights from.

I suppose I can see why people living in the boondocks get frustrated with federal land use regulations but I also gather that if we let them go whole hog slaw dog on the Western landscape it would rapidly become barren and dead, losing a range of unique species and, at best, providing several years of meager funding for these idiots before they have no hope at all.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Lotka Volterra posted:

The sad bit is that evil environmentalists and scientists are incredibly willing to work with ranchers if they're not huge assholes, e.g. this ranch in Utah by Canyonlands. The reason these people find that everyone treats them like poo poo is because they're assholes who think that the land is theirs and theirs only.
That involves cooperation which waters down my sense of total dominance over the swath of scrub I have claimed. Good day, sir!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I do not blame B-Rock the Islamic Shock because he is making a sensible decision in the lovely environment which he did not create and which his opposition will only reinforce.

The greater point of "we will eventually have to stop catering to the frothing delusions of rural whites with such deference" is true, of course.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

It is pretty amazing that these guys are making glorious armed resistance out of "handing over wilderness to large companies to destroy," with, at best, they themselves being a middleman in the operation. Or do they have some deranged idea that they'll magically become wealthy agriculturalists on an Oregon bird preserve?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I imagine it's because the Forest Service or BLM are seen as the tentacles of Big Government that actually affect them by not letting them burn their land down and sell it for the oil rights (or whatever).

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Knifegrab posted:

So wait I am confused. Are they holding hostages right now?
Their only hostage at present is the wildlife preserve and federal buildings they're occupying. ANd themselves, maybe.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

ansel autisms posted:

Hard to even begin to have a dust bowl when you don't have any water to let you develop it in the first place. The only reason you see development in places like eastern Washington is because of ridiculously extensive irrigation from the Columbia River. Eastern Oregon, Nevada, and Utah etc. don't really have any sort of reliable water source for large scale agriculture.
I remember hearing people say without irony that we should open up Nevada to homesteading because people will surely be eager to become subsistence farmers in the desert and it will lead to an awakening of rural values and so on and so forth. Even as a dumb teenager my response was "with what water?"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

if they get away with this. which i somewhat doubt. i could see them taking hostages next time. or shooting up a goverment office in the sticks somewhere and then taking the survivors hostage.
I think they probably do have the advantage of being treated very carefully because nobody wants another Waco/Ruby Ridge, but this would evaporate quickly if they killed live humans or took hostages. They would still probably get treated much more moderately than an equivalent portion of black protestors but they would in fact be apprehended.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

chitoryu12 posted:

I love Joe O'Shaugnessy. He apparently thought that the ease with which they occupied the (empty, seasonal) building and the fact that they left the power on over the winter was a sign that the refuge was bugged and the government somehow lured them into occupying it.
That dastardly Obama has tricked us into discrediting ourselves with this inviting bird sanctuary!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Tacit toleration of people like this by one of America's major political parties, is my guess. The FBI probably smells getting their funding eviscerated if they harm one precious little sov-cit hair without iron clad provocation.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

If it was a free market structure they would have already set it on fire completely accidentally.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Blister posted:

John, the groups involved don't need to be discredited to the public; They're laughingstock s in the eyes of most people and anyone who took them seriously are using this as a way to reinforce and legitimize their ideas.
Unfortunately, the people to whom they are NOT a laughing stock are a pivotal constituency of the more recalcitrant of the American political parties, putting them in a pretty sweet position where their feelings must be considered and catered to in a way that, say, moderate Lutherans in Minnesota do not.

And as they are so fond of reminding us in ever increasing volume and fervor, they are fine with shooting at us reprobates.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

ISIS formed due to a complex chain of events rooted in large part in actual American invasion of a nation.

These guys got told they couldn't graze cows as much as they wanted to, because it would destroy the land.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

A hundred and fifty cars? I guess they could just surround the place up close, inform Cooper that the blood of his children is now in his hands, and wait.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Marijuana Nihilist posted:

why do so many people support these fuckers?
Very few do, but there's a lot of people in America. Also, they have the sheltering right wing of the great American chickenhawk to shelter under

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Going back a ways, how the gently caress do all these libertarian shitheads get jobs in the government when I can't? Is it some kind of affirmative action for dipshits?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Is there some kind of an article on the connection between these pricks and guys who want to open up public lands to private exploitation? The connection seems obvious enough but I mean if MJ did some journalism or whatever. It'd be real funny if those folks got busted for aiding and abetting terrorism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Can we sacrifice the cows to our Masonic lesbian goddesses?

• Locked thread