Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

blowfish posted:

But what about the poor shed?
I think the federal government should have a kickstarter to raise enough money for the value of the building, and then drone it. This should hopefully limit the MAH TAXDOLLERS reaction.

Alternatively, they could have an auction for exclusive broadcasting rights to its destruction. This could be a deficit-reducing military operation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

OxySnake posted:

Trust me they aren't going to freeze to death. There ideas of a glorious death are in a hail of gunfire against the evil Government.

When things start to get too cold people will realize this was a dumb idea and leave. People will see these militias aren't strictly trained professional soldiers. They are regular people who got in way too deep. Realizing this it could deter something like this happening in the future because "As soon as things get rough people leave. Maybe we should do something else."
Them leaving because it's cold or them going Alferd Packer on each other are both fine with me. Win-win. Though I think the most likely thing to happen is that they'll get word from the "community" that they're not welcome, and go home with some chants about the will of the people or something. I really, really hope arrests are made later. I'm still pissed that nothing happened to anybody after the Bundy Ranch nonsense.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Slate comes out with a South Park style "both sides are good/bad" article.

Here is the totally reasonable conclusion, that we should totally do, because it would in no way be unjust or spark more of this kind of behavior:

quote:

One dramatic option, which has been suggested, would be for President Obama to commute the sentences of the Hammonds and send Bundy and his men home. It would raise questions of equity but would remedy an injustice and promptly resolve the episode without risk of a violent ending that clearly is not in the interest of the country—or of the president’s own sincere commitment to reducing violence on the home front.

:psyduck:

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Perfectly Safe posted:

It's also worth noting that the longer this drags on, the more absurd, petty and incoherent the militia movement looks, which may serve to dissuade other people from doing this sort of thing for a while. They're sort of sending out the message "if you leave your bubble and actually act on your laughably cackhanded and transparently self-centred interpretation of the constitution, you'll be treated with a combination of fear and derision by pretty much everyone". So, you know, big picture.
If they had prevented them from coming and going as they pleased when this started, and prevented literal FedEx trucks from delivering supplies, this would all be over by now from cold and hunger, and they would have looked far more absurd, petty, and incoherent than they do now.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

The US doesn't negotiate with terrorists, unless they're white, christian, and conservative.
It's not technically negotiating if you just give them everything they want. :eng101:

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Pryor on Fire posted:

It's so surreal to see everyone taunting these people and practically giddy because the FBI shot someone. Christ, is our culture war horseshit really that entrenched in everyone now?

I remember back in the day when everyone hated the government, conservative and liberal. But now it's more important to fit in with your left/right tribe above all else and make fun of those OTHERS and make sure you keep fitting in with your side no matter what. Can't think critically, can't consider both sides, certainly can't do anything but support the government unconditionally no matter what because the other side is doing the exact opposite and we can't show anything that might be construed as empathy with those devils, no matter what!

It's to the point now where even young marxists and revolutionaries are beyond elated that the FBI just killed someone and is tuning in hoping for more deaths. Unfuckingbelievable that this is where we're at now as a culture.
Nobody is giddy "because the FBI shot someone". Everybody is happy that the FBI finally made a decisive move to end this. They've been going on for a month about how they're not going to go quietly, so only needing to take out one of them, and then the rest are arrested or run away, was extremely effective. The FBI looks very competent, and the Bundy Bunch look like cowardly losers, so it minimizes how much other militias will get worked up into a frenzy about this.

Everyone would be equally content if zero people died.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

If Ammon is fully Sovereignized and Loving It, he'll probably forego a lawyer and try to defend himself, and constantly break the rules for court proceedings.
He already has a private lawyer, while the other leaders have public defenders.

theflyingorc posted:

*of note: a number of "sovereign citizen" training videos/pamphlets are for-profit enterprises (give me $500 for my book explaining how to beat the government!). I suspect that many of these people aren't even true believers, but just opportunists actively creating crazy militia people to line their pockets.
While I recognize the damage this type of thing can cause, I can't help but admire these scam artists as True AmericansTM. :patriot:

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Ninkobei posted:

what's the opposite of 'sensing a great loss in the force' whenever a jedi knight dies?
"I felt a very small disturbance in the Force, as if millions of whiney voices cried out in terror, as they are always doing, and one of them was suddenly silenced. I think something inconsequential has happened."

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

What's the situation with the last four? Do they still have the actual building with supplies, or have the feds taken it over and they're stuck outside camping with no food left?

What about the dogs? Have they been rescued yet? Have they been getting fed?

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Al! posted:

If these guys had walked away when they could, they would've probably been given a slap on the wrist, but if they have rigged up a bunch of booby traps like you are saying, they've hosed themselves into a lot of time in prison.
I'm now imagining a bomb squad robot carefully going through the pile of dildoes to see if any of them have been rigged with explosives. I am also imagining a time traveler from the 1950s witnessing this, and having it explained to him that we have robots now, and they are sometimes used for examining sex toys for explosives. He would probably think that he's arrived into the worst imaginable dystopian future. I don't think he'd be very wrong.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

quote:

Bundy also told OPB that he planned on driving to Oregon.

“He doesn’t like to fly, and I don’t like to fly,” said Carol Bundy. “We’re land lovers."
Landlubbers? :ohdear:

That's not going to go over well in an admiralty court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

OAquinas posted:

Its basically used for conspiracies and criminal organizations, to take down the bosses who never get their hands directly dirty. Basically the charges that apply to one apply to all. Nasty stuff to be at the business end of it.
It was amazing to see how those four letters instantaneously changed the attitude about the original FIFA arrests from "a few underlings will get a slap on the wrist" to "everybody, all the way to the top, are completely hosed and going to prison".

• Locked thread