Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Allen Wren posted:

for these sorts of games, you'd think they'd have really killer memory management, and yet, inevitably, something breaks in the tables.

The developer of these games is sort of poo poo, and rather than fixing his games, just keeps cranking out new versions and charging like $40 for them

they have had DB errors for at least 6+ years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

JakeP posted:

The developer of these games is sort of poo poo, and rather than fixing his games, just keeps cranking out new versions and charging like $40 for them

they have had DB errors for at least 6+ years

To be fair he will work directly with you to fix tech problems that pop up and he listens to the community really well.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, this game seems like it's just a bunch of spreadsheets with a pretty skin on them. Are their DBs set up poorly or something?

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Podima posted:

I mean, this game seems like it's just a bunch of spreadsheets with a pretty skin on them. Are their DBs set up poorly or something?

It is a LOT of data and the end user cannot directly interface with every level of the data.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

CapitalistPig posted:

Podima was also getting set to have a long golden sandals run.

There is no way I would have done the job for him :colbert:

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Old Goon Fights was better.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

CapitalistPig posted:

To be fair he will work directly with you to fix tech problems that pop up and he listens to the community really well.

Hes a nice enough guy, and they actually play mafia games on their forums (though I think they ahve stopped over the years), I just don't think he is good at setting up efficient databases, and think its sort of lovely for him to keep putting out "new games" that are basically just the same game with a new skin, while never fixing the main issue with his games, that after playing them for long enough they always end up crashing.

Like even the database from WMMA to WMMA 2 to WMMA 3 is basically the exact same thing with maybe a few extra characters and a couple extra attributes per character. I used to play the poo poo out of the WMMA series but they would always break. If they were like $5 i'd be fine with it but he charges like $40, and the DRM they use is obnoxious.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

drat, Pecota retiring the champ, going out on top. Good stuff.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

JakeP posted:

Hes a nice enough guy, and they actually play mafia games on their forums (though I think they ahve stopped over the years), I just don't think he is good at setting up efficient databases, and think its sort of lovely for him to keep putting out "new games" that are basically just the same game with a new skin, while never fixing the main issue with his games, that after playing them for long enough they always end up crashing.

Like even the database from WMMA to WMMA 2 to WMMA 3 is basically the exact same thing with maybe a few extra characters and a couple extra attributes per character. I used to play the poo poo out of the WMMA series but they would always break. If they were like $5 i'd be fine with it but he charges like $40, and the DRM they use is obnoxious.

Yeah true. I see where you are coming from.

I think if he used some of that money to hire other developers to work with him and turn it into a real company instead of trying to do everything by himself it might help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
For some reason I get the impression he doesn't work well with others, and really prefers the lone wolf thing

• Locked thread