Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

craisins posted:

i googled "carplay illegal" and one of the first results was on macrumors and people there were irl mad and considered it a conspiracy against apple because no one cared about safety for microsoft sync or ford mytouch

sync and mytouch are truly terrible

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

samsung, mad that copying sonos didn't pan out for them has decided to introduce barely supported and incredibly fiddly surround format dolby atmos into their wireless soundbar system so now instead of 5 tinny speakers pointing the wrong directions you have nine!

as a bonus their own press image shows a ceiling with beams which would gently caress up "bounce" speaker sound [which is already a lovely compromise from just putting the speakers up there like designed]

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
come on dell

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
i cant wait to turn on cnet and marathon the whole thing with their hosts white noise, enthusiastic geek and token woman tomorrow

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

craisins posted:

since using a phone while driving is illegal in a bunch of states, how soon will it be until android car and carplay are illegal to use
lol I'm already imagining idiots yelling "our laws just aren't keeping up with the tech advances!!"

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
http://www.cnet.com/products/motorola-scout-5000/

hi mom
im doing great
job is ok
im working on a project
its a 200 bucks dog collar with a 20 dollar yearly data subscription so you can livestream from your dogs throat
i dont know

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

poty posted:

hi mom
im doing great
job is ok
im working on a project
its a 200 bucks dog collar with a 20 dollar yearly data subscription so you can livestream from your dogs throat
i dont know

we have an early dark horse contender for the worst product of the show from a company large enough to know better

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Phoenixan posted:

lol I'm already imagining idiots yelling "our laws just aren't keeping up with the tech advances!!"

they aren't keeping up

the tesla's all-touchscreen bullshit should be illegal

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

I hope Zoll makes his triumphant return.

a little older, a little wiser. more puckish and sinister than we ever could have imagined

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Clockwerk posted:

a little older, a little wiser. more puckish and sinister than we ever could have imagined

and More Fabulous Furs!!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Here is something you didn’t expect to hear about coming out of CES this year: Twitter has invested in Muzik, a “connected headphone” company.

This isn’t an Apple-Beats sized-deal — Muzik says it has raised $18 million over a couple of years, and Twitter is one of several investors — but it’s still an interesting one. And while Twitter has been putting money into other companies via its Twitter Venture arm, this is Twitter’s first investment in hardware.

Muzik makes wireless headphones that give users the ability to control the tunes they’re hearing by swiping on buttons on the outside of the device.

They can also use those buttons to share clips of songs they’re listening to to social networks. And Twitter’s deal means that it will be integrated directly into the headphones; Muzik will get to show off some of its stuff as part of Twitter’s CES display in Las Vegas this week.

Muzik’s first set of headphones, meant to compete with the likes of high-end/high-status brands like Apple’s Beats, will cost $299 and are supposed to start shipping in May. The company says it will have an in-ear model at $199 later this summer, and both Twitter and Muzik execs say the company’s technology will migrate into other products down the line.

It’s fair to ask why you would need headphones that let you share music to social services, since any music service you’d listen to on those headphones — Spotify, Apple Music, etc. — already has sharing features built in to their phone apps. And if you’re using headphones to listen to music, it’s very likely that you’re using them with your phone.

But Muzik CEO Jason Hardi thinks he has a good idea, and he’s been at it for a while. Muzik first showed off a version of the headphones in 2013. Since then he has stopped and started while refining the product. Now he says he’s geared up for a full-fledged launch.

Meanwhile, music has become a big deal for Twitter, even if the company hasn’t quite figured out the best way to capitalize on it. Twitter says music is the the most-discussed topic on the service, and some of its most-followed users are musicians; I would assume Muzik would like to enlist some of them to promote their stuff.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

qirex posted:

Here is something you didn’t expect to hear about coming out of CES this year: Twitter has invested in Muzik, a “connected headphone” company.

This isn’t an Apple-Beats sized-deal — Muzik says it has raised $18 million over a couple of years, and Twitter is one of several investors — but it’s still an interesting one. And while Twitter has been putting money into other companies via its Twitter Venture arm, this is Twitter’s first investment in hardware.

Muzik makes wireless headphones that give users the ability to control the tunes they’re hearing by swiping on buttons on the outside of the device.

They can also use those buttons to share clips of songs they’re listening to to social networks. And Twitter’s deal means that it will be integrated directly into the headphones; Muzik will get to show off some of its stuff as part of Twitter’s CES display in Las Vegas this week.

Muzik’s first set of headphones, meant to compete with the likes of high-end/high-status brands like Apple’s Beats, will cost $299 and are supposed to start shipping in May. The company says it will have an in-ear model at $199 later this summer, and both Twitter and Muzik execs say the company’s technology will migrate into other products down the line.

It’s fair to ask why you would need headphones that let you share music to social services, since any music service you’d listen to on those headphones — Spotify, Apple Music, etc. — already has sharing features built in to their phone apps. And if you’re using headphones to listen to music, it’s very likely that you’re using them with your phone.

But Muzik CEO Jason Hardi thinks he has a good idea, and he’s been at it for a while. Muzik first showed off a version of the headphones in 2013. Since then he has stopped and started while refining the product. Now he says he’s geared up for a full-fledged launch.

Meanwhile, music has become a big deal for Twitter, even if the company hasn’t quite figured out the best way to capitalize on it. Twitter says music is the the most-discussed topic on the service, and some of its most-followed users are musicians; I would assume Muzik would like to enlist some of them to promote their stuff.

lol stop im crying

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
twitter is the dumbest company

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

poty posted:

hi mom
im doing great
job is ok
im working on a project
i dont know

oh god my dad is going to own this i know it

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
"It’s fair to ask why you would need headphones that let you share music to social services"

yes

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
well 2016 finally be the year of linux on your pet? ? ?

"your dog is really fast, what does he run?"

"gentoo"

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

well 2016 finally be the year of linux on your pet? ? ?

"your dog is really fast, what does he run?"

"gentoo"

a solution for all that barking.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
personally, i prefer "work breeds": they're dependable, hearty, and backed by centuries of evolution. that's why, when it comes to my pet, only one brand of linux will do: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.0.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

quote:

There's a new type of Wi-Fi, and it's designed to connect your smart home

Get used to the name Wi-Fi HaLow

So now, the group behind Wi-Fi is doing something about it. It's announcing a new type of Wi-Fi today that's meant to work on low-power devices. It'll travel farther and even do a better job of traveling through walls. Basically, it's an all around better option for smart home and IoT devices, at least if these claims hold up.

The new type of Wi-Fi is being called Wi-Fi HaLow (pronounced "halo") and will be an extension of the upcoming 802.11ah standard. The Wi-Fi Alliance intends to begin certifying HaLow products sometime in 2018, but the first of them may begin shipping shortly before then.

Essentially, this is Wi-Fi's answer to Bluetooth. HaLow is supposed to end up inside of fitness trackers, home sensors, security cameras, and an assortment of other single-purpose home gadgets. Wi-Fi is already inside of some of those things — like cameras — but getting inside of wearables and sensors is going to be a fight. HaLow will truly need to be a better option than Bluetooth. The Wi-Fi Alliance won't mention Bluetooth by name, but it implies that HaLow is comparable. "HaLow will provide similar characteristics in terms to battery life to technologies that are out there today," says Kevin Robinson, the alliance's marketing VP.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

halow

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

and you thought "bluetooth" and "zigbee" were bad names for wireless protocols

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

god gently caress

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

they didn't even bother to run the idea past some linguists or even normal people

everybody should call it hollow instead to annoy them

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Pinterest Mom posted:

802.a11ah standard

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
i hope MS sues them

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

All HaLow's Eve

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

computer toucher posted:

Finally, an upside to broken sound support

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

computer toucher posted:

just send ur dog a sigpup, or is ur smart collar not PAWSIX compliant??

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

has anyone done segfault yet?

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

just send ur dog a sigpup, or is ur smart collar not PAWSIX compliant??

boooooo

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

computer toucher posted:

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
ima buy a fuckkin oculus rift this week

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
nvidia keynote in 2 hours ima be in the air but expect good comedy when i land so you chucklefucks need to deliver

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://livestream.com/accounts/11530022/events/4599293
nvidia keynote is on
they're talking about cars

apparently self-driving cars will be powered by nvidia gpus. a whole new way for your car to catch on fire

oh wait it's also an nvidia cpu. and it's liquid cooled

i don't care about this at all

parts will be replaced... p-parts will be replaced... parks will be replaced (???)

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 5, 2016

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Malloc Voidstar posted:

https://livestream.com/accounts/11530022/events/4599293
nvidia keynote is on
they're talking about cars

apparently self-driving cars will be powered by nvidia gpus. a whole new way for your car to catch on fire

oh wait it's also an nvidia cpu. and it's liquid cooled

did any of their car poo poo from last year get used by anyone or anything?

reminder:

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
"it arguably drives even better than you do"
well that's not a very high standard

"we accelerated this by 30-40x. what would have taken a year now takes a month. excuse me, a day. a week."

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
cars can already crash from stuck accelerators tho

• Locked thread