Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Don Lapre posted:

Some of us have glorious plasma tvs

it has the richest, deepest dark greens of any available tv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Tony Hawk just name dropped Video Toaster on sony stage.

newtek would be proud.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

high resolution audio is like way, way more useless than 4k tv [which is already moderately useless]

quote:

This is SACD all over again, only this time there's a new Walkman that runs Android 4.2.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

oh man, sony is falling down the "we can sell audiophile stuff" when most people can't blind a/b a 256K mp3/PCM

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

someone post the x-fi graph now

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

pagancow posted:

oh man, sony is falling down the "we can sell audiophile stuff" when most people can't blind a/b a 256K mp3/PCM

gotta get in front of neil young's press conference tomorrow

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
I don't own a television.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
I don't care about the properties of displays. My brain compensates for any low fidelity because I look at the content rather than the pixels, allowing me to fully enjoy the media.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

pagancow posted:

oh man, sony is falling down the "we can sell audiophile stuff"

sony electronics has no loving idea what to do with itself and hasnt for a couple of years

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

pagancow posted:

they're going to swoop in and rule the mp3 player market now that the ipod classic is gone. they were playing the long game the whole time

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

drat. Goldmine this poo poo.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

shut it down

peak yospos

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB1D9wWxd2w

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Has the Nvidia k1 even been used in anything yet except the tegra tablet?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
If you didn't personally spend 20+ hours calibrating your display i dont know what to tell you. Enjoy your inaccurate cyan i guess.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

close yospos

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blg2zupWvKA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2ANnpHnUrc

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

jonney shih is the loving man, i dont care how lovely the products are he is just so genuinely enthusiastic

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

SO DEMANDING posted:

jonney shih is the loving man

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

movax posted:

I have one but it's only 30 inches :(

we used one of the Westinghouse 42in HDMI monitors for a long time, just left it on HDMI input and fed it from our receiver, it worked great

it's basically a giant Cinema Display HD (matte screen and all) from 2005 and now it's our dining/gaming room TV and still works just great

I don't like our 55in Sony in the living room as much, though it gets darker thanks to modern (LED, adaptive) backlighting, it has too much crap beyond just being a big dumb panel

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

qirex posted:

like when sonos came out all the big companies were like "oh this won't go anywhere it costs too much and only plays music"

and now they all sell wifi speakers

from a few pages back, but actually everyone in the audio industry wanted to do sonos style wireless speakers for years, its just that nobody could be assed to develop an actual solution to do it like sonos did. that's why suddenly everyone launched them in 2014, because now there's finally 3rd party solutions you can just drop in to a product that enable multiroom audio streaming that are actually cheap enough to productize

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

eschaton posted:

we used one of the Westinghouse 42in HDMI monitors for a long time, just left it on HDMI input and fed it from our receiver, it worked great

it's basically a giant Cinema Display HD (matte screen and all) from 2005 and now it's our dining/gaming room TV and still works just great

I don't like our 55in Sony in the living room as much, though it gets darker thanks to modern (LED, adaptive) backlighting, it has too much crap beyond just being a big dumb panel

What's a dining/gaming room

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

pagancow posted:

Apple TV doesn't support CEC.

cec is garbage. you can half rear end support like 2 commands and claim cec support. which is why a lot of blu ray player/tv combos that support cec still require you to use two remote controls to power on/off your stuff: most tvs only support sending a power off command to connected devices, not a power on command; and most blu ray players only support sending a power on command, not a power off command. or vice versa, i forget which way it works.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

qirex posted:

high resolution audio is like way, way more useless than 4k tv [which is already moderately useless]

high resolution audio is actually good because it can be an excuse for them to release a track with different (sometimes better) mixing/mastering, even though if you took the exact same high res track and converted it to 16 bit/44.1khz then nobody would be able to tell the difference, of course

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Playstation 3 supports it well, and Vizio supports it, and so does onkyo

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

fart simpson posted:

high resolution audio is actually good because it can be an excuse for them to release a track with different (sometimes better) mixing/mastering, even though if you took the exact same high res track and converted it to 16 bit/44.1khz then nobody would be able to tell the difference, of course

Higher quality audio was able to be sold with movies becuause audio engineers on movies are union, are paid well, and are talented.

people making music for bandcamp.....

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

pagancow posted:

Playstation 3 supports it well, and Vizio supports it, and so does onkyo

yeah but 2 years ago my job was basically testing different combinations of blu ray players/tvs/receivers/soundbars with hdmi etc, and at that point, cec support was generally not good. i doubt it's changed a lot.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

all of my company's blu ray players have a coaxial but no optical audio output, and all of our soundbars have an optical but no coaxial input.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Apple TV is garbage

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Don Lapre posted:

Apple TV is garbage

what's better?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

fart simpson posted:

all of my company's blu ray players have a coaxial but no optical audio output, and all of our soundbars have an optical but no coaxial input.

It seems coax spdif is dying sadly. I guess nobody wants a connection they can use an existing cord for that always connects properly and is never loose.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

fart simpson posted:

what's better?

Roku

edit; Also *

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Don Lapre posted:

It seems coax spdif is dying sadly. I guess nobody wants a connection they can use an existing cord for that always connects properly and is never loose.

i bought a couple optical cables last month and they inserted correctly but when i wanted to unplug them i found out the connectors were slightly too big and i pulled hard and ripped out the output jack of the source and on the other end the connector broke off and got stuck inside the playbar's input jack and i had to use needle nose pliers to get it out and now the playbar's optical in is janky and you have to use tape to hold optical cables in exactly the right spot or the audio cuts out

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

fart simpson posted:

i bought a couple optical cables last month and they inserted correctly but when i wanted to unplug them i found out the connectors were slightly too big and i pulled hard and ripped out the output jack of the source and on the other end the connector broke off and got stuck inside the playbar's input jack and i had to use needle nose pliers to get it out and now the playbar's optical in is janky and you have to use tape to hold optical cables in exactly the right spot or the audio cuts out

epIC fAil

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

qirex posted:

pagancow go away

maybe this awful dithering will repel you

the poor readability of this is making me mad

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Chill Callahan posted:

it's like a dining room with one of these as the table

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Chill Callahan posted:

• Locked thread