Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

literally a fish posted:

SBC enthusiast goons! I know at least one of you has to have a set of Vortec 5700 (1996-2002, the Gen1 SBC 5700, not the LS one) heads (and an intake) lying around somewhere. If I'm lucky, maybe you even had the guide bosses machined to raise the max valve lift!

If the above description matches you, PM me or post here! I want your used small block parts! (Bonus points if you also have valve covers and a stock TBI intake! The bolt pattern is different from L05 to L31! drat you GM!)

Did you edit in the bit about the L31 intake manifold bolt angle being different? I was about to point that out.

There were some TBI Vortecs in Express Vans, but the only time I've seen one in a yard the manifold was already pulled. Maybe you'll have luck.

Might as well just yank the heads at the same time, pick n pull usually has several Vortec trucks in the yard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

IOwnCalculus posted:

If this was 10 years ago I'd have been able to hook you up with my used ones :v:

The L31 heads are great, just gotta machine those bosses (as you already know) and get an intake that fits them. I've never heard of an actual TBI Vortec, just the garbage spider-injector factory setup. I did find references to a GMPP TBI intake but it seems to be quite spendy. If you want to stay TBI, get a carb manifold and an adapter plate.

Like I said, I think the Express Van Vortecs were TBI. At least, that's what internet research yields. You're probably right that a 4-barrel intake plus an adapter is probably easier, though.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

chrisgt posted:

I don't really have a good grasp what's what with GM products. Someone will need to sperg me up a list of what to look for, or I can just go to the yard and take stock of what's there for late 90's trucks. I should be able to get a set of heads for around $50

'96 to '99 fullsize truck, or up to '02 in the vans. Looks like any other 350, but the Vortec give-away signs are:
  • A/C pump on the driver side, alternator on the passenger side (TBI had the opposite configuration)
  • Vertical intake manifold bolts, instead of being perpendicular to the gasket surface
  • Plastic intake manifold with weird throttle body on top, but not TBI. Looks like this:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

literally a fish posted:

I need the valve covers too, as it turns out. I think these might have roller lifters too which could theoretically be useful.

Oh yeah, good point. If you grab the spider and dogbones from the lifter valley, you can drop that (with some new LS7 lifters and shorter pushrods) into any '86+ block and use a roller cam. Might need to drill and tap two holes, but eh.

I guess if you're going for cheap instead of right, you could re-use the lifters and pushrods instead of replacing them. Would hate to wipe out a brand new cam from having a worn lifter though.

Why do you need the valve covers? They should be the same on your '92 TBI motor.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

IOwnCalculus posted:

The lifters would be in the shortblock, not the heads, and again a '92 might already have roller lifters.

I don't think so. IIRC, no trucks got roller lifters until the L31, but any block '86+ can take a roller factory setup. I think it's just so they could use the same blocks for the TPI cars.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

literally a fish posted:

Excellent.

I shall revise my order with the junkyard goons to include the necessary bits of bracket :v: (or I would if I knew what they were called...)

Raluek posted:

If you grab the spider and dogbones from the lifter valley, you can drop that (with some new LS7 lifters and shorter pushrods) into any '86+ block and use a roller cam. Might need to drill and tap two holes, but eh.

I guess if you're going for cheap instead of right, you could re-use the lifters and pushrods instead of replacing them. Would hate to wipe out a brand new cam from having a worn lifter though.

literally a fish posted:

DEAR LORD WHY ARE ROLLER LIFTERS $400-1000?!

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-12499225/overview/

literally a fish posted:

I was under the impression that roller lifters basically don't wear out, so it'd be OK to use them - awesome if true but if false not the first time the internets lied to me.

I dunno. I have heard that if you're putting in a new cam you should do the lifters at the same time, and when I didn't do that the machine shop pointed out that my new cam had some premature wear on it from not putting new lifters in, but I dunno how much it actually matters. How long are you going to keep this beast?

Raluek fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 5, 2016

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Roller cam:
  • Reduced valve train wear
  • More freedom to use radical lobe shape, you can open the valve faster using a shorter/steeper ramp

Flat tappets:
  • Cheap, readily available

So basically, it's a cost vs performance tradeoff. :shrug:

I have a roller cam in my motor, which is pretty similar to yours (TBI roller-capable block with L31 heads and roller stuff added), but I have a carb on it. I used the LT4 hot cam and 1.6:1 rockers.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

literally a fish posted:

Flat tappet it is then :V

Yeah I went with roller because it's my daily driver and I intend to keep it for awhile, whereas for something that you just want to make some noise for a few weeks I guess it doesn't matter.

Although, this seems pretty affordable if you're not going to machine the valve guides.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-14097395/overview/

Raluek fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jan 5, 2016

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Ozmiander posted:

it's ok, he can get Supertech from walmart and dump a bottle of zddp in it. Not like a 350 cares, lol.

I just ran cheap Costco oil in the 327, so yeah I bet you could get away with a lot. But for initial break-in it probably matters. Not that he's going to own it long enough for it to cause any problems, lol :shrug:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

literally a fish posted:

I think he thinks I'm going to sell it after my trip later this year. FEAR NOT, GOONS! As long as Wes has a backyard, I'm keeping it.

Yeah I just figured you'd keep it for a trip or two, maybe drive it a couple thousand miles in total, and that it wouldn't really even get out of its break-in period by the time you were done with it. I'm glad that's not the case.

Are you doing anything to the short block? Or are things pretty much solid there?

Also, how well does the TBI and computer play with whatever radical cam you're going to shove in there? I assume that sound is more important to you than actual power?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

That is, until the turbo LS swap, right? Or will that be lopey as gently caress as well :getin:

No turbo. Blower surge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYwJlgf2KJM&t=37s

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'd say that's a perfectly AI suggestion because it might be cheaper than actually retrofitting the factory roller cam setup to the '92 block. The only possible downside is the L31 block will definitely not have any provision at all for a mechanical fuel pump. You know, for if the fuel injection magically falls off and you just have to slap a tunnel ram and a pair of four barrels on it.

He doesn't want a roller cam, and if he did it's literally just the spider and 8 dogbones that you can pocket when you grab the heads. Plus, he's keeping the TBI, plus who wants to change a short block in a van when you can do just heads? If the van's short block is in good shape it's mechanically no different than the L31 anyway (assuming they both have the same number of mains bolts)

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

literally a fish posted:

Both the L31 and the L05 are 4-bolt mains, the short blocks might as well be identical.

Not necessarily, my L31 wasn't. I'm not sure which trucks get 2-bolt and which get 4-bolt.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

literally a fish posted:

Well that'll teach me to go stating things :v: Weird, everywhere I read said they were all 4-bolt. Some L31s were TBI (not spider injector) - only in G30 vans, as far as i know; maybe those were the 2-bolt?

Mine was from a '97 Tahoe and had the spider injection :shrug:

literally a fish posted:

The trans in the van is a non-electronic 700R4. Any reason I wouldn't be able to just bolt that to the back of an LM7?

You can, with a flex plate adapter I think. But if you're swapping in an LM7, why not just get the trans its computer is already expecting? The mounts and overall length and such should be the same, right?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

leica posted:

Well yeah, I understand you choosing to being right there in the northeast yourself, but I didn't understand why someone in Texas wanted a drivetrain from up there. I had no idea they were that expensive in the south.

Here in California, it's literally a race. The two times I've got a row52 search update telling me that a truck with an LM7 had hit the yard, I have had these experiences:

Go to the yard a couple hours after they opened (because it was a weekend and I was sleeping; this is still right after I woke up) and both trucks (there were 2 that got added the same day) had a crew of dedicated dudes working on them and both engines were already in the air.

The other time I was pulling an all-nighter working on a project for school, so I was still up and able to go to the yard before they opened. I joined a group of 3 other dudes or so, sitting in our cars, half an hour before they opened. As soon as they unlocked the doors, we all made a bee-line for the new LM7-having truck, and all left disappointed: the motor was already pulled. I saw it on the ground set aside for someone else, so an employee must have grabbed it.

So yeah, depending on where you live, they can be easier or harder to find. If I wanted one, I'd have to look on LKQ or someone on car-part, and they're all 4 figures.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Have you considered a 1uz swap?

:frogout:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

literally a fish posted:

AFAIK no truck L05 has a roller cam/lifter, but they're roller-ready. All the holes are drilled and tapped and everything, it all bolts right in.

That's interesting. I don't see the bosses for the spider. What's the deal with that?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Ozmiander posted:

They're flush, and partially filled with coolant jizz.

Are you sure? The ones on the L31 are pretty prominent.

E: The tops of the lifter bores in the van's motor aren't machined flat, either. Weird.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Ozmiander posted:

My bad, retarded.

Yeah, it looks like some of the TBI motors don't have roller provisions. I thought that all '86+ motors had 'em, but I guess not. Especially as late as '92, I would have expected them to have run out of old production non-roller blocks.

The motor in my car right now is a late 80s TBI block with the L31 roller stuff put onto it, and it's definitely different than that van motor.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

literally a fish posted:

Shamelessly stolen pic:

So yeah, definitely not set up for roller lifters. Interesting. Maybe it's not the original engine?

Not that it really matters, on account of how we're not using this turd and even if we did we'd stay flat tappet.

Yeah. The casting numbers on the bellhousing flange would give a general idea, and the production numbers stamped onto the front passenger side cyl deck would tell you if it matches the van VIN.

It's purely academic at this point, though!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

DrakeriderCa posted:

Jesus Christ, I wish SBC's/LSx's were that cheap here.

If it's a '97 5.7, it's an L31 anyway. LSx's are probably a bit more valuable, although Kastein can get 'em for cheap anyway. I'm a bit envious, myself.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Ferremit posted:

Look, you dumbarses chose the imperial system, loving stick to it. Dont be all english and mix the two up just for shits and giggles....

I wonder how many people in the USA hear 6.0L and then spend the rest of the day trying to get their head around the concept of a "Litre"

Soda comes in 2L bottles, so I'd imagine it's not as foreign as you think. Just not preferred.

Plus, a liter is about a quart, right? :v:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

literally a fish posted:

LADIES AND GOONS HAVE YOU EVER WANTED TO BE ABLE TO CONSIDER YOURSELF RESPONSIBLE FOR AT LEAST SOME PART OF THIS INSANITY? TO LEAVE YOUR MARK ON THE WORLD AND MAKE IT JUST A TINY BIT STRANGER FOR THE LOW LOW PRICE OF LIKE $10.70 IN SOME CASES?

Well congratufuckinlations! I've been assembling an Amazon list of things we'll probably need and I figured gently caress it, what the hell, some of you might be insane enough to buy us a tube of windo-weld. Probably not, but I lose literally nothing by posting!

If you click this magical link your web browser will be spirited away to an Amazon wish list type dealio page where you too can be responsible for boxes of chevrolet parts appearing on Adiabatic's doorstep!

It's a thoroughly uninteresting list at this point partly due to some things still being up in the air regarding exactly what engine/trans we're going to land up with, but some stuff (like those engine mounts and that tube of windo-weld) is definitely going to be required, and i've marked that stuff as "highest" priority mostly so that I personally don't forget this poo poo.

Do I expect a single one of you to buy a single goddamn thing? Nope! But hey, gently caress it!

In other news, over in Ken's thread he's making headway on getting his MJ working again so that hopefully next week we can finally acquire a powertrain for this magnificent machine and set a bunch of things in stone that are currently set in some kind of semi-thick mud. Maybe that corn starch stuff.

Regarding your choice of swap mount plates, you might consider the sliding ones since your space is tight in there. Sliding the engine forward or backwards by a half inch might be helpful? Who knows.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

literally a fish posted:

Ja, it's not that i'm concerned about 250k on an LM7, it's that I'm sliiiiiightly concerned about 250k of abuse and neglect on a 4L60E and to a lesser extent the LM7 itself.

Also, when you ask a motor that's gone 250k at 290HP and ask it to put out 450HP, it might get angry at you. Not necessarily, but you'd certainly run a higher risk.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kastein posted:

I'll check if the O2 sensors were included (are they in the manifolds or Ypipe? I didn't notice) in the morning and see what else I can tell you.

Y pipe, like 4" from the flange where it bolts to the manifolds.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kastein posted:

https://www.bbbind.com/free_tsb.html mash the big red wiring diagrams button and have fun.

Throws a certificate error, then 404s. :crossarms:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

iForge posted:

Engine is on a pallet at absentmindedwelder's shop for the time being. The hitch basket is permanently bent but didnt look like it was about to fail to be honest. It is going in the dumpster regardless. Goodnight sweet prince.

Oh, it's a 2000 with the iron heads. Gonna go grab some 5.3 heads for a little more compression and lighter weight? I always forget those iron ones exist.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

literally a fish posted:

I was told 2002. All LQ4s have iron heads, no? It has to be from the 2002 and older model years because from 2003-up they went flex fuel (injector change) and ethrottle, and those newer ones don't have a standard return-type fuel system with an integrated regulator :v:

I don't think I'm really gonna be worrying about weight in this thing. And if it lands up getting a turbo kit for next year... :3:

Bizarre, I thought it was just 2000 (maybe some 99s also?). But I'm sure you've done more research than I have since it's your motor!

E: Internet says that the iron head '99-'00 motors have a longer crankshaft than all the other LS motors, so that will be fun!

I guess measuring the crank is one way to know for sure if it's a '00 down or a '01 up. That way you'd know for sure.

Raluek fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jul 22, 2016

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

literally a fish posted:

It's a cam and a set of valve springs away from 400hp, i'm told :v:

But hey aren't iron heads better for when we slap a turbo on

By all indications, the iron heads perform just about exactly the same as the aluminum ones. Plus, I don't think Denmah has had any aluminum head casting failures, and if anyone was going to, he would. I think it's just a matter of weight (and maybe cooling).

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Now that you're buying an already-driving vehicle with an LS-ish motor, how about all the money that you get from sale of van parts turns into speed parts for the Tahoe? You could trick it out pretty well considering you don't have to worry about how the motor is going to mate with the vehicle, etc. Start with heads/cam/springs/headers, end up with FI or nitrous or something if you have a budget surplus!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Put the V8 motor in the new vehicle that you buy from Craigslist.

A Tahoe will already have an appropriate motor, though. Unless you mean dual-engine? He could upgrade a 4.8 or 5.3 truck to a 6.0, I suppose.

• Locked thread