Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Fish likes to dumb down his IQ from time to time for some weird reason. And visiting the US can do that! WALMART! BURGERS! GUNS! MURIKA! MUSCLE CARS! GUNS! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

literally a fish posted:

I could build a van that ran entirely on self-distilled bud light

People actually drink that poo poo?

literally a fish posted:

Did you know they all think we drink Foster's? Nobody drinks Foster's! Foster's sold in the US is even made in the USA

And KingPave is right, beer comes in slabs mate - send bazza down the bottle-o to grab a slab of carlton and a slab of VB, that'll get us set for 'straya day, just have to remember to pick up some snags and steaks a couple days early

Nobody in the US drinks that poo poo either.

I have no idea what the gently caress you said in the second sentence though.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

And here Adiabatic got my hopes up about saving the original engine when he actually got it started.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ferremit posted:

I wonder how many people in the USA hear 6.0L and then spend the rest of the day trying to get their head around the concept of a "Litre"

None.

Because we spell it "liter" :haw:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

RoadKill has slammed together less in 72 hours and driven it across the country. :colbert:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

literally a fish posted:

Anyone live in/near Norfolk, VA? http://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/5528223645.html

Though this was posted 29 days ago and seems way too cheap so there has to be something up or it'll be gone. VIN checks out though.

It's now on a salvage auction site.

"Buy it now" price is $1,125. Nobody has bid on it yet, so it could possibly be had for much less.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I thought he usually just filed the original rings down a bit to open up the gap?

I know for drat sure I've heard him mention doing that before on an engine, but I have no idea if he still does that.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So who's going to do the honors of breaking in the rear suspension with LaF?

:quagmire:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

kastein posted:

I don't know if it had VATS or if it was turned off before ripping the cab off and scrapping it so I don't want to try and fire it up and get you locked out of the ecu or something. I know absolutely nothing about tuning these.

The worst that will happen is it just won't crank. It won't lock you out of anything except the starter, and it'll forget everything after the battery is disconnected.

Depending on the VATS implementation, you can sometimes get around it by leaving the ignition on for 10-30 minutes. I think it's 30 minutes if it's the first time you've tried to start it with VATS issues, then 10 minutes every time after until the battery is disconnected again.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

How about a 2003 3500 6.0?

I mean... I know it's a year off, but it's the right engine, just with a bit of a body refresh. Scroll a little further down in that and you'll find info for a 2001 5.3. I would think between the two you can probably get most of the way there.

edit: This appears to be the pinout for the 2002 ECU.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 21, 2016

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

What the gently caress did you do to get that custom text?!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Can confirm that literally a fish is not a fish at all, with :siren: photographic proof :siren:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Someone has clearly spent a lot of time in the Craigslist /m4m section. :colbert:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Galler posted:

Heat indexes are bullshit. I spent the last 5 days in Vegas and walked around a bunch in ~20% humidity and ~100* temps and it was a little warm but still pleasant. ~80% humidity and ~85* and above is loving awful miserable garbage.

Story I've told here many times, but it's worth repeating again.

Dallas is humid. Not quite Houston-humid, but it's humid. I got on a plane and went to my hometown of El Paso TX, which is essentially Phoenix in terms of weather (just about 5-10F degrees cooler).

Walked out of the airport with my dad when he picked me up, commented that it was a really nice day out. He called me loving crazy. It was 105 there, but ~10% humidity. It was in the high 80s (both temp and humidity) in Dallas when I left, and nearly 20 years in Dallas has made me forget just how pleasant a dry heat is compared to humid heat.

literally a fish posted:

I just spent the last 36 hours making GBS threads liquid

gas station whataburgers: not even once

If I had known you were into making GBS threads liquid, I would have taken you to a gas station taqueria. :v:

I seriously don't know what set off your stomach though, I didn't get sick and we ordered the same thing. :confused:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Aug 7, 2016

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Is that an airport location?

If so, that's half of the price right there. Non-airport locations are usually a lot cheaper.

Also see if the credit card you plan to use to pay for it offers protection for the rental car - if it does, and/or your own car insurance covers you on (overseas, obviously) rentals, you can pass on their hard-sale "insurance".

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Jesus christ. That's just obscene.

e: hm, if you rent a car through USAA, you can avoid the young driver fee. And I believe anybody can join for the shopping/discounts portion of membership, I wonder if fish would qualify for that?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Aug 10, 2016

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Wrar posted:

(depending on how tall Fish is)

Fish is very tall, at least compared to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I was gonna say, I drive 200-300 a day for work... in a Saturn. I would hope Bitchin Camaro seats are a bit more supportive.

• Locked thread