Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Abalieno posted:

Uhm, the difference between scientists and philosophers is that scientists only talk to other scientists, whereas philosophers talk to all of US.

That's certainly not what Bakker thinks. That philosophers should strive to write books that people actually read is one of his main refrains in interviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

A human heart posted:

The stupid fantasy man's books wouldn't be good even if they were completely accurate to neuroscience

A piercing and instructive commentary, could you expand on it?

Edit:

General Battuta posted:

Read Bakker for the superb tone of deep abominable history and killer war-slash-intrigue. Dude knows how to make a world feel big and old and interesting.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Yeah, this is basically what I've been leaning towards, only stated better.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
One time Bakker said he wanted to be like Nabokov and I think he would be a wonderful subject for a sequel to Pale Fire in which someone feverishly tries to self-publish The Unholy Consult on the kindle

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Libluini posted:

Not where I live. German philosophers are more known for using impenetrable language to make sure only other philosophers can understand them.

You mean they're condescending pricks who don't know how to talk to people?

:sokal burn:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Strom Cuzewon posted:

You mean they're condescending pricks who don't know how to talk to people?

:sokal burn:

I've done it. I've proved people in the humanities have an ungrounded belief in the good faith engagement of physicists in their discipline and are willing to forgive shoddy work in the hope of mending the rift between the two cultures-Alan Sokal

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I've done it. I've proved people in the humanities have an ungrounded belief in the good faith engagement of physicists in their discipline and are willing to forgive shoddy work in the hope of mending the rift between the two cultures-Alan Sokal

Did he say that or are you saying that?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Did he say that or are you saying that?

Figure it out.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Five years gone and on a whim I refresh my Amazon Wishlist and see that "The Unholy Consult" on my wishlist has new cover art and is called "The Great Ordeal".

Huh. Weird, I say. I guess I'll look up The Great Ordeal since TUC is still "currently unavailable."

It releases today.

WHAT DO YOU SEE?

(Re-reading the first five probably isn't going to happen by Thursday. drat.)

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
The "previously on" section of the new book is pretty helpful.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Amazon says I'll get mine by July 19th :saddowns:

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I got mine and goddamn, I wish I didn't have to work tomorrow it is so hard to stop myself from keeping reading and reading, this is some insanely good and horrific poo poo. I absolutely love the little sorta short stories within the bigger story of the Great Ordeal armies, how he'll randomly focus on some group within it and tell some mini epic horror battle tale to start off a chapter.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

The Slithery D posted:

The "previously on" section of the new book is pretty helpful.

It's nice to him to think of his readers with dementia

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
FYI, it's very doable to just read the Achamanian plot straight through and ignore the rest. It was nice to see him have a pleasant reunion with an old friend in the last chapter. This thread also had some great philosophizing.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Book came in today. Peace out bitches

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I have to hold off diving into this because I'm taking an incredibly intensive training course all next week and can't afford to be distracted. :argh:

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I ordered my book on Tuesday hoping to get it today, nope it's coming in tomorrow and I'm going out of town tomorrow morning for the weekend. Shoulda gone to a brick and mortar.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Rime posted:

I have to hold off diving into this because I'm taking an incredibly intensive training course all next week and can't afford to be distracted. :argh:

I'm about halfway through and am in a similar situation, gently caress. I've already shown up late at work once cuz of this book and not being able to put it down. Why can't this be one of those weeks where I have nothing to do MANN

Also, Ishterebinth is just so dark, so good. Pretty much straight up horror and I love it.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Yeah Ishterebinth owns. The prose gets a little sloppy during the descent but it's just so huge and hosed up. This book is miles better than the previous two so far.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Uh.

So.

A lot happens. I'd say it's about as much as satisfaction as the first two books in this line put together and now I'm gnashing teeth waiting for the fourth.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Hi! I just got to the part where Kellhaus recognizes that Skeos doesn't really have a face. This matches nicely with the other dudes face unfolding like esmenets legs earlier. Shits creepy and amazing. I loving love this book especially once it explained the dunyain a bit more.

BlackFrancis
Jul 30, 2014

General Battuta posted:

Yeah Ishterebinth owns. The prose gets a little sloppy during the descent but it's just so huge and hosed up. This book is miles better than the previous two so far.

Exactly so. The first two had some great bits - mostly revolving around Mimara and Akka's drug and insanity fueled world tour. This one, though, just does not bog down.

Leaves a lot of hope for a bell ringer of a finale next year.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

The pitch of a chapped marmoreal rind

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
I liked the Consult plan of nuke 'em from below, it's the only way to be sure.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

General Battuta posted:

I'm reading the end of White Luck Warrior and I just realized the inchoroi are literally the aliens from Independence Day :aaaaa:

I keep thinking that they're just HUMANS FROM OUTRR SPACE and their 'carapace' is just their spacesuit (human face contained within a larger false head etc)

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
How did Kelhus learn about radiation sickness?

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Number Ten Cocks posted:

I'm at this part and I'm having trouble finishing it. Everyone else seems to love this one, and I'm surprised at how little you liked the first A-E books, Batutta.

I thought the slog of slogs was one of the best parts of the universe so far, although like many others I think the arc in Momemn is boring and stupid and I'd like it to stop now.

I guess i find the Slog of Slogs to be be a better Mines of Moria riff than the OMG we're in an insane eleven landscape and tripping out and Sorwheel has a face on his face and and in TGO.

Also a magic carpet? :crossarms:

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
The end of the Momemn final chapter sure was something. This book really yanked me around on my perceptions of Kellhus' plan and motives. I have less idea than ever what Kelmomas' purpose is, but for the first time I care a little bit.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.
The new book is good, y'all. Better than the last two combined.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
All these glowing reviews have got me excited!

I read through the original series again in anticipation for the new book. I hit a bit of a wall on the new series, though. I might skip those re-reads and just dive in to the new one.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
I recommend doing just that. The summary at the beginning is enough.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I read the original trilogy 10 years ago and now I discover there's a new one out?!

Alfredo Pangea
Aug 20, 2007

In Pangea, first you get the head, Then you get the money.

I have not bought a physical copy of a book in years and never have I paid the 30 dollars for a new release hardcover until this one. My internet was down and I have waited years for this so I decided to splurge, and am super happy that I did. The writing is fantastic and I think bakker has really honed his craft of writing about grimdarkness in a poetic style that paints a vivid picture full of atmosphere and horror. That said I think splitting it into two novels is at best a mixed blessing. Parts feel like he padded it out and leaves the novel as more of an epic prologue when it could and should have been an epicly large masterpiece that finally answered questions and tied the far ranging plots together I'd still give it 4.5 out of 5. If "The Unholy Consult" is out in a year when it is supposed to, and it is as large and engaging as The Great Ordeal is setting it up as, then I will revoke my criticism.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The good: Proyas and Saubon are back

The bad: Sometimes whole chapters pass without Proyas or Saubon appearing.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Now Kindle says it's not available until loving September. Ever are men decieved. Completely unreasonable.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Kuiperdolin posted:

Now Kindle says it's not available until loving September. Ever are men decieved. Completely unreasonable.

Wait, what? I got it yesterday.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Kuiperdolin posted:

I'm also loving September, friend.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Number Ten Cocks posted:

I liked the Consult plan of nuke 'em from below, it's the only way to be sure.
Not sure what spoiler rules are so..

I thought Kellus allowed it to happen, or even caused it. I mean couldn't he just teleport the gently caress away with it? I was thinking it might be a way to rid himself of an army of sranc maddened peeps. But Kellus wouldn't really give a gently caress about that would he?

At the end is Kellus suggesting Proyas has them eat other humans ( weak/sick/etc ).

I have so many questions about these books. Sometimes I can't fully understand what Bakker is writing - like the Narindar makes reference to watching the WLW... which I thought was him, which is confusing. And I read elsewhere that Kelmomas was able to change the "Fate" or w/e and throw the WLW off. But I read those passages over and over and couldn't understand where people got that. In one section WLW throws his sword through Kellus' neck ( i think ) and then from Kelmomas view, WLW is just standing there bleeding from his ears with no explaination. poo poo is confusing.

I'm majorly confused by the inside/outside/hell/heaven/gods/zero gods/logos/darkness that comes before. I've never thought too deeply about it, just sort of go with the flow and trust what the author is saying. I have rough visualizations, but like.. if this were a detective novel I would be missing all the clues.

Number Ten Cocks posted:

I think he was specifically searching for the nuke, I'm guessing he had info about somehow and what its effects would be. Basically he emptied out the well of Viri until that showed up.

kcroy fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jul 21, 2016

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

kcroy posted:

Not sure what spoiler rules are so..

I thought Kellus allowed it to happen, or even caused it. I mean couldn't he just teleport the gently caress away with it? I was thinking it might be a way to rid himself of an army of sranc maddened peeps. But Kellus wouldn't really give a gently caress about that would he?

At the end is Kellus suggesting Proyas has them eat other humans ( weak/sick/etc ).

I have so many questions about these books. Sometimes I can't fully understand what Bakker is writing - like the Narindar makes reference to watching the WLW... which I thought was him, which is confusing. And I read elsewhere that Kelmomas was able to change the "Fate" or w/e and throw the WLW off. But I read those passages over and over and couldn't understand where people got that. In one section WLW throws his sword through Kellus' neck ( i think ) and then from Kelmomas view, WLW is just standing there bleeding from his ears with no explaination. poo poo is confusing.

I'm majorly confused by the inside/outside/hell/heaven/gods/zero gods/logos/darkness that comes before. I've never thought too deeply about it, just sort of go with the flow and trust what the author is saying. I have rough visualizations, but like.. if this were a detective novel I would be missing all the clues.

I think he was specifically searching for the nuke, I'm guessing he had info about somehow and what its effects would be. Basically he emptied out the well of Viri until that showed up.

The white luck warrior can see himself in the future and the past, which is why he moves with that Unnerving Grace - he sees himself do something, and then he does it.

The outside is some combination afterlife and spirit realm - it's where souls and gods reside. It exists in some way outside of time, which is how prophecy is able to exist and how WLW can do his thing. One of the major mysteries is how exactly the outside relates to the inside - whether gods cause humans or humans cause god.

The zero/infinite thing is a weird spin on omniscience and the "can god make a rock so heavy he can't lift it?" because if the God is infinite and all knowing, then he's unable to be surprised, unable to experience the panoply of human emotions that depend on not knowing. More disturbing, if the god sees all then, like the WLW, it has no will, he does what he will do (oh hello Muad'Dib, didn't see you there).

The WLW goes catatonic because Kellhus has somehow found a way to break free of prophecy, to exist outside his visions. WLW can't kill him, because he can only see the false future where he's killed him. Ditto the no-god, because he (may) destroy the outside by murdering the world the gods can't see him - if you're infinite, you can't conceive your end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Is the Zero-God supposed to be the same idea as the No-God?