Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
No, the real god of gods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

mcustic posted:

Wait, what? I got it yesterday.

I'm browsing from France so maybe they consider it limey turf and have locked it until the UK edition comes out... only explanation I can come up with. Used to be I could shop on the US kindle store but now it redirects to the FR one. drat.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Just a reminder for those so inclined that there is a dedicated forum @ http://www.second-apocalypse.com/ for discussing the books.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

kcroy posted:

I think he was specifically searching for the nuke, I'm guessing he had info about somehow and what its effects would be. Basically he emptied out the well of Viri until that showed up.

Still TGO spoilers:I rather wonder if mass sacrifice by way of Inchoroi nuke was a necessary step in Kellhus becoming untethered from prophecy like the No-God. Twice now we've had it all-but-stated that the process of activating the original No-God involved the destruction of the souls of human prisoners - and as a bonus, we know this through the Mandate, which means the knowledge is floating around outside the Consult.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Wasn't that an Achamian special dream, not standard Mandate?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Wasn't that an Achamian special dream, not standard Mandate?

I don't really recall which things were/are special to him.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
I think except as noted (Celmoman prophecy from a new perspective) all his dreams are assumed to be new and specific to him as this cycles Seswatha figure.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

This was a very good book and I can't wait to read TUC in 2017. Still fairly confused about a lot of the plot points but it wouldn't be The Second Apocalypse otherwise.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The most vital question - did kellhus bugger saubon?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Let me just state that I hate Amazon with the intensity of a thousand suns. All those black bars....

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The most vital question - did kellhus bugger saubon?

Oh he was all up in there.

Speaking of Cnaiur is back :black101::black101::black101:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Oh he was all up in there.

Speaking of Cnaiur is back :black101::black101::black101:

I like to think he didn't, because Saubon knows there's no way Proyas will believe him, and that shame and powerlessness would gnaw away at him so much.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
I thought he did Proyas mainly to get at Saubon. Saubon reacted a lot more poorly when he heard about it than Proyas seemed to from receiving it. It was a two in one, the shortest dicking.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I like to think he didn't, because Saubon knows there's no way Proyas will believe him, and that shame and powerlessness would gnaw away at him so much.

Oh wait, I confused Proyas and Saubon. Yeah Saubon didn't get special treatment.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Oh wait, I confused Proyas and Saubon. Yeah Saubon didn't get special treatment.

Well, the jury's out on whatever is happening to him in hell.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Just got past the part where Saubon and his crew climb up on that redoubt or whatever it was and go down fighting an endless swarm of Sranc, so fuckin metal that scene was, wish it could be memorialized in a Frazzetta painting

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I'm so sick of sranc. Goddamnit I really hope they eradicate the entire species by the end of the book because I really don't want the next one to be about herding and slaughtering sranc again.

Mr. Soul
Nov 5, 2011

Inspector 34 posted:

I'm so sick of sranc. Goddamnit I really hope they eradicate the entire species by the end of the book because I really don't want the next one to be about herding and slaughtering sranc again.

I thought we might get something cool out of the ur-sranc, but for now it seems they're just sranc NCOs. Also, I have my theory on the head-on-a-pole but I'm curious what others think.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Inspector 34 posted:

Oh my god, yes. Every Proyas chapter was slowed down so much by "Yep we're still killing a whole lot of Sranc"

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

In place of earth, sranc. In place of distance, sranc.

The mobbing scenes and the cull are awesome, as well as the psychology of fighting such an endless foe. But like most of Aspect it gets repeated far more than it needs.

Fun game - how many times does Kosoter execute someone for breaking the rules of the slog?

I think it's 7 loving times

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
drat that poo poo was dope in all the right ways. As much as I loved all the other books Bakker's upped the ante with this one. Out of all the stuff I'm still processing from this I think the Skald sticks with me the most so far, just such an insane way for poo poo to go in a big huge fantasy battle and the imagery of Kehhlus and his actions during it are just so unique, trippy and memorable for me.

One of the second best is is Malowebi's final scene with Kellhus, one of the Decapitants and Damnation. I can now see why this was Bakker's favorite new POV to write Death came swirling down in all types of new and creative ways this installment, fuckin love it

Alfredo Pangea
Aug 20, 2007

In Pangea, first you get the head, Then you get the money.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The white luck warrior can see himself in the future and the past, which is why he moves with that Unnerving Grace - he sees himself do something, and then he does it.

The WLW goes catatonic because Kellhus has somehow found a way to break free of prophecy, to exist outside his visions. WLW can't kill him, because he can only see the false future where he's killed him. Ditto the no-god, because he (may) destroy the outside by murdering the world the gods can't see him - if you're infinite, you can't conceive your end.

I was curious on this did Kelhaus escape the WLW because of something to do with using that ciphrang head to ,make a half ciphrang zombie thing. or did whatever is REALLY inside Celmomas (it has to be something more than just the intellect part of his now dead twin, I thought it had to do with or be Yatwer, since it was a slave similar to the one that helps Sorweel , that does the stare-ectomy) him to yell do it?

savinhill posted:

drat that poo poo was dope in all the right ways.

AGREED! also are you from Savin Hill in Dorchester? If so, what up grim dark dot rat buddy!!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

savin hill is a good street dogs album

Alfredo Pangea
Aug 20, 2007

In Pangea, first you get the head, Then you get the money.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

savin hill is a good street dogs album

It is, the video for the song savin hill is cool as it references all stuff I grew up with

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Scarps

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Alfredo Pangea posted:

AGREED! also are you from Savin Hill in Dorchester? If so, what up grim dark dot rat buddy!!

Yeah, I am! Good to see a neighborhood person on here.

Alfredo Pangea posted:

It is, the video for the song savin hill is cool as it references all stuff I grew up with

Same with me, and to keep it thread relevant, the St Williams Nuns would stomp the gently caress out of those Swayali lightweights

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Alfredo Pangea posted:

I was curious on this did Kelhaus escape the WLW because of something to do with using that ciphrang head to ,make a half ciphrang zombie thing. or did whatever is REALLY inside Celmomas (it has to be something more than just the intellect part of his now dead twin, I thought it had to do with or be Yatwer, since it was a slave similar to the one that helps Sorweel , that does the stare-ectomy) him to yell do it?

Pretty sure it breaks because of No-God related shenanigans, we've been hearing for books now how that bluescreens the Gods.

Now, what exact bullshit Kellhus is up to? Interesting question. I keep rereading the head-on-a-spike bits. :v:

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Pretty sure it breaks because of No-God related shenanigans, we've been hearing for books now how that bluescreens the Gods.

Now, what exact bullshit Kellhus is up to? Interesting question. I keep rereading the head-on-a-spike bits. :v:

Possible. There is also a mention of the four horned brother or whatever it was called seeing what the other gods don't see. And little Kel is connected to it since the very first scene he appears in. I don't remember too clearly but in the stories about people beseeching the Ankokji(sp?) they always get the most catastrophic outcome.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

genericnick posted:

Possible. There is also a mention of the four horned brother or whatever it was called seeing what the other gods don't see. And little Kel is connected to it since the very first scene he appears in. I don't remember too clearly but in the stories about people beseeching the Ankokji(sp?) they always get the most catastrophic outcome.

Ajokli. It's weird that he's the one who appears to claim Celmomas' soul, not Gilgaol.

Also Celmomas had a stillborn twin brother, so it would seem kind of plausible that Kelmomas is his reincarnation, and that his vision of Kellhus was wrong,

Or the Zero god. Which is different from the no god. Because zero is infinity and one is zero and one is infinity. Or something.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Ajokli. It's weird that he's the one who appears to claim Celmomas' soul, not Gilgaol.

Didn't catch that. Some Seswatha dream?

Is there any indication that reincarnation is a thing in the setting?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

genericnick posted:

Didn't catch that. Some Seswatha dream?

Is there any indication that reincarnation is a thing in the setting?

Akka dreams the Celmomian prophecy from Celmomas' perspective - a god appears and shows him Kellhus. Celmomas identifies him as Gilgaol, but "A crown gleamed above his brow, four golden horns, clutched in the arms of four nubile virgins - the Spoils"
Unless the gods are all a bit funny about putting four horns on things, that sounds like it's actually Ajokli.

Edit: Nobody's ever mentioned reincarnation as far as I can remember - but as all souls are the same it seems perfectly reasonable.

Strom Cuzewon fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 10, 2016

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Akka dreams the Celmomian prophecy from Celmomas' perspective - a god appears and shows him Kellhus. Celmomas identifies him as Gilgaol, but "A crown gleamed above his brow, four golden horns, clutched in the arms of four nubile virgins - the Spoils"
Unless the gods are all a bit funny about putting four horns on things, that sounds like it's actually Ajokli.

Edit: Nobody's ever mentioned reincarnation as far as I can remember - but as all souls are the same it seems perfectly reasonable.

The description sounds very specific for it to be a case of mistaken identity. Still something to keep in mind. Just like Onkis being a head on a pole.

Thinking about reincarnation: We have several instances in the text that seem to be hard to reconcile with the concept.
We have Akka's explanation of soul trapping wich makes the soul seem divisible and we have people litterally go to hell.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

genericnick posted:

The description sounds very specific for it to be a case of mistaken identity. Still something to keep in mind. Just like Onkis being a head on a pole.

Thinking about reincarnation: We have several instances in the text that seem to be hard to reconcile with the concept.
We have Akka's explanation of soul trapping wich makes the soul seem divisible and we have people litterally go to hell.

Which is also a skull on a tree. The ancient Norsirai practiced tree burial, so Onkis could be the god of death. Is it possible that the Inrithi have got their gods completely jumbled up?

Nobody mentions reincarnation, but I don't see how the soul chopping completely precludes reincarnation.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Honestly I have no idea. She might be more important than the others:

"the boatsman" posted:

They did hoist Anarlū's head high,
and poured down its blood as fire.
And the ground gave forth many sons,
Ninety-nine who were as Gods,
and so bid their fathers
be as sons....

Did the Nonmen break the God?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Do we have any reason to believe that Inri Sejenus was anything but a fraud? It certainly sounds like the cults have much more direct interaction with the outside than shrial order/the thousand temples do. I don't necessarily believe anything he had to say about the outside.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Well Kellhus 's realisation that all souls are one would support the idea that the gods are just aspects of The God, so Inri can't have been too far out. Which raises the question of how and why he was able to come to those conclusions.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Well Kellhus 's realisation that all souls are one would support the idea that the gods are just aspects of The God, so Inri can't have been too far out. Which raises the question of how and why he was able to come to those conclusions.
Yeah actually, was he the one who first said that sorcery causes damnation? We do know that to be true so maybe he was on to something. The implications of the judging eye are much more interesting now after the third book than they were when it was introduced, though it kind of seems like "cheating" the same way sorcery is. Does using the judging eye cause damnation? Is she invisible to the gods and about to give birth to the no-god?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah actually, was he the one who first said that sorcery causes damnation? We do know that to be true so maybe he was on to something. The implications of the judging eye are much more interesting now after the third book than they were when it was introduced, though it kind of seems like "cheating" the same way sorcery is. Does using the judging eye cause damnation? Is she invisible to the gods and about to give birth to the no-god?

Nah, damnation was something that the tusk mentions a few times - it's in the same bits about prostitutes that Esme thinks about.

The Judging Eye is interesting because it seems to say that morality is a measurable thing, that damnation is an objectively observable phenomenon. It's fundamentally different to sorcery, because it's concerned entirely with the Outside, and doesn't have anything to do with the Onta.

Where are you getting the implication about Mimara being damned and giving birth to the no-god? I never got that impression.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Mimara is actually the only one so far the Eye sees as holy, but the Consult have prophecies about her and people with the Eye tend to give birth to dead babies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Nah, damnation was something that the tusk mentions a few times - it's in the same bits about prostitutes that Esme thinks about.

The Judging Eye is interesting because it seems to say that morality is a measurable thing, that damnation is an objectively observable phenomenon. It's fundamentally different to sorcery, because it's concerned entirely with the Outside, and doesn't have anything to do with the Onta.

Where are you getting the implication about Mimara being damned and giving birth to the no-god? I never got that impression.
Okay maybe I'm wrong here. I thought the sorcery bit was only Inrithism but I don't know now. At the very beginning Achamian refers to previous holy wars against the schools but I don't think we get any details of those.

Mimara is being explicitly protected by the consult. We don't know why but they made explicit reference to her baby and a prophecy.