Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006
Loved this series until the last book and I rage quit about 25% in after deciding to do some "peeking" into the spoilers. Don't get me wrong, I was quite pleased with the ending, but I no longer give a poo poo about anyone anymore and I hope the No God wipes every one out in the 3rd set of books!

This is the only book I have ever RAGE QUIT. WOw...I have to say, that is impressive.

Pleiades fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Sep 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006
"Yea...it's usually not a good sign when you can grab a book on Amazon Kindle for $2."

When I saw that, I was so damned happy! I considered it a STEAL considering that it came out like late July or something. When something is too good to be true... Then again, if I spent even more money, I would have burst into flames.

But, at least Bakker can make gay cannibalism sound beautiful.

Pleiades fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 30, 2017

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006

Amuys posted:

Anyone know anything about the sequel series other than it's about the No-God obviously?

There've been claims that the first book will focus on Crabicus(The Dunyain Boy) and that there will be non-linear stories included. Kosotor is "not done" and neither is Kellhus.

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006

quote:

Will anyone actually respect Saubon?

Pretty sure a lot of people respected him. Proyas was the one with that issue, except with his own men.

Poor Proyas. :(

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006

Rime posted:

It's reaaaaaaaall weird to go back to the original series now and be like "oh yeah, this ninny-prince is going to be ravenously loving some dudes rotting radioactive eyesockets in about 40 years." :stare:

Yea, that and getting raped in every way possible and then hung out to dry by the person he thought was the God of Gods. :(

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006
Very true, Rime.

Speaking of radio active corpses, now that I think about it, maybe it would have been more fitting if SAUBON got nommed by Proyas instead of Sibuwal. I think it would have been deliciously fitting.

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006
Well, it would certainly explain a lot.

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006

Zalakwe posted:

About half way through The Great Ordeal and minded to give up. The nonman mansion sections are nonsensical. Have enjoyed bit of this series now just want it to be over which is never a good sign.

Worth persevering?

TGO? Absolutely! I personally loved Ishteribinth.

TUC...well, that depends. I quit when a certain someone was "hung out to dry" and then the TV tropes spoilers did nothing to convince me to continue. In fact, if I did, I'm pretty sure I would burst into flames. I know about the ending and I LOVED IT! But, that's just me.

Pleiades fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 21, 2018

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006

quote:

I feel really sorry for Proyas’ wife and kids.

I feel most sorry for Proyas. I am STILL angry over what happened to him.

As for Ajokli, I don't think Kellhus was fully possessed until Golgotterath and he apparently didn't anticipate that.

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006

skasion posted:

At least Proyas got dead before it turned out that his disgrace and sacrifice were worth gently caress all. And at least somebody still loved him. His family are probably going to get roasted and fed to each other if anyone ever makes it back to the Three Seas to rat on him. They will probably blame him for the whole debacle and accuse him of conspiring with the consult all along. He’ll be lucky if future generations (what future generations, lol) don’t consider him the loving antichrist.

e: though I guess death is not really much of a respite since he is now presumably burning in hell for his crimes.

Well, it depends on what the remaining survivors decide to do. I also worry about the family, but we know nothing about them and it's really a question of WHO gets there first. No way Esmenet and Akka (ESPECIALLY AKKA) would buy Proyas being part of the Consult. And the Kellhus hologram appeared BEFORE the No God appeared, so some people might end up blaming Kellhus himself.

Honestly, given what happened to Proyas, he might as well have been the one to become the No-God. Would have been some sweet irony and far better than what happened to him.

still bitter...and tbh, because of all that, I was quite pleased that the "sacrifice" was worth gently caress all.

Pleiades fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 31, 2018

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006

quote:

Has there been direct confirmation of whether Kellhus is a decapitant, or somehow inhabiting mimara's baby?

Decapitant is the most popular theory. Baby Kellhus was dismissed by Bakker himself in a reddit AMA.

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006

quote:

There is certain amusement value to watching Esmenet ruin everything, idk. The whole plot line with Fanayal is eye rolling though.

And worse---BOOORING.

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006
"Which book in the series is that one?"

The Unholy Consult.

Poor Proyas....:(

"I will give it a try as soon as I finish what I am currently reading, a genuinely really terrible trilogy by one NK Jemisin. It’s like Bakker if he were a teenage girl."

Is that the Inheritance Trilogy? I heard not good things about that. Broken Earth, OTOH, is said to be amazing.

Pleiades fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 20, 2018

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006
Can we talk about loving radioactive people again? I think that's more fun.

And I think Saubon would have been more fitting than Sibuwal.

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006
"he's unwilling to actually deal with the consequences of them."

Unless, of course, it's Proyas. He didn't seem to have a problem with making HIM pay. :salt: :argh:

Beyond that, you're right. I don't recall anyone else facing the consequences. Not even radiation sickness as they were eating radioactive people.

Pleiades fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 21, 2018

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006

JerryLee posted:

I mean, on the one hand, this is a series where a major foundational premise is that Hell is Actually Real and is infinitely more horrible than anything you could ever imagine, and everyone who took part in that atrocity is almost certainly now going there if they weren't already, so there's that for consequences and for not being fine.

Actually, IIRC, the vast majority of the Ordeal is damned, even those who chose not to participate. And I suspect that some of them were damned long before the Gay Cannibal Holocaust because it's all too easy to be damned on that world. Even Serwe is said to be there.

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006

Phanatic posted:

But wasn’t that the whole point of GCH? To get the Ordeal to engage in something so evil and depraved that none of them, neither the nobles nor the rank and file, were under any illusion that they were anything but damned. No prior deeds, no prior bravery, no innate birthright, could represent salvation. GCH was necessary in order for all of them to appreciate that the only thing that could possibly save their souls henceforth was to conquer Golgotteroth, so that they’d die to the last man in the attempt rather than quail in the face of the enemy and retreat or surrender.

I mean, I’m not gonna defend the drawn-out verbosity of the whole thing but it wasn’t just random walking-corpse rape.

I always thought that the point of GCH was to show the desperation of the men involved. They were addicted to scranc meat and were starving/driven insane. I also think that the point is that the Gods only save who they like because a few of them were declared "holy" even if they DID participate in GCH or commit other atrocities.

But, yea, it would make sense to ensure that they would conquer Golgotterath if they thought it would save them. Too bad Proyas was never given that chance. Still bitter...

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Books 2 and 6 have the most Saubon /Proyas and are thus the best in the series.

Yup. Proyas ended up becoming the emergent favorite of mine in the Great Ordeal. When, er, THAT happened in Book 7, I rage quit. I have NEVER rage quit a book until The Unholy Consult. >:(

Proyas was the zealot who was, welp, broken of it. Saubon was never a believer.

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Early Proyas is still pretty good. He knows right from wrong, and feels it so intensely, but he's straitjacketed by what he's been told is right or wrong and it drives him completely insane. Up until his sobbing hug when Akka comes back I was expecting him to Javert off the nearest bridge.

He certainly is. I always liked him, but the for longest time, Achamian was the favorite. I tend to be a sucker for passionate characters. I liked Proyas the moment Achamian first sees him again. Hell, I think I liked him the moment I saw his name. I also think he's quite similar to Cnaiur, only more humane.

"I think Bakker is legit really good at having a group of characters all having different emotional and philosophical drives and reacting to events in different ways. Judging Eye and White Luck warrior really suffer for reducing their cast and spreading them around too much."

Very true. Conphas got shafted big time.

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006
Yup. Plus, there's the fact that a lot of the choices she makes are mostly based how things simply WERE("we must act according to the ages") and that even when she was "raised up", she was still fairly powerless and she knew it. :/ Problem is that she got boring after awhile.

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006

quote:

set her up as a power player in the Thing That Happens Next, if it ever gets written.

That might still happen though as Sumna is still around and she did say that she had forces there.

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006
From what I've heard, he's currently doing a lot of vignettes for the next book.

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006
The No-God. He claims that it'll center around the boy and be similar to Blood Meridian.

quote:

Isn't it because the books are guaranteed to not have Proyas and Saubon in?

That would be good enough reason for me. In fact, I've made it clear in the past that I won't likely bother with the No-God since Proyas became my emergent favorite and...welp.

I also miss Conphas though. He was wasted. :(

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006
I was perfectly fine with the ending. In fact, I loved it. Well, for the wrong reasons, but I had no problem with the ending.

I actually liked the gay cannibal holocaust and thought it was beautifully written. It's the aftermath of that which caused me to rage quit. My poor Proyas. :(

He had some nice flashbacks and involved Akka and they went nowhere. BOOO.

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006

quote:

But then again, as others have said, part of that added vitriol comes from seeing wasted potential. Few people get mad when some crap hack shits out a crap book. But seeing someone with at least some goo ideas trip on their literary dick and ruin something interesting, you feel you have actually lost something.

This is generally how I see it. That, and he dropped the ball big time in TUC. Thousand Fold Thought was a near perfect ending.

Pleiades fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006

Amethyst posted:

The publisher isn't interested. This series is dead.

The series just got steadily worse. I got off after the first three books but having read the spoilers for the last book I can't imagine how ripped off people feel after reading the whole series. Like, after THAT many pages, this is the ending? Really?

I'm actually fine with the ending. Those who have seen my previous posts would know why. I quit far sooner and checked the spoilers. I STILL have no finished TUC and most likely won't. As for the other two books, well...maybe. According to his blog, he has been saying that he's been putting it all together and writing vignettes. Something like that.