Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006
I also had a bit of whiplash at first with names, but I can appreciate a setting that isn't just another derivative, white trash western medieval-based fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Darkrenown posted:

Sure, the reader can see Kellhus is awful, but everyone in world seems to love him (aside from the Byzantium prince who just seems to hate him because he's so popular) and he's great at everything. Isn't that normal for a mary-sue then? Even Emo-Conan who started out hating him and resisting him falls for him in 2 books or so. Akka gives away his magic-secrets and is still besties with him when he comes back from being tortured and finds him screwing his wife, I didn't get to where Akka sees he's the devil, so it's nice he finally does, but I don't think I'll read any more.

Aren't typical Mary Sues loved by the other characters because they're supposedly so inherently benevolent and virtuous, and even written that way by the author? Mary Sues piss me off normally but I find Kelhus tolerable because Bakker writes him as an amoral psycopath.

I also personally like the ambiguity of whether Kelhus does something because he's a smart fucker, or because he's off his loving rocker.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006
The second trilogy outright makes it plain that a lot of people (of all positions) do not love Kelhus at all. Spoiler about his kids: they're complete monstrosities, that range from mentally unwell to evil as gently caress. Even Kelhus doesn't avoid implications that he's either severely delusional, aligned with the Consult, or even worse.

Corvinus fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 25, 2016

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006
A Wertzone review of The Great Ordeal.

quote:

Characterisation is, as usual, very strong and Bakker seems to tacitly acknowledge the criticisms he has had in the past with a very limited roster of female characters by increasing the amount of screentime for Serwa, Kellhus's daughter and the most intriguing of the new generation of characters. Mimara's importance also increases dramatically in this volume, as it begins to appear that her Judging Eye may hold the ultimate answer to the questions so many characters hold about the Consult and Kellhus himself. The metaphysics of Earwa which seem to hold - on this world anyway - women as an inferior sex are also better explained and shown to be the fault of men and religious dogma (rather than some kind of deep-seated authorial problem) more explicitly than before.
---
This multi-stranded finale is epic and breathtaking, among the greatest convergences in modern epic fantasy, and the notion it was originally supposed to be a mid-novel climax makes you wonder what exactly Bakker is holding back for the second half. The problem with this climax is that only a couple of strands are firmly resolved, with the rest ending on a series of absolutely titanic cliffhangers (as in, Dance with Dragons levels of cliffhangers or greater).
---
For those who find Bakker's vision too bleak, his world too grim and his imagination too strewn with horror, The Great Ordeal will do little to reassure them. Occasionally the darkness gets a little too oppressive and the deployment of (mostly implied and off-screen) sexual violence (mostly by men against other men) risks feeling rote, but it does start to feel like there is a method in the madness of Earwa, and the first inklings that some may harbour ambitions to deliver the world not just from the Consult but from the actual darkness it is trapped in beyond that. Whether that is a deliverance to a better existence or something even more appalling remains to be seen.

Seems like the last part can't come out fast enough.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Collateral posted:

Does this series get better? I am halfway through the warrior prophet and the entire book seems to be characters telling other characters how much they absolutely love Kelhus. Like thiiiiiiiiis much. Or crying because other characters are telling them "Nu huh I love Kelhus the mostest."

It's loving dire.

Not every reader realizes that Kelhus is not a good dude. Kelhus gets built up in a Mary Sue-ish way partly as misdirection, and partly to eventually show how super hosed up Dunyain are.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Collateral posted:

I guess this may get answered in later books but the Dunyain don't make a jot of sense.

How can a monastic cult, or whatever they are, honestly exist if they eschew history? How would Kellhus and his father even know what they family name is? Why would they even bother teaching these conditioned that aren't defective and strung up for educational purposes? Why do they spend all their days learning about humans, how to manipulate them with fancy kung-fu and whatever, if they also never want to be part of, known by, or anything about the rest of humanity? He is talking poo poo right? Do they keep their women chained down in perpetual pregnancy chambers, I can't think that they produce many normal children, never mind these <3 Übermensch. They would be lucky if 1 in a 1000 births were not the baby from Eraserhead. I guess you could say it's fantasy and fantasy rules apply but wouldn't that just mean his metaphysical waffle is fantasy rules as well?

I'm not sure if your post is intentionally obtuse, but the metaphysics of Earwa is: Damnation is literally real, Hell genuinely exists, collective belief is able to shape reality and gods (to limited degrees). The Dunyain are explainable within the setting's rules.

Rime posted:

It's worth noting that the reader scoffs at Kellhus because we come from an enlightened era where the average reader has probably read about the chemical makeup of star matter and are hardened against manipulation by a lifetime of exposure to advertising and the farce of religious dogma. As such, his methods come across as hammy.

However, Kellhus operates in a medieval era where the average man cannot read, the gods are a daily terror, and crafting a crusade requires little more than an uncanny ability to manipulate the willing.

Someone who comes along and says some deep poo poo which feels right and sounds profound will go exceptionally far in the latter world, and did so multiple times in our own history.

Then again, we have Trump so maybe modern society isn't as impervious to really ham-fisted manipulation as the intelligentsia would like to believe.

Modern understanding of cognition and neurology is not that old. It also strongly contradicts many ancient/classical/medieval beliefs and if you went back in time and told philosophers what we know now, they'd tell you to gently caress off.

Corvinus fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 20, 2017

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

genericnick posted:

I'm pretty sure the last part is wrong. Believe doesn't change reality.

You're probably right, though I was too vague. The 100 gods didn't always exist and are possibly fragments of the Zero God that took aspects and traits from humans. Then there is the Judging Eye, which shows Mimara the seemly objective fact that females are less than, and subject to, males. I'm assuming this is due to widespread dominance of patriarchal societies, collective belief in male superiority, but I could be wrong.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Sekenr posted:

I only just started reading (now near the end of Warrior-Prophet), initially liked it a lot but what REALLY puts me off is why is everybody so goddamn emotional 100% of the time. There is nearly 0 dialogues when someone isn't hurt by mildly unkind words.

Going by HEY GAL's posts in the various iterations of the A/T Military History thread, this is historically realistic.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Number Ten Cocks posted:

So I've only skimmed the final Kellhus parts, but I have questions.

While Kellhus is inhumanly competent, he's not infallible. Bakker's AMA confirmed a few things about Kellhus' deficiencies/blind spots and depicting a hyper-competent being that seemingly overcomes all obstacles, only to get unexpectedly shanked (like father, like son), feels thematically appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

kcroy posted:

hey can you link the AMA?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/6r3hba/unholy_consultation_r_scott_bakker_bares_the_soul/

He's evasive on a lot of answers but some are less so:

quote:

Q: i get that the gods can't see Kelmomas, but was it possible for Kellhus as a human to unravel the nature of the threat he posed? Given the Yatwer face concealer Sorweel was wearing, it's understandable that Kellhus never understood Sorweel was the WLW and missed the significance of what happened. But was it possible for him to unravel what happened with the other WLW? In other words, did he just never have a chance to figure it out because Kelmomas is outside the outside or can we take it that Kellhus failed because he wasn't looking closely enough at things that were right under his nose.

A: How is Kellhus supposed to find something he never looks for? The Dunyain, for all their intelligence, remain finite. They are every bit as vulnerable to neglect, especially when taxed by something like running an empire, and confronted with a child who can hide within himself, if need be.

quote:

Q: Anyway, here's my barrage of questions:

Are gods just greater forms of Ciphrang? They both seem to do the same thing (eat souls). Do both exist in the Outside?

Where do saved souls go? Is there a nice part of the Outside, like Elysium in the Greek myths, or is there another place entirely?

Over the last two novels it seemed there were hints that Kellhus was beginning to feel human emotions like love, hence his rescuing Esmenet (unless that was just another part of his Dunyain scheming). Assuming he was becoming more human, his motives that he expresses to the other Dunyain in Golgotterath don't make sense to me. If I recall, Kellhus says something to the effect that he wants to become a god and feast on souls, contradicting the idea that he has come to actually give a poo poo about people. Was he just lying when he said that?

Following from that, why did he have to go to Golgotterath to merge with Ajokli? Was that the only place in the world close enough to hell for the god to break through into the world? But the gods seem to intervene outside of such places, so I'm a bit confused on this point. Was his fusion with Ajokli meant to be his method of achieving god-hood? It didn't seem to work very well, unless Kellhus now is Ajokli in the Outside.

Now for one that I know you won't answer: Is Kellhus gone for good? I suspect it's a bit more difficult to get rid of the bastard than that.

A: Gods are greater shards of the Shattered God, and Ciphrang the lesser. The greater the Shard, the greater the associated reality, or 'heaven/hell.'

Darkness has been claiming more and more of Kellhus as the Great Ordeal advanced. Ajokli was his destination, and the closer he came, the more he began to resemble him, finally becoming him in the Golden Room.

Kellhus is dead.

quote:

Q: When did Ajokli and Kellhus reach an agreement? Did it ever happen or was Kellhus "ambushed" by Ajokli in the Golden Room (since it is topos it was possible for Ajokli to enter the world). I have a hard time imagining that this was what The Thousandfold Thought was supposed to lead to. If Kellhus made a bargain with Ajokli already at the circumfixion (as some suggest) it seems to me that TTT died with Moenghus and all the plans and The Great Ordeal was really the actions of an avatar of Ajokli, designed to elevate him above all other gods.

A: Think of the gradual possession suffered by Sorweel whilst wearing the Amiolas. Kellhus knew something was up, but the 10-sided die was cast. The great weakness of the Dunyain is the weakness discovered by Moenghus. For all the power of their intellect, their spirit is actually quite weak.