Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Mr. Soul posted:

It took me 3 books to stop mixing up tydonni and thunyeri. The latter are conans who tie shrunken heads into their hair and the former think brown folks are gross. A nansur is a native of the Empire but I got them confused with the norsirai for a long time. I still can't say wtf norsirai means though.

Norsirai are obvious Norsemen. Tall, blonde and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Could we change the title to something less off putting? Everyone gets far too hung up on sranc spunk

The Book Barn › R. Scott Bakker: Everyone gets far too hung up on sranc spunk

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Boing posted:

I always wonder why people say this. None of the neuro/psychology in his books leaps out at me as being especially wrong, but I've not read anyone who digs as deep or as well into the philosophy of neuroscience or the psychological problems with freedom.

Because he wrote a stand-alone novel Neuropath which is despised by all goons that know anything about neuroscience and/or psychology.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

General Battuta posted:

Also on reread the second trilogy sucks because two of the three major POVs are incredibly boring. Achamian's thread owns though.

Depends on whether you consider Sorweel a major POV. Because if you do, than we disagree. The whole "Sorweel meets world" part is handled really well and still lingers with me years after reading, and the tension stemming from Kellhus' inability to read him I found quite exciting.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

General Battuta posted:

I did like that scene! That scene was cool. I find most of his perspective really dull, though, and I think that's coming off the first trilogy, where we had:

the most violent of all men
delusional god emperor
delusional god general
mentat jesus
chubby apocalypse sorcerer
prostitute spy who got shortchanged by the writer
guest appearances by the prince of piety, chief bathrobe of the scarlet spires, a gently caress bird, and the death-swirling omniscient POV
and, uh, serwe

Now we've got:
poo poo herder
prostitute empress who refuses to be as competent as her historical antecedents
achamian + mimara's elf drugs death march

That's all right, I miss Cnaiür too :smith: But I have to keep pumping myself for the sequels, now that they have a future.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I can't remember, did they start eating sranc meat in the last book, or is it something new?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Darlan Flame posted:

Kellhus gives the order at the end of the white luck warrior and it ends basically right there.

Time for a quick reread, I guess.

Hope they brought some BBQ sauce.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Kuiperdolin posted:

Now Kindle says it's not available until loving September. Ever are men decieved. Completely unreasonable.

Wait, what? I got it yesterday.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I just realized Bakker is ripping off Final Fantasy VII. :negative:

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

The Vosgian Beast posted:

TIL Atman and reincarnation are Final Fantasy concepts

I wasn't even aiming at that, although it fits the larger picture. I was talking about Jenova, a malicious alien entity that crash landed on the planet and got sealed off in a previous era, but now tries to gently caress with the normal planetary flow of souls/atman to further its sinister agenda, killing all life on the planet in the process. I was also joking.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I hope this happens. Pubbie tears will be delicious. And cast tons of awesome British actors, please.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Noam Chomsky posted:

Why does he do that anyway? I can't remember... maybe the same reason we all do...

If my memory isn't failing me, because he's gay for Kellhus or something.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Noam Chomsky posted:

Isn't everyone?

You're not one of the People, so you don't count.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Also, the Heron Spear appears to emit a beam to the Ëarwans, but it's actually a projectile weapon, and the beam is the afterimage of the rocket trail. Probably some kind of advanced MANPADS.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Cnaiur <3 Kellhus

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

If we're rebranding, we should go with "now with less demon seed"

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

r. scott bakker posted:

It’s been a mad couple of months, but the final draft of The Unholy Consult is out the door. Now I can only wring my hands while pretending to crack my knuckles… My seventeen year old self stands agog.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Neurophage posted:

Personally, I think it's ok if someone doesn't like the books and yet wants to talk about them.

He doesn't want to talk about books, he wants to show how superior he is to everyone that likes them.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

If he has the guts to stick with this ending, I'll be a happy reader. Honestly, it's perfect.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

kcroy posted:

I could have done with less eating dead men's cocks and then thinking about how great they tasted later. I think that was the first time I've been seriously squicked out in this series.

C'mon, who doesn't like sausages?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Rime posted:

And rather than it fixing everything magically, it results in the absolute bad ending for everyone involved?

Yeah, I'm down with that, that's the kind of end note that feels appropriate for this series.

Yes, remember the prologue? The folks setting up the Dunyain project after the first Apocalypse? The series ending with the Dunyain starting the Second Apocalypse as the pinnacle of their two thousand year project just feels right to me.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

kcroy posted:

There were tons of poo poo that I skimmed first time through, I kept wanting Kellhus or Akka chapters, or consult, and kept getting like.. loving nansur politics and poo poo I didn't care about.

The sitcom known as Always Sunny in Momemn is probably the funniest part of the series. Possibly not intentional, but the incestuos Emperor, his slutty mom and dumbass heir are so funny. I am rereading the series right now and the episode on the barge is just plain hilarious.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

kcroy posted:

It was funny, but I found that the episode "Mo' Mom in Momemn" focusing on the Mom's transgender issues was a bit tonedeaf.

Don't remember that one, but I just started the reread.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I dunno, the ending of TUC felt a bit like Deus ex machina to me

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I'd say its stronger than that - the second trilogy is about how the Christian God cannot help but be mean. That any omniscient being will inherently be completely alien an unknowable. As Kelhus tells Proyas, "the God is nothing human". And, eternal damnation is so grossly out of proportion with any earthly, finite sin, then any God supporting it must be psychotically cruel and malicious.

It's not an especially profound philosophical point, but like the free-will/introspection illusion stuff from the first trilogy he treats it with a disgust and existential terror that I really enjoy. He treats psychology and philosophy in a way most people treat body-horror, which is a way better aesthetic than his actual scenes of body-horror.

If there's any proper lit that treads the same ground I'd devour that poo poo in a heartbeat.

It’s not really literature, but are you familiar with Ligotti?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

It’s a fitting ending to the series, I don’t understand why people think there’s potential for two more books worth of plot. I do disagree that the series got progressively worse, the prose actually improved towards the end.
As far as the question of whether the books were “good”, BoTL already said everything better about the misgivings and flaws of the series than I can ever hope to do. However, I still enjoyed the sense of dread Bakker manages to build and ramp up through the series. Few genre writers can keep up like that.
Goon reactions to gross poo poo in the books were also a solid source of entertainment during the years, so I can’t really complain.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

It is pretty obvious that there was supposed to be another trilogy because Bakker clearly frames the story as a repeat of the previous apocalypse, in which the second act ended with the no-god freed and the forces of humanity in disarray. However, his publisher noped out of the series and Bakker tried to save face by starting to claim this was always supposed to be the ending. I didn’t like it as much as I took pleasure in people being riled up about it, which doesn’t cast a good light upon my character, but it is what it is. I still recommend this series in other threads out of spite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

There are no good or bad readings. There is bad writing, like Bakker or Tolkien.