Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Any opinion on the audiobooks for this series? My books are in storage, considering trying an Audible reread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm just going to wait for the main book. Half the time I read preview chapters, ive forgotten the details by the time I have the book anyway.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I ordered my book on Tuesday hoping to get it today, nope it's coming in tomorrow and I'm going out of town tomorrow morning for the weekend. Shoulda gone to a brick and mortar.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

This was a very good book and I can't wait to read TUC in 2017. Still fairly confused about a lot of the plot points but it wouldn't be The Second Apocalypse otherwise.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I think the series would be very filmable, the trouble would be finding anyone willing to fund the production of a story that can be summarized as "Jesus Christ but if he were a sociopath."

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The second series is a lot less character-driven but the setting is ratcheted up in a big way.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

There is a head on a pole behind you.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Yeah the first trilogy especially has a fantastic narrator. The voices he gives each character are spot on, Cnaiur may be the highlight for me. Does a great job of parsing all the jumbled fantasy Middle Eastern names into something a lot more comprehensible too.

Second series guy is somewhat inconsistent with pronounciatoons (Kelmomas' name gets pronounced about three different ways) but improves as it goes imo.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I think it's suggested a few times that Kellhus shifts himself or changes where he's standing to better take advantage of natural light and the perspective of others.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Well yeah by that point I think he's using sorcery in a more direct fashion. I just remember a few early scenes in Warrior-Prohpet told from Kellhus' point of view where he's aware of how the light is hitting him and takes advantage of it, the haloed hands could be a similar effect amplified by people believing he's a prohpet and looking for signs of it.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Mine arrives somewhere before the sixteenth. Curse you, 4th of July and your business day eating ways!!

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I haven't finished it yet, but I was under the impression that TUC was wrapping up this story arc but wasn't ever planned as the final book of the series.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Mustang you shouldn't read any of those spoilers.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

We know.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

PoN is better as an audiobook, not only because the narrator is great but also because it helps greatly to hear someone pronounce the alphabet soup names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Yeah I enjoyed The Unholy Consult and think it's strange people are treating it like it's the definitive end to the story that makes all seven books pointless. Like I'm wondering what ending people were expecting from the second of three trilogies in "the second apocalypse" that they're upset they didn't get.