Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Darkrenown posted:

Sure, the reader can see Kellhus is awful, but everyone in world seems to love him (aside from the Byzantium prince who just seems to hate him because he's so popular) and he's great at everything. Isn't that normal for a mary-sue then? Even Emo-Conan who started out hating him and resisting him falls for him in 2 books or so. Akka gives away his magic-secrets and is still besties with him when he comes back from being tortured and finds him screwing his wife, I didn't get to where Akka sees he's the devil, so it's nice he finally does, but I don't think I'll read any more.

The scene where he finally does is loving amazing. Skip ahead if you're going to quit, it's like 3 pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Alfredo Pangea posted:

I read that some of the Advance Reading Copies ended up on ebay. One went for $150 dollars (Which i totally would have paid if I had it and thought to check ebay) while some of the first copies sold were going for $15. With the waiting I have endured for this I would name my first born child "Sranc Spunk" if it got me a copy faster.

If you need someone to cut its newborn belly open and cum in the wound, lmk.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Poldarn posted:

I figured it was a satellite since it's always above Golgotterath and Golgotterath clearly isn't the planet's pole.

Also I really want to know why the Inchoroi think that depopulating Earwa is going to saved them this time, when it hadn't before.

All the stars rotate around it, so unless something is seriously wonky, like geometry itself, the Nail is above a pole.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

General Battuta posted:

Upon a moment's reflection I think you would have a really, really hard time finding a major character in this series who hasn't been cucked.

Life imitates art.

e: my wife left me for a hole in the ground

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Sekenr posted:

I only just started reading (now near the end of Warrior-Prophet), initially liked it a lot but what REALLY puts me off is why is everybody so goddamn emotional 100% of the time. There is nearly 0 dialogues when someone isn't hurt by mildly unkind words. Conphas has long since became my favorite character because he seems to be the only person in the nuthouse who is able to have a conversation without breaking into tears. That and him being a pretty hilarious IRL troll. I hope he gets to kick rear end and laugh at people if I ever continue reading. Do the books get better later in terms of people crying all the time?

Yes, they do. Except Esmenet, she pretty much always sucks as a POV.

As for Conphas, I can't say much without spoiling, but he stays awesome. Read on.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Rime posted:

I was sorely tempted to change the title to Better Than loving a Hole in a Corpse but I think our current one is a better representation of the series as a whole.

Do not. This is a phrase you can say to your grandfather who thinks you're gay and so holds you at arm's length, and you'll get an involuntary chuckle.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
Oh thank god BOTL is here, I've missed bare assertions and word count browbeating the thread into hating this author too.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
How can you guys have been on the internet for as long as you have and not recognize someone who argues only to win?

You're never going to change his mind a single millimeter. He'll just post and post and post until you get bored and don't reply, or he gets distracted by some other chucklehead that's dumb enough to throw their hat into the ring. You'll argue incessantly about subjective minutia, and in the meantime anyone who'd be interested in having a real conversation will avoid the thread in hopes that it'll eventually go back to normal, but by the time BOTL gets bored the only people left will be the ones who only want to poo poo on the books or anyone who likes them, which is particularly hilarious, that they didn't have the balls to speak up before and only come in riding this unpleasant gently caress's pathetic coattails.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
Just starting TUC, and has anyone noticed the new use of italics to mean, "yo this poo poo is cool as gently caress" in addition to emphasis and elf language?

It's in Brandon Sanderson's new stuff too. I thought it was just him trying something out that worked about as well as his attempts at humor until just now. Has anyone else noticed this? It's new, right?

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
No matter what differences we all may have, love these books, hate them, or somewhere in-between, I think we can all agree that R. Scott Bakker has a very straight dick and was cucked by a guy with a large, beautiful curve.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Mukulu posted:

Holy poo poo this makes a lot of sense.

I kinda disagree, though. What are your thoughts on Bakker's use of the word subsumed in regards to the Dunyain and Shaeonanra? I was getting a feeling that Shae isn't quite done yet.

If Shae is ... gently caress, has it been three months?

If the Mutilated are Shae, I'd bet long odds the Dunyain are still in there in a bunch of places. Maybe they're easy to possess, but they're also a lot less likely to lose their poo poo and give up at being possessed. Hope there's a Mutilated POV.

I feel as dumb as somebody who preorders an EA game, but I have hope that the extremely bad ending is due to him deciding to hold a lot of stuff back for the last 2 to 69 books.

Seriously. Love the poo poo out of these books. I think there's something in the language shift that happened over the last two books. I think that if this story is a time loop, and fuckin Kellhus just had no plan about what happened if he got salted, I'll ... meh, just not read any more of his books. I mean I suppose I could start making GBS threads all over every thread that even mentioned ... nah. I'll just do other things.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Cardiac posted:

On the other hand, I’d rather have an ending with sloppy editing than no ending at all due to laziness or death of author. In contrast to GoT/WoT this was actually finished in a somewhat timely manner and without having 2-4 books with mission creep and no plot advancement. Also writing and imagination above the (admittedly low) standard of the fantasy field.

As to “we can’t publish this poo poo” I wonder whether the publisher know the ending when the series was sold? The crazy things was already present in the first series so that couldn’t have been a surprise.

Reflecting since finishing it about a month after release:

I found it thematically perfect, but the execution awful, with the root problem being that it didn’t describe the world at all once the no-god awakened. Every other flaw could have been forgiven, with an ending that made the slog of dick-eating slogs we just went through have even a modicum of meaning. Another 20 pages could have saved the second series.

Like, give us some sort of come-down. If you can’t figure out a way to achieve the feeling of being cheated and surprised that, after all this, that you’re looking for without leaving 20 dangling plot threads, hey that’s like by definition bad writing. “uh I can’t make you sympathize with this character who is murdered without murdering you.”

As it is, as much as I loved most of it, as much as his exploration of what happens when the wires of sex and violence are truly crossed, as much as “A Dime Saved” made the entire thing almost make sense (Bakker really should have worked the explicitness of that short story into the series, it makes so many characters make more sense), I’m not buying another book until the final set of books is out, and people at least say that it felt like a finished story.

I’ll defend the intention of trying to make readers feel that way to the death, but if I could reduce the purpose of art to a single, easy definition, it would definitely be “Stimulating thoughts (feelings being a subset of thoughts) through alternate means.”

By that definition, the books are still art, he didn’t end the actual world to make us feel the robbery, but it’s riding the loving line in the same way and to basically the same degree, and sucked for the same reasons, that Punk’d was a lovely prank show.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

A Dime Saved?

Got the name wrong: https://rsbakker.wordpress.com/2016/03/22/the-dime-spared/

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

genericnick posted:

Don't think that is how it works.

That is, in fact, how it works. Radiation knocks neutrons and protons out of the neucleus, and formerly stable atoms become radioactive as they decay further. It’s why water that was used to cool reactors isn’t safe to dump into rivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

genericnick posted:

I'm pretty sure the dosis you get from being downwind when the nuke goes off is quite a bit more intense then what you'd find in the human body after a few days. Also most of the activation of other material is caused by neutrons and I doubt you really have to worry about that much if the target is still walking.
Edit: What I'm saying is that eating radiation Lepers is mostly a long term health risk.

Yeah it's a story, so you're always going to be disappointed if you dig deep enough. My point was basically, I agree with the original poster: Bakker missed a plot beat in not making radiation poisoning contaigous. It would have made it even more horrific (and seriously, the reality of radiation poisoning is loving horrific).

My friend who made a ton of money in the '90s as an asbestos remover literally can't be buried in a normal grave, or even be cremated through conventional means. He has breathed so much of it, according to the law his corpse will be classified a biohazard, and must be disposed of by the federal government in a place like Yucca mountain. He made $80k a year for five straight years in his twenties though, so, worth it!